As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is science badass? The data is positive.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I sensed that someone was posting about nuclear energy and felt compelled to also post.

msuitepyon I thought you were becoming a mechanic or something

edit
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    So I have a very stupid question. What is the difference between science and engineering, in the sense that there are chemists and chemical engineers, or computer scientists and computer engineers?

engineers actually do work instead of begging for research grants all day

I kind of grew out of that. I was feeling a little depressed after my poor showing grade-wise.

abloobloobloo

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ah, I feel ya

my grades are pretty horrible and getting an internship is gonna be hard and blah blah blah I just want to graduate

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    daft-punk-harder-better-faster-stro.jpg
    SCIEEEEEEEEEEEENCE!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ah, I feel ya

my grades are pretty horrible and getting an internship is gonna be hard and blah blah blah I just want to graduate

srsly

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OytHzZ72Y

Super Quantum Mario World

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    they made a see through fish to help cancer research

http://www.livescience.com/animals/080206-see-thru-fish.html

which is both disgusting and awesome
    080206-seethru-fish-02.jpg

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    Oooh, ooh! I can answer the nuclear energy question. Nuclear engineering degree, away!

Anyway, in conventional fission, you have neutrons colliding with nuclear fuel, Uranium-238 enriched with Uranium-235. When the neutron strikes the fuel atoms, they combine creating an unstable atom. Shortly (and really shortly, on the order of 10^-12 seconds), the atom splits releasing energy, neutrons, and fission fragments. The energy comes from Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity (E = MC^2). Simply put, the mass of the neutron and U-235/238 is greater than the mass of the fission products and neutrons. The difference in mass is released in the form of energy.

Yes I understand all that, and that there is a difference between the starting mass and the mass at the end, and that difference is the amount of energy released from e=mc^2, but what actual particles get turned into energy?

L|ama on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Oooh, ooh! I can answer the nuclear energy question. Nuclear engineering degree, away!

Anyway, in conventional fission, you have neutrons colliding with nuclear fuel, Uranium-238 enriched with Uranium-235. When the neutron strikes the fuel atoms, they combine creating an unstable atom. Shortly (and really shortly, on the order of 10^-12 seconds), the atom splits releasing energy, neutrons, and fission fragments. The energy comes from Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity (E = MC^2). Simply put, the mass of the neutron and U-235/238 is greater than the mass of the fission products and neutrons. The difference in mass is released in the form of energy.

Yes I understand all that, and that there is a difference between the starting mass and the mass at the end, and that difference is the amount of energy released from e=mc^2, but what actual particles get turned into energy?

Isn't that kind of like asking where the electron is. As in we don't know.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hunter wrote: »
    I sensed that someone was posting about nuclear energy and felt compelled to also post.

msuitepyon I thought you were becoming a mechanic or something

edit
    So I have a very stupid question. What is the difference between science and engineering, in the sense that there are chemists and chemical engineers, or computer scientists and computer engineers?

engineers actually do work instead of begging for research grants all day

Engineers do work?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

man i cant wait to graduate now

tugga on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Doodmann wrote: »

I have another stupid question;

What exactly is gravity? Is it a force that bends space, or is it waves, or.... what?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

Jesus christ, it's like a tidal wave of Italian Plumbers.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »

Jesus christ, it's like a tidal wave of Italian Plumbers.

The similar thing done in Trackmania is a work of art. Someone find it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought this was a Teefs thread.

edit: I fucking love thermite.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

See now this I can live with, but it just being not mentioned anywhere is annoying.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

See now this I can live with, but it just being not mentioned anywhere is annoying.

Actually, we do know. Sorry I didn't mention it.

A good source of isotopic masses in atomic mass units (amu) is Wikipedia (just search for "isotopes of ____"). Using my previous example, assuming Xenon-140 and Strontium-94 to be the fission fragments with 2 neutrons produced:

n + U-235 -> Xe-140 + Sr-94 + 2n

n = 1.008665 amu
    U-235 = 235.0439231 amu
    Xe-140 = 139.92164 amu
    Sr-94 = 93.915361 amu

So...

235.0439231 + 1.00865 - (139.92164 + 93.915361 + 2*1.00865) = 0.1982721 amu

Given there are 931.5 MeV/amu, the total energy released from one fission is ~184.7 MeV.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

I have another stupid question;

What exactly is gravity? Is it a force that bends space, or is it waves, or.... what?

We don't actually know this one. Einstein said that gravity is a side-effect of the distortion of space-time by matter, but quantum physics requires there to be some kind of mediator particle (the graviton). Quantum mechanics has explained away all the other fundamental forces (electromagnetism, and the strong and weak forces) but not yet gravity.

One of the problems here is that while General Relativity is really good at describing gravity on a large scale, it's not very good on a quantum scale. However, the graviton has so far eluded discovery by even the brainiest of scientists. That, and the two theories are fundamentally incompatible.

bongi on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

A good source of isotopic masses in atomic mass units (amu) is Wikipedia (just search for "isotopes of ____"). Using my previous example, assuming Xenon-140 and Strontium-94 to be the fission fragments with 2 neutrons produced:

n = 1.008665 amu
    U-235 = 235.0439231 amu
    Xe-140 = 139.92164 amu
    Sr-94 = 93.915361 amu

So...

Given there are 931.5 MeV/amu, the total energy released from one fission is ~184.7 MeV.

So you see, no particles are turned into energy. The amount of elementary particles before and after the fission is the same. The energy that is released is the energy that binds these particles together. As far as I know, anyway.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

n = 1.008665 amu
    U-235 = 235.0439231 amu
    Xe-140 = 139.92164 amu
    Sr-94 = 93.915361 amu

So...

So you see, no particles are turned into energy. The amount of elementary particles before and after the fission is the same. The energy that is released is the energy that binds these particles together. As far as I know, anyway.

Quite correct.

Imagine two pieces of velcro stuck together. When you tear them apart you get the audible ripping noise. In terms of fission, you are the neutron, the velcro is the target nucleus (comprised of the two pieces of velcro), and the noise is energy.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That wireless energy transmission discovery was actually partially inspired by Tesla and many of the things they discovered are believed to have been put into use by Tesla himself and not reproduced until now.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    garicgaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

n = 1.008665 amu
    U-235 = 235.0439231 amu
    Xe-140 = 139.92164 amu
    Sr-94 = 93.915361 amu

So...

Quite correct.

Imagine two pieces of velcro stuck together. When you tear them apart you get the audible ripping noise. In terms of fission, you are the neutron, the velcro is the target nucleus (comprised of the two pieces of velcro), and the noise is energy.

we all now that is cool and that but anti matter is where its at, thats where E=mc^2 comes more in handy as anniahlation cause's the matter to be converted directly into energy, for example assuming the rest mass of a proton is 1.67 × 10−27, then to anniahlate a proton it would produce:
    2x(1.67× 10−27 )x3x10^8=1.002x10^-18 Joules ,

which doesnt sound like a lot but one mole of protons which is about 6x10^23 of them plus the other mole of anti protons would produce 6x10^-5 J and thats not even a whole gram

, CERN has calculated on their website that only Half a gram of matter anniahlating is equal to the bomb dropped on heroshima
    (spelling?)

garic on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    this is gay

let's talk about dinosaurs eating other dinosaurs

35871_med.jpg

or better yet

dinosaurs wrecking people's shit

Miscellaneous-DinosaursAttack-PanicintheStadium.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    yeah real science sucks lets talk about shit like techno-lasers and dyson spheres

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scientists are trying to clone a dinosaur.

Like, as we talk about how they could wreck our shit.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did you know that the Velociraptors depicted in Jurassic Park are actually the size of Deinonychus? Velociraptors were much smaller.

And as everyone knows now, they all had feathers!

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Like feathered dogs

that will fuck your shit up

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Blue Brain experiment emulated a portion of a rats brain very well.

Skynet?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    why don't you leave your dinosaur based antics to the dinosaur based antics thread

bongi on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    why don't you leave your dinosaur based antics to the dinosaur based antics thread
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.
    Rank creates dinosaur thread.
    God kills dinosaur thread.

Science thread inherits the dinosaur thread.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, Dinosaur away then.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Happy Darwin Day to all. Abe Lincoln was also born today and he did some stuff, I guess. But today lets give it up for the father of evolution.

Marathon on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the same day?

That's pretty rad.

sarukun on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

dinosaurs aren't science though because satan put them here to test our faith

bongi on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuck, that rules so God damned hard.

sarukun on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

When I'm riding bionic dinosaurs with laser cannons mounted to them, I'll find you first.

Hunter on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

When I'm riding bionic dinosaurs with laser cannons mounted to them, I'll find you first.

only if you find a way to break out of rankenphile's wet dream while you're at it

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

only if you find a way to break out of rankenphile's wet dream while you're at it

The power of Rank's wet dream and my scientific acumen will clone dinosaurs, fit them with bionics, produce laser weaponry that is efficient and deadly, and lead to world subjugation. All hail your bionic dinosaur riding overlords.

Hunter on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

The power of Rank's wet dream and my scientific acumen will clone dinosaurs, fit them with bionics, produce laser weaponry that is efficient and deadly, and lead to world subjugation. All hail your bionic dinosaur riding overlords.

except that the dinosaurs would be scuppered by the dramatically different climate and probably wouldn't survive

mammals win again!

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

except that the dinosaurs would be scuppered by the dramatically different climate and probably wouldn't survive

mammals win again!

Except that there are clearly living reptiles today that I could study and figure out how they survived, and copy those genes into my bionic dinosaurs. If that fails, I could also adapt mammalian DNA and have hairy dinosaurs with bionics and lasers attached to them.

Check.

Hunter on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    God creates dinosaurs.
    God kills dinosaurs.
    God creates Rank.

mammals win again!

Except that there are clearly living reptiles today that I could study and figure out how they survived, and copy those genes into my bionic dinosaurs. If that fails, I could also adapt mammalian DNA and have hairy dinosaurs with bionics and lasers attached to them.

Check.

except that hairy dinosaurs would die from embarassment from being laughed at so hard by all the other animals

bongi on