As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This is a very early 80s recommendation: you should watch space runaway ideon, the show tomino made after 0079 was canceled

It's a mech show, but even if that's not your thing it's worth a look at just for the cultural context

Maybe more than any other show of the era, ideon is 'your favorite anime director's favorite anime,' to the point that it's kind of a running joke

Probably one of the most influential shows without a real presence in the west

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    LotGH is the show that has the balls to go, "here's three separate episodes of mandatory plot backstory, done as in-universe documentaries with real-fake historians, about three separate aspects of the world's lore, and you're going to watch it and like it you dropout loser."

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I would like to own the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes anime.

I would also like this to be possible without Sentai Filmworks extorting nearly a thousand dollars from me for a limited edition box set

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I will say that the remake is actually pretty good! I havent wathced the orginal LoGH, but Die Nue These is very strong and worth your time. I'm really hoping production IG follows it up, but there's only been vague rumblings of "2022" last i went looking.

Also @Juggernut have you watched SSSS Gridman and it's follow up SSSS Dynazeon? Very much recommend, and they're both tight 12 episode series so they dont outstay their welcome. I'm reallly looking foward to the capstone series which is SSSS Gridman X Dynazeon. Really great character work mixed with excellent GIANT ROBOTS and kaiju.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Oh definitely; almost finished with the first season

But like… still would be nice to have the original for an actual affordable price

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    We're heading into the last few episodes of Gridman and I'm enjoying it, but it has a slight focus or pacing issue. The monsters of the weeks aren't quite important or routine. The story isn't quite steady and straight-forward or twisty and mysterious. The actual fights and transformations and such are good, and the music is always great. It just feels a bit off, but I'm hoping the big finish wraps it all up nicely.

uyvfOQy.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Oh definitely; almost finished with the first season

But like… still would be nice to have the original for an actual affordable price

Oh, i was more meaning as a general thing - i never see it get talked about. Totally agree on the pricing of things. Dear... everyone: Make your shit affordable.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This is a very early 80s recommendation: you should watch space runaway ideon, the show tomino made after 0079 was canceled

It's a mech show, but even if that's not your thing it's worth a look at just for the cultural context

Maybe more than any other show of the era, ideon is 'your favorite anime director's favorite anime,' to the point that it's kind of a running joke

It's also the series that cemented Tomino's epithet.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

let the first person not to kill them'all cast the first stone

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I will say that the remake is actually pretty good! I havent wathced the orginal LoGH, but Die Nue These is very strong and worth your time. I'm really hoping production IG follows it up, but there's only been vague rumblings of "2022" last i went looking.

Oh hey, looks like they did announce a third season just recently.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-4jXQ2uMw

Moth 13 on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

let the first person not to kill them'all cast the first stone

Nah, gotta get those idealists first.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    If you asked me if I would like to have stinger missles in my tidds I would say yes immediately please give me surface to air defense capabilities and an absolutely sweet pair of knockers at the same time.

haven’t said this in a while, but yknow. there are these pills you can take

gl7uvdh9c8aq.jpg

Symphogear AXZ spoilers:
    "Cagliostro and Prelati formerly had male bodies, but after they embraced the wisdom and ideals of Saint-Germain, she granted them the perfect body."

Watching this with my friend, when that character's backstory was explained, she just shouted out,
    "She just put them on HRT!?"

Hey uh you got that saints number?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    thank you! I've been meaning to check this out for a while now, it seemed really interesting

its fucking radical. it's like anti-anime almost if that makes any sense

I usually describe LotGH as, "Its the anime Frasier & Niles Crane would watch."

I feel like they wouldn't take anything fantasy or sci fi seriously, although it's been a while since I've actually watched an episode.

I would think more of things like...Monster, Perfect Blue...but those are probably still not dry enough. Maybe something more straight historical like Grave of the Fireflies.

LotGH is an anime with classical-orchestral music and Prussian political dynamics.

Its 100% a show the Crane boys would eat up.

Its also a show Marty would fucking hate

Now decide what anime Marty would love. I'm imagining him as a secret Sailor Moon fan.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    Marty solves every case before Detective Conan.

uyvfOQy.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    need to issue a clarification here: frasier vehemently denies that he likes LOGH but is secretly obsessed with it, leading to hilarious circumstances in the second act of the episode when his secret is found out by, who has been shamed by his brother for his much more earnest enjoyment of the show

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    thank you! I've been meaning to check this out for a while now, it seemed really interesting

its fucking radical. it's like anti-anime almost if that makes any sense

I usually describe LotGH as, "Its the anime Frasier & Niles Crane would watch."

I feel like they wouldn't take anything fantasy or sci fi seriously, although it's been a while since I've actually watched an episode.

I would think more of things like...Monster, Perfect Blue...but those are probably still not dry enough. Maybe something more straight historical like Grave of the Fireflies.

LotGH is an anime with classical-orchestral music and Prussian political dynamics.

Its 100% a show the Crane boys would eat up.

Its also a show Marty would fucking hate

Now decide what anime Marty would love. I'm imagining him as a secret Sailor Moon fan.

Marty watches Lupin the 3rd episodes from the 1970s and yells at the screen, hoping this is the episode that Inspector Zenigata finally catches that damn thief.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    This thread is getting close to discussing what every Cheers character's favorite anime would be, but I'm not nearly versed enough in anime to make any guesses on that.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Where do folks look to see top anime for the year? I think I used to use Tokyo Anime Award or Anime Grand Prix, but the winners the last couple years don't really seem up my alley.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    I just pull up some variation of the list of shows per season and look up the description or trailer for any show that looks interesting. I don't think reviews or awards would really influence me. People I know recommending them would hold more weight.

uyvfOQy.png
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I just pull up some variation of the list of shows per season and look up the description or trailer for any show that looks interesting. I don't think reviews or awards would really influence me. People I know recommending them would hold more weight.

That reminds me. How many shows for Winter will be reincarnation in RPG world?

Only seven?

Gee, a light season of it then.

And moving from hockey, the two quirky sports shows desperately hoping for attention for being a weird sport are badminton and... futsal. Well, we already did kabaddi, so, sure. Why not. It's amazing we haven't had a cricket anime yet, and apparently decided Eyeshield 21 was going to be the only football anime ever.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Do they even play cricket in Japan.

edit: Holy crap they have a cricket association. Let's get on this, I would watch the hell out of a cricket anime.

I find cricket massively boring to watch but I'll watch highlights and read up on the strategy behind historical games, cos that's the actually interesting bits. Any anime would fast forward the boring stuff. Lets go.

As of 2016 3000 people across 200 teams in the entire of Japan. You know that probably would make an interesting anime? Cos most people wouldn't have even heard of it, and characters actually interested in playing cricket in japan are automatically odd enough to have something interesting about them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This thread is getting close to discussing what every Cheers character's favorite anime would be, but I'm not nearly versed enough in anime to make any guesses on that.

Cliff Clavin would tell you every anime is his favorite, for a variety of intricate reasons.
    Cliff Clavin has never watched a single anime.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Do they even play cricket in Japan.

edit: Holy crap they have a cricket association. Let's get on this, I would watch the hell out of a cricket anime.

I find cricket massively boring to watch but I'll watch highlights and read up on the strategy behind historical games, cos that's the actually interesting bits. Any anime would fast forward the boring stuff. Lets go.

As of 2016 3000 people across 200 teams in the entire of Japan. You know that probably would make an interesting anime? Cos most people wouldn't have even heard of it, and characters actually interested in playing cricket in japan are automatically odd enough to have something interesting about them.

I was going to make a comment on how Windjammers was getting a sequel, but ain't no Ultimate Frisbee or even TRON-esque pong anime neither, but then I looked it up, and apparently it's some French developer doing it and Japan decided it doesn't exist.

But also, fuck Ultimate Frisbee.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular

Cliff Clavin would tell you every anime is his favorite, for a variety of intricate reasons.

I was going to assume he would be a Fate fan because that series supposedly has incredibly convoluted lore.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I was going to assume he would be a Fate fan because that series supposedly has incredibly convoluted lore.

It's not that complicated

Okay so let me tell you about the differences between Magic, Magecraft, and Psychic powers....

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Honestly Fate only sounds complicated because the most fun parts to talk about are the weird side shit that is barely mentioned

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Fate's only complicated because there's a bunch of spinoffs that are unrelated plot-wise and generally unrelated timeline-wise but still share the same fundamental setting and add a bunch of detail to that setting - to some degree it runs on something similar to DC/Marvel, I guess, where there's a bunch of individual authors writing works in a shared setting

it's not like, say, Nier, where you have to read everything to get the complete story and figure out how on earth Automata is a sequel to Replicant, but there's a lot of small cameos etc. that get explained in mostly-unrelated works
    e.g. Heaven's Feel ends with a reference to a nameless puppet magus (Touko Aozaki from Kara no Kyoukai)

the individual stories are mostly self-contained, although generally speaking the spinoffs are "what if"s so they have a tendency to assume that you're at least aware of Fate/Stay Night before reading the story that's "what if FSN but there's two teams of seven", "what if FSN but in cyberspace", "what if FSN but in WW2 Japan", "what if FSN but we cut the fighting and it's just the cooking scenes"

(the stuff that doesn't even have "Fate/" in its name is even more unrelated and self-contained, of course, and the shared setting is slightly different too, if still similar)

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Fate's only complicated because there's a bunch of spinoffs that are unrelated plot-wise and generally unrelated timeline-wise but still share the same fundamental setting and add a bunch of detail to that setting - to some degree it runs on something similar to DC/Marvel, I guess, where there's a bunch of individual authors writing works in a shared setting

it's not like, say, Nier, where you have to read everything to get the complete story and figure out how on earth Automata is a sequel to Replicant, but there's a lot of small cameos etc. that get explained in mostly-unrelated works
    e.g. Heaven's Feel ends with a reference to a nameless puppet magus (Touko Aozaki from Kara no Kyoukai)

the individual stories are mostly self-contained, although generally speaking the spinoffs are "what if"s so they have a tendency to assume that you're at least aware of Fate/Stay Night before reading the story that's "what if FSN but there's two teams of seven", "what if FSN but in cyberspace", "what if FSN but in WW2 Japan", "what if FSN but we cut the fighting and it's just the cooking scenes"

(the stuff that doesn't even have "Fate/" in its name is even more unrelated and self-contained, of course, and the shared setting is slightly different too, if still similar)

I don't disagree with your main point about Nier lore, but
    how is it even slightly confusing how Automata is a sequel?
    Replicant: Welp, all the humans are going to die off. Oh and a robot was clearly becoming sentient at one point.
    Automata: Androids, fight all these sentient robots to save humanity! Third act twist: humanity died off... like Replicant said it was going to.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Fate is complicated because it's not actually consistent except in a kind of papering over in the lore when they notice glaring flaws.

It's almost entirely about Rule of Cool, which isn't even a bad thing, but the fans take it as some kind of gospel. Luckily most of them get pretty antsy when you bring up mana delivery via dicking so it's not as inescapable at JoJo superfans.

steam_sig.png

Replicant: Welp, all the humans are going to die off. Oh and a robot was clearly becoming sentient at one point.
    Automata: Androids, fight all these sentient robots to save humanity! Third act twist: humanity died off... like Replicant said it was going to.

NieR Spoilers
    Yeah NieR’s bit is just that Automata is thousands of years later, with a bit of a skirmish where squid Aliens showed up to conquer the planet during the intervening millenia with their own robots

Also don’t forget that Devola and Popola are, themselves, caretaker androids! So Replicant/Gestalt-era Nier already has sapient androids. Additional bit is where there’s Devola and Popola duos all over the world to watch over each Replicant colony around the globe, but because of the failure of the ones we see in Replicant/Gestalt, the entire “line” of them become ostracized from android society for basically allowing humanity to go extinct.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    whenever I ask which fate anime to start with everyone tells me to read the vn first and it kinda turns me off. I don’t want visual novel! I’m watching anime for a reason

I guess it's mostly just that in the huge time skip there's also a couple important short stories like how the robot from Replicant gave the gift of intelligence to the (otherwise unrelated) machines, or how the Nier Replicant drama CD is where the emil vs. aliens war happens, etc. etc.

It's not absolutely necessary - there's plenty of people who just played Replicant without Drakengard or Automata without Replicant and weren't confused - but Yoko Taro's work is all incredibly interconnected across many different types of media.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    whenever I ask which fate anime to start with everyone tells me to read the vn first and it kinda turns me off. I don’t want visual novel! I’m watching anime for a reason

do what my Dad did

watch fate/zero
    then watch unlimited blade works

then stop there because I moved out of my parents' house so we don't get to watch anime together anymore

I guess it's mostly just that in the huge time skip there's also a couple important short stories like how the robot from Replicant gave the gift of intelligence to the (otherwise unrelated) machines, or how the Nier Replicant drama CD is where the emil vs. aliens war happens, etc. etc.

It's not absolutely necessary - there's plenty of people who just played Replicant without Drakengard or Automata without Replicant and weren't confused - but Yoko Taro's work is all incredibly interconnected across many different types of media.

It kind of reminds me how like, if you look into Vampire Hunter D lore deep enough, you find out that like somewhere between 6000AD and the 12,000 someodd AD the main story takes place that there was like a full on interstellar war between the Vampire Nobility and an invading alien empire

There’s even a spin off novel about one of the Nobility who fought!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Anzekay wrote: »

do what my Dad did

watch fate/zero
    then watch unlimited blade works

then stop there because I moved out of my parents' house so we don't get to watch anime together anymore

I believe Zero is the one everyone recommends, yeah.

I watched four episodes of the old original anime at a con when it was new, then played Extra on PSP, then played FGO.

uyvfOQy.png
    the diehard recommendation is "read the VN", but the more reasonable recommendation is just to watch Fate/Zero and/or Unlimited Blade Works in whatever order and then just pick up whatever anime you feel like after that (you've basically gotten most of the groundwork you need)
    it's a weird thing where FZ is a prequel to UBW but it's written after the fact so it relies on that to underscore the inevitable tragedy etc., but UBW was broadcast after so the anime assumes that you watched them in the "wrong" order

...also, I guess you shouldn't watch Fate/Extra Last Encore unless you've played the Fate/Extra game or something? I dunno, I didn't watch it but that's the feeling I got from people who did.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    yeah, look, here's my very simple view on the fate/ anime and such:

Do you wanna watch the prequel first or second? then watch fate/zero and UBW in the order corresponding to your choice

Did you enjoy them both? Do you wanna watch more fate/ anime? Pick one of the others that takes your interest and watch it. If you don't like it after a few episode, just... don't watch anymore. Maybe try another series if you want to.

That's really about it. Anything else is just diehard stuff and you only need to delve into that if the diehard stuff appeals to you.

My Dad enjoyed Zero and he enjoyed UBW even more. My Dad is not a diehard anime fan. Take that as you will.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I started with the original Fate/Stay Night VN but only got through the first two routes (the base Fate Route and Unlimited Blade Works) in like 2009-2010, and honestly yeah UBW worked real well as a TV anime without losing too much in the adaptation.

I actually don't much care for Zero, mostly just thought it was terribly dry besides a couple of the very best characters. Iskandr and Waver especially.

Beyond that I've never really submitted myself to the Fate franchise's spinoffs, helps that there were so many fewer when I read the VN

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Dungeon Meshi chapter 80:
    Laios can say some smart things and still be incredibly dense, it's amazing.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

ok but u should read higurashi at some point tho,,,

uc3ufTB.png
This discussion has been closed.