As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I do like that Todd Howard is very much aware of what makes a Bethesda game unique, which is for me the ability to pick up all the objects in a room and have them all rendered in detailed 3D. It sounds silly but for me it’s a sign that he gets it. Like that’s the metaphorical heart to me of Bethesda games in terms of exploring environments
    Prohass wrote: »
    I do like that Todd Howard is very much aware of what makes a Bethesda game unique, which is for me the ability to pick up all the objects in a room and have them all rendered in detailed 3D. It sounds silly but for me it’s a sign that he gets it. Like that’s the metaphorical heart to me of Bethesda games in terms of exploring environments

It would be great if you could pickup an object with your hand and place it.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The Gunk was a fun little game that'll take you 6-8 hours to finish. Would like to see what they do with these characters again.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm playing the GTA San Andreas definitive that's up on game pass, stupid graphic upgrades and horrible mid-action loading constantly, already had it eat a save and just crash out constantly to the home page.

(I also never knew it took place in early 90's LA, I would have played it sooner knowing that even after burning out on sandboxes with Vice City. I always thought it took place in loser 2003 era LA)

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm playing the GTA San Andreas definitive that's up on game pass, stupid graphic upgrades and horrible mid-action loading constantly, already had it eat a save and just crash out constantly to the home page.

(I also never knew it took place in early 90's LA, I would have played it sooner knowing that even after burning out on sandboxes with Vice City. I always thought it took place in loser 2003 era LA)

OG San Andreas is a good game for its era and, as you have discovered, a period piece as much as VC was.

The "Definitive" is an abomination, of course.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Microsoft, what are you doing with this Halo Infinite Gamepass perk? You want me to go to a website and mess with a login instead of just adding it to my account like all of the other perks? And this is for your flagship game?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Microsoft, what are you doing with this Halo Infinite Gamepass perk? You want me to go to a website and mess with a login instead of just adding it to my account like all of the other perks? And this is for your flagship game?

My guess with stuff like this is some team has a traffic quota to meet on some part of the website and so you get this

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I posted a while back about Netflix and a couple other streaming apps making the dimming zones on my qled go haywire. Turns out it's dolby vision that was the problem. Turned it off on my X and no issues since. Weird.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Just finished a 100% run on The Gunk. Compared to the Steamworld games (which I have played 3/4ths of), I'm... unenthusiastic. As a springboard to training their team to doing a more complex/higher budget 3D game? Yeah, that sounds promising. It kind of reminds me of Haven in a way, in that kind of short, intentionally easy, plot mainly deals with anti-corporatism and pro-environmentalism stuff, with a core relationship meant to be the heart of the storyline.

Gameplay thoughts:
    -No map or indicator is kind of rough, especially if you go backwards intentionally or for resources to max out the upgrades. Just playing the game through linearly it's fine, but I would certainly prefer a net to catch players who get lost. At one point early on, I missed like a pixel of Gunk and walked in circles for 15-20 minutes trying to figure out what was going wrong. If the game is meant to be easy (everything else in the game points in this direction), provide MORE help, not less.
    -The core mechanic (vacuuming) feels acceptable but not like... amazing. If it felt incredible or addicting, I'd have more nice to say about this one. As is, it does what it's supposed to and the game doesn't softlock or mess up, so good on them.
    -Since they didn't have too many good ideas, a short length was the right idea but... have more ideas instead? Steamworld Dig feels like a much more satisfying package, despite also being short and limited. Dig 2 blows this game out of the water in a lot of different ways.
    -The slow walk, lowest point of the narrative level plays like absolute shit. Don't break your game's (already extremely basic!) mechanics for a narrative point so simple as "the character is feeling bad right now".

Story thoughts:
    -They went WAY too far on Becks being the "sensible" one. A wounded sentient lifeform arrives in their camp and she's like, "ew, get this shit out of my face." Rani is like, "the planet and the race living here is literally going to die, I feel compelled to make that not happen!" And Becks responds with, "Wow! Who cares???" Can't really walk that one back with, "Oh, I guess the death of a planet and hundreds of people IS kind of bad, woops," despite the game's attempt to do just that. She also does literally none of the work, yet we're expected to see it as a partnership. This issue is fixable, but it takes a lot of rewrites and an additional cutscene or two. Have Becks leave the few feet away from the ship with Rani, the "my shoes are bad" line is despicable (in a cutscene if the game literally can't handle this character in the field from a tech perspective). Have the upgrade desk explicitly be Becks making the upgrades, from all appearances in the game, it is Rani doing it all. Have a more reasonable breaking point argument where both characters have good points, instead of one character being empathetic and heroic and the other being an absolute dirtbag.
    -So... why was this game being coy about them being lovers or what? To keep the rating down? If it's important to the writers that they are non-romantic partners, just say that. And not in an achievement that claims they are just friends, put it in the text. If they are romantic partners, hints are not good enough in today's climate. If you want to be queer friendly, own it! The comparison to Haven really hurts this game here, because that game dove very deep on what their couple life was like, whereas this game is just all wink wink, nudge nudge to the point you're not sure if they're even TRYING to imply it or not.

I'd say it's like a... 6/10? I can't even enthusiastically say it's worth playing for the price of free on Gamepass, which is frustrating. Because I like the studio, but I feel like I will forget this one in a week or two.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The Gunk was a fun little game that'll take you 6-8 hours to finish. Would like to see what they do with these characters again.

Misread this as "The Gunk was a fun little game that'll take you 6-8 hours to flush."

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Grabbed The Gunk, it's sort of mediocre? Very much linear, push through each area, minor puzzles, minor jumping, little to no "action". The character just thinks out loud what you should do, "I SHOULD STOP DOING ANYTHING BUT PUSH TO THE END OF THIS WALKWAY!" Looks like a generically competent AA game? A game? I dunno, played for a few hours and don't feel really compelled to finish it. Might give it another chance tonight, feels like a lot less compelling Mario Sunshine maybe?

The Lodoss metroidvania is also sort of janky, got wrecked by the first boss. Lots of annoying "bank an arrow off 4 steel plates to cut a rope and open a door" bits.

It reminds me of another game I played on Gamepass, but can’t remember the name of.

Stuck on an alien world, gather resources, upgrade gear.

I’m enjoying The Gunk, though - I’m in the mood for a simple, on-rails game. I like the world, and the interactions between the main characters are fun. It’s a very wholesome action game, basically.

Journey to the Savage Planet?

That was the one ! Thanks.

I gave up on it after a while - the ge was obviously designed so you come back later with more travel abilities and unlock secrets and stuff, and I wasn't enjoying it enough to go through the map twice.

I appreciate the fact the Gunk appears to be pretty linear, with tiny detours for extra resources.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    well its Day 2 and attempt number 2 at delivering my Series X. todays driver is Darren, who hopefully wont share Jason's aversion to intercoms. delivery is scheduled for 5-6 hours from now so until then its the waiting game. updates as they happen in this already thrilling story.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So, everyone else probably already knows this, but there's a big-ass digital sale going down. As I'm fairly certain my employer (the University System of Georgia) raised the yearly salary of my classification of employee by 28.6% (probably in an attempt to fight off the rampant headhunting/transferring that was going when neoliberalism doesn't know how to deal with a worker shortage :lol: ), I should probably buy some stuff to celebrate.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    well its Day 2 and attempt number 2 at delivering my Series X. todays driver is Darren, who hopefully wont share Jason's aversion to intercoms. delivery is scheduled for 5-6 hours from now so until then its the waiting game. updates as they happen in this already thrilling story.

Godspeed!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Weird. Somebody named Darren just handed me something and said 'Merry Christmas!'

Neat!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    How Darren he

• Options
    Breaking News*: Darren is down, repeat Darren is down! my Series X has been handed off to Dawid who will deliver it ~1 hour earlier than previously expected. hopefully.

*insert tense breaking news jingle here

• Options
    ITS HERE!!!!! packaging was torn up a bit and the box is a little bashed but thankfully MS packed these things in nice and tight so it looks to have been well protected. now its time to get it all set up.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    What's the first game you're booting up?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Having got the ps5 and series x Microsoft really knocked it out of the park with the packaging presentation compared to Sony I found

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

giving Destiny 2 a fresh install to really break it in. while that downloads i'm playing some Forza Motorsport 7... off an external drive...

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

giving Destiny 2 a fresh install to really break it in. while that downloads i'm playing some Forza Motorsport 7... off an external drive...

Make sure to calibrate the Series X's HDR settings before booting up D2. Bungie's HDR implementation doesn't always play nice with the system's defaults and you might end up not being able to see 3 feet in front of your guardian's face.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I got an old Xbox One from my Brother awhile back and the first thing I downloaded and booted up was Jade Empire.

I imagine if I somehow get an XSX the first thing I’ll boot up will be KotoR.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Xbox UI a continued to befuddle me.

Can you check the battery level of a connected controller/headset?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    If you hit the Xbox button to bring up the overlay it should have indicators in the upper right corner, just above the time.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

connected? i don't think so. battery displays in the upper right corner when you bring up the guide, but if your controller/headset is connected it'll just show as charging and wont give any indication of how much power is left.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    If you hit the Xbox button to bring up the overlay it should have indicators in the upper right corner, just above the time.

Thanks. In accessories, it tells me my battery level is medium. The graphic looks 75% filled. Not what I would call consistent, but it’s something. Thanks!

The headset does say full which makes sense since I just charged it.

• Options

connected? i don't think so. battery displays in the upper right corner when you bring up the guide, but if your controller/headset is connected it'll just show as charging and wont give any indication of how much power is left.

I meant on and connected wirelessly to the Xbox, not charging via wire. Sorry for the confusion.

• Options

I meant on and connected wirelessly to the Xbox, not charging via wire. Sorry for the confusion.

ah, in that case it should show in the top right corner when you open the guide or are on the dashboard.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Little light on it will go orange when it thinks it "wants a charge" otherwise there's the meter you found. No numeric measure that I'm aware of.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Little light on it will go orange when it thinks it "wants a charge" otherwise there's the meter you found. No numeric measure that I'm aware of.

The things I've paired with bluetooth on my PC show a percentage number on the appropriate section/page.

• Options
    Is that just setting your region to Argentina to claim?

• Options
    You don't have to do anything, click the link and claim

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ah, Ikaruga, the game that made me have to rethink 20+ years (and that was when it first came out) of how to play a shmup. There's still really nothing else quite like it.

The Gamecube release was also the game that gave us "our frothing demand for this game increases!"

Great game, get on it.

• Options
    I played it on an arcade machine for my bday about 2 years ago, when to Galloping Ghost Arcade which also has a lot of other classic arcade titles

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I haven’t kept many games through the moves I’ve had over the years, but GC Ikargua is one of few that’s still with me.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I got a Series X off eBay last week.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Damn.

I was not prepared for the surgical precision with which Deedlit is exactly my jam.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Ah, Ikaruga, the game that made me have to rethink 20+ years (and that was when it first came out) of how to play a shmup. There's still really nothing else quite like it.

The Gamecube release was also the game that gave us "our frothing demand for this game increases!"

Great game, get on it.

Oh my god, I remember this.

Some of us are really fucking old.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Damn.

I was not prepared for the surgical precision with which Deedlit is exactly my jam.

Yeah...it's got the claws in me deep too.

A fantastic Symphony of the Night homage with a ridiculous number of mechanics that all actually work how they are supposed to. And while some of the boss battles have been almost Dark Souls hard, none of them have felt cheap or frustrating.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You don't have to do anything, click the link and claim

"And ever since that day, my Xbox account has been permanently set to South American Spanish."

"But was it worth it?"