As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

1102104106107108

Posts

  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Do not try to hatch Phione eggs without Magma Armor / Flame body.

    Do you know how many steps it took me to hatch Phione as this was my first planned hunt for BDSP?

    10180.

    TEN THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY.

    I immediately stopped doing that.

  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Registered User regular
    So I've had a good amount random shiny encounter luck. Playing through Shining Pearl now, I started thinking "there are so many kricketot and budew/rosalia encounters" and I remembered that I already have a shiny kricketune and roserade. Wouldn't it suck so much to get those as my random shiny in this game?
    ...
    Welcome to the collection Goldbrick the shiny Geodude. Say hello to your new big brother shiny Golem from fuckin Ruby or some shit.
    Sp.atk +/def. - because random shinies can't be good

    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    Stormwatcher
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    With bottle caps and mints all shiny can be good.

    akjakKing RiptorCaptain InertiaLucedes
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I've been watching Hololive JP's Fubuki do a Shiny Only run. She has a shiny Chimchar and Luxio. The Chimchar took her two days of starting and restarting.

    Presently she is grinding for a shiny Magikarp. She hasn't progressed past the point of getting the Old Rod.

    It is like watching a car accident unfold. Terrible yet you can't look away.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Stormwatcher
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Fun question for people well versed in Pokemon Bank.

    For whatever reason it's not counting my Gliscor and Dusknoir.

    They are definitely in the bank. Help.

    The obvious solution is to move them from Bank into a cart and then back.

    does it?
    Stormwatcher
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Been setting up some games for my niece and I to play BDSP, and I’ve had to do a little last-minute finagling to get everything set up- mostly for the starters and also for the fact two Pokémon are only available if you have saves from the Let’s Go games and Sword/Shield.

    It also didn’t really help that Shining Pearl crashed three times before it finally freaking launched…

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is there a PA group of some sort for BDSP? I have BD and am enjoying it but only one gym in and saw that was an option. Not sure if it's something I should bother with or not.

    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Any opinions on which version of Pokemon to get? It's for my son and he doesn't seem to have any favorites as far as I can tell so if it's just a coin flip, I'll do that.

  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl?

    Just let him look at Dialga and Palkia and ask which one he prefers

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Looking at the exclusives list, I actually couldn't decide tbh - I like stuff on both.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    After playing through the BDSP story i have walked away with one take.

    Nobody is ever fucking allowed to talk shit to me for liking sword and shields story ever again. Like ever i will not tolerate it anymore after Bdsp.

    akjakRingo
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl?

    Just let him look at Dialga and Palkia and ask which one he prefers
    shadowane wrote: »
    Any opinions on which version of Pokemon to get? It's for my son and he doesn't seem to have any favorites as far as I can tell so if it's just a coin flip, I'll do that.

    Well there is also the other legendaries exclusive in each side. So does your kid like birds or cat things?

    https://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-diamond-pearl-platinum-version/Brilliant_Diamond_Shining_Pearl_Version_Exclusives

    There is a link to the exclusives too.

  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Great thanks everyone. I'll take a look at those links and decide. I'd love to show him but it's a Christmas present so don't want to ruin the surprise.

  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm almost done with Brilliant Diamond and all I can say is that I'm having a blast with it. I kind of love how it's a chibi-fied version of the old game. Look forward to them finally connecting it with Pokemon Home so I can move some of the Pokemon around.

    After playing this I really hope they re-make Black and White in this style. :D

    I'll be complete with this soon and will be more than ready for Legends: Arceus. :D

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm almost done with Brilliant Diamond and all I can say is that I'm having a blast with it. I kind of love how it's a chibi-fied version of the old game. Look forward to them finally connecting it with Pokemon Home so I can move some of the Pokemon around.

    After playing this I really hope they re-make Black and White in this style. :D

    I'll be complete with this soon and will be more than ready for Legends: Arceus. :D

    I'm having a lot of fun too and i love the visuals. And i just played Platinum THIS YEAR.

    Btw, i need a buddy for trade evos;)

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I suppose I should probably pre-order Arceus before I miss out on the pre-order bonus. It's crazy how fast January is approaching...

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Going by the official site, the pre order bonus lasts until May 9th

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Just had a revelation where I discovered something I wish Pokemon did (or I guess at least did more often and more consistently than they do already) was specifically have starters gain a second type at some evolution (like Chimchar, et al). Having the same base 3 starters makes sense, but I think giving each of those starters different secondary types would go even further in distinguishing between gens and how the starters might feel over the course of the games

  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Just had a revelation where I discovered something I wish Pokemon did (or I guess at least did more often and more consistently than they do already) was specifically have starters gain a second type at some evolution (like Chimchar, et al). Having the same base 3 starters makes sense, but I think giving each of those starters different secondary types would go even further in distinguishing between gens and how the starters might feel over the course of the games

    They actually did that starting in gen 1 with Venusaur and Charizard. Starting in Gen 3 though they have done that with most of the starters for every generation after that. Strangely enough sword and shield was one of the few that didn't give a secondary type to any of the starters evolutions.

    So giving a secondary type to the starters is quite common for the series.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm almost done with Brilliant Diamond and all I can say is that I'm having a blast with it. I kind of love how it's a chibi-fied version of the old game. Look forward to them finally connecting it with Pokemon Home so I can move some of the Pokemon around.

    After playing this I really hope they re-make Black and White in this style. :D

    I'll be complete with this soon and will be more than ready for Legends: Arceus. :D

    I'm having a lot of fun too and i love the visuals. And i just played Platinum THIS YEAR.

    Btw, i need a buddy for trade evos;)

    I would be up for helping with any trading evolutions you might need. I don't have any trading partners right now either.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Just had a revelation where I discovered something I wish Pokemon did (or I guess at least did more often and more consistently than they do already) was specifically have starters gain a second type at some evolution (like Chimchar, et al). Having the same base 3 starters makes sense, but I think giving each of those starters different secondary types would go even further in distinguishing between gens and how the starters might feel over the course of the games

    They actually did that starting in gen 1 with Venusaur and Charizard. Starting in Gen 3 though they have done that with most of the starters for every generation after that. Strangely enough sword and shield was one of the few that didn't give a secondary type to any of the starters evolutions.

    So giving a secondary type to the starters is quite common for the series.

    Yeah I guess I just wish they'd been a little more ... blatant? Definitely I think could have benefited from more consistency. Bulbasaur had it from jump, Charizard gaining flying was good, but Blastoise is still just water. I don't even mind like Monferno gaining their second before the others. That's fine, I just wish it was sort of guaranteed thing that your starters were always pure either water, fire, or grass; and at some point in their 3-stage evolution they'll gain a second type.

    I also wish there were more Slowpoke type 'mons where it was 2-stages but there were two different possible evolutions. I feel like that's a cool mechanic and I wish there were just more of those, especially amongst the same generation. Pretty sure most of them have been the sort of retcon/later gen additions. Gen IV had Burmy with two evolutions, and is basically my ideal; it's a single-type pokemon that evolves one of two ways, gaining a second of two different types, depending on evolution. Gen VIII's Toxel and Kubfu have two different forms, which is kind of cheating but also isn't actually that different from Slow- Poke/King; though if those count then at that point Rocruff sort of counts, though that's closer to a fake Eevee.

    Oh also *pounds fist on table* Parker! Bring me pictures of more Eeveelutions!

    Tox on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Best we can do is Scyther evo with a shovel

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    They had 2nd typings for a while. One of the newer gens ended with fire/psychic grass/dark and water/fairy. They just haven't been too consistent with it.

    I think what they need more is divergent evolutions for the starters. Like the starters can each evolve into different middle stages, and each of those can go into 2 different 3rd stages.

    Really the only thing like that now is the mega forms of Charizard, which aren't permanent.

  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    All I want is for Mawile to get some love. As is the poor thing has no real niche except for in very low tier play. Mega Mawile was amazing, but Megas have since been entirely abandoned.

    I'm really hoping Mawile gets a regional variant/evolution. Legends: Arceus would be a great place to introduce that, since a regional Mawile would fit really well with the "ancient Japan" vibe. Ideally I'd want it to be Steel/Poison type. It's a cool and unique type pairing and would fit well with a man-eater type direction.

    Lucedes
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Mega Mawile was a glorious glass cannon. And it had that innate 50/50 guessing on Sucker Punch, guess wrong and die. But if you switch and it uses Swords Dance...

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    really just a whole stat revamp would go a long way towards making a whole ya know 900+ pokemon usable outside for funsies low tier stuff.

  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Also be nice if Nintendo would give a damn about the older gens of Pokémon games they still support.

    For example, US/UM’s GTS is unusable because a hacker has filled it full of malformed Pokémon that freeze your handheld if you scroll past them on the GTS.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I am amazed and a little amused that Ilca and Gamefreak literally tripped over themselves to hastily rush out a patch to fix the cloning bug that was supplying quality of life to bdsp by making items easier to get but completely ignored the fact that the Pokeradar is bugged and not awarding the correct IV for chain length.

    And also had the audacity to actually nerf the radar a bit by making chains more difficult to maintain in the same patch and label the entire thing as promoting a pleasant gaming experience.

    I have lost complete respect for the Illca devs.

    JaysonFour
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I managed to get a bunch of bottle caps and rare candy before the patch, but couldn't be bothered to grind out an ability patch to dupe.

    Which means I'm basically done playing until home support, cause fuck that, BDSP battle tower is actually terrible.

  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I am amazed and a little amused that Ilca and Gamefreak literally tripped over themselves to hastily rush out a patch to fix the cloning bug that was supplying quality of life to bdsp by making items easier to get but completely ignored the fact that the Pokeradar is bugged and not awarding the correct IV for chain length.

    And also had the audacity to actually nerf the radar a bit by making chains more difficult to maintain in the same patch and label the entire thing as promoting a pleasant gaming experience.

    I have lost complete respect for the Illca devs.

    I mean it sucks but most devs wouldn't let a dupe glitch go unnoticed even for a rush job port like T
    this

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I am amazed and a little amused that Ilca and Gamefreak literally tripped over themselves to hastily rush out a patch to fix the cloning bug that was supplying quality of life to bdsp by making items easier to get but completely ignored the fact that the Pokeradar is bugged and not awarding the correct IV for chain length.

    And also had the audacity to actually nerf the radar a bit by making chains more difficult to maintain in the same patch and label the entire thing as promoting a pleasant gaming experience.

    I have lost complete respect for the Illca devs.

    I mean it sucks but most devs wouldn't let a dupe glitch go unnoticed even for a rush job port like T
    this

    Yeah i know. I'm just amazed that during the fix they felt the need to make the Pokeradar more difficult to keep your chain going for no reason while leaving the fact that you do not in fact get the promised IV boost when doing chains.

    It's like they came in fixed the dupe and then on the way out kicked you directly in the knee for no other reason other then spite.

  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Also be nice if Nintendo would give a damn about the older gens of Pokémon games they still support.

    For example, US/UM’s GTS is unusable because a hacker has filled it full of malformed Pokémon that freeze your handheld if you scroll past them on the GTS.

    To be fair, they never gave a damn about that stuff when it was new :P GTS has always been a major shit-show in like every game...

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Makes sense.
    No Pokeballs in Arceus

    CruorAndy Joe
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I managed to get a bunch of bottle caps and rare candy before the patch, but couldn't be bothered to grind out an ability patch to dupe.

    Which means I'm basically done playing until home support, cause fuck that, BDSP battle tower is actually terrible.

    I have lost to the first tycoon fight 5 times, 4 times due to BS

  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Makes sense.
    No Pokeballs in Arceus

    They got pokeballs. All kinds. Steam powered, apparently.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Stormwatcherakjak
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Steam powered?

    Electric/Water Voltorb variant, maybe?

  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Steam powered?

    Electric/Water Voltorb variant, maybe?

    Fire/ water perhaps?

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I am assuming “steam powered”. The description says steam shoots out of them when a pokemon is captured and given the time period is 1800s-ish, well, not much of a leap IMHO.

    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

    I legit don't get why there wasn't an Alolan form, etc of Voltorb. They could totally make it look like different Pokeballs :P

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
Sign In or Register to comment.