As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ghostbusters: Negative Fear Response to Spectral Apparitions, Guarrenteed

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I finally understand why Muncher didn't just phase through the bars. He didn't want to lose the metal in his belly.

Wait. That means the metal is also compressed into the trap? Is it a pocket dimension?

Didn't he then immediately phase through the roof?

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    She was going to get bullied by some of the kids before she meets Podcast, but it was cut out.
    Was in the trailers though.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    The main bit that sticks in my head from Afterlife is the way Paul Rudd walks into the walmart all swagger turned up to 20 for no reason other than to buy some ice cream.

Cristoval wrote: »
    The main bit that sticks in my head from Afterlife is the way Paul Rudd walks into the walmart all swagger turned up to 20 for no reason other than to buy some ice cream.

Wasn't he still high in feremones, or whatever fires up in your brain when you are falling for someone, because he just had a fun date with a woman he liked?

See my profile here!
    I finally understand why Muncher didn't just phase through the bars. He didn't want to lose the metal in his belly.

Wait. That means the metal is also compressed into the trap? Is it a pocket dimension?

Didn't he then immediately phase through the roof?

It's off screen, so not sure!

See my profile here!
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Wasn't he still high in feremones, or whatever fires up in your brain when you are falling for someone, because he just had a fun date with a woman he liked?
    I was going to ask something similar. The gist I got that he was excited he had a girlfriend (ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    That's probably what they were going for but it's a very good strut regardless.

I'm not looking for an in-canon explanation I'm just admiring the craft!

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm sure there was some kind of throughline with Grooberson having a sweet-tooth or some other scene that was originally intended to precede the Wal-Mart/Baskin Robins commercial, but it works okay-enough as it is. The chaos unfolding in the far-too-pristine, well-stocked, rural big box store immediately after the product placement keeps it from taking me out of it.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'm sure there was some kind of throughline with Grooberson having a sweet-tooth or some other scene that was originally intended to precede the Wal-Mart/Baskin Robins commercial, but it works okay-enough as it is. The chaos unfolding in the far-too-pristine, well-stocked, rural big box store immediately after the product placement keeps it from taking me out of it.

Alternatively, Afterlife's insane assertion that every cooking tool in Walmart is plugged in and completely ready to start took me as hard out of a movie as I can recently remember.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Alternatively, Afterlife's insane assertion that every cooking tool in Walmart is plugged in and completely ready to start took me as hard out of a movie as I can recently remember.

If Ghostbusters 1 Zu'ul can fry eggs on a counter, I'll buy that it can power a shelf full of cooking utensils.

edited December 2021
    see317 wrote: »

If Ghostbusters 1 Zu'ul can fry eggs on a counter, I'll buy that it can power a shelf full of cooking utensils.

Why does Zuul have these powers before any of its preconditions for revival are met? Unlike in 1, Zuul is supposedly suppressed until after this scene. Kind of like how
    Egon "cleaned out" the Ghostbusters by taking all their equipment... except for the full set of equipment in prestine working condition that he apparently didn't take so the terrible ending could happen.

The movie was written with the typical "care" of a JJ Abrams revival.

shoeboxjeddy on

Why does Zuul have these powers before any of its preconditions for revival are met? Unlike in 1, Zuul is supposedly suppressed until after this scene. Kind of like how
    Egon "cleaned out" the Ghostbusters by taking all their equipment... except for the full set of equipment in prestine working condition that he apparently didn't take so the terrible ending could happen.

It was cut to bits. I imagine there are some limitations on reshoots as well because the kids have aged like 2 years since they filmed it.

It was cut to bits. I imagine there are some limitations on reshoots as well because the kids have aged like 2 years since they filmed it.

The marketing was all "Jason Reitman waited all this time to write the PERFECT SCRIPT," and then the experience of watching it is incoherent in several places because of terrible editing. Cool cool cool.

The marketing was all "Jason Reitman waited all this time to write the PERFECT SCRIPT," and then the experience of watching it is incoherent in several places because of terrible editing. Cool cool cool.

It's basically everything from them coming across
    Gozer in that cave. It's all terribly small scale to start with compared to the top of a building in NYC or even the temple in the mine, and then there are just lots of cuts because they need to get everyone back to the farm, and as I've previously mentioned, the Terror Dogs just sit there while Gozer loses.
    This is why I am frustrated that the studio has put Reitman and Kenan together on a contract because I don't think Kenan should be involved at all with a sequel given his screenwriting filmography and Reitman can direct but I don't think he should be writing either. Reitman Classic did some touch-ups but the originals were written by a certified wacko and Harold Ramis and it needs at least Aykroyd's insane ramblings for a core and then someone as gifted as Ramis to mold it into something reasonable. It's more frustrating because I was with the film up to the metal eating ghost. It's so terribly and lazily done compared to something like Slimer which is in an interesting location and is given some kind of background lore, and everything after that is "Who ya gonna call", Ray canonically saying that Egon can burn in hell and then spilling his guts to a complete stranger, and it goes completely off the rails from here.

I just really liked his walk...

edited December 2021
    Ending
    I get that there is some redemption for Spengler being an asshole even though he did still abandon his family but whatever. He did his best.

If I was Carrie Coon Spengler I'd be double pissed at the surviving members for forcing Egon to leave without backup. You motherfuckers fought God TWICE but nooooooooo some forgotten hell hole carved into the inside of mountains with the facade of Gozer is a bridge too far.

I'd straight up punch Ray in his nose. Throw handz at Stantz

Cristoval on
    Ending
    I get that there is some redemption for Spengler being an asshole even though he did still abandon his family but whatever. He did his best.

If I was Carrie Coon Spengler I'd be double pissed at the surviving members for forcing Egon to leave without backup. You motherfuckers fought God TWICE but nooooooooo some forgotten hell hole carved into the inside of mountains with the facade of Gozer is a bridge too far.

Afterlife spoilers
    It was so CLEARLY Egon's fault though? He started flaking on the job and talking like a mad man instead of just saying "I have found evidence that Gozer will return, we need to focus on stopping this." Then he robbed the business, again instead of explaining. And abandoned his family... yeah, Afterlife Egon is trash and the so called redemption is as well.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ending

Afterlife spoilers
    It was so CLEARLY Egon's fault though? He started flaking on the job and talking like a mad man instead of just saying "I have found evidence that Gozer will return, we need to focus on stopping this." Then he robbed the business, again instead of explaining. And abandoned his family... yeah, Afterlife Egon is trash and the so called redemption is as well.

Do you know how many plots would completely evaporate into nothing if the characters would actually communicate?
    I mean, not just movies, but TV shows, novels, comics... Entire genres of story telling would crumble if the mains could actually talk to each other in any reasonable way.

edited December 2021
    Ending

Afterlife spoilers

Do you know how many plots would completely evaporate into nothing if the characters would actually communicate?
    I mean, not just movies, but TV shows, novels, comics... Entire genres of story telling would crumble if the mains could actually talk to each other in any reasonable way.

The actual text of Afterlife is that
    being a creepy stalker towards your daughter is just as good, or possibly MORE loving than NOT abandoning her like a dirtbag asshole. While watching the movie, I had a thought when the Mom got visibly hurt that there wasn't "a single picture" of the family in the hoarder house. "Oh, maybe Egon got extremely paranoid that having evidence of who his family was would allow Gozer or possibly Gozer cultists to track down and hurt his family, so he panicked and destroyed everything to keep them safe shortly before losing his life, something like that." But nah... he had an insane stalker net, just in the basement. No family stuff in the main house because...???

I'm completely baffled by the positive reception to this movie, the more I think about it.

shoeboxjeddy on
    It's a fun movie when it's doing it's own thing, and I like the general dirt-baginess of all the new characters. The schism between the OG Busters is obviously a parallel to their real life actors falling out and that's fine up until
    they have the three of them apologize to the CG ghost of their actual dead friend for not keeping in touch, which feels like it's also trying to serve as a mea culpa to the fans for not making a GB3 sooner which is pretty gross. People are allowed to breakup! No one owes us an apology!

It's a fun movie when it's doing it's own thing, and I like the general dirt-baginess of all the new characters. The schism between the OG Busters is obviously a parallel to their real life actors falling out and that's fine up until
    they have the three of them apologize to the CG ghost of their actual dead friend for not keeping in touch, which feels like it's also trying to serve as a mea culpa to the fans for not making a GB3 sooner which is pretty gross. People are allowed to breakup! No one owes us an apology!

I mean Bill Murray probably does.

The version of Egon in this film should never have made it off the script and it's baffling noone thought how much of an asshole it made him seem. Plus Ray saying he could rot in hell? Second I heard that I immediately lost most of my interest in the film because I realized it was written/directed by people with no idea what they were doing.

Ending

Afterlife spoilers

The thing is he did communicate and despite having dealt with Gozer once and an insane 16th-century tyrant, none of the Ghostbusters believed him and Egon apparently acted more like Ray than Egon.

I mean Bill Murray probably does.

The version of Egon in this film should never have made it off the script and it's baffling noone thought how much of an asshole it made him seem. Plus Ray saying he could rot in hell? Second I heard that I immediately lost most of my interest in the film because I realized it was written/directed by people with no idea what they were doing.

While I agree the movie has it's faults, especially explaining things and being lazy with plot conveniences, I thought Egon was being an asshole on purpose as he knew it would be such a dangerous mission he didn't want the others to take the risk.
    It's only when his plan fails and he dies that he's forced to endager his friends and family to stop the apocalypse by giving the brightest person there a crash course in Ghostbusting.

See my profile here!
    While I agree the movie has it's faults, especially explaining things and being lazy with plot conveniences, I thought Egon was being an asshole on purpose as he knew it would be such a dangerous mission he didn't want the others to take the risk.
    It's only when his plan fails and he dies that he's forced to endager his friends and family to stop the apocalypse by giving the brightest person there a crash course in Ghostbusting.

Err....I'm not as down on it as some of the other recent posts, but I don't think there's anything in the movie that supports that.

Bizazedo wrote: »

Err....I'm not as down on it as some of the other recent posts, but I don't think there's anything in the movie that supports that.

Most of it is implied, when he shows Callie the pictures or when he starts learning Phoebe how to fix the pack, but Phoebe even says something along the line that Egon sacrificed everything, including bonding with his family and friends to stop the apocalypse, for instance.

See my profile here!
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Most of it is implied, when he shows Callie the pictures or when he starts learning Phoebe how to fix the pack, but Phoebe even says something along the line that Egon sacrificed everything, including bonding with his family and friends to stop the apocalypse, for instance.

Something he CHOSE to do, which did not succeed and actually made the apocalypse more likely.

Yeah you can certainly choose to read it that way and they certainly try to paint him as a hero for it, but he spent nearly 30 years isolating himself from everyone and achieved nothing for it, so fundamentally he ruined at least four lives, five if you include his own given the potential he wasted, all for nothing. You could have accomplished the same thing without having it take 30 years of abandoning his child for most of her life, and a competent writing team would have. Hence my dislike for Kenan/Reitman writing any potential sequels because they don't know what they're doing in this genre.

I'd have removed the brother character entirely because guy is distracting and his story provides nothing but vehicle repair which could have been replaced with Ray who could also do the lore dump. Then you can say that Egon split when Phoebe was born because he was aware of a potential apocalypse and the birth of his granddaughter made him realize he had to do something more. It's still stupid and out of character but less of him being an asshole. I love the Egon character, he's a complete prick in Afterlife.

edited December 2021
    I wouldn't say he didn't achieve anything. Who knows how long it took him to find and secure this place, and if not for his contraption, the apocalypse would have already started. Even after death he stuck around to help the living.

I agree his handling of the situation could and should have been better, but to me it's not really out of character. This is the emotionally akward guy who almost drilled a hole in his head, made portable nuclear powered weapons of destruction and did emotional experiments on people and even kids.

The cartoons and comics made him much more likeable though. Perhaps this is what hinders the portrayal of Egon a bit?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
    Yeah, I'm still not seeing how it's implied. Him showing the pictures is just to show her he still loved her from afar and never forgot about her, but it doesn't imply or indicate at all that he was being an asshole to keep them away for their safety / not wanting them to take a risk. There's nothing to imply there was any danger at all until the movie happens, for example, so that's just one of many reasons that doesn't track for me.

Having been able to obtain it digitally now, the wall has dates on for Callie's wall as far back as 84, so it seems Callie is somewhat comparable in age to Carrie and existed before the first film but just wasn't mentioned.

edited February 2022
    AlphaRomero on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Major Ghostbusters Afterlife spoiler and Ivan Reitman
    Fuck. I just found out that Ivan was the body for ghost Egon at the end. That makes me even more emotional.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i saw the new ghosetrbooster and i really liked it three things i would change

less og ghostbusters, maybe even none ('cept for egon). LOTS more Janine and Dana tho, they got shafted

bring in cameos from the cast from Protect The Veil

where was timspork i looked and looked

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i saw the new ghosetrbooster and i really liked it three things i would change

less og ghostbusters, maybe even none ('cept for egon). LOTS more Janine and Dana tho, they got shafted

bring in cameos from the cast from Protect The Veil

where was timspork i looked and looked

I played the live action version of the Rookie from the video game but they cut my scene out in post.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, he got to see his son carry on his legacy, and you can’t ask for a better note to end things on.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Finally saw Afterlife. I think, as a ghostbusters sequel, it has iconography and language, but not the heart of those films. This film is just nowhere near as funny as the originals, and honestly, I don't think it's trying to be.

All that said, I think as a tribute/farewell to the character of Egon Spengler, I think it's pretty good. Hit me solidly in the feels.
    i think the cgi Ramis works for the most part (they specifically save it for dark scenes or when he has ghost effects), but I'm not sure how I feel about them doing it, though at least they didn't have someone doing an impression.

I did like how some of the special effects felt intentionally oldshool, or were at least attempted to mimmick that, even if it didn't 100% succeed.

I'll be curious what happens now; Sony didn't make a company to handle the Ghostbusters franchise just to drop it now and it looks like it did okay for pandemic film on a $75 million budget.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tN5pcQxafpY

This was announced today and it has my interest PKed.

I guess it’s going to come down to the story but at first blush I’m down for it.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    It's probably the most obvious use of the asymmetrical style I've seen. It's the only one I've ever been interested in. That said I think the longevity of things like Dead by Daylight is them constantly adding iconic monsters. Not sure how much you can add to a Ghostbusters game. I imagine there will be custom Ghostbusters, so colour schemes, packs, etc, and maybe some of the film and game ghosts. Freddy Krueger seems outside their target demo.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    There's like six seasons of the cartoon, the toyline and the comic books to draw from.

Would love to see the Boogieman and Samhain.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    There's like six seasons of the cartoon, the toyline and the comic books to draw from.

Would love to see the Boogieman and Samhain.

Oh yeah the IDW comics are fantastic and turn the whole Gozer thing into a pantheon of ghosts.

I am in the business of saving lives.