As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Big reactions teach them to keep doing it. We've had to work with our five year old to try not to freak out so much when his brother bites him

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yesterday, I took my daughter to get her second vaccine shot. Before going, I promised that if she was well behaved, we would stop and get a donut.

She gets the shot, made a small "ouch" face when the needle went in, then was all smiles and cheers right after. Like, I've never seen her react like that before. I asked her why she wasn't screaming and crying, and her response was:

"I guess it's because I'm six now daddy."

Indeed, the magical power of being six...or maybe it's the donuts. Who knows?

And the gratuitous photo...

mm34wbhwy3kj.jpg

We sat on that bench to eat our donuts and she proudly told every person going into the donut shop that she got her second vaccine shot and didn't cry at all.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Figure I can share this here too (copy/pasted from the kid/parent D&D thread):

Also, I made this for my wife's birthday!

https://objection.lol/objection/2278164

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I don't know whether to accuse you or your wife of being a colossal nerd.

Bravo!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I don't know whether to accuse you or your wife of being a colossal nerd.

Bravo!

It's fine, we're both proud nerds!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    For any of you who have older elementary school or middle school age kids and are looking for holiday gift ideas, I got my 11 year old the book Big Ideas for Curious Minds and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's an introduction to philosophy for children, which might sound dreadful, but each chapter is a big idea with an accompanying philosopher and they're things like "It's Hard to Know What We Really Want" and "People are Unhappy, Not Mean" and The News Doesn't Always Tell the Whole Story," it's short and very understandable and really lovely.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    After reviewing several shows about sentient automobiles I have determined that we should not develop self-driving cars.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    After reviewing several shows about sentient automobiles I have determined that we should not develop self-driving cars.
    Also we should uplift dogs (but not cats). Dinosaurs are a mixed bag.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

How dare you impugn Herbie

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Herbie's sentience is questionable since he never speaks

He doesn't really express himself through language, but he can express his needs via a combination of honks, light flashes, and engine revs

At best, Herbie is some sort of bacteria

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I mean, I guess he undergoes mitosis too

discrider on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »

Dolphins, then chimpanzees, then gorillas, then dogs is the traditional order as laid out by the Uplift War IIRC.

• Options
    edited December 2021

What's "uplift dogs"?

Alt post: what's up, Lift Dog?

TheStig on
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

What's "uplift dogs"?

Using science magic to grant higher intelligence/sentience to a lower intelligence animal.

Like what Adventure Bay did instead of paying for more than one human city employee. Why have whole fire department when one semi-intelligent Dalmatian will do it all for dog food and head pats?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there is no limit on how much money I would spend on one (which is troubling phrasing when talking about a sapient individual) if Uplifted cats were a thing

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

What's "uplift dogs"?

Using science magic to grant higher intelligence/sentience to a lower intelligence animal.

Like what Adventure Bay did instead of paying for more than one human city employee. Why have whole fire department when one semi-intelligent Dalmatian will do it all for dog food and head pats?

Counterpoint: The Cat from Outer Space, which shows that smart kitties are our friends.

Intrigued to see how long it takes our 14m old to drink the water out of the Christmas tree.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Would it be weird to give Athena a Warhead candy every few days just to check she hasn't lost her sense of taste

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2021
    CroakerBC wrote: »

What's "uplift dogs"?

Intrigued to see how long it takes our 14m old to drink the water out of the Christmas tree.

Mmmm, Pine Nog

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Anyone got experience with escape artists? We have a video monitor that trips when it detects noise, and just bought one of those toddler alarm clocks that says when it's okay to get out of bed. During her nap today, my daughter managed to climb out of her crib while my wife was working in the room right next door and I had the monitor right in front of me on my desk. She was out and silent for a while because all the stuff on her dresser was taken down, she made a bed for all her stuffed animals on the floor, pulled about 1/4 of a fresh brick of baby wipes out and then proceeded to spray 1/4 bottle of febreeze and popped the sprayer off an automatic air freshener. I only caught on when she started banging the air freshener can on the floor and went to investigate.

She understands the "don't get out of bed until the clock lights up" but then doesn't actually follow the rules. We were planning to take the front rail off her crib to make it a "big girl bed" after we got back from visiting over the holidays since she can now effortlessly climb out. At this point I suppose we're probably just going to re-babyproof the room and somehow find a way to keep wipes, ointments, etc. out of reach even if it means a huge hassle for us.

She just turned 3 a few weeks ago, any advice is welcome!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    What we usually had and still have to do is attempt as best as possible to keep as many things as we don't want him in contact with as far away from him as possible. We can tell him not to, discipline, etc, but when it comes down to it if he wants to do something, consequences be damned, he's going to do it. So, safety things, things that can be wasted, anything he's taken an interest in that can be kept away from him, they should probably be kept away from him.

That's our method, along with some good locks on windows and doorknobs, to keep him out of where we don't want him to be.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    2 year old has started a phase where she basically goes "more, more, more" with everything. It's mostly really exhausting with food as she tries to take everything from us while her platter is still full and doesn't even et most of what she has or tries to steal. And if she doesn't get more more more it's tantrum time. She also apparently started doing this with the toys at the daycare.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    yeah.. we essentially created as much of a toddler-proof room for the kids as we could for nap times. Just keep everything out of reach that they could possibly get in trouble with. It.. sort of worked.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    yeah.. we essentially created as much of a toddler-proof room for the kids as we could for nap times. Just keep everything out of reach that they could possibly get in trouble with. It.. sort of worked.

It will very much not work the older they get. My little dude is a stool/chair/sufficient height change away from interacting with more things than I want. And he knows this, too. He's 5. At some point I'm just going to have to hope he doesn't injure himself (much) whenever I have to turn around for 5 seconds. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Took my son to a soft play centre just down the road by myself.

It's in an old church so it's not very big but it is very tall.

I spent two hours climbing up and down, we were the only ones there for the first 90 minutes or so.

My legs feel like jelly, who needs the gym when you can spend all morning lifting an almost 30lb toddler up and down!

He's had a short nap today so I've not had much chance to rest. He didn't nap yesterday either.

Though last night he fell asleep so early me and my wife got to watch a whole film!

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Anyone got experience with escape artists? We have a video monitor that trips when it detects noise, and just bought one of those toddler alarm clocks that says when it's okay to get out of bed. During her nap today, my daughter managed to climb out of her crib while my wife was working in the room right next door and I had the monitor right in front of me on my desk. She was out and silent for a while because all the stuff on her dresser was taken down, she made a bed for all her stuffed animals on the floor, pulled about 1/4 of a fresh brick of baby wipes out and then proceeded to spray 1/4 bottle of febreeze and popped the sprayer off an automatic air freshener. I only caught on when she started banging the air freshener can on the floor and went to investigate.

She understands the "don't get out of bed until the clock lights up" but then doesn't actually follow the rules. We were planning to take the front rail off her crib to make it a "big girl bed" after we got back from visiting over the holidays since she can now effortlessly climb out. At this point I suppose we're probably just going to re-babyproof the room and somehow find a way to keep wipes, ointments, etc. out of reach even if it means a huge hassle for us.

She just turned 3 a few weeks ago, any advice is welcome!

Unsurprisingly, since our kid is the same age as yours, we've been going through similar problems right now. We just moved him to a regular bed a week ago, and it has not gone smoothly.

2 out of 5 nights he's crawled into our bed at 4:00am

2 out of 5 nights I've found him asleep on the floor in the morning

And this morning he walked out of his room after we woke up, went into our room, turned off the light, and climbed into our bed

We did another pass of baby proofing before moving him to the real bed, but we still need to get one of those color changing light alarm clocks to train him on when to get out of bed

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Exhibit A, your honor:

sub54n9xm3fd.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    After having a good morning we've done nothing all afternoon. I feel guilty but I'm so tired, with the way my shifts fall this set my rest days are all spent looking after him on my own whilst my wife works.

I'm then back at work on Saturday so I've had very little rest during my rest days!

I knew I should've gone out again this afternoon...

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I hated my kids in my bed, but as they get older it gets a little cuter and I don't know. My daughter comes in every time she has a nightmare and I can't say no.

Last night I worked sixteen hours and got home after midnight. I checked on the kids as usual, and she's sitting bolt upright in bed. I go in and put her back to bed and she's like "I heard you get home and wanted to see you"

Kids. Man. One day they're screaming they they don't want you and the next they love you.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Lore does a thing where when she hears me come in from work she runs over for a hug and cuddle while happily chanting "Daddy!" and I am not looking forward to her growing out of that.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Lore does a thing where when she hears me come in from work she runs over for a hug and cuddle while happily chanting "Daddy!" and I am not looking forward to her growing out of that.

My daughter and I have a continued back and forth of "Dada"/"her name" in increasingly odd voices and volumes. Super fun.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Oh man yeah, the kid running to hug you when you get home from work is my peak Dad moment to date and I'm pretty sure it won't get much better than that.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Mine are in 5th and 3rd grade respectively and at least one usually comes to see me when I get home so I'm sure it wears off at some point but you guys have a while to go! Enjoy it!

• Options
    For Athena's birthday we bought her a Membership Pass to a local trampoline park. They were doing a special where buying a 6 month pass gets you another 6 months free, and we live in Michigan so the amount of time she wouldn't be able to jump on her own trampoline would probably be around 5 months.

It's $25 per month, so we paid $150 for (basically) a Year Pass.

We came today and she jumped for half an hour and decided she'd had enough

A regular hour's worth of jump time would have been $11 and I probably would have tried to get her to stay longer to get her money's worth, but with the pass as long as we're here for a sum of 2.5 hrs over the course of a month it's worth it.

She's getting a lot braver at the park (and more expressive with her dancing)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jaina's still picking her nose which is annoying. Because sometimes she makes it bleed. And damn did it bleed tonight.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Both of my big guy's main pillow cases have been ruined by consistent overnight nose bleeds. Not gonna miss the seasonal dry spells when we (hopefully) move out of state next year

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah, Dutch government finally accepted that 5-11 year olds can also get vaccinated. They're going to send out invites in January. Fucking lets gooooo

• Options
    My kids are both double jabbed, two weeks ago tomorrow, and to celebrate we're in NYC to do Christmas tourism and watch the Circ de Soleil Christmas show and I can't tell you how good it is to stop worrying (mostly) about the pandemic and just go do stuff again. We're still wearing masks, we're not going too crazy, but man it's a load off the brain.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    today was the first day back for swim lessons in about 5 months.

there were only 4 kids in the pool with the instructor. Normally they have a class of about 6-7 kids.

But every single one of these kids appeared to be an only child. Who has been stuck inside for 5 months. During winter.

There was not a still surface on that pool. White caps were lapping the steps in, the froth looked like a pool of feeding piranha.

The pool instructor did her best to maintain some semblance of order, but it was absolute chaotic joy. Every child, used to being the center of attention at home, now had to vie or the attention of the instructor, to show her how good they had gotten at swimming, how confident they still were.

To say that the instructor looked absolutely frazzled and exhausted by the time she left would be an understatement

lonelyahava on
  • Options

The poo instructor

Is this the one in charge of fishing out the pool turds?