As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any islands or water content. I don't want to fight in From's version of the ocean, but I'm curious if there's stuff hidden out there.

Oh god. Oceans are always the scariest places in any game I can’t imagine what one would be like in this.

616610-1.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any islands or water content. I don't want to fight in From's version of the ocean, but I'm curious if there's stuff hidden out there.

Oh god. Oceans are always the scariest places in any game I can’t imagine what one would be like in this.

I don’t know what it’d look like, but I can guarantee every fucking enemy will attack you from the direction you’re not looking.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/PuCNeLoEniU

https://youtu.be/BvW4nsNI7JQ

From software and optimization.

Name a less iconic duo.

Christ performance is ropey across the board. No console has a rock solid 60fps.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/PuCNeLoEniU

https://youtu.be/BvW4nsNI7JQ

From software and optimization.

Name a less iconic duo.

Christ performance is ropey across the board. No console has a rock solid 60fps.

As long as it is not cyberpunk 2.0 I will be happy with whatever From gives me on my ancient base model PS4.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it is a vertical slice demo for a game that's still probably two months out from gold and three from launch, so i'll hold off on making any assumptions about what the top end of performance looks like

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also, the demo was probably branched a month ago (likely two or more) from the actual development version so they could do things like move assets, add the fog wall, remove the player creation screen and add some pre-done builds, and then test it fairly robustly.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

On the big map there is at least one notable island drawn on there. Whether it's used or not can't be sure but they certainly put it on there!

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Has From Soft ever had a 'water level' before Sekiro?
    I'm thinking maybe there was one in King's Field...

DanHibiki on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Has From Soft ever had a 'water level'?
    I'm thinking maybe there was one in King's Field...

There were plenty of swimming sections in Sekiro

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    If REDDIT is to be believed, story, including the final narrative bits, have been leaked. If you're going to be watching YOUTUBE videos or checking out general previews as we match to February, might want to not wade anywhere near comment sections.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »
    If REDDIT is to be believed, story, including the final narrative bits, have been leaked. If you're going to be watching YOUTUBE videos or checking out general previews as we match to February, might want to not wade anywhere near comment sections.

I find the idea that you can spoil the plot to a FromSoft Souls-Born game laughable.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I find the idea that you can spoil the plot to a FromSoft Souls-Born game laughable.

Lo and harken! For in the beginning their was King Gweldeomyr the Sophronise. From He were begotten Three Sons.

The first of the Three Sons was The Daughter, Deliphonisisilese the Junoesque. Her beauteous nature moved the Flail-Stars and thus did the Everaether Spin.

God, I am fucking spent now. I don't know how they do it.

edit- Jesus! A terrible thought crossed my mind. What would it look like if Bungie and From teamed up on something?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    edit- Jesus! A terrible thought crossed my mind. What would it look like if Bungie and From teamed up on something?

Warwick Davis voicing a floating talking ball that lazily reads out the description text for each item you pick up.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Warwick Davis voicing a floating talking ball that lazily reads out the description text for each item you pick up.

That might kill him

The impression I get is that this game will be more narrative focused than their previous efforts; also SEKIRO had a pretty good story (there was a clear past, present and so on), certainly more story than any of their other work. Also, that there are slight directions given for the player on where to go to advance the primary goal of the game (whatever that is) suggests that this will be more SEKIRO than DARK SOULS.

. . .all conjecture as I haven't gone looking for any of these threads.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I’ll take “Stupid But Awesome” for $300, Alex.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Now to use this information in pvp to hunt people!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Looks great, and I love that I still have no idea what's going on

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Looks great, and I love that I still have no idea what's going on

Elders did stupid thing, went bad, player shows up, can go kill stupid elders and become a less stupid one, hopefully.

wVEsyIc.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can't wait to discover the lore through a YouTube synopsis 2 years after I beat the game.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't wait to discover the lore through a YouTube synopsis 2 years after I beat the game.

All signs are pointing to this being less opaque and scattershot than Dark Souls when it comes to story, more like Sekiro.

ELDEN RING's code has been shattered and gameplay details (beyond the demo) are all out there. Warning to keep your heads down with the game a hair over two months away. Already wiped ELDEN RING search results from my Google history just in case YouTube et. al. get any bright ideas.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    ELDEN RING's code has been shattered and gameplay details (beyond the demo) are all out there. Warning to keep your heads down with the game a hair over two months away. Already wiped ELDEN RING search results from my Google history just in case YouTube et. al. get any bright ideas.

Ah yes, The Algorithm. The ultimate boss.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Bandai Namco's store is up again, if one wants the collectors editions for some reason.

In a completely unrelated note, I guess now i'm getting Elden Ring for PS5 because there's no pc version with the cool lady statue for some reason.

bb7p8q3lmvj6.png

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    bb7p8q3lmvj6.png

Apparently they found an easy and undetectable way to hack any PS4 on less than the most current firmware. So that's going to haunt Sony for awhile.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    been playing ds2 recently because stuck in room over christmas w/ covid and i havent played it since it came out and its striking to me how much of it is better than ds1, while overall as a package just feeling profoundly undercooked even as sotfs + dlc. repeating textures, empty levels, areas that are a terrible gimmick and should never have been put in (black gulch...)

the sluggish movement and attacks even by ds standards also hurt it a lot. but so many mechanical improvements... certainly buildwise. another fromsoft game that would be improved by making the input buffer about 30% of what it is by default as well (why do they do this, its so bad)

obF2Wuw.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Their love affair with super strong input buffering is maddening. It drove me nuts in sekiro and it's a decent part of why I haven't dealt with the final two bosses

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I like Dark Souls 2 overall, but between the bad controls and the abundance of cheap gotchas and gimmicky encounters, I spend at least an hour of any playthrough loathing it.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    deaths to enemies/bosses: 1
    deaths to fall damage: 420

"ehhh i probably dont need cat ring for this one"

"fuk"

the true enemy was the character controller all along

EDIT: pit full of green fog? should be fine i got a lotta green moss

> falls to death

fuk

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    There's apparently the remnants of bones of a more coherent world layout buried in leftover files of DS2 that all presumably got massively cut for time. Black gulch was originally going to be a more aesthetically interestingly and expansive sewer town underneath Lothric Castle where the dwarf-ish guys lived, for example, rather than just "blighttown but it's dark"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    There's apparently the remnants of bones of a more coherent world layout buried in leftover files of DS2 that all presumably got massively cut for time. Black gulch was originally going to be a more aesthetically interestingly and expansive sewer town underneath Lothric Castle where the dwarf-ish guys lived, for example, rather than just "blighttown but it's dark"

Anything would have been better than a dark stage. I can live with it sometimes but mostly it feels cheap. Maybe people will be able to do something interesting with it in HDR but odds are I'm still gonna hate them.

danx wrote: »

Anything would have been better than a dark stage. I can live with it sometimes but mostly it feels cheap. Maybe people will be able to do something interesting with it in HDR but odds are I'm still gonna hate them.

While I liked the fact that Black Gulch is essentially a rave in Drangleic, with the pulsing bass sound and glowy aesthetic, if you're gonna go dark at least have it be thematically interesting.

The Abyss in DS1 and Untended Graves in DS3 = Cool.

Tomb of the Giants = Go fuck off and die.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I loved Bloodborne lore, but couldn't get into Dark Souls lore. I think it was the Lovecraft factor.

How's Elden Ring look, Lovecraftian-wise? Eldritch? Not eldritch enough?

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I loved Bloodborne lore, but couldn't get into Dark Souls lore. I think it was the Lovecraft factor.

How's Elden Ring look, Lovecraftian-wise? Eldritch? Not eldritch enough?

Not lovecraftian. Im actually not sure how to describe the stuff, dark high-fantasy Norse?

The more I see of it the more Im able to separate it from Dark Souls.

Honestly @Golden Yak I dont think we know enough about ER yet to say. Like early bloodborne was much more heavier on the "Whoops, creepy werewolves and beasts" and then suckerpunched you with "SURPRISE CTHULU" later. So plenty of room for Elden Ring to drop the "Behold! Tentacles" on us.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    A buddy of mine bought me DS3 because he was set on me playing it before Elden Ring came out, so I have been playing it for the last few days in prep for it.

DS3 is pretty good, and I am even more hype for Elden Ring now. Feb can't get here fast enough!

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

This discussion has been closed.