As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah that’s a Chaos Warrior, not Marine.

Also, Marines largely didn’t change aside from whatever gubbins were on their armour for like… two decades until Primaris? And even that was just lengthening the legs and arms for better proportions.

When the plastic multipart kit dropped at the dawn of 3rd edition (I wanna say 1999 or 2000?) the backpacks and bolters saw a pretty noticeable overhaul and marines stopped having gemstones on their chests but otherwise yeah. 3rd marked the pivot to exponential grimdarkening that's still playing out today. Black undercoats became more common and bases started to shift away from Goblin Green around this time as well.

I used to scoff at the aesthetics of the 80s and 90s stuff when the 00s rolled around. I've since come around and I deeply regret getting rid of my old stuff when I did. I've stopped tracking the amount of money I've spent recently trying to get that vibe back because I don't want to see the number and get depressed.

This 1994 paint set is just the tip of the iceberg. I've gotten my hands on (or have in transit) some stuff.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I find the old minis have a charm to them that the new ones don’t

Which isn’t to say they are better, but what the models lacked in details they more than made up for in character

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    Excluding dry brushes, giant brushes, and like ultra-fine stuff. What size brushes would you recommend having on hand?

Edit: Should have refreshed before asking, I guess. Should I have a 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Or would like a 0, 2, and 4 suffice? NGL these Windsors are pricey.

I was recently gifted these. Working great for minis! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCY7Q9D/?coliid=I3NHGNU1U9K2AI&colid=20Q4X3AKK6JDX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    Nice to have some cheapo brushes

VayBJ4e.png
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah that’s a Chaos Warrior, not Marine.

Also, Marines largely didn’t change aside from whatever gubbins were on their armour for like… two decades until Primaris? And even that was just lengthening the legs and arms for better proportions.

When the plastic multipart kit dropped at the dawn of 3rd edition (I wanna say 1999 or 2000?) the backpacks and bolters saw a pretty noticeable overhaul and marines stopped having gemstones on their chests but otherwise yeah. 3rd marked the pivot to exponential grimdarkening that's still playing out today. Black undercoats became more common and bases started to shift away from Goblin Green around this time as well.

I used to scoff at the aesthetics of the 80s and 90s stuff when the 00s rolled around. I've since come around and I deeply regret getting rid of my old stuff when I did. I've stopped tracking the amount of money I've spent recently trying to get that vibe back because I don't want to see the number and get depressed.

This 1994 paint set is just the tip of the iceberg. I've gotten my hands on (or have in transit) some stuff.

I love looking at the old 2nd edition 40K White Dwarf battle reports; everything is just more colourful and joyous and goofy. Also much easier to follow. Something that I don't think current White Dwarf manages.

PSN Fleety2009
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I generally prefer the new figures to the old. That said, the new ones could do with a bit less extraneous details, sometimes.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I find the old minis have a charm to them that the new ones don’t

Which isn’t to say they are better, but what the models lacked in details they more than made up for in character

Yeah they are objectively not better. So many advances have been made in sculpting and materials in the intervening decades that there's just no comparison. What we get today are truly amazing from a technical standpoint.

But they do lack charm and character and tend to be overdone with detailing to the point of being exhausting to paint.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I seriously looked at the Cursed City reprint announcement, thought "Goddamm that's cool, I wish I'd gotten that".

Then I looked at the models again, and had the second thought "Goddamn that looks like it'd take me an actual eternity to paint."

I actually felt exhaustion conceiving the amount of work it would take. I get this a lot when looking at GW's stuff, which I'm usually spying 40k things, but this was on a new level.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    novaspike wrote: »
    Nice, what game/system are those for?

The top thing is a chaos beast? from Warhammer with lazy dry painting mostly

The bottom image has two Ghuls? from Warhammer Blackstone Fortress, a Reaper scarecrow lady, and a character from Guild Ball's Farmers Guild team. They were used for a Halloween d&d one-shot

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cursed city is actually quick to paint

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I haven't painted any minis in a year, and most of my hobby stuff has fallen to the wayside this year (especially the back half as I've been focusing on myself).

I decided to splurge for Christmas and get my bro a Vortex Mixer for his mini painting. This is a piece of lab equipment designed to stir test tubes. It's fairly pricey, so of course I got 2 of them because I hate stirring paints and that was one of the things keeping me back from painting.

It's so much fun!

https://youtu.be/0irOuSXoLys

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I seriously looked at the Cursed City reprint announcement, thought "Goddamm that's cool, I wish I'd gotten that".

Then I looked at the models again, and had the second thought "Goddamn that looks like it'd take me an actual eternity to paint."

I actually felt exhaustion conceiving the amount of work it would take. I get this a lot when looking at GW's stuff, which I'm usually spying 40k things, but this was on a new level.

Funnily enough the only stuff which felt like a drag to paint in CC were the basic zombie mooks, who do have a lot of detail going on for, well, basic zombie mooks. Probably helps that a lot of the villains, and some of the heroes, are all gritty and grimy, so you can be a bit messy without anyone noticing!

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Hello. I am here to inspect your corpse grinder.

z0rf6rb7xey6.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Well hello there, gorgeous.

dty7d0i91vrj.jpg

Still shrink-wrapped.
    7q3tzodz3c7e.jpg

Not shrink-wrapped anymore!

xyz0uho7u2fn.jpg

Gave them all a good shake, still sound liquid.

aboyxgtabd2v.jpg

Keen, I say this with utmost respect and care - it looks like you've embarked on a dangerous path... I think hunting down vintage 40k can be potentially bankrupting :o)

I totally agree with you guys regarding new models - in most cases they're better technically but lack the charm.
    In the example of the primaris - Add much better proportions to the original marines. Now take everything that made them cool and rich and... throw it away. You used to have tens of different heads, torsos, legs - now everybody looks exactly the same. WHY would that be a good idea?
    I think the previous vs newest horrors are the strongest example of a downgrade - but maybe it's because I love the metal ones so goddamn much.
    Thankfully in many cases the newer models are an all-around upgrade, like the new CSM.

Mayday wrote: »
    Keen, I say this with utmost respect and care - it looks like you've embarked on a dangerous path... I think hunting down vintage 40k can be potentially bankrupting :o)

Embarked on? Motherfucker, I paved it.

Once some more stuff makes its way to me, I'll take some more photos and you'll damn well believe I'd bought a time machine (which probably would have cost less).

Luckily for me I have very specific collection targets and I've largely accomplished them at this point.

Alright then, awesome for you and I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    At one point I was struck with the desire to start collecting all the vintage chaos Marines because of how insanely weird they were (mushroom body anyone?). Thankfully I came to my senses some 30 minutes later but I gotta tell you I was on the brink of greatness.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    In honor of Keenbean, I present my slaanesh Chaos Knight. The picture quality is meh, he was too big.for my light box.

x9lpd1f3tv7x.png

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    edited December 2021
    TIL you can mix Yellow plus Black and get a dull Green. Art, physics, and the human eye are wild, man.

Also, "Olive Drab" continues to be a maddening concept. No wonder scale modelers all lose their minds as they get older.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    @Koreg that looks absolutely royal, I love it!

Something from me tonight, first off - Amallyn. I don't much care for the pose, but the model was pretty straightforward and I was cool with just copying the GW scheme as much as I could, so that was relaxing.
    zUEUG6g.png

And now for something completely different, my 6yo daughter expressed interest in painting and wanted to try her hands on an ork boy. So this is something she painted 100% by herself, under my guidance.
    Qnujkcv.png

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    @Koreg that looks absolutely royal, I love it!

Something from me tonight, first off - Amallyn. I don't much care for the pose, but the model was pretty straightforward and I was cool with just copying the GW scheme as much as I could, so that was relaxing.
    zUEUG6g.png
    And now for something completely different, my 6yo daughter expressed interest in painting and wanted to try her hands on an ork boy. So this is something she painted 100% by herself, under my guidance.
    Qnujkcv.png

Wow I love those colors.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I have been working on genestealers more recently. Colors remain tough for me, though I've been using a color wheel for overall plans ... Just bad at ending up with a realistic combination of colors. The dude in the middle is WIP and kind of an attempt to get the colors to work in a way that will be repeated over and over.
    w1mt1lb9rhgx.jpg

INeedNoSalt on
    6cioo9751wt4.jpeg

WIP from the last model I will finish this year

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    really, really like that eldar ranger

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited January 2022
    After 10,000 miles and 33 years, I finally have it.

dr3rhdba6jdp.jpg0wd26dazw1in.jpg

Sure hope the paint's still good!

Still waiting on my sealed Ork & Eldar set to arrive from Paris.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Nice! The Space Marine Paint Set was the first Citadel paints I got (before that I used to paint with Humbrol enamels). Good times. Gotta love that oldschool orange Blood Angel red and the Salamander Black.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    After 10,000 miles and 33 years, I finally have it.

dr3rhdba6jdp.jpg0wd26dazw1in.jpg

Sure hope the paint's still good!

Still waiting on my sealed Ork & Eldar set to arrive from Paris.

Huh, I did not know the Emperor was a gold-skinned orc/minotaur hybrid. You'd think that would come up more often.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Black ultramarine with yellow markings is a rad colour theme.

Edit: although that might be a very dark blue, too? Anyway, looks good.

honovere on
    I opened it. Shockingly there was almost no separation and giving them all a good shake they still sound liquid. I'm most surprised that the Boltgun Metal may have survived. The metallics are the ones that tend to go bad after decades.

sa8mp22kistg.jpg
    hqnbcj19g8ga.jpg

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Seeing that is making me want to do some old school orangecore Blood Angels… dammit, I just got the T’au out…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    The old-school gw paints were basically indestructible. I've got pots that are like 25 years old and still kicking.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited January 2022
    Is it possible to have nostalgia for something you never personally experienced? 'Cause Keen's posts are giving me that.

In other discussion topics, what are y'all using for wet palette parchment? I've become dissatisfied with my grocery store kitchen brand options, and would like to graduate up to something a little more "artsy" for miniature painting.

Nips on
    I've been using the paper to which my wife's panty liners come attached. Works absolutely perfect for me.
    How's that for artsy?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do plan on getting or building a wet pallet sometime this spring as it was some of the things they painted on Warhammer + that finally sold me on it

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I just use baking parchment, but it sounds like you're going a different way

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    This year gone I've mostly been painting MCP and I have been woefully behind in posting pictures of it anywhere, so lets fix that:
    2P9QYYf.jpg
    Mister Doctor Strange
    T4Bmas8.jpg
    And the Cape of Levitation
    WfXUF1a.jpg
    Cage fighter extraordinaire, Wong
    vPeFOit.jpg
    Captain Marvel, ready to give someone the Danvers Special
    xf5moI9.jpg
    Hood, one of my favourite criminal shitheads
    HiYD4bD.jpg
    His ... darker side.
    OkYKk4v.jpg
    And Omega Red, the most 90s Wolverine Villain

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited January 2022
    So I figure after painting some ~20 models for this army, now might be a good time to actually work on the colour scheme?

ly32zrI.jpg

Mayday on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I don't understand any of your notes. It looks like you're drawing sigils to beseech the Dark Gods to grant you unholy painting skills.

Which, based on the results, seem to be working.

From this moment until the end of my days on this earth I shall henceforth pronounce turquoise as 'turkus'.

Kek, that's just the Polish word for turquoise - I didn't have enough space on the paper to fit the English name. Enjoy!

Kek, that's just the Polish word for turquoise - I didn't have enough space on the paper to fit the English name. Enjoy!

Oh, it wasnt' the color names that confused me (although the mix of Polish and English was an interesting choice), it's the numbered diagrams I couldn't make heads or tails of.

@Dr_Keenbean : What's your thing with the old paints, anyway? Why not use the modern stuff? Genuine question. There's a million manufacturers; surely some of them make decent paint?

This discussion has been closed.