As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    At least this isn’t Blizzard, who’d just shrug their shoulders and tell us to deal, yeah?

There's lots of reasons to complain about Blizzard, but they switched to a system that allows them dynamically increase their capacity by renting more hardware a while ago. Their weak spot remains their login architecture, which occasionally shits the bed regardless of demand. They also ship more client bugs than FFXIV does, but they patch those fairly quick. BfA and Shadowlands launches were both fairly rough WRT to bugs on both the client and server sides, but the major issues didn't last a week.

The WoW client also has a Reconnect button. If you lose your connection for whatever reason, the client keeps running and you can hit Reconnect to get back in without re-launching the it or re-entering your credentials.

So yeah... I'd trade the Endwalker launch experience for the Shadowlands launch experience in a heartbeat.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    after doing all of the MSQ dungeons with trusts and being utterly gobsmacked that the trusts can actually handle wall to wall pulls, I never want to hear another healer say they can't handle wall pulls again.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    so far endwalker's story is so good that it makes shadowbringers look like shadowlands

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    At least this isn’t Blizzard, who’d just shrug their shoulders and tell us to deal, yeah?

There's lots of reasons to complain about Blizzard, but they switched to a system that allows them dynamically increase their capacity by renting more hardware a while ago. Their weak spot remains their login architecture, which occasionally shits the bed regardless of demand. They also ship more client bugs than FFXIV does, but they patch those fairly quick. BfA and Shadowlands launches were both fairly rough WRT to bugs on both the client and server sides, but the major issues didn't last a week.

The WoW client also has a Reconnect button. If you lose your connection for whatever reason, the client keeps running and you can hit Reconnect to get back in without re-launching the it or re-entering your credentials.

So yeah... I'd trade the Endwalker launch experience for the Shadowlands launch experience in a heartbeat.

Note: This Blizzard bug patch speed does not apply to non-WoW games.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    I'm sure this has been said already, but what's getting to me isn't even the 2002s, which are awful and I do agree with GnomeTank that the idea their client can't reconnect is ridiculous (and I also have enough experience to say so. I also have enough experience as a PM to know that sometimes simple things do get pushed down the road because it's easy/common to think "oh we'll always have time for that simple fix later, let's work on a hard thing").

The thing that *is* getting to me is that when I get 90002 disconnected, I have to re-queue even if I log back in immediately. This is even worse if it's a 4004, which appears to happen when you are being handed off from the login queue to the server system, because you don't actually make it in to the game, but their servers think you did, and then you go to the back of the line yet again.

This is the thing that many other game companies get right, and that is so glaringly fucked up here.

zerzhul on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Since I'm doing the MSQ's I now am at 1778/2000 allagan tomestones... Where/what do I spend them on?

50433.png?1708759015
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Since I'm doing the MSQ's I now am at 1778/2000 allagan tomestones... Where/what do I spend them on?

As you go through the expansions, vendors will unlock in capital cities named Rowena's Representative, like so:

xbkthre3fos9.png
    7pw957b8pqlx.png

These vendors were added in patch 5.3 to be your one-stop shop to handle basically all of the tomestone gear from that expansion.

Once you've completed the quest The Ultimate Weapon at the end of ARR, three will appear in Ul'dah, Gridania, and Limsa
    Once you've completed the quest Heavensward in...Heavensward, one will appear in Ishgard.
    And once you've completed Stormblood, one appears in Kugane.

liEt3nH.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

At 50, 60, 70, and now 80 there are tiers of gear that can be purchased with tomestones and it's the best possible gear you can equip at that level. If you're in-between tiers and near maxing on tomestones the most common use is to buy gear for when future alt classes hit that tier.

There are other things to spend it on, but assuming you have any plan to level alts it's well worth grabbing the pieces in advance.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    which tomestones? tomestones of poetics are for catch-up gear largely, but also some orchestration rolls and minions and other things. there's vendors in every major city, look for "tomestone exchange" or "splendors vendor"

the new one, tomestones of aphorism, are the same as the previous expansions "allegory" and will be spendable once you finish the MSQ from similar vendors in the two new big cities for various gear and other items.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info... They are/were poetics and I used them to shore up my Samurai gear for now, which is also usable by uhm.. Monk I think.

50433.png?1708759015
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Starting to go through Shadowbringers. Doing Alisaie's questline. Fuck.
    I don't... fuck. It's been a while since a piece of media has made me physically RECOIL and SHIVER, but Tesleen's fate did that.

FUCK.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Finished EW MSQ.

I think I'll be in a dazed trance for the rest of the day.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Finished EW MSQ.

I think I'll be in a dazed trance for the rest of the day.

That is so exciting to hear

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Starting to go through Shadowbringers. Doing Alisaie's questline. Fuck.
    I don't... fuck. It's been a while since a piece of media has made me physically RECOIL and SHIVER, but Tesleen's fate did that.

FUCK.
    Not expecting body horror in your fantasy adventure?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Cleared the second trial EX just now. Its a REALLY good fight.

7nwq1pqcpy3d.png

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Question: I have FF XIV standalone on my PC (i.e. not on Steam) but I kinda want it on Steam. I know you have to purchase all the content on Steam to use it on Steam, but does it connect to the same account? Like, am I able to used my characters on the Steam version if I buy that? What about any collector's edition entitlements from buying the standalone version and addons?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    your steam copy will be an entirely new game you will not get to have anything you have already

don't do it

liEt3nH.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Get the free trial on Steam. Copy your game files from your standalone version into the Steam install (It's the same file structure). Login and play the whole game.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Thanks. I'll buy the expansion on the Square Enix installer thingamajig and will go from there.

Square's website, login, account, and overall shopping experience leaves a lot to be desired.

That was arcane but I guess I got it registered, resubscribed, and set up. Just redownloading now, or downloading the update + new content.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I gave XP advice the other day before endwalker released, saying I was going to level up a second job with the MSQ so I don't waste XP from those quests.

I just wanted to update that by saying that the MSQ in Endwalker doesn't provide enough XP to do more than one single job, if you're only doing the MSQ and dungeons associated with them, and not running roulettes or doing a lot of other extra stuff. If you attempt this like I did, you'll end up running short of XP needed to accept more MSQ's before they outlevel you.

So, in short, unless you're doing it slowly and still running roulettes or whatever, pick one job for MSQ and stick with it.

EDIT: To be clear, what I was doing, was doing the MSQ with one job, and if I was over the level of the MSQ's I'd turn them in on another job that I was trying to keep up. All Aetheric Current sidequests I'd turn in on that second job, sightseeing points, most log hunts, etc, just the bits and bobs of XP, would go to the second job. I ran the dungeons on the main job. I just now ended about 1/3 of a level away from 89 when the MSQ went up to 89.

So I guess, mathmatically, it should be fine to have done all that extra stuff on the second job, but I should have put every MSQ on my main job.

Or, in other words, just trusted the devs to know how much XP someone would need to level up correctly to be able to run through the hole EW MSQ without doing anything other than that. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm. I'm undecided on what tank and melee job to level first (for role quests).

DRK is my most comfortable tank probably, but the button spread is awkward (so many oGCDs still, and such). PLD has a similar problem because of their spellcasting combo (without that I'd fit everything in comfortable reach easy). WAR of course is the button minimalist.

And melee... I haven't really done melee in ages. I know NIN and DRG well. SAM never clicked for me (though partly that was the awkwardness of their buffs and AoE rotation), nor did MNK really (but that's totally overhauled). And I haven't tried Reaper yet, but.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    FFXIV EW MSQ is delivering the goods.

There were a few pieces I'd love to highlight, but I don't want to even give the chance for a spoiler tag misclick robbing someone of the same feels.

Definitely would have been nicer had they delayed a smidge closer to the end of the year so I could shirk work and main line this MSQ more.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There seems to really be very little actual overlap between Sage and Scholar in practice - in fact they work REALLY well together. The only things that are directly incompatible are Diagnosis/Prognosis and Adlo/Succor, the former of which is easily remedied by simply not using Eukrasia, but is in practice notably more efficient than Scholar's shields.

Main issue though is since Sage was ostensibly sold as a second barrier healer, and since it's too new for most people to really know anything yet, they just turn their brains off and refuse to let them group together. Waiting for when to change over time.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Donnicton wrote: »
    There seems to really be very little actual overlap between Sage and Scholar in practice - in fact they work REALLY well together. The only things that are directly incompatible are Diagnosis/Prognosis and Adlo/Succor, the former of which is easily remedied by simply not using Eukrasia, but is in practice notably more efficient than Scholar's shields.

Main issue though is since Sage was ostensibly sold as a second barrier healer, and since it's too new for most people to really know anything yet, they just turn their brains off and refuse to let them group together. Waiting for when to change over time.

This seemed like a good initial impression of where Sage fits into healing, with the caveat that my own Sage just hit 80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PupCnW8WzXU

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It is kinda surreal to keep seeing the name
    Labyrinthos
    in this expansion.

It isn't the primary name I used in online games, but I have used it regularly enough to feel attached to it, since the first Xenosaga game; so almost exactly 20 years.

I've had characters in every online game I've ever played with that name, and in fact one of my retainers has that name, and has had it for some time, in XIV. Characters in AO, WoW, D3, and on and on. not even just in online games either. any game that has a character creator. Usually classes that are dark, like Necromancers or Warlocks and the like.

I mean, it's not like I made it up or anything, obviously, but it is so rarely used in media (that I consume anyway), despite being a pretty awesome name. :lol:

Anyway, closing in on the end, I think. I know I'm in the last zone, just not sure if I'll finish the story tonight, or it'll have to wait for tomorrow. It's getting pretty late, but lets see. :)

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It seems they've redesigned their account page.

The "cancel your subscription" and "delete your account" buttons are no longer right next to each other.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I'm only level 82. I've been going slow and taking my time. Plus I also leveled Sage from 70-80 before I started on the MSQ.

But... (story discussion / spoilers)
    I'm still not sold on Fandaniel as a villain. He is unconvincing as a viable threat. We foiled him like 3 times in the Shadowbringers Patch content, and we've also foiled him once so far in Endwalker at the Tower of Zot.

For a villain to be a threat, there needs to be a sense that they can actually win. That they can actually accomplish whatever insane plan they're cooking. And I do not get that even a little bit from Fandaniel. He's so harmless so far.

I'm prepared to be amazed. I want to be amazed. But after the Shadowbringers content, plus the first big chapter of Endwalker, I would say he's the weakest villain of the entire game so far. I just do not fear him or his plans.

Lucascraft on
    v5ziyvsti44h.png

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Just secured my fourth MSQ aether current in the 86/87 MSQ range. regarding the happenings in that zone:
    I guess now I know who the big end fight is against since Zodiark cacked it so early. And we finally have the full context of Answers I guess.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Must... not... habitually click... spoilers...

Sages feel really good to play. Like with samurais and red mages, you can really feel the difference between the 2.0 class designs and later class designs. Just so much smoother experience.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

This seemed like a good initial impression of where Sage fits into healing, with the caveat that my own Sage just hit 80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PupCnW8WzXU

I don't have time to watch an 18 min vid at the moment, but it has been my experience that Sages are fairly terrible at big on-demand reactive healing but they're amazing at mitigation and to some extent gradual recovery. Kerachole is on the same 30 sec cooldown as Sacred Soil and they stack, so it's like what the fuuuuck. (they also basically have infinite mana, which is hilarious)

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Pizza Emote is up for grabs with a Grubhub collab. NA only.
    I am having EQ2 flashbacks.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    after doing all of the MSQ dungeons with trusts and being utterly gobsmacked that the trusts can actually handle wall to wall pulls, I never want to hear another healer say they can't handle wall pulls again.

Strictly speaking about Pugs here in the duty roulette:

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to a successful wall to wall pull.

1) Confidence of the healer
    2) Confidence of the tank
    3) Healer's ability and skill level to use their spells right.
    4) Tank's ability to use cooldowns and manage the incoming damage properly.
    5) Other people (i.e. the DPS) not pulling attention away from the healer by standing in shit or taking hits.
    6) Communication. Just a simple "I'm gonna pull big" from the tank goes a long way to preparing the healer.

There's a lot that can go wrong in a big pull like that, and it isn't always on the healer. I've grouped with plenty of tanks who have seen big pulls like that done when they were playing a different job, but maybe they're not as comfortable on the tank role, and they forget to use Rampart or personals.

When healers get squeamish about big pulls, it's understandable why they do. Because I'd say only about 50% of the time do they go well.

edited December 2021
    I don't have time to watch an 18 min vid at the moment, but it has been my experience that Sages are fairly terrible at big on-demand reactive healing but they're amazing at mitigation and to some extent gradual recovery. Kerachole is on the same 30 sec cooldown as Sacred Soil and they stack, so it's like what the fuuuuck. (they also basically have infinite mana, which is hilarious)

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience so far - if the tank is getting hammered you're sitting there going "shiiiiiit" and mashing buttons, but if you can buff up in advance you do amazing mitigation.

tl;dr Sage ought to make for an awesome co-healer together with a WHM.

Echo on
    edited December 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Strictly speaking about Pugs here in the duty roulette:

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to a successful wall to wall pull.

1) Confidence of the healer
    2) Confidence of the tank
    3) Healer's ability and skill level to use their spells right.
    4) Tank's ability to use cooldowns and manage the incoming damage properly.
    5) Other people (i.e. the DPS) not pulling attention away from the healer by standing in shit or taking hits.
    6) Communication. Just a simple "I'm gonna pull big" from the tank goes a long way to preparing the healer.

There's a lot that can go wrong in a big pull like that, and it isn't always on the healer. I've grouped with plenty of tanks who have seen big pulls like that done when they were playing a different job, but maybe they're not as comfortable on the tank role, and they forget to use Rampart or personals.

When healers get squeamish about big pulls, it's understandable why they do. Because I'd say only about 50% of the time do they go well.

It's pretty much entirely on the tank. Trusts take nearly two minutes to kill a big pull, and it was still fine doing big pulls with them with proper tank play.

I think if you have a tank playing properly, big pulls should work fine no matter what anyone else is doing as long as they know how to press healing buttons at least as well as an NPC. and I think if you have a tank who isn't playing properly, you aren't going to be able to make big pulls work no matter what anyone else does.

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.