As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Chrono Trigger - Chapter 25: The Fated Hour, Part 6: Geno Dome

SimBenSimBen Hodor?Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/TheRedKing/letsplayWIP.png
chronotriggerbreaktime2oe8.jpg

Hi. There's this RPG that came out on the SNES. It's popular.

563538_29080_front.jpg

Yes, this is a video LP of an RPG. Am I fucking insane? Yes. But more importantly, this is one of the faster-paced RPGs out there, and it involves almost none of the tedious grinding and farming inherent to many games in the genre. It is therefore always entertaining to watch, and given how hard and expensive it is to get a non-horrible version of this game nowadays (the PSX port is best left unmentioned), I thought that the only way I could get people who haven't played this to truly appreciate how magnificent this game is would be to give them the full experience, video and audio, and my annoying commentary over everything. Needless to say, if you haven't played this game and somehow have the opportunity to acquire a copy, JUMP ON IT. If you can't, well, watching this should be the next best thing.

I have received mod approval to make this thread; if you want to make a Let's Play of your own, get their permission first or suffer their wrath.

I'm going to do this chapter by chapter for most of the game - in case you didn't know, the game is divided in 26 titled chapters (you can only see the chapter titles when saving your game), so this struck me as natural boundaries for the videos. The next-to-last one is ridiculously long though, so I'm gonna split that one in many parts, but the rest should be of reasonable length.

Also, consider this thread Chrono Trigger Discussion Central. I'm gonna go ahead and state the thread rule right here: IF YOU'RE DISCUSSING THE PLOT FROM LATER THAN THE LATEST VIDEO, PUT THAT SHIT IN SPOILER TAGS. Some people watch this and have never played the game, so please be considerate to them.

Also: This is not a Chrono Cross thread. I do not want any flamewars in my LP. Some people think Chrono Cross is great, some people think it sucks. Let's agree to disagree and agree that Trigger is awesome.

The videos:
Interludes or Videos that are Otherwise Not Chrono Trigger:

sig.gif
SimBen on

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It is good that this has happened. I shall play this when I get home.

I do so love this game.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone stole my Chrono Trigger in college. I raged for weeks.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I can only hope that this story ends with you hunting them down, murdering them in their sleep and then mounting their head on a pike.

see317 on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    I can only hope that this story ends with you hunting them down, murdering them in their sleep and then mounting their head on a pike.
    No. A year later my room-mate told me one of his loser friends stol'd it and bought me a bottle of booze in compensation. Also I never got the best ending :( I still have the box and everything though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

He went back in time and stopped them from stealing it in the first place.

Aridhol on
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm..... I tend to play this game about once a year due to the fact that it's the greatest thing ever. It might be that time of the year again...

Coin toss between this and Chrono Cross. I've only played Chrono Cross through once, and I've played Chrono Trigger roughly 15 times (full playthroughs) and I've seen
    9 of the 11 (I think) endings.
    So the motivation to play CT right now isn't really there.

But shit... love me some Chrono Trigger...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hah, that was a great video. Being that I wasn't really into RPGs during the SNES days I never played this so it'll be interesting to see why everyone is such a huge fan of the game.

Last Son on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Hah, that was a great video. Being that I wasn't really into RPGs during the SNES days I never played this so it'll be interesting to see why everyone is such a huge fan of the game.

This thread is for you and everyone like you.

Everyone else, don't spoil it for Last Son. In fact, I'm gonna go edit the OP right now to add this rule.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Chrono Trigger is really really really good.

As far as I am concerned, there is no excuse for JRPGs to have random battles after Chrono Trigger was released.

LewieP on
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My CT was stolen too. I never owned for SNES, it was the remake for the PS1; I played the SNES one so much though. Friend made me play. I hated him for wanting it back.

But yeah my PS1 version was nabbed, and my story may or may not end with a head on a spike, depending on which of you (if any) will be serving jury duty.

Strayth on
    That's right.
    edited February 2008
    Strayth wrote: »
    My CT was stolen too. I never owned for SNES, it was the remake for the PS1; I played the SNES one so much though. Friend made me play. I hated him for wanting it back.

But yeah my PS1 version was nabbed, and my story may or may not end with a head on a spike, depending on which of you (if any) will be serving jury duty.
    I will base my judgment on whether or not you return a lost cat to it's owner

LewieP on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fact:Chrono Trigger still has unavoidable triggered non boss battles. Non random random encounters. Guys jumping you from out of the shadows or if you touch something. Always pissed me off, those did. You can still run from a good deal of them.

Chrono Cross only has enemies you can dodge and boss battles. Pretty much.

Still, I agree with Lewie P for the most part. Random battles should have been killed by CT and SMRPG, yet they are still around. I guess some games do it to save resources, while others do it for the olde thyme feel.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited February 2008
    I'm utterly and completely ashamed to admit this, but I sold my copy of Chrono Trigger in the box with the manual, along with Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3, Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario All-stars and Mega Man X and X2 all in the same condition WITH a Super NES and 2 controllers for $100...

I was 11 years old and I wanted a Playstation. My parents made me sell it all to a family friend with a couple of douchebags for kids because they wouldn't let me have more than one console at a time...

Of all the stupid things I've done in my life, I regard this as the worst.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lewie I am always interested in the safety and wellness of cats, and their families.

Edit: Slayervin i know how you feel, but with the NES for the SNES. I raged. Zelda and Mariokart soothed me.

Strayth on
    That's right.
    edited February 2008
    I sold my Chrono Trigger cart when I traded in all my SNES stuff for PlayStation stuff.

This is a decision that made sense at the time, but I regret it now.
    It's one of a handful of games that I had that I miss now. Others include the Super Star Wars trilogy (had all 3 games, and each kicked more ass then the one before) and Rock and Roll Racing. So much fun in that one...

Edit: SlayerVin, everyone who did this should get together so we can spend time kicking ourselves for being stupid as little kids.
    We could bring booze and have a grand ol' time.

see317 on
    edited February 2008
    Edit: Slayervin i know how you feel, but with the NES for the SNES. I raged. Zelda and Mariokart soothed me.

What's worse is that they made me do the same thing with my NES to get an SNES...

I had so many classic NES games... all gone...

Now I'm a goddamn black hole when it comes to games. Once I get something, it never leaves my grasp. My collection is over 200 games across 8 systems.

Edit: Someone should make a separate thread lamenting the sale of old classic collections when we were kids. It will be cathartic. I nominate someone who isn't me.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited February 2008
    Fact:Chrono Trigger still has unavoidable triggered non boss battles. Non random random encounters. Guys jumping you from out of the shadows or if you touch something. Always pissed me off, those did. You can still run from a good deal of them.

Chrono Cross only has enemies you can dodge and boss battles. Pretty much.

Still, I agree with Lewie P for the most part. Random battles should have been killed by CT and SMRPG, yet they are still around. I guess some games do it to save resources, while others do it for the olde thyme feel.

I don't mind forced battles, I just hate random battles.
    Lewie I am always interested in the safety and wellness of cats, and their families.
    Would you ever steal a pendant?

LewieP on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still own my copy of the SNES Chrono Trigger, and it is one of my most valued possessions.

Sadly I no longer have a SNES, so I may have to kidnap someone important from SE and hold them hostage until there is a VC release.
    Fucking bastards are probably just going to put a remake out on the DS/GBA.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Great job.

I'm digging the accent :) and the narration was not boring like most.

Aridhol on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh dear god.

Now i'm gonna have to go and play through my all character ** New Game+ AGAIN

Thanks a lot! :x

<3

Aistan on
    edited February 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I still own my copy of the SNES Chrono Trigger, and it is one of my most valued possessions.

Sadly I no longer have a SNES, so I may have to kidnap someone important from SE and hold them hostage until there is a VC release.
    I would be ok with your spoiler.
    In fact, I would love it if they would do that.
    Especially if they kept it sprite based. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the 3d models that they redid FFIII in, but I would prefer the sprites.

see317 on
  • Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd love to own this on SNES, but sadly i'd have to sell both my kidneys and my liver to be able to afford a copy off Ebay.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I would be ok with your spoiler.
    In fact, I would love it if they would do that.
    Especially if they kept it sprite based. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the 3d models that they redid FFIII in, but I would prefer the sprites.

You know what, though? If they did the spoiler, but actually had a full FF3-style 3D remake of it AND the original SNES ROM on the cart. Just let you pick whichever you prefer (because personally, while I would greatly cherish portable CT, I've played through the original so many times, and still can whenever I want, that I'd love nothing more than add a new twist to it).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your narration was a lot of fun, i'm looking forward to the rest of this.

Aistan on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm fully convinced that if they were going to port CT to a modern console they would've done it by now, seeing as how they've already done FF1-6 (some of them several times).

That said, it's nice to see somehow do a LP for a game I've actually played before. This game is so awesome and I can't help but smile a little as you talk about the things that effect the game later on.

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I'm fully convinced that if they were going to port CT to a modern console they would've done it by now, seeing as how they've already done FF1-6 (some of them several times).

That said, it's nice to see somehow do a LP for a game I've actually played before. This game is so awesome and I can't help but smile a little as you talk about the things that effect the game later on.

I'm being all coy about it too, aren't I?
    "Hey, are you okay?"

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2008
    How are you going to do the various things that you can actually choose in this game?

Are you going to let the thread decide, or are you just going to go with whatever?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why does everyone take a shit on the playstaion release? The only bad thing I remember was it took longer then it should to open up the menu.

Other then that it was the same but with some animated cut scenes thrown in and slightly cleaner visuals/music.

Ahtari on
  • iadrianiadrian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SimBen, I salute you. I've run out of videos in the Megaman thread for now, so it falls to you to provide me with entertainment during my working hours. After our Captain Planet compromise, I am comfortable setting up camp here in this thread.

*quivers with CT anticipation*

I still have my original CT cart somewhere, but I no longer have an SNES...so many great games, and no big grey box to play them on. PSX, as stated above, does not count. I don't have an hour to wait every time I try to access my menu.

Like a lot of others, I consider this my favorite game of all time, and I'm absolutely stoked about the thread. Superb stuff.

iadrian on
    Brawl: 2964-8274-9230
    D/P: 2621-2512-5050
    edited February 2008
    To be perfectly fair, the load times on the PSX version isn't THAT bad. It's only really horribly noticable if you've played the SNES version.

The poor emulation of the SNES sound chip is the bigger crime. The built in bestairy, ending guide, and animated cutscenes are a nice touch. I actually went ahead and beat the game with all the endings just to unlock everything. Probably not worth it, but I had enough fun.

Doesn't mean I don't treasure my SNES copy of the game though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited February 2008
    To be perfectly fair, the load times on the PSX version isn't THAT bad. It's only really horribly noticable if you've played the SNES version.

The poor emulation of the SNES sound chip is the bigger crime. The built in bestairy, ending guide, and animated cutscenes are a nice touch. I actually went ahead and beat the game with all the endings just to unlock everything. Probably not worth it, but I had enough fun.

Doesn't mean I don't treasure my SNES copy of the game though.

Ugh...you're right. I'd forgotten to mention the sound issues. It was the same on my PSX FFVI, too. And if I in any way implied that these small issues keep me from playing CT on PSX...well, that would just be foolish. It's Chrono Trigger, for god's sake. I'd play it if the load time were an hour and the sounds were ripped out of FF X-2. Yes. Even then.

iadrian on
    edited February 2008
    The PSX version is just a painful nightmare, and you can only realize this if you've played the SNES version.

The menu loading is completely atrocious (I counted almost 30 seconds once), and the battles... well they take a few seconds.

That doesn't sound too bad, does it?

Wait. On the SNES, you see an enemy, the first three beats of the battle music drum line play, and it goes "Shing!" and you're in battle.

On the PSX, you see an enemy. He does his little animation and growls a bit. Then everyone freezes. They just stay there. You hear the PSX violently reading from the disc. The battle music is already playing. It's past the intro riff, rising choir, and already at the high-pitched part when it finally goes shing. Repeat for every battle in the game.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2008
    I'm left with only one recourse...time to start searching for a used SNES. Though I'll probably wait until I finish Chrono Cross. Been playing through it the last couple of weeks, and it is every bit as good as I remember...I'd kill for another game with music that good.

iadrian on
    edited February 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

"Hey, are you okay?"

Eh, I would be too in your position.
    Also: 600 AD theme: best overworld theme or bestest overworld theme?

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

"Hey, are you okay?"

Eh, I would be too in your position.
    Also: 600 AD theme: best overworld theme or bestest overworld theme?
    All other overworld themes can be plotted on a line approaching, but NEVER reaching, 600 AD. The real world should play that when I step outside.

iadrian on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nice SimBen. I'm enjoying your Mega Man LP so this is good news. I'm in the mood to play this again and max out my stats(I've never got around to doing that)...but before I commit I can watch these instead.

You fools that destroyed your happiness and childhood for Playstations--SHAME! Shame on you! We should set up therapy groups for you folks to ease the pain.
    I'm more of a 1000 AD overworld theme guy myself.

Monsty on
    edited February 2008
    Monsty wrote: »
    Nice SimBen. I'm enjoying your Mega Man LP so this is good news. I'm in the mood to play this again and max out my stats(I've never got around to doing that)...but before I commit I can watch these instead.

You fools that destroyed your happiness and childhood for Playstations--SHAME! Shame on you! We should set up therapy groups for you folks to ease the pain.
    I'm more of a 1000 AD overworld theme guy myself.
    It's a tough choice...the 1000 AD overworld music as you leave the starting town is really amazing, too. But, trying to pick the best track from this game is like trying to pick out the brightest shade of Awesome.

iadrian on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does the PS1 version load any faster on a 60GB PS3?

Cause' I'd like to test it out but I'm at work:(

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've never, ever played chrono trigger. I've had at least 4 chances, and passed on all of them for no real good reason.

then, about 3 years ago, the game came up in conversation with a friend of mine. He was bothered enough that i had never played it that he loaned me his copy. Then about 2 months later he moved away, and both of us had forgotten he'd loant it to me. So I have this copy of chrono trigger lying next to my copy of secret of mana in my closet, waiting to be played.

i'll play it eventually and give it back one day i think.

Newtron on
    edited February 2008
    Newtron wrote: »
    I've never, ever played chrono trigger. I've had at least 4 chances, and passed on all of them for no real good reason.

then, about 3 years ago, the game came up in conversation with a friend of mine. He was bothered enough that i had never played it that he loaned me his copy. Then about 2 months later he moved away, and both of us had forgotten he'd loant it to me. So I have this copy of chrono trigger lying next to my copy of secret of mana in my closet, waiting to be played.

i'll play it eventually and give it back one day i think.

"One day"? You waiting for something? O_o

ASimPerson on