As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2021: better than ever!

13»

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I will second A Memory Called Empire, it is definitely a very good book.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    What's this? A package (not unusual) from CoolStuffInc (UNUSUAL)!
    30WwoVUl.jpg

d8gmyjvb8rm3.gif
    n61OtrLl.jpg

It's Just One!
    I got to try this at PAX a few years ago, and it was definitely cool! Looking forward to breaking this one out with the family!
    Thank you!

No note, but given an inquiry from my CF Santa, I'm assuming this belongs here? If not, please let me know.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Gifts are officially ordered! Giftee, you may be receiving two separate boxes due to shipping times. Plus, I have a third gift to send through PM once the first two arrive!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    d8gmyjvb8rm3.gif

A pair of packages were at my front door.
    19a1w7nkbezn.jpeg

I brought them in and prepared to open them. First up we have...
    ae5fldv5x3ow.jpeg

Love Letter! I "love" this game, but sadly already own it. No biggie though, I can always regift it or give the kids their own copy.

Next up we have...
    cqrb7me30yma.jpeg

Coconuts! Never heard of this one before, but it looks right up my kids alley. We played a 4-player game that went back-and-forth for almost 30 minutes. Coconuts went flying and many cups were sniped from each other. Mommy won in the end.

After the game, the kids got even more mileage out of the game buy converting the cups into an ice cream stand that also serves fruit drinks. The markers acted as straws and they took turns ordering ice cream drinks from each other.
    05pl9vaayddn.jpeg

There was no note in the box, so Santa....REVEAL YOURSELF!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Wasn't me, but if that's the version of Coconuts with the monkey-pults, it's rad.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    Wasn't me, but if that's the version of Coconuts with the monkey-pults, it's rad.

Yes it is! And there was some serious coconut launches. Amazingly, all the coconuts were accounted for and none got eaten by the dog.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

It was me all along!

Wow, those came in much faster than I was led to believe! Sorry that you already had a copy of Love Letter, but if you do like that style of gameplay and want some added wrinkles I wholeheartedly recommend Lovecraft Letter. Also I will have a third gift as promised! ... Once I can figure out how to find this stupid digital code Amazon insisted on selling me over a physical product.

Green wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

It was me all along!

Wow, those came in much faster than I was led to believe! Sorry that you already had a copy of Love Letter, but if you do like that style of gameplay and want some added wrinkles I wholeheartedly recommend Lovecraft Letter. Also I will have a third gift as promised! ... Once I can figure out how to find this stupid digital code Amazon insisted on selling me over a physical product.

Thanks @green! I thought it might have been from you based on your post, but it was also only like a day ago so I figured they got here too fast. So yeah, that's some crazy fast shipping!

The kids loved flinging coconuts, and like all boardgames, I imagine the pieces will get turned into some other form of entertainment before too long. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    The US postal service site tells me that the package to my Santee couldn't be dropped off, as there was "no secure location." Check for a notice, if you happen to live in the hometown of the Simpsons!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    @Green hit me up with a final gift: a $10 Nintendo eShop gift card. I'll be using that to buy Big Brain Academy for my daughter on Christmas morning. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    The US postal service site tells me that the package to my Santee couldn't be dropped off, as there was "no secure location." Check for a notice, if you happen to live in the hometown of the Simpsons!

Thats probably me. I live down a half mile driveway so if they cant fit the package into the mailbox they hold it at the sorting facility. I was wondering what the notice i got yesterday was for! I cant wait!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Sweet! This is back up before I head out. @Bursar 's was waiting at the post office for me today. I am very excited to try villainous as I've heard a ton of good things, and to add to Parks. God the art is just amazing. I love it. Here's hoping I can do some gaming this year!

Thank you again Bursar!

I tried to get the traditional animal picture, but he just isn't into board games.

u8vdcpzj798v.jpg
    vtjmzg399163.jpg
    zww4tcjtu5ad.jpg

webguy20 on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @ArcSyn I have it on good authority that Santa has crashed your email inbox. Make sure you check on that~

@ArcSyn I have it on good authority that Santa has crashed your email inbox. Make sure you check on that~

emhyhwS.gif

9y7xrzowts3c.jpg
    Hey, ArcSyn,

As mentioned before, this Christmas has been a slow one for me. You were never forgotten, but I also never felt like I was really figuring your gifts out. Just One (yes, that was very much me) is a very easy pick for your circumstances, but the RPG side of things was just ... harder. Since you're clearly interested in them but don't necessarily have a lot of time for them right now, I thought you might like to try out some solo RPGs to see if they tickle your fancy. Artefact is a delightful little game that won't take up too much of your time, and can be a fun way to craft storied items for those other games when you manage to get back to them. You'll probably want to print some of the materials, speaking from experience. ;P

Check your Steam friend requests as well, as I have one other gift for you on there and they've made it more difficult to send games these last few years ...

Good tidings and season's blessings,

Arctic

A solo RPG?! I have never tried one of those before. I haven't heard of Artefact but it sounds neat and unique.

I totally understand the slow Christmas. I have felt the same way and just never got super into the season this year. No worries! Thank you for the awesome gifts and have a Merry Christmas! Just One has already hit the table multiple times, mostly without me as the kids would play while I've been at work.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Artefact is super neat and has a pretty low barrier to entry. If you like the concept, the creator has also made Bucket of Bolts this last year, which is an identical premise where you build starships rather that items.
    I also considered picking you up Thousand Year Old Vampire, but it takes a bit more dedication, and also how well crafted the physical book is is like half the beauty of that one, and I did not have time to order it before Christmas proper. ;P

bIzVQ6K.gif

One more gift!
    ArcSyn,

Told you there was one more~

Wildmyth should scratch your board game and RPG itch. Hope this give you a few hours of fun (maybe your oldest daughter as well).

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=163915624

Thank you!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Aha, I've just been informed that there's a parcel waiting for me, which I'm pretty sure must be from one of you lot, I'll confirm and grab some pics when I get the chance!

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The dreaded double post, but it's for a good cause!

Once I was in position to crack open the aforementioned parcel, camera at the ready, just what did I find...?

589ttxdh1rjh.jpg

Why, a whole bunch of awesome gifts, that's what! A card game which looks kinda familiar but I'm pretty sure I've never played before, so that should be fun! An ever-handy artists reference colour wheel (I actually had to google up a colour wheel just the other day, so this is pretty useful!) And some fancy-pants reinforcements for my warhammer Slaanesh army, how delightful!
    An excellent, and very generous, selection of gifts, mystery Santa, thank you very much indeed!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    The dreaded double post, but it's for a good cause!

Once I was in position to crack open the aforementioned parcel, camera at the ready, just what did I find...?

589ttxdh1rjh.jpg

Why, a whole bunch of awesome gifts, that's what! A card game which looks kinda familiar but I'm pretty sure I've never played before, so that should be fun! An ever-handy artists reference colour wheel (I actually had to google up a colour wheel just the other day, so this is pretty useful!) And some fancy-pants reinforcements for my warhammer Slaanesh army, how delightful!
    An excellent, and very generous, selection of gifts, mystery Santa, thank you very much indeed!

Meowy Howlidays!! This is part one of the gifts which is the majority of it!! Part two will come later when they get the item in stock!! Elemental games is very good and was very helpful with ordering things!! I am glad to see you enjoy it all! My friends and I love Boss Monster, so I hope you have fun as well!! I'm glad I was able to get you the right things for Warhammer!! Happiest of holidays and happy late Christmas!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure that's the same color wheel I have on my desk for doing GIS maps with overlays that won't make your eyes bleed. Small thing, but a good one.

In other news, I cobbled together a quick Lancer one-off and can report that we all thought it worked pretty well in practice, so thanks again!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

MamaWolf wrote: »
    Meowy Howlidays!! This is part one of the gifts which is the majority of it!! Part two will come later when they get the item in stock!! Elemental games is very good and was very helpful with ordering things!! I am glad to see you enjoy it all! My friends and I love Boss Monster, so I hope you have fun as well!! I'm glad I was able to get you the right things for Warhammer!! Happiest of holidays and happy late Christmas!!

A part two as well? You really are too kind! Thank you so much and a happy holidays to you as well!
    In other news, I cobbled together a quick Lancer one-off and can report that we all thought it worked pretty well in practice, so thanks again!

I'm delighted to hear it! I hope the new year is full of all manner of weird mech escapades (mechscapades) for you all!

My Santa has been in cahoots with my own wife, it seems!

Things have been understandably delayed because of ehhhhh, but goodwill gets through in the end.
    gk35m64933tf.jpg

The box contained no hints of my benefactor's identity, so you remain a mystery for now. Thank you!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png

Things have been understandably delayed because of ehhhhh, but goodwill gets through in the end.
    gk35m64933tf.jpg

The box contained no hints of my benefactor's identity, so you remain a mystery for now. Thank you!

Heyhey! The first package arrived! You still have one more due sometime next week. I have to apologize for it taking so long. I had really hoped to do something cool since we live fairly close together, but between me being sick for the last month, and now Omicron out and about in the world, it just didn't happen. I hope you enjoy the games. I almost got myself a copy of that Robinson Crusoe game myself because it's solitaire mode is supposed to be very neat. You'll have to let me know how the game plays!

webguy20 wrote: »

gk35m64933tf.jpg

Heyhey! The first package arrived! You still have one more due sometime next week. I have to apologize for it taking so long. I had really hoped to do something cool since we live fairly close together, but between me being sick for the last month, and now Omicron out and about in the world, it just didn't happen. I hope you enjoy the games. I almost got myself a copy of that Robinson Crusoe game myself because it's solitaire mode is supposed to be very neat. You'll have to let me know how the game plays!

Hopefully they've improved the rules translation; it's not very good in the edition I've played.

Once you figure out how it's supposed to run, it's a fun game! Good choice.

... and of course I have nothing bad to say about Mage Knight.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

A part two as well? You really are too kind! Thank you so much and a happy holidays to you as well!

I'm delighted to hear it! I hope the new year is full of all manner of weird mech escapades (mechscapades) for you all!

Yes still waiting on it to come in stock. I ordered it in November....so it could come later this year *shrug* sorry

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Yes still waiting on it to come in stock. I ordered it in November....so it could come later this year *shrug* sorry

It's all good, shipping is all over the place right now, I'll keep an eye on the post!

I did finish slapping some paint on some of the minis you graciously gifted me though, which were a lot of fun to glam up, so thank you very much for that!

0kjl9898ukbn.jpg
    n8jnh11rucxe.jpg

webguy20 wrote: »

gk35m64933tf.jpg

The second part has arrived!

The Krang character for Mage Knight! You've gone above and beyond in completing this game for me. Thanks so much.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Aha, I believe the prophesied part 2 has made it's way through the postal jam to my letterbox, or at least I don't remember ordering any disembodied dwarven heads recently!

9z4dbgz0s15y.jpg

Unfortunately the packaging got a bit dinged in the post, but there's no damage to the actual bust that I can see. I've been looking to try my hand at painting something like this for a while, so this gruff and grizzled beardy bloke seems a fine place to start, I'm eager to get some paint on him! Thanks so much!!

edited February 2022
    Aha, I believe the prophesied part 2 has made it's way through the postal jam to my letterbox, or at least I don't remember ordering any disembodied dwarven heads recently!

9z4dbgz0s15y.jpg

Unfortunately the packaging got a bit dinged in the post, but there's no damage to the actual bust that I can see. I've been looking to try my hand at painting something like this for a while, so this gruff and grizzled beardy bloke seems a fine place to start, I'm eager to get some paint on him! Thanks so much!!

Finally! I'm glad it finally arrived!! Hope you have fun with it!! And again sorry it arrived so late.

MamaWolf on
    Without attempting to call out any potential Easter Bunny recipients, how'd we do? Is 2021's CF Santa-ing brought to a close?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    I think we did well! I will check today and post the list.

santasig.jpg
  • CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    This year, we had not one, not two, but THREE loops. Behold!

@MNC Dover > @MamaWolf > @Halos Nach Tariff > @Auralynx > @tzeentchling > @Denada > @see317 > @Green > @MNC Dover

@ArcSyn > @Gabriel_Pitt > @ArcticLancer > @ArcSyn
    and...

The webguy-Bursar pairing was entirely unplanned and happened completely by chance. Let me know if I missed anything.

If anyone has any comments/concerns/complaints about the event let me know!

CF SANTA on
    santasig.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    How -dare- you warn me of incoming Soritas reinforcements so I can prepare for their arrival? (Oh shit quick! Hide all the heresy! Genestealers, put your pants back on! Dark reapers, do something with the bongs!)

Merry Christmas! :D I kinda panicked this morning when I had been waffling on what to get, and then found out there were supply issues at the top two places I had bookmarked.

Present arrived!

I asked one of my faithful assistants to lend a hand with the box, but he wasn't having any of it -

Rcd8yGU.jpg

- so instead I sought the aid of three of my previous Santa gifts, and that was the right call, because the trend of receiving Sisters of Battle war walkers continues!

FxqDwfO.jpg

The donuts were not part of the gift, they were just a handy boy to stand on.

Thank you Arc Syn!

Yay! I hope she leads you to victory in battle!

I gotta say, being completely unfamiliar with WH40k this was an interesting journey. I had no idea what anything you said in the hint post was beforehand.

I got to see some in person yesterday at PAXU and definitely expected the box to be much bigger. I don't know why, but I thought it was going to be shoebox sized. :lol:

The presentation and details of the models make them seem like they should be bigger, but your average human sized figure is about 1" tall, so even with an impressive warsuit that probably stands a total of 4" tall, well, that's still only 4" tall.

Berserkers wired into buzzsaw and flamethrower wielding warframes have been part of the army since it was introduced 20+ years ago, but the elaborate warsuits are a new addition to the army, to keep long term players like me fascinated with shiny new toys, and Games Workshop has been adding extra badness new HQ units to all the armies, because who doesn't want a gorgeous new model kicking ass at the head of their forces? :biggrin:

I'll definitely put pictures up when Vahl is assembled and painted.

Following-up on this post, Morvenn Vahl is the big fancy new HQ model from the latest Sisters of Battle update, and I've finally got her painted, although messing around with my phone camera instead of my digicam, the phot quality is pretty bad. Still, an awesome model and I can't wait to have her leading my sororitas in righteous flamey purging.
    Z3vZF5O.gif

n4vPSnq.jpg

rYPYPCc.jpg

CeZnfNj.jpg

Absolutely incredible! May she bring victory on the battlefield in your honor!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is it time to summon @CF SANTA from his dread slumber once again?

I'd also been wondering about that on the weekend. Somehow life feels busier than ever, but I will definitely do what I can to spread merry tidings.

Santa Wolf is ready!!

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of joining the Secret Santa over here since I normally participate in the G&T one.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja