As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 2nd annual Thursday pre-PAX drunkard extravaganza @ Shorty's!!

MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
Yup, we're going to do it again!!

THE SECOND ANNUAL THURSDAY PRE-PAX DRUNKARD EXTRAVAGANZA! AT SHORTY'S (wiki link)

Last year we had a dozen or so people show up (including an Omeganaut!) to kick it in the Trophy Room with us at Shorty's. Some brought their DSes, many brought their livers and others got to show off their pinball skills.

Shorty's is located in Belltown (about a mile and half from the Convention Center) 2222 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98121, (206) 441-5449. They offer hotdogs, pinball, hard booze, classic arcade and beer. This isn't some kinda shitty tourist trap - This is where we cool kids like to go to get drunk. (this is a bar so 21+ only)

Check out their site at www.shortydog.com

The Trophy Room opens up in the back around 8pm, I think, so be sure to look for us in there. Also, THIS IS A CASH ONLY PLACE. They have an ATM there but if you want to save yourself the ATM fees, bring some dough before hand.

Oh yes, Jaeger shots shall be had once more (10pm group toast?) and I'll be offering FREE CHEESE DRIBBLES again from 7-9pm (time may change & terms and restrictions may apply)

Be sure and check the thread again closer to the event in case any details change.

BUTTONS - buttons are the new black this year so to keep in spirit, a limited edition of PAX '08 Drunkard buttons will be available to the extravaganza-go-ers. angry teetotalers need not worry, you need neither be drunk or drinking to get a button.

shortysqy6.gif

Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
Misterioso on

• KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    w00t!!!!

Count us in again - we walked to Shorty's from the hotel downtown and it wasn't that bad. And the bf says that if he can make it, anybody else can (he pretty much hates walking anywhere).

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Excellent! One more reason for me to make it out for my first time.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it safe to walk back from there at 2am whilst dizzy and having to pee really bad?

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I missed it last year. I will not miss it this year. I'm certain I will need to get my pinball fix somehow.

Viscountalpha on
    edited January 2008
    I'm more interested in how the folks in the lobbies of these upscale hotels are going to look at a bunch of drunk nerds stumbling in. :)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    You guys know there's a full on bar-crawl with shorty's on the list, right?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    Is it safe to walk back from there at 2am whilst dizzy and having to pee really bad?
    Safety is really all about numbers. The only time I find myself feeling a bit afraid for my safety downtown at night is when I find myself alone without witnesses.

The area around Shorty's is the Belltown neighborhood... a scene know for bars & clubs so there will be plenty of people out and about at that time and you should be relatively safe (just gotta worry about the other drunks).

The area between Shorty's and the hotels near PAX is kinda the downtown shopping core... which means that around 2am it's going to be somewhat vacant except for people planning to spend the night there. However if you stick to the main streets there will be people, and cars driving around... just dont take any shortcuts thru back alleys and you'll be fine.

If you're still a bit hesitant... just try to find a few people to walk with back to the hotels. Aside from the random chance of encountering some really random psychopath or going down some back alley and finding some sketchy characters... you're pretty safe in Seattle.

nearlysober on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Safety is really all about numbers. The only time I find myself feeling a bit afraid for my safety downtown at night is when I find myself alone without witnesses.

The area around Shorty's is the Belltown neighborhood... a scene know for bars & clubs so there will be plenty of people out and about at that time and you should be relatively safe (just gotta worry about the other drunks).

The area between Shorty's and the hotels near PAX is kinda the downtown shopping core... which means that around 2am it's going to be somewhat vacant except for people planning to spend the night there. However if you stick to the main streets there will be people, and cars driving around... just dont take any shortcuts thru back alleys and you'll be fine.

If you're still a bit hesitant... just try to find a few people to walk with back to the hotels. Aside from the random chance of encountering some really random psychopath or going down some back alley and finding some sketchy characters... you're pretty safe in Seattle.

I agree. If we go back in groups to the hotel we really have nothing to worry about, as Seattle is a fairly safe town with a large nightlife and police presence. Plus, those of us getting schnockered are probably staying at the hotels anyway (unless they have designated drivers of course) and those who aren't can probably crash at someone's room if necessary.

Oh yeah, count me in on free cheese dribbles/alcohol.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited February 2008

When we walked back, it was BUSY on the street - people out and about and such. We also met up with a couple of other people also walking back downtown. We just used common sense and were fine. Worst case scenario? Group up and call a cab.

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • kaldoniskaldonis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

kaldonis on
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yup. I suspect that when you crazy drunks show up and then move on to your next watering hole, some original Shorty's people might go with you. Some of the crawlers might stay back, who knows.

I plan on just sticking at Shorty's myself. It's a good place for people that might want to just hang at one spot since they have a lot going on and the lounge is a good place for DSin' and stuff.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
    edited February 2008
    Yea, if there's some big goal or group event at the end I might tag along but the idea of sit one place, drinking good beer, playing video games and getting to know some folks sounds a little more appealing.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll be there for sure. It was awesome last year.

AceRimmer on
    edited February 2008
    Ace, I still have your number in my phone. I see it every time I go to my contacts list because it's at the top.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    You could also store it under "Zac," then it might be on the bottom. Top or bottom, I'm versatile. :winky:

Also, I have a much better camera now (Digital Rebel XTi), and I make a great party photographer. Check this out (shameless plug) from Pink Godzilla's Child's Play event:

Rock Band!

AceRimmer on
    edited February 2008
    Hope you don't plan on getting too drunk if you're going to be carrying a $700 camera.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some of us will not be drinking. I don't mind assisting people if they need it back to their hotel. There will be extra fees if I have to carry a person back.

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2008
    AceRimmer wrote: »
    I'll be there for sure. It was awesome last year.

Heyyyyyy! Been wondering when you'd show up! If you haven't yet, check out the pics I took of you last year on my page.

Good Times will be had again!

KaitouAyashi on
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have to ask, what are cheese dribbles?

Mustard Tiger on
    edited February 2008
    Heyyyyyy! Been wondering when you'd show up! If you haven't yet, check out the pics I took of you last year on my page.

Good Times will be had again!

It's private :(

AceRimmer on
    edited February 2008
    Took me a minute to realize you weren't talking about cheese dribbles there. First I was confused. Then a little worried. Followed by a bit scared. Then I found myself a little intrigued.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hmmmmmm...this or the pub crawl. A very intriguing descision

JonnyNero on
    edited February 2008
    Well, I mentioned it before, the Pub crawl is making a stop at Shorty's. So you could do both

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    tue, but then the descision becomes:

Start with the crawl, end at shorty's

or

Start at shorty's, end with the crawl

Which is an equally intriguing descision

JonnyNero on
    edited February 2008
    It's quite the conumdrum but one that you can't really go wrong with either way!

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    Hmm. Depending on how busy our Thursday is, it really COULD go either way. Right now we're planning on starting and ending at Shorty's.

KaitouAyashi on
    edited February 2008
    Oh man, I forgot about this:

Are you my match?
    l_dd8e17d16630d2a3c1953fe914605630.jpg

Thanks KaitouAyashi for the photo!

AceRimmer on
    edited February 2008
    I remember that pic, Ace...you got some good looks from that.

Shorty's has cheap food (hot dogs and cheesy food nachos primarily) so if you like to eat before drinking, to better pace yourself, you could go there first and crawl afterwards. Or, if you like to booze it up, get a good drunk going and then gorge on crap afterwards, you could go on the crawl first.

I'm not really sure if that helps or not. ha.

I hope we can all do one big Jaeger toast together, that would be fun.

Misterioso on
    edited February 2008
    LOL! Ah, good times. Good Times.

It's almost scary to think that this year will be *better* than last year. I mean, how could it be?!

KaitouAyashi on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    This could, quite possibly, be my first year attending PAX all the way from Boston, MA.

If this ends up happening, mind if me and a friend come along to pound some back with you guys?

How was it last year, and anyone else travelling a large distance to get to PAX? PM me with details if you coudl please. Thanks!

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jaeger shots and hot dogs? i'm there.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited February 2008

If this ends up happening, mind if me and a friend come along to pound some back with you guys?

By all means, I highly recommend you do some kind of pre-pax event if you will be here on Thursday. Pax07 was incredible for me because, not only was the venue nine thousand times better than the previous venue but I got to meet several people the day before at the first pre-pax shorty's gathering and bumped into them later throughout the weekend. It was great to be able to stop and chat and have some laughs between events. We also had an omeganaut show up on Thursday so it was fun to root for someone. (Go Steve!)

In fact, I first met Mr.AceRimmer last year at Shorty's and continue to hang out with him in spite of the fact that he still wears that damn NVIDIA badge on his crotch.

Ace, buddy, i love you but if you haven't found your match YET, it prob aint going to happen.

Misterioso on
    edited February 2008
    Word. If I lived nearby, I would totally attempt to hang out with Misterioso and AceRimmer on a regular basis after meeting them at the inaugural Shorty's event last year. We kept running into each other and various intervals throughout PAX, and eventually I got a sweet pic of the people I connected with the most.

As PAX gets closer, we're start to have the inevitable "Hey we're going X, meet us here to come with!" posts - find someone and you're golden! Last year we walked from our hotel downtown to Shorty's and will likely do so again this year.

KaitouAyashi on
  • HoLeYHoLeY Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll definitely attend! So, does this mean that we're going to have to have some drinks in the morning of PAX to kick the hangover...lol!

rofl-copter to 99 bottles of beer on the wall.

lollerskates ftw!

--sorry, just felt like busting out acronyms...it seemed so delightful--

HoLeY on
    edited March 2008
    Bloody Mary? Oh yes, a BM is always a good way to start off the morning..

waiting...

waiting..

Misterioso on
    edited April 2008
    Someone was kind enough to add us to the wiki page.

http://pax.wikidot.com/events:pre-pax-drunkard-extravaganza-shortys

Misterioso on
  • JonmanJonman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Argh!

I can't decide to meet nerds here, or on the pub crawl.

Hmm. Assuming I can take the Friday off work, I'll be over to one of them for alcohol-related nerdfoolery.

Jonman on
    yadda yadda humerous yadda
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seems kinda nice..I think I'll have this and the pub crawl.
    How? Well...I shall start working on my body multiplication skills right away! (or something...)

Man...I shouldn't post on the PAX forum while being drunk XD

Accelerate!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Accelerate!

Why....did you...say this...?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, long story short, that's how M.M. Carwald, Amalgam comics editor, used to sign what he wrote.

If you don't ge the reference, check wiki.
    A clue: Amalgam, as a comic-publishing company, is purely fictional. But if you're not interested in Marvel/DC, you just won't get it ;P

Accelerate!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
This discussion has been closed.