As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    To be fair it is impossible to stay in bronze unless you finish in the bottom 7 with 0 kills/assists every single match, and in silver it's easy to carry those bad habits forwards and still gain points overall, so staying in the first two ranks is actually kinda tricky!

You're right about that, obviously but it was more of an illustration of the kind of play i was seeing- I don't know what I did to make the matchmaker think I was capable of carrying a steady stream of gold IV duos but that's what I was given a solid 50% of my games.

One game I had yesterday, I have a Seer/Bloodhound duo. I am doing modestly well harassing people already in fights with my Sentinel, but the duo has other ideas about where to rotate on ring 3, when the ring is closing in on the outside of Command Center. They route towards the south with that giant uphill slope when we easily could go towards the waterfall area in between Command center and Cascade Falls (which is where I'm posted up, comfortably in ring), get gatekept, and awkwardly have to circle back around towards where I am doing my thing. They get into another uphill fight because the ring has closed them out of any other routes at this point, and the Bloodhound goes down. They're saved by the fact that the team uphill of them wants to reposition for ring 4 and I'm sniping said team the whole time, so they manage to meet up with me and slowly make their way up into ring. We get inside, pick off a lone Gibby and then it's last 3 squads, one of which is presumably a rat and 1 other full team. At this point we are situated solidly within ring, like dead center, while the other full squad is slightly outside and must cross the open area outside Command Center to get in. We have a good position to punish them as they do that. What does this BH do after having ulted earlier when we take out the Gibby?

A) scan for enemies, hold position at some of the bins and shoot at the enemy team as they try to move in.
    B) scan for enemies, then charge in 1v3 out into the open as the enemy team is moving out.

:rotate:

we lose a perfectly winnable game because Bloodhound decided that they must throw for whatever reason.
    dao10ta56pfa.png

contrast that with the winning game I had, where the Octane was absolutely doing a good chunk of the work but we all contributed, nobody made huge tactical mistakes, and that was enough to secure a win in a final fight vs another full team
    We won the Barometer scrum where there were at least 3 other teams early which set us ahead, got into the mix again at Cascade Falls, and then it was just us and the other team which we eventually outfought after Octane got a down, went down immediately after himself but the Valk and I charged in to clean up.
    37q1hugm0nwq.png

like, am I an amazing player? absolutely not. I am likely at best slightly above average - I could stand to shoot much better but I don't really put the time into practicing Aimlabs or similar things. I like to think I minimize the amount of tactical missteps I make and I try to be better at positioning/map awareness in order to make up for my mechanical shortfalls. But the amount of pants on head decisionmaking I saw on display this season really makes me wonder how some of these people ever get out of gold IV. Are these people just constantly banking on having one good game to make up for 5-10 bad ones? It defies the imagination.

The amount of games where I was left without teammates in the first 5 minutes was the mass majority of my games in solo Q and arguably would have been like 95% of them if I were smarter and absolutely ratted out every game instead of trying to salvage situations where my teammates committed suicide in the span of seconds. Like Peen said, I would be satisfied with teammates that just don't make incredibly dumb decisions but it seems like those are in really short supply this season.

Orphane on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm barely at the top of Bronze, so I expect dumb shit, but when you're down to the final two teams and everyone clearly knows where everyone is and one of your teammates takes it on themselves to heroically charge the other team and die and then frantically ping "the enemy's there!" at you it's just infuriating, like thanks guy you yourself decided we were going to lose, ugh.

I have rediscovered the joy of the early game punch fight, there's not much more satisfying than dancing around someone who grabs a gun first but gets lost in the sauce and you get to punch them to death. If that happens I don't care what happens for the rest of the game, I've already won.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Early season platinum is decent, but later on you have all the hardstuck Plat IV's throwing because they don't care since they can't de-rank. It's a weird mentality.

• Options
    The winter event is coming next week and it's pirate themed, for reasons, but the Winter Express capture the train mode is coming back so who cares, TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GUBourLrc

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Pirate themed? Well, obviously! On Snowflake Day, Snowflake Jake comes on his magical pirate ship and fires his cannon full of spices into the homes of all the girls and boys who threaten him just right!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I like all this Pirate stuff, I like it a whole lot. But for once I have the self control to not spend any money getting any of it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I had a game the other day, in Trios, and the 3rd team mate dropped from the game almost immediately. So the two of us ended up playing a lot more cagey on Storm Point, and we managed to avoid all fights (we didn't see anyone until the end).

Using the little recon markers we found the building the circle was going to close on; we fought one guy at the end, did about 250 damage between the two of us, and won the whole thing. I would say I felt dirty, but I've had games on Storm Point where we've been caught by the circle, died and given the other team the win.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Play the game long enough and weird stuff happens.

I had one win somewhere in the summer that was an 300 damage 8 kill win between the whole team, where all we did was exquisitely timed 3rd party twice.

My one win today was just about the opposite a fragment drop where one teammate died in the second clusterfuck (we won the first), 2 other teams rushed, they somehow entangled each other and we just walked out, we started running for the respawn beacon as a team with 2 snipers chased, held that high ground ice ridge because the sniping team had no vert mobility, then it was essentially one long fight where no-one dared to push to the finale from 6 teams to 1. Just endless plunking and 3 teams with loba's guzzling every single shield cell. Didn't quite get 2500, but all 3 of us were 2000damage ish with only like 7 kills between us.

PS Please make fragment unattractive. Cover it in 90% lava or something. Next reset is Worlds Edge ranked and no thanks.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I actually think the next map should just be a completely urban area. A lot of people clearly love dropping fragment, it’s a fun area to fight with a lot of teams, so why not lean into it? Call it Metropolis and just have it be 4 times the size of Fragment.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And yet somehow there'd still be a 'streamer building', and despite going up to 90 players in the lobby we'd still immediately have complaints that everyone drops in one place and there's 10 people scattered on the fringes by ring 2.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'd normally agree with you, but since that doesn't really seem to happen in any of the other maps, I can confidently say that Fragment is simply a symptom of people wanting to copy their favorite streamer and/or a lack of desire to learn other areas of the game.

Really reminds me when Rocket League did away with the unique arenas because simply didn't want to learn to play on them.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think part of it is going from Storm Point to World's Edge too, I used to really like World's Edge, but this season in particular it feels like either drop fragment for a 20 second match or drop any other site and not see anyone for 15 minutes, whilst Storm Point is more deliberately dispersed, which works really well for ranked/more serious games, but can make random games drag on a bit. I think I probably could've scraped into platinum this split if I hadn't spent so much time messing around with the (always fun) holiday train game, I'll try to get there next split, but I'm not sure how that will go on a map everyone's more familiar with!

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'd normally agree with you, but since that doesn't really seem to happen in any of the other maps, I can confidently say that Fragment is simply a symptom of people wanting to copy their favorite streamer and/or a lack of desire to learn other areas of the game.

I wasn't even playing and I know of the tales of Skulltown being THE place to drop until they blew it up.

Or Estates/Hammond where most games would see 1/3 of the lobby dead.

It certainly doesn't happen on every map with every drop ship path, but 'half the lobby drops in one place' is far from unique to World's Edge.

Oh, Fragment is currently the worst offender, but it wasn't that long ago that my friends would joke about being in the top 10 by the time they landed if the ship happened to start over Skulltown and they waited until the end of that nonsense.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I wasn't even playing and I know of the tales of Skulltown being THE place to drop until they blew it up.

Or Estates/Hammond where most games would see 1/3 of the lobby dead.

It certainly doesn't happen on every map with every drop ship path, but 'half the lobby drops in one place' is far from unique to World's Edge.

Oh, Fragment is currently the worst offender, but it wasn't that long ago that my friends would joke about being in the top 10 by the time they landed if the ship happened to start over Skulltown and they waited until the end of that nonsense.

yes, but it's extremely exacerbated by World's Edge's geography to the point that people in normals will just quit out if you don't drop Fragment sometimes. the design feeds into the player mentality which creates a vicious cycle of "if you don't go fragment the entire back half of the game will just be dead time" and it's mind numbingly boring to play World's Edge because of it

they had a chance to shake up world's edge in s10 but they chickened out of doing anything interesting to Fragment and just opted for sprucing up the northeast corner of that quadrant which is like, guess what, even if you drop Climatizer you still go Fragment immediately after because where else are you gonna go

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    That Fragment is centrally located hurts too, because it means the ship is always going to fly over it. Skulltown was near the corner of the map, so there were a fair number of matches where it was unpopulated just because getting to it wasn't practical.

• Options
    It’s interesting to contrast that with Jurassic park on storm point. The place seems consciously designed to force players away from the middle of the map, basically the opposite of fragment.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    djj4zm2knw7t.png

3AM on the last day of the split, fuck yeah! Looking forward to worlds edge.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Just barely squeaked into Plat last night myself. It's not particularly brag worthy, though I do straight up suck at this game, and consider getting out of gold to be more of an effort of patience than skill, but it was nice to do it all the same.

I even dropped in plat lobbies for an hour or so, and it was interesting to see that level of play. Got a kill or two, got to watch the fireworks display of diamond/masters trails out of the ship, etc.

Several of them were short handed (either loaded in as a duo or in one case, had a player abandon the game as we left the ship, I guess a -72 penalty and a 10 minute timer seemed better than playing with us? :-( ), but it was an experience all the same.

I made a point of always passing off jump master rights, and mostly played Loba (my 'main', I suppose) to provide all I could to the team, but it was a reminder that Gold is more my speed.

A buddy of mine was super busy with work, but plans to aim for Plat in the second half, and as I enjoy World's Edge (other than Fragment, as discussed), hopefully we can get him there without too much trouble. He's better than I am at the game, so I don't think it'll be much of a challenge as long as he can commit to the amount of drops necessary to make it happen.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    djj4zm2knw7t.png

3AM on the last day of the split, fuck yeah! Looking forward to worlds edge.

Grats! Those end of season ranking matches are sweat as fuuuuuuuuuuck too.

Pushing for master next season then? :P

• Options
    Haha, I’ve considered it but probably not. The way the required RP increases each rank makes it a huge grind to get past diamond, and I’d rather spend some time with Halo and Forza right now.

I may try getting to D3 this split, and if I get that far I’ll consider going for master. At this rank though I think my (lack of) gun/twitch skill is going to sink me. I get through plat largely by smart positioning and carefully picking fights, but in a straight 1 on 1 I’ll lose more often than I win.

• Options
    Had a game last night where a Wraith dropped us in the hotzone, ran off on her own died and then left leaving me as a lifeline and a pathfinder.

Pathfinder nearly bought it as he was going to recover the wraith.

We were not in a good state, I was walking around with a Mozambique for a chunk of it but managed to get quite a few kills. I understand it to have a poor reputation but it seems to shred people easily enough.

Anyway we ended up winning despite being a team of 2 for most of the game. Take that Wraith of very little hope. I reckon if she’d stayed around we’d have gotten involved in some fights and lost instead of playing a bit cagier.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Mozambique is much better than it was during its meme days, though not quite as good as the four shot hammerpoint version. I wouldn’t run it to endgame but it will surprise people if you play carefully with it.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's kind of a budget wingman, and the effective range is not bad for a shotgun, I wouldn't necessarily want to run one much past the mid-game, but there are worse guns to land on off drop.

I've been trying to push myself a little this season, I've managed to keep my K/D above 1 for the first time, and I hoping to be able to reach platinum rank for the first time too. Granted neither of those are necessarily huge things, but I'll take what I can get!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The mozam slaps. I think it's my favorite shotgun.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Yeah much of the Mozambique's poor reputation comes from the early days when it had 3 shots and hit like a nerf gun. Personally I think it's a pretty quality gun on its own and it's got good range for a shotgun.

I sort of wish shotguns had more attachments. I also wish there was a gold shotgun bolt, either to do the autoreload other guns get or something unique to shotguns, but I think they could use more love in terms of peripherals. There also hasn't been a new one in awhile.

I like shotguns.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    New event coming next week, deep sea themed for some reason. I miss LTMs that came with new game modes, the ones that are just "here's some new skins I guess" are pretty dumb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8EWXigw8o

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    New event coming next week, deep sea themed for some reason. I miss LTMs that came with new game modes, the ones that are just "here's some new skins I guess" are pretty dumb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8EWXigw8o

Yeah but game modes are hard and new skins make tons of money so

• Options
    I did hear a lot of the main dev team are on holiday/break currently, but yes, I'm not a huge fan of these new mini-events. I guess doing the little weekly challenge trackers is fun if you ignore the double-priced skins.

I just spent two hours in gold 1 lobbies and wound up with less RP than I had yesterday, this might take longer than I thought!

• Options
    Game modes are also pretty easy if they recycle. They could just re-run some of the previous ones, and assuming (maybe this is a big assumption) the new guns and legends don't somehow break shit wide open, I imagine getting some old hits back for a week now and then wouldn't be an overly arduous amount of work. Especially later in the season when people are starting to finish off the battle pass.

Not that getting a break now and then is a bad thing, but I've hit plat already and have just under 5 weeks to get like 29 levels. Assuming the even track (I believe it's 3 weeks ago) throws a bunch at us once more, I'm not particularly worried about averaging a level a day, even with skipping some here and there, doubly so with more weekly sets still coming (2 more, I believe).

I hate the arenas but with the new map coming I'm guessing at least one week is going to drag me back into the shitshow that I've generally found them to be. Even when I'm winning I find it's rarely a fun experience, because many of them are against like account level 8's (that aren't smurfs based on their gameplay) or we're stomping a team 3 v 2 (or the reverse is happening and I'm getting stomped 3v2 or my team mates are still figuring out which end of the gun is the dangerous one).

• Options
    On top of the trailer, they also posted the event details:

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/dark-depths-event

It's a bit much to copy/paste, so worth glancing at, but it's mostly about the new arena map. However, they do show off the 3 event tracks, so anyone still working on/worrying about finishing the Battlepass, know that it contains 6 full levels worth (plus whatever you earn during those games, of course).

29 levels to go for me, so if it's not too obnoxious to complete (which it usually isn't), makes it more like 23.

23 levels in just under 5 weeks should be a cakewalk, and that's before getting into anything else they might toss into the mix (though they seem to have walked away entirely from double xp weekends and the like), especially with 2 more sets of weeklies to unlock.

• Options
    Word on the Twitters from Shrugtal is that we may see a hotfix tomorrow to bring the Rampage and Sentinel back to the loot pool.

I'm absolute garbage with the latter, but dearly miss the former, so that'll be welcome if it happens.

• Options
    Bleh, the game plays much better without the rampage in the mix. I don’t think it’s necessary OP but it’s one of the most irritating guns to fight.

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    I can't believe this thermite knocked the Octane, he ran right into it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQi4b7l6MBw

• Options
    edited January 2022
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Bleh, the game plays much better without the rampage in the mix. I don’t think it’s necessary OP but it’s one of the most irritating guns to fight.

Whenever I pick one up I'm lucky if I can land a shot with it, but I sure do seem to get knocked from it in four bullets from halfway downtown a lot, it is a pretty annoying weapon! I think I heard somewhere that it's increasingly popular in high level play, so perhaps we'll see a slight nerf at some point, who knows?

I did manage to hit platinum for the first time, which I recognise isn't all that crazy a feat, but it's about the limit of my ability I reckon so I'm not complaining! Ranked is kinda weird (especially solo/without comms) cos a lot of the time whether you actually get points or not comes down to whether your teammates understand basic stuff like not landing directly on top of another squad from the ship, or trying to fight 1v3s they don't need to instead of running away and circling back, but it is what it is, I guess the gold RP cost doesn't feel that steep for better players so they're content to play riskier.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Had a game yesterday where one of my team mates, a Valk, ran between 2 buildings to push on a team and promptly got beamed by 2 other teams fighting it out. He then went on comms and shouted at us for not coming with him. I went out to see if I could get him back up and met a similar fate.

The pathfinder on our team managed to get our beacons and bring us back in; we then went on to win.

No further comms from the Valk....

I also played a few games with Caustic to get a daily done, and won two games in a row, so there he sits on his profile with 7 kills, 2 wins.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I had a great game last night where I dropped with a pair of absolute units of players with over 13,000 kills apiece.

My highest is like 500-600'ish.

We dropped Fragment (because of course we did), and what ensued was a complete Benny Hill routine, as one got knocked and killed, the other got knocked while recovering their banner, so I ran to respawn them, at which point the second was boxed, and we went on a recovery mission behind enemy lines, successfully, respawned them, and went on to win the game.

Wasn't even ranked.

I was baffled to see not just one but two high kill players who didn't immediately bail on the game the moment they weren't playing for 5 seconds.

Normally I trim down my games to just the mid/end game, whenever the real action kicks off, but the very opening to this one was something out of a movie or trailer, except instead of being an unstoppable bad ass, I was fleeing for my damned life for several minutes straight.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I have had some great caustic games in ranked. Once read zone timing in a 3 team clusterfuck and we barely beat it, but left barrels and killed all other survivors, then chucked ult forward to take space on final team. Teammates absolutely beamed them as they pushed on my last barrel and I finished the last one off.

• Options
    I don't know if it's just cos it's towards the end of the season and only the diehard fans are still around, but sneaking in wins feels a lot tougher lately, I think I only managed to scrape two over the last week.

I did manage a respectable performance with the tried and trusty Flatline though, even if it wasn't a winner. Sure wish I could've stretched out an extra 100 damage somewhere though, I've basically resigned myself to never being able to get another damage badge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcn8fpHFZIw

• Options
    I've actually had the reverse, and seen much more success than I had in many previous weeks.

Even had 2 rather crazy games on WE where shit was completely off the charts, it was like being a civilian in the opening of a war movie, people dying left and right, shit escalating, minutes spent fleeing for my damned life while squad after squad boxed each other.