As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    We were discussing how crappy some of those later MMX games were in the Switch thread, so it was relevant to the topic being discussed. And MMX6 is available on Switch.

This is a good heads up to make sure everyone is aware that it is there and no one buys it by accident.

I hear the first three X games are also on Switch. And Zero and ZX. Just pick one of those.

Just for anyone curious:

Mega Man 1-11
    Mega Man X1-8
    Mega Man Zero 1-4
    Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent

...are all available on Switch, Xbox One/Series X|S, Steam, and PlayStation 4/5.
    More accurately, they're grouped like so:

Mega Man 1-6
    Mega Man 7-10
    Mega Man 11
    Mega Man X1-4
    Mega Man X5-8
    Mega Man Zero 1-4, ZX, and Advent.

Hopefully we'll get a Mega Man Battle Network, Star Force, or, Heaven help us, a Legends collection sometime.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'd argue X8 belongs with 1-4, but otherwise... yeah.

I've always heard that with X8, "megaman x was good again" but I found it just as unplayable as X6 to be honest.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

I've always heard that with X8, "megaman x was good again" but I found it just as unplayable as X6 to be honest.

X8 is stilted for sure, but it's okay. It has some neat ideas at least to offset some of the bugginess of it. X's armor system in that one is pretty neat with the mix-and match functionality

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Depending on your perspective, X8 is either the best of the worst, or the worst of the best. Either way, it's hard to justify getting that whole collection just for X8.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I've tried booting up Megaman 11 a couple times this week for a re-play, and have turned off the Switch in disgust before even finishing a single stage. Something feels super awful about the gameplay, is that just me? I think my primary complaint is the knockback-and-lock-movement whenever you take a hit, with a secondary complaint of "turning on Power Gear empties the charge you were holding" which just isn't how my brain wants that to work.

I honestly do not know how I managed to play through it once before, this is really grating on me.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Megaman 11 very quickly turned into "Turn on speed gear to win" for me.

• Options
    I haven't done a replay of 11, but I really enjoyed it the first time through. I didn't use the gear system much. The right stick weapon select had me using special weapons more than ever.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

X8 is stilted for sure, but it's okay. It has some neat ideas at least to offset some of the bugginess of it. X's armor system in that one is pretty neat with the mix-and match functionality

To me, X8 is the arcade-style MMX game, and I love most of it for that.

Except the vehicle stages, which I think the Collection helps with.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I get why they kept trying the vehicle stage gimmick, but they're the most annoying ones bar none and I wish they hadn't.

• Options
    I get why they kept trying the vehicle stage gimmick, but they're the most annoying ones bar none and I wish they hadn't.

Vehicle stages peaked with Overdrive Ostrich, because they had the good sense to make it an object you find in a regular level and you could jump off at any time

• Options

Vehicle stages peaked with Overdrive Ostrich, because they had the good sense to make it an object you find in a regular level and you could jump off at any time

I prefer the ride-armor stages, which is I guess a vehicle? ehhh idk. Having the option on how to approach the stage is important though, agreed.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Both Vehicle stages in X8 are just.. not awful but really annoying.

Man-o-war's is stupidly tedious and Yeti's goes on for about five minutes longer then it should.

I'm grinding out the Metals needed to unlock the girls right now and frustratingly buckling up for rushing the entire game again on ng+ because the achievement list i was using had outright wrong information for the vile medal.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Megaman X Dive has hit its full release (here in the States but not elsewhere), and honestly… whoever said Megaman shouldn’t be played with a touchscreen was right on the money. Apparently there’s an incoming Steam release that should get some kind of controller support for it.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Does the android version not support gamepads?

• Options
    It does- Bluetooth controllers, but it doesn’t support the Dualshock.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Megaman X Dive has hit its full release (here in the States but not elsewhere), and honestly… whoever said Megaman shouldn’t be played with a touchscreen was right on the money. Apparently there’s an incoming Steam release that should get some kind of controller support for it.

My hesitation would be that if the game has been balanced around bad touchscreen controls, there’s a decent chance that a controller will trivialize it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

My hesitation would be that if the game has been balanced around bad touchscreen controls, there’s a decent chance that a controller will trivialize it.

Playing poorly with a proper control input is what could be described as "a bad game." It's extremely skippable if that's the case.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I still need to try it. I went to try earlier but it wasn't available for me yet (it let me "pre-register" tho), but I noticed the icon pop up on my phone like a week ago and I've been seeing ads non-stop now, so I guess it's out. I still expect it to absolutely play like butts with touch controls but I'm just curious to try it out.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I've played through a few stages- it's, well... servicable? It gives some juicy backgrounds and some info on one-note bosses from some of the original games, but goddamn is this thing really fucking crash-prone. Just scrolling and checking out some of the potential characters was enough to crash to desktop the app on my iPad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Playing poorly with a proper control input is what could be described as "a bad game." It's extremely skippable if that's the case.

Eh, not really. You design around the platform the game is intended to be played on. This is just how game inputs work. Driving games benefit from the analog input on controllers, for example, but aiming in FPS titles is significantly more precise with a mouse. Games will always be easier with more precise input mechanisms, and touchscreen controls can be pretty imprecise.

Having played the first several stages, it seems like the developers did pretty well with what they had, though I dunno that it needed quite this many buttons. Haven't seen any crashes. The tutorial girl interrupts a ton; kinda wish it'd just let me see all the hints at once and play the game.

• Options
    New content patch for 30XX, containing a whole new stage (Dustria) and boss (Capital Punishment)!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    New content patch for 30XX, containing a whole new stage (Dustria) and boss (Capital Punishment)!

the theme slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohuDQ8SBptQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBckSKngew
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMfzb0cUfrY

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    We were discussing how crappy some of those later MMX games were in the Switch thread, so it was relevant to the topic being discussed. And MMX6 is available on Switch.

This is a good heads up to make sure everyone is aware that it is there and no one buys it by accident.

I hear the first three X games are also on Switch. And Zero and ZX. Just pick one of those.

Just for anyone curious:

Mega Man 1-11
    Mega Man X1-8
    Mega Man Zero 1-4
    Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent

...are all available on Switch, Xbox One/Series X|S, Steam, and PlayStation 4/5.
    More accurately, they're grouped like so:

Mega Man 1-6
    Mega Man 7-10
    Mega Man 11
    Mega Man X1-4
    Mega Man X5-8
    Mega Man Zero 1-4, ZX, and Advent.

Hopefully we'll get a Mega Man Battle Network, Star Force, or, Heaven help us, a Legends collection sometime.

Good news
    Is joke

• Options
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I have no fear given how up and down the series have been after a given number of sequels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Live Action? With as well as Castlevania did, why are they so against animation?

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Live Action? With as well as Castlevania did, why are they so against animation?

Because some men just want to watch the world burn

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    To be fair the last animated Mega Man series wasn't great.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    To be fair the last animated Mega Man series wasn't great.

(edit: Oops, wrong cartoon :3) Honestly it was decent for what it was. Even if it weirdly made Protoman evil (I'm still assuming here they went off the storyline for Mega Man 5 with of course never actually playing the game). I kinda assume back then that was likely the best you were gonna get out of that sort of thing. These days (some) projects are more willing to follow the source material closer so you could potentially get something better.

Still though, nothing about Mega Man feels like live action is correct for the franchise. Mega Man is SUPER anime to the point of basically being Astro Boy. I'm quite sure live action Mega Man is going to be cringe as hell.

Edit: Nevermind, I totally forgot about that joke of a cartoon they did a few years back. You're totally right, we're doomed :D

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Oh, the Mega Man live action movie has been in development hell for a while. It was first announced in 2017. I'm interested to hear it wasn't cancelled.
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Edit: Nevermind, I totally forgot about that joke of a cartoon they did a few years back. You're totally right, we're doomed :D

I never watched the full episodes of Mega Man Fully Charged myself, but I did watch where a YouTube channel called The D-Pad or something like that watched it. The first ten episodes look pretty much uniformly bad and the remaining 15 or so vary between decent and kind of good (but never great). Giving Mega Man a human sister was an interesting idea, for what it's worth, and although I wasn't a fan of the "superhero with a secret identity" dynamic for Mega Man they actually did have his face change slightly between his armored and unarmored forms so it would make sense people wouldn't recognize him.

There was also a comic follow-up of the same name that takes place after the show that has a wildly different tone and art style for whatever reason. The Mega Mini character from the show is immediately taken out of commission, the evil counterpart of Mega Man from the show is renamed from the silly Namagem (Mega Man spelled backwards) to Daini (which is Japanese for "second"; one of the first things he says in the comic is that "Namagem" wasn't his idea and he disliked it), and Mega Man is revealed to have originally been created as a combat robot to quell a robot uprising before having his memory erased by Dr. Light.

bmxt9423swtr.jpg

I'm kind of curious what happened behind the scenes for this shift to happen and if its a signal of a different tone for the Mega Man franchise or just a one-off attempt to try and redeem a derided media spin-off.

The Mega Man Star Force spin-off had a somewhat similar trajectory where the first two games are really kiddy and the Mega Buster was intended to look like a sock puppet (for real, read the Official Complete Works book), gave Star Force Mega Man a cooler redesign for the third game and a somewhat darker story (it was also featured first in the Official Complete Works book when all the others have the games covered in order), and the cancelled fourth game was even planned to have the main character aged several years older and a fugitive hacker who had teamed up with the descendant of Lan Hikari.

c0dkc5xmzzpn.png

God, I can really go on a tear when I get to talking about Mega Man...

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Announcing another live action adaptation, just days after Cowboy Bebop crashed and burned, does not instill me with much hope or confidence.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Announcing another live action adaptation, just days after Cowboy Bebop crashed and burned, does not instill me with much hope or confidence.

Don't forget live action Death Note too :3

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

The same YouTube channel I mentioned that watched Mega Man Fully Charged also watched this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXKMotjaVPI

Don't forget the Mega Man Battle Network Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5rtJek7Aww&t=8s

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Maybe they can base the live action Mega Man off Rockman-san, a melancholy gag manga about an "adult" Mega Man in a time where Light has retired and Wily has given up his evil schemes, so Mega and the other Robot Masters are now dealing with the worries of a working world that seems to not really need them.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Make it a musical. I dare you, vague notion of whoever is making that.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I mean, the Protomen haven't finished their rock opera trilogy yet, AFAIK. They could make a film series of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2ibnzM1YI

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Here's the original source article:

As a point of note, the movie itself isn't anything new. We've been reporting on it for years; the big news is that Netflix is distributing now, rather than Fox, who since got bought up by Disney.

Here's a little more info for you:

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    No release date, no cast. That’s where it should stay.

I am proud to support this project and hope it stays on track. If no one begins production on it, it’ll always potentially be good.

• Options
    - A "primal", "emotional" story

Oh lord