As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new Cyberpunk thread

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I think this needs to be summoned from the depths of youtube for all the people going full rose tinted eyeballs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8&t=399s&ab_channel=InternetHistorian

Goddamn, I forgot how bad 76's launch was. At least cyberpunk managed to clear that bar.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Seen it, as I recall I agree with some of it, don't agree with other stuff.

Also, people need to stop taking games so fucking personally.

There is an entire subset of YouTube for which harnessing this deeply personal outrage and melodrama is their livelihood, unfortunately it is here to stay

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Something I've noticed about people who take games way too seriously is they only ever really tend to play games and a small subset at that.

You'd be surprised what having other interests can do for you.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Regarding "taking this personally"

I don't make a lot of money even as Games are getting more and more expensive to aquire new and legally and as such I can get maybe 6 games over the course of a year; CB2077 for exmaple cost me $80 canadian for a regular old edition. As such, I need to be very careful about what I buy and thus prioritize games that stress content and replay value over shorter games since I have to make them last as long as possible.

So when I pick up a game and it's chock full of shitty bugs and crashes You're damn straight I'm going to take it personally and get irritated when people make excuses for a multi-billion dollar industry. And it's not even like you can't build games with Large environments and stable code; I own copies of both Yakuza 0 and 6 and *neither* of those games has ever presented any bug, glitch or crash despite putting in probably around 120 hours into the two of them across multiple playthroughs. Trials of mana is a complete modernization of Sieken densetsu 3 and despite having put tens of hours into it -again- I have yet to see any actual problems. Christ, I've put a pile of time into Indivisible and underale which are both indie games and neither of those ever presented me with actual problems.

If I'm going to pay premium fees for games then I should expect them to be functional and not feel like I'm paying to access an alpha build for an unfinished product even after spending an hour and a half installing a 50 gig day one patch.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Regarding "taking this personally"

I don't make a lot of money even as Games are getting more and more expensive to aquire new and legally and as such I can get maybe 6 games over the course of a year; CB2077 for exmaple cost me $80 canadian for a regular old edition. As such, I need to be very careful about what I buy and thus prioritize games that stress content and replay value over shorter games since I have to make them last as long as possible.

So when I pick up a game and it's chock full of shitty bugs and crashes You're damn straight I'm going to take it personally and get irritated when people make excuses for a multi-billion dollar industry. And it's not even like you can't build games with Large environments and stable code; I own copies of both Yakuza 0 and 6 and *neither* of those games has ever presented any bug, glitch or crash despite putting in probably around 120 hours into the two of them across multiple playthroughs. Trials of mana is a complete modernization of Sieken densetsu 3 and despite having put tens of hours into it -again- I have yet to see any actual problems. Christ, I've put a pile of time into Indivisible and underale which are both indie games and neither of those ever presented me with actual problems.

If I'm going to pay premium fees for games then I should expect them to be functional and not feel like I'm paying to access an alpha build for an unfinished product even after spending an hour and a half installing a 50 gig day one patch.

I have 3 kids so my actual playtime is severely reduced and my patience for buggy games is nearly non-existent. If the game crashes and I lose progress then I'm more than a little upset.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    I think the problem with discourse in general today is that it's supposed to be unspoken universal knowledge that when someone quantifies something they consume with "X is bad" they're expressing their opinion that they percieve something is bad
    But to me it feels like often people's awareness of that can be tenuous at best and they start touting subjective perception as factual gospel, especially when surrounded by agreement

To an extent. But there's also, I feel, an incentive; not a good one, either. Compare:

"This is bad, you need to fix it."

"I don't like this, you need to fix it."

If you get more of your way by phrasing your preferences as objective reality, many, many, many people will just... Do so. See also "broken", where yeah sure, sometimes the thing is! And sometimes it just didn't do the thing the person wanted, so obviously is defective. (Anyone who has had to work retail and accept returns understands this entirely.)

I’m not sure you’ve actually played this game because holy hell did it have (and likely still have) serious technical issues that were obviously critical flaws at the time of release.

Now Tbf I’m playing it on a last gen console so it’s not going to look as good as the advertising, but the game shouldn’t be crashing after 4 to 6 hours or having doors that I can’t open because it doesn’t realize I have the key, or the sheer plethora of items that are clipped into the geometry of the world while being asked to pay a full 80 dollars at release

I for one am tired of hearing people making excuses for this kind of technical incompetence that has enabled developers to sell buggy beta access as an acceptable business practice.

I did play Cyberpunk, and I did play it on an Xbox (One X), and frankly, it's one of my favorite games. I tried to play Control after, and nearly bounced off because of the downgrade in facial animation quality. No more crashes or issues here than, frankly, any other similarly scaled game.

I suggest you revisit my statement; sometimes things are broken, but sometimes people say a thing is broken, when what they mean is "it isn't what I wanted". FO76 wasn't "broken" because it didn't have NPCs, for instance. It just didn't have NPCs. No bug to be fixed there.

Also sometimes things can be broken in ways that you personally just don't experience. "These traits objectively do not function properly" and "if I drive too fast I fall through the road" are not matters of preference.

Yup. And absolutely none of this--things being broken--contradicts "sometimes people say a thing is broken when what they mean is they don't like it/it isn't what they thought", like someone complaining their burger is missing the cheese, when they didn't order a cheeseburger in the first place.

tl;dr: If the car exploded while driving because it was Tuesday, I'm not referring to you. If the lack of 3rd person perspective while driving is "clearly a bug in the engine", then well...

That is a bug. You can change between 3rd and 1st person perspective at will when driving, but pressing the button to do so does nothing most of the time.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Something I've noticed about people who take games way too seriously is they only ever really tend to play games and a small subset at that.

Yeah, but with my ADHD I can't keep other interests for more than a couple weeks or months. At least my interest in videogames has been a constant throughout my life

JtgVX0H.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, but with my ADHD I can't keep other interests for more than a couple weeks or months. At least my interest in videogames has been a constant throughout my life

Ah trust me as someone who also has ADHD and just started getting treated for this I understand.

But I think it came to the point where I had to ask myself am I really enjoying this or am I doing it because it's the only consistent hobby I have.

Once I realized that I got better at not forcing myself to enjoy things I don't but also realizing just cause something wasn't the best thing ever doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

Darmak wrote: »

Ah trust me as someone who also has ADHD and just started getting treated for this I understand.

But I think it came to the point where I had to ask myself am I really enjoying this or am I doing it because it's the only consistent hobby I have.

Once I realized that I got better at not forcing myself to enjoy things I don't but also realizing just cause something wasn't the best thing ever doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

For sure, it's definitely a struggle to keep those in mind sometimes. Luckily for me, I've always enjoyed playing videogames consistently (though I obviously don't enjoy every game I play, and that's okay)

JtgVX0H.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I just remember the main thing that annoyed me. You can press alt to switch weapons, or you can hold it to bring up the weapon wheel, or you can tap twice quickly to holster. I'm a weirdo and I like keeping my weapons holstered when not fighting. The vast majority of the time double tapping alt made me switch weapons instead, so i'd have to switch back to the one I wanted then try to holster again, and it always worked the second time.

These actions are not able to be (easily) split to different buttons.

Aistan on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Having somehow sat through all of Tim Rogers review, it's hard to disagree with the notion that the game could be better served with no combat whatsoever, just focusing on dialogue, the world, and relationships, a la Tokimeki Memorial.

Also, his comparison of Cyberpunk to FF7 in terms of story progression was amazing.
    (Failed terrorist attack against megacorp, grizzled mercenary, long term friend who tags along, ominous tickling clock, etc.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The combat in cyberpunk is really good though. Easily it’s best feature. I

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »

The combat is a ton of fun, but I can see where they're coming from. The characters and relationships and the world are all pretty phenomenal and could use even more focus.

JtgVX0H.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S6TuHM7EEo

obF2Wuw.png
    Yeah...Cyberpunk has always had a big focus on the action so it being just a bunch of talking would be kind of eh.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ehhhh, I haven't been that impressed at all, but I like to play more for stealth anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Yeah...Cyberpunk has always had a big focus on the action so it being just a bunch of talking would be kind of eh.

Y'know, I both agree and don't. The combat has been "fine", I think it'd be lesser without it and just having the characters/story, but if I think about what I'm going to remember, it's the characters and dialogue. Like, god damn, that one time Judy calls you.

I'd say "I could play a game that was just the dialogue parts", but I will confess to finding the entire sequence leading up to rescuing someone exceedingly satisfying, and I may or may not have made a very, very, very large pile of unconscious bodies that I carefully killed the fuck out of with a very large gun*, and it just wouldn't have been as good at the end if I hadn't been thinking back to the giant pile of dead gangers I'd made.

*I do not exaggerate when I say I hacked and incapacitated every single NPC in that factory, dragged them into a pile, and shot every single one of them in the head with a very, very, very large silenced pistol, on general principle.

dporowski on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I just earned the platinum trophy, so I am done with the game unless they release dlc with trophies. I have to say, the endings were really fucking good. I wish they were not so sad though. Not any really happy endings to be found. I played as a woman and the voice acting was just phenomenal, as was the writing for pretty much the entire game. With another 2 years of development time this game could have been a real feather in CDPR's cap. As it stands now it is so marred by technical issues that outside of getting it for free I could not recommend the game to anyone.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I just earned the platinum trophy, so I am done with the game unless they release dlc with trophies. I have to say, the endings were really fucking good. I wish they were not so sad though. Not any really happy endings to be found. I played as a woman and the voice acting was just phenomenal, as was the writing for pretty much the entire game. With another 2 years of development time this game could have been a real feather in CDPR's cap. As it stands now it is so marred by technical issues that outside of getting it for free I could not recommend the game to anyone.
    I'm pretty sure happy endings are generally frowned upon in most cyberpunk settings. Like, you'll get actual complaints if you have them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    If this game had been built around dialogue and/or exploration I could see how you could make the argument that it’d be fine without combat, but between the sheer scale of the map and how lacklustre so many of the quests are it would wind up being a pretty empty experience.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Ehhhh, I haven't been that impressed at all, but I like to play more for stealth anyway.

I get where you're coming from but if I want that kind of gameplay I'll play a graphic novel like the recent VtM games.

Doing that with CP2077 would have been considered borderline criminal based upon what they'd shown and talked about.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

I'd go to bat for the Star ending as the happiest per se, or at least the most narratively satisfying. The tarot readings really tie it all together

But yeah the rest of them kinda fucking suck ass

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    This one guy in the video was saying the game was a watered down Deus Ex. It was the black guy. I forget his name. That is kinda bullshit. There are more intense situations in Cyberpunk. Maybe he was talking about the newer Deus Ex.

https://youtu.be/rKFtUWqa24Y

Krathoon on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    He's most definitely talking about the newer Deus Ex games. The old ones were great too though... Just a little less flashy about it's Cyberpunkedness.

The game literally went to $10 right after the Black Friday sale at double that. :lol:
    (PS4 and XB)

wVEsyIc.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Fallout 76 wasn't the charming jank of Skyrim or Oblivion, though. It was the worst case scenario for an open world game: Everything monetized, online-only (not even "needs a connection to play" online only, I mean multiplayer only), non-functional features, single player was completely removed (at launch, on purpose, any story with NPCs came after the outcry), and absolutely horrific bugs that made Skyrim seem polished by comparison. Even the pre-order bonuses were misleading junk.

CDPR by comparison shipped a half-working game 2 years earlier than they should have, and flat-out lied on video about what it could do. "There is no game over screen" sticks in my mind pretty prominently.

How was everything monetized in FO76? You could play through all the content without spending anything, and at release the cash shop items were purely cosmetic. Even now they have some convenience items in the shop, but none of it is even remotely required.

Private worlds were pay, and later they introduced things like the fridge, scrap collector, and repair kits that were seen as P2W.

You call it "Convenience", I call it disguised XP booster scam shit. Design a game around those being pain points/bad times and then selling the solution for $5 is not excusable. Maybe if the game was free and not $70, then it could be seen as the only revenue stream.

Plus there was the time they heavily nerfed perks that reduced armour damage degradation, then started selling armour damage repair kits.

I wasn't playing by then, but I still laughed.

Ultimately, I played 76 for a week then walked away, as a Fallout MMO just wasn't what I wanted.

I'm not bitter, and I don't resent people who like it and are still playing it, but it's not my thing.

Now, if they had a solo mode, where it was just you, and everything else stayed the same, I'd have finished the main story at least once, as I did like the world they made. I just didn't like dozens of other people in the world, fucking up spawn levels, etc.

It's a shame, but I'm still hopeful for Starfield.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The Star ending is so blatantly the best one after reading what the others were that even on my second playthrough I didn't go for a different one.

First time through I did the easy way out one just to see what happened, planning to reload after it. Holy shit. Never fucking again, goddamn they really went hard on it with those character reactions.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I like the secret ending. I didn't feel right asking for help at the end, felt better just handle things myself.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The Star ending is so blatantly the best one after reading what the others were that even on my second playthrough I didn't go for a different one.

First time through I did the easy way out one just to see what happened, planning to reload after it. Holy shit. Never fucking again, goddamn they really went hard on it with those character reactions.

In spoilers, could you tell me what the star ending entails ?

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    “Star” didn’t speak to me the most. It’s the “nicest” ending, certainly, but I personally don’t necessarily equate that to “best.” On my first go round, “Sun” felt the most honest for the V I’d built. (I didn’t get the secret ending version of “Sun” on my first go round, on account of having used the blockers to shut Johnny up at least once early in Act 2.)

But all the endings are exceptionally well directed. If there is a weak link among them, it’s “Temperance”, but the storytelling and performances are so damn good throughout all of the endings—including the “easy way out” that Aistan mentioned—that I’d say you’re missing out if you don’t try at least a couple of them.

In particular, it’s almost a shame that “Devil” is gated behind such obviously dumb choices V’d have to make to end up there, because the unfolding horror of that ending is very compelling once you’re trapped in it.

Sneaks on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Sneaks wrote: »
    “Star” didn’t speak to me the most. It’s the “nicest” ending, certainly, but I personally don’t necessarily equate that to “best.” On my first go round, “Sun” felt the most honest for the V I’d built. (I didn’t get the secret ending version of “Sun” on my first go round, on account of having used the blockers to shut Johnny up at least once early in Act 2.)

But all the endings are exceptionally well directed. If there is a weak link among them, it’s “Temperance”, but the storytelling and performances are so damn good throughout all of the endings—including the “easy way out” that Aistan mentioned—that I’d say you’re missing out if you don’t try at least a couple of them.

In particular, it’s almost a shame that “Devil” is gated behind such obviously dumb choices V’d have to make to end up there, because the unfolding horror of that ending is very compelling once you’re trapped in it.

I, uh, that was my first ending. Completely blind playthrough.

There was not enough whiskey.

edit- I do have to say the ending itself was easily one of the most powerful things I have experienced in a game or possibly media in general.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Which one is the 'Devil' ending?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Bigity wrote: »
    Which one is the 'Devil' ending?

If you simply need a reminder:

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

SOLVE THE CUBE!!!

edit- Not spoilery explanation
    You go to the Arasaka daughter for help since Arasaka are the only ones with the tech to save V. In exchange you help her overthrow her brother.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

In spoilers, could you tell me what the star ending entails ?

Star
    Assuming you've done Panam's missions, and asked for their help on the final mission, you fight as V with Panam's help. You choose to return to your body. Johnny enters cyberspace. You leave town with the Aldecados to live out the last few months of your life with your romance partner (if one).

Sun
    Assuming you've done Rogue's missions, and asked for Rogue's help on the final mission, you fight as Johnny with Rogue. You (Johnny) choose to enter cyberspace. V becomes a legend of night city with your romance partner in a fancy apartment and since you will be dead soon anyway, you go on a final merc mission into space.

Temperance
    As V, choose to enter cyberspace and let Johnny live out a full life in your body since his mind won't cause the body's death in 6 months. He gives the neighbor kid some life lessons, "buries" V, and leaves town a seemingly changed man. He doesn't say goodbye to any of your friends however.

The Devil
    You accept Arasaka's help. You confront Yorinobu in the tower and Hanako shows up and forgives her brother. You collapse and are taken by Arasaka. They delete Johnny but leave you brain damaged in a horror show of repeated medical tests. You can either choose to die and become an engram trapped in Mikoshi forever or return to earth to live out your last few days.

put it all to rest
    V commits suicide on the rooftop without ever attacking Arasaka tower. All your friends leave distraught messages about your suicide. (so sorry Judy)

Secret Ending
    If you've made the right dialog choices in Chippin In, and wait 5 minutes at the decision point on the rooftop, you instead decide to take on Arasaka alone. You get one shot at this much harder suicide mission. If you die, it's game over. If you survive you can choose either the Sun or Temperance endings.

These are all really poor summaries of what are all really excellent endings. I'd certainly recommend trying them all (if you didn't already miss some of the prerequisites) or at least watching videos of the ones not chosen.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

put it all to rest
    V commits suicide on the rooftop without ever attacking Arasaka tower. All your friends leave distraught messages about your suicide. (so sorry Judy)
    This one was a fucking gut punch.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is the Devil ending something the you really should not have done?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is it like the Sun ending in Outer Worlds?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It's certainly not very punk.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is it like the Sun ending in Outer Worlds?
    None of the endings are throwaway jokes, which is what the Sun ending in the The Outer Worlds was. There’s significant effort put into all of them. Even “put it all to rest”.

Sneaks on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

In Tim Rogers very excellent and very long review of the game, he states it's the default one you get if you follow only the mainline path.

Oh brilliant