As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new Cyberpunk thread

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I literally do not remember the ending I got. I seem to remember the cube but that's about it.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Sounds like this game still isn't in the best shape to play right now still. I was hoping that after a year of patches something would have changed or be added to enhance the experience. I keep wanting to reinstall and give it another shot but the current generation releases are on the horizon (lol) so I may just keep waiting.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is the Devil ending something the you really should not have done?

In Tim Rogers very excellent and very long review of the game, he states it's the default one you get if you follow only the mainline path.

Devil ending definitely feels like the vanilla-bean ending for players who beelined to the finish without opening up their options, because the player is essentially just taking all of Arasaka's word for granted and gets their just reward for it.

Re: Star Ending
    I like the Star Ending because it's such narrative poetry from a storytelling standpoint. The core theme of it is breaking away from the promises of Night City, and V learns that the only way to win is to not play. Realizing that becoming a "legend" is such a false dream, saying a tearful goodbye to the mostly-broken, braindead construct of Jackie becomes such a capstone to that act of letting go. A Street Kid V embodies all that fully. With a Nomad V it starts with naivete and comes around full circle. With Corpo V it's such a powerful, poignant turnaround for a protagonist initially trying to claw their way back up the ladder but then unexpectedly finding a real life in found family. And to top it all off, V ends up crippling Arasaka in Night City and creating chaos more effectively than Johnny Silverhand ever could.

It's true that it's probably a little too saccharine for its own good, with almost everyone literally patting you on the back for a job well done, but Misty's affirmation in the tarot readings for your newfound freedom is endearing and romanced-Judy's little recording with V calling breakfast in the background is stupid cute. I don't care. I'll fight y'all

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    ed: I don't know how to delete double posts

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Which one is the 'Devil' ending?

If you simply need a reminder:

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

SOLVE THE CUBE!!!

edit- Not spoilery explanation
    You go to the Arasaka daughter for help since Arasaka are the only ones with the tech to save V. In exchange you help her overthrow her brother.

Ah for some reason (probably read somewhere) I have that one in my head as 'where is my mind' ending. Yea that one I never came across organically.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I still can't figure out why the yolo blaze of glory option is a hidden ending instead of the default. It makes no sense.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    The Star ending is so blatantly the best one after reading what the others were that even on my second playthrough I didn't go for a different one.

First time through I did the easy way out one just to see what happened, planning to reload after it. Holy shit. Never fucking again, goddamn they really went hard on it with those character reactions.

In spoilers, could you tell me what the star ending entails ?

Star
    Assuming you've done Panam's missions, and asked for their help on the final mission, you fight as V with Panam's help. You choose to return to your body. Johnny enters cyberspace. You leave town with the Aldecados to live out the last few months of your life with your romance partner (if one).

Sun
    Assuming you've done Rogue's missions, and asked for Rogue's help on the final mission, you fight as Johnny with Rogue. You (Johnny) choose to enter cyberspace. V becomes a legend of night city with your romance partner in a fancy apartment and since you will be dead soon anyway, you go on a final merc mission into space.

Temperance
    As V, choose to enter cyberspace and let Johnny live out a full life in your body since his mind won't cause the body's death in 6 months. He gives the neighbor kid some life lessons, "buries" V, and leaves town a seemingly changed man. He doesn't say goodbye to any of your friends however.

The Devil
    You accept Arasaka's help. You confront Yorinobu in the tower and Hanako shows up and forgives her brother. You collapse and are taken by Arasaka. They delete Johnny but leave you brain damaged in a horror show of repeated medical tests. You can either choose to die and become an engram trapped in Mikoshi forever or return to earth to live out your last few days.

put it all to rest
    V commits suicide on the rooftop without ever attacking Arasaka tower. All your friends leave distraught messages about your suicide. (so sorry Judy)

Secret Ending
    If you've made the right dialog choices in Chippin In, and wait 5 minutes at the decision point on the rooftop, you instead decide to take on Arasaka alone. You get one shot at this much harder suicide mission. If you die, it's game over. If you survive you can choose either the Sun or Temperance endings.

These are all really poor summaries of what are all really excellent endings. I'd certainly recommend trying them all (if you didn't already miss some of the prerequisites) or at least watching videos of the ones not chosen.

Ah, I got the Sun ending.

I'll do a second playthrough next year, and go for one of the others.

Thanks for the summary !

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

SOLVE THE CUBE!!!

You go to the Arasaka daughter for help since Arasaka are the only ones with the tech to save V. In exchange you help her overthrow her brother.

Ah for some reason (probably read somewhere) I have that one in my head as 'where is my mind' ending. Yea that one I never came across organically.

"Where is my mind" is the name of the last mission for that ending. The Star/Sun/Devil/etc are the Tarot names.
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I still can't figure out why the yolo blaze of glory option is a hidden ending instead of the default. It makes no sense.
    First, it's a one shot attempt. If you die, it's game over, credits roll, which is the real secret about the ending. If you succeed, you just get one of the other endings.

As the general goal of V throughout is trying to find a way to stay alive, an admitted suicidal frontal assault alone probably wouldn't be V's first choice. If you failed to get any support from your friends, Arasaka is the only "helping hand" you've got to stay alive, hence being the default ending option. But it's the dialog choices in Chippin In about a final second chance to do things right that are the reason Johnny gives you the option to not risk your friends lives for your own.

I think "hiding" that choice behind the player's real world indecision at picking one of the other options to trust Arasaka or potentially sacrifice your friends' lives in an attempt to save your own was pretty inspired.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

Solve the cube

SOLVE THE CUBE!!!

"Where is my mind" is the name of the last mission for that ending. The Star/Sun/Devil/etc are the Tarot names.
    First, it's a one shot attempt. If you die, it's game over, credits roll, which is the real secret about the ending. If you succeed, you just get one of the other endings.

As the general goal of V throughout is trying to find a way to stay alive, an admitted suicidal frontal assault alone probably wouldn't be V's first choice. If you failed to get any support from your friends, Arasaka is the only "helping hand" you've got to stay alive, hence being the default ending option. But it's the dialog choices in Chippin In about a final second chance to do things right that are the reason Johnny gives you the option to not risk your friends lives for your own.

I think "hiding" that choice behind the player's real world indecision at picking one of the other options to trust Arasaka or potentially sacrifice your friends' lives in an attempt to save your own was pretty inspired.

That's bullshit though. They give you the option to blow your brains out regardless of anything. Going out guns blazing shouldn't be something you have to jump through hoops for when 'guess I'll just die' is one of the default options.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is kind of interesting that they put V in the position of dying. I have not finished the game, so I don't know if you can change that.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    i never finished the campaign after kind of burning out on the game about 100 hours in but i might well wait for the first expansion to do it

i would not be surprised if they fleshed it out further rather than simply tacking stuff on given the structure

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I really liked the “Devil” ending even if it wasn’t hopeful or uplifting.

Also I appreciate that it makes clear some of the motivations for the more questionable things that happen in the game.

For real main plot spoilers
    like… why does the Relic exist in the first place? Why is Johnny in it? A: the relic is a prototype and not really intended to be used. But no one is going to volunteer for it… and Johnny ends up post hoc valuable anyway (due to connection to the AI) so they’re going to keep it around. The non prototype relic is for Saburo to take over Yorinobu’s body… which he does, because he never died because he had a non-prototype relic. He used Yorinobu to re-cement power in Arasaka and then stole his body in order to live forever

wbBv3fj.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Also I appreciate that it makes clear some of the motivations for the more questionable things that happen in the game.

like… why does the Relic exist in the first place? Why is Johnny in it? A: the relic is a prototype and not really intended to be used. But no one is going to volunteer for it… and Johnny ends up post hoc valuable anyway (due to connection to the AI) so they’re going to keep it around. The non prototype relic is for Saburo to take over Yorinobu’s body… which he does, because he never died because he had a non-prototype relic. He used Yorinobu to re-cement power in Arasaka and then stole his body in order to live forever
    Isn't Johnny in it because it was first used to steal Johnny's mind?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Isn't Johnny in it because it was first used to steal Johnny's mind?
    two different relics. Johnny is in the prototype because he was captured and so you might as well test it on him. He is kept around both because that is the sort of things corporations do (who know when it might be valuable!) in cyberpunk and also because he was actually potentially valuable (ties to the AI past the firewall). Saburo is in the “for real fully working version” that you never see because Hanako has it(comes to Night City to retrieve it from Saburo’s corpse). If you take the corpo ending Haruko slots the relic into Yorinobu then kills him. The relic rewrites his brain with Saburo’s and then the media reports on “Yorinobu” solidifying his hold over Arasaka.

When Yorinobu says to his dad that he knows what he is up; that is what he is referring to. But he thinks it’s a thing happening in the future and not like, right now. It is implied that he hired you to steal the relic/blame dads murder on you (after all Adam Smasher knows you’re there) and that Saburo played him by walking into his “trap”. Why does Takemura destroy evidence that Yorinobu killed Saburo? Because he knows how things are supposed to end.

wbBv3fj.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It is kind of interesting that they put V in the position of dying. I have not finished the game, so I don't know if you can change that.

You can't, not really.
    You can give the body to Johnny, who will get a full life out of it, but if V ends up in the body he's under a looming death sentence.

In the Star ending (maybe only if Panem is your lover?) the game ends on Panem's promise to find a solution, but there's no hope in V's voice, only peace.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My problem with a lot of those ending is
    Johnny never felt like anything than an old boomer who was stuck in my head so there was really no emotional investment there.

I actually disliked how the first half of the game set you up as making your own way just to saddle you with him.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The big plot hole I found was
    If they managed to turn V into an engram successfully, why didn't they just let Johnny take V's body and pop V's engram into some rando they didn't like? I mean, in my run I murdered at least a thousand people. Just grab some corpo prick with a nice body and slap V in there.

Overall, really liked the Panam ending, even though I romanced Judy. I forgot to call her though, as I originally went with the suicide ending and reloaded into Panam.

Carnarvon on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    If they managed to turn V into an engram successfully, why didn't they just let Johnny take V's body and pop V's engram into some rando they didn't like? I mean, in my run I murdered at least a thousand people. Just grab some corpo prick with a nice body and slap V in there.

Overall, really liked the Panam ending, even though I romanced Judy. I forgot to call her though, as I originally went with the suicide ending and reloaded into Panam.
    I guess the only real reason I can think of is they didn't think the one with Johnny on it would actually work, and they aren't confident they could recreate the right conditions. Or maybe they suspect that V would not be happy murdering another person just to get a new body? I don't think it is really possible to play V as being that level of psychopath.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion

Either of these outcomes would involve letting a peasant gain access to the super secret trillionaires only immortality tech. Arasaka was never interested in honoring more than the barest letter of their agreement and they left it ambiguous as fuck.

Hevach wrote: »

Either of these outcomes would involve letting a peasant gain access to the super secret trillionaires only immortality tech. Arasaka was never interested in honoring more than the barest letter of their agreement and they left it ambiguous as fuck.

Yeah you know what I retract my guess, this is much better.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The bigger question is why Arasaka wouldn’t just loop the engram; basically just copying v and then Running a relic version of himself back into his own body.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The bigger question is why Arasaka wouldn’t just loop the engram; basically just copying v and then Running a relic version of himself back into his own body.
    Maybe I’m misremembering, but…
    Isn’t this literally what the AI formerly known as Alt Cunningham promises to do for you? And then, once you break into the tower and get made into your own engram (in the the “Sun,” “Star”, and “Temperance” endings), the result is: “Nope, didn’t work. Body rejected a second engram. Sorry.”

Presumably, Arasaka could’ve figured this out without having to actually try it first.

Sneaks on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Went ahead and got this - What's the must have mod to start the game with?

50433.png?1708759015
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Isn’t this literally what the AI formerly known as Alt Cunningham promises to do for you? And then, once you break into the tower and get made into your own engram (in the the “Sun,” “Star”, and “Temperance” endings), the result is: “Nope, didn’t work. Body rejected a second engram. Sorry.”

Presumably, Arasaka could’ve figured this out without having to actually try it first.

I haven't played it in a year but I thought the implication was
    she was going to help V, and we interpret that is fixing our body, but she really meant bring him into cyberspace to preserve his consciousness and that his body was always screwed.

It wasn't that the engram was rejected, once you're hit with the virus you're a braindead husk without one, so the upload had to work or there wouldn't be any endings. They just really wanted V to still be dying, so they ignored how the reliquary was supposed to work and said your brain was too Johnny for you to use it now, even though the chip is supposed to alter the brain to match the engram. It can't make your brain yours again for some reason.

It wasn't that the engram was rejected, once you're hit with the virus you're a braindead husk without one, so the upload had to work or there wouldn't be any endings. They just really wanted V to still be dying, so they ignored how the reliquary was supposed to work and said your brain was too Johnny for you to use it now, even though the chip is supposed to alter the brain to match the engram. It can't make your brain yours again for some reason.
    They leave the exact capabilities and requirements very vague. Like did V have to die to trigger Johnny? If so then that means that the son definitely had to be killed in order to be overwritten by his dad. If not then why can't another engram be used to overwrite the first? Honestly the more you pick at it the more it falls apart. Just one more aspect of the game that could have used more development time.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    You all are forgetting Anders Hellman.
    He played a huge role in developing the relic and he straight up tells V that she’s going to die. He even offers to give her details on a clinic that will help her die with dignity because there’s nothing anyone can do to save her. V was always going to die and the story makes that very clear. V’s story after the Anders conversation is just a long string of desperate acts trying to fend off the inevitable.

"I see everything twice!"

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    You all are forgetting Anders Hellman.
    He played a huge role in developing the relic and he straight up tells V that she’s going to die. He even offers to give her details on a clinic that will help her die with dignity because there’s nothing anyone can do to save her. V was always going to die and the story makes that very clear. V’s story after the Anders conversation is just a long string of desperate acts trying to fend off the inevitable.

which is like cyberpunk 101

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    eh, I'm still hoping that V can save themselves.
    Also Anders didn't even think that what happens to V could work sooooo he isn't exactly an authority on the subject.
    yes, I know he developed the tech, but if you didn't foresee your tech working in a particular way then I am of the opinion that you are a talented hack, but a hack nonetheless!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Most of those potential results just scream "pointlessly grim" to me, and not in any kind of way related to the cyberpunk aesthetic.
    They can stuff another human being in a chip and that chip can override you and he can take you over and live his life in your body, but you can't even stop the chip and live your life as-is? You'll die early regardless? But you can't do the same. Or you can kill yourself. Or get yourself killed getting revenge. Or a bunch of torture and then death.

Nothing particularly cyberpunk about it, they just wanted a grimdark ending regardless of the backflips they had to add to the writing. And no, grimdark ending is not standard cyberpunk; the Sprawl trilogy that is the core of the genre is pretty grim, but the ending of every book and the overall trilogy is infinitely better and more thought-provoking than just "get fucked because you were fucked the whole time".

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Most of those potential results just scream "pointlessly grim" to me, and not in any kind of way related to the cyberpunk aesthetic.
    They can stuff another human being in a chip and that chip can override you and he can take you over and live his life in your body, but you can't even stop the chip and live your life as-is? You'll die early regardless? But you can't do the same. Or you can kill yourself. Or get yourself killed getting revenge. Or a bunch of torture and then death.

Nothing particularly cyberpunk about it, they just wanted a grimdark ending regardless of the backflips they had to add to the writing. And no, grimdark ending is not standard cyberpunk; the Sprawl trilogy that is the core of the genre is pretty grim, but the ending of every book and the overall trilogy is infinitely better and more thought-provoking than just "get fucked because you were fucked the whole time".

It's definitely Cyberpunk®, i.e the IP it was based off of.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Alt promises to disentangle you and Johnny so you don't get overwritten. Alt is also carefully vague on anything else. One must also remember that Alt, at this point, is far from her meat self. 50 years loose behind the Blackwall will have some effects. As for Anders, Anders was pretty good, but Alt wrote the book on the tech in question. Not unreasonable he didn't get it right.

As re "cyberpunk"ness, yup, it's Cyberpunk™, and this is specifically a continuation of a set of adventures from the source material. The grim tone is very much in keeping with both the specific setting and the adventures themselves.

They've actually lightened it up a little, as the setting goes.
    For instance, Rache Blackmoss, in game, isn't killed when Arasaka gets annoyed and hits his apartment with an orbital weapon. In the sourcebooks, "fuck that apartment in particular" with a rock from space.

dporowski on
    I don't think they're necessarily grimdark, some of them seem open enough that you can apply your own canon to them. I got the one where
    you finish as a legend with the huge fancy apartment and Panam. I went off to do some legendary heist. My personal projection was that I was going to keep trying to find a way to fix things. Maybe there's something there that outright denies that but I was content with how it ended for my V and figured it might be answered in DLC but we're probably never gonna get that.

edited December 2021
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Also Anders didn't even think that what happens to V could work sooooo he isn't exactly an authority on the subject.
    yes, I know he developed the tech, but if you didn't foresee your tech working in a particular way then I am of the opinion that you are a talented hack, but a hack nonetheless!

There's some hope in the Aldecaldo ending, I think.
    They've got resources, connections, tech, an intel network, and they've gone to war with half the corps already, so what's a few more if it'll help?

I mentioned that in that ending V seems to be at peace but beyond hope, but Panem has neither and is determined to save V.

The legend ending feels like V's committing a more elaborate suicide via crazy missions, Arasaka leaves him dying in mere days, and everything else leaves him some approximation of dead already.

Hevach on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »

There's some hope in the Aldecaldo ending, I think.
    They've got resources, connections, tech, an intel network, and they've gone to war with half the corps already, so what's a few more if it'll help?

I mentioned that in that ending V seems to be at peace but beyond hope, but Panem has neither and is determined to save V.

The legend ending feels like V's committing a more elaborate suicide via crazy missions, Arasaka leaves him dying in mere days, and everything else leaves him some approximation of dead already.
    I think most of the endings offer you some sort of cure.
    Panam has her connections, Arasaka could purchase you that neuro regenerative therapy for 700k that a competitor is offering (can't remember the company name, they run adds in night city for it) and mr blue eyes seem to be incredibly well connected.
    Even Geralt got a happy ending with blood & wine, I'm hopeful CPR won't be edgelord gonks forever ;)

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited December 2021
    Arasaka COULD do all kinds of shit. You get, I feel, ample warning going in that they WON'T and if you end up in that ending you either ignore all the voices and evidence or you have no other choice except the bullet.

A lot of the game is dedicated to how corps don't care about anyone and how Arasaka is the worst of them. How even members of its ruling family, which is literally royalty and not just pretty much like so many other rich families, is an expendable resource to be exploited and discarded when its usefulness is spent. If you go to Arasaka for help, you are another resource, and your usefulness is expended quickly.

Hevach on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    There's a Shard that you can find in ARASAKA HQ whilst attacking Mikoshi:
    The Relic Chip in V's head is far from the only one manufactured and in active use...

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    It seems fairly clear to me, seeing as you don't die explicitly in the any of the non-suicide endings, that a DLC where you find that something-something to heal you is/was planned. I'm sure they're probably waiting until all the lawsuits stop before they actually release anything.

As an aside, did they ever fix the driving or melee combat? I went with a katana build and I think my V has easily beheaded more people than most of history's domestic terrorists put together. The driving was also... painful.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It seems fairly clear to me, seeing as you don't die explicitly in the any of the non-suicide endings, that a DLC where you find that something-something to heal you is/was planned. I'm sure they're probably waiting until all the lawsuits stop before they actually release anything.
    Wow, I really hope not.
    Like, the entire story is about how you choose to deal with an unavoidable death. Adding DLC that just goes 'lol jk you get to live' would be the worst idea they could have.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited December 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    Wow, I really hope not.
    Like, the entire story is about how you choose to deal with an unavoidable death. Adding DLC that just goes 'lol jk you get to live' would be the worst idea they could have.
    I agree to a degree, but, it would sell a lot of copies. It could also be a definitive end where you do, conclusively die. Personally I'm fine with a head-canon endings.

I can't imagine they made the game with the express intention of not releasing DLC, and I'm not entirely sure how they'd make DLC that would fit copaceticly with the whole fact that you're in the process of dying. I'm sure there's a way, but I feel more like there's an intention of making an addition to the endings.

Carnarvon on