As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart Wii in Famitsu this week - scans, info

• shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Which reminds me, I still need to pick up Mario Kart DS. It's still fun even if you have no desire to get on Wifi against snaking bastards, right? I just heard the awesome rendition of Waluigi Pinball in Smash Bros. Brawl, and now I'm curious.

Mario Kart DS is absolutely spectacular.

I have never once played over WiFi. Nor have I ever snaked.

It really is a fantastic game. I'll probably wait for the reviews on this one. I'm not 100% sold on this wheel thing.

shyguy on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mario Kart is really one of the easiest games to master. It's not like you need to go on line and learn any advanced techniques to get good (unless you insist on snaking, but only people determined to not have fun do that). Just keep playing it, and it'll click.

Re snaking: Is DS the only Mario Kart game where snaking was possible, or has this been a Mario Kart problem for a while and it's only become well known because of the online play?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hated Baby Park until I came to love Baby Park, and now I don't want to live in a world that doesn't have Baby Park.

This will be a definite buy for me, but I'm really anxious over how online is going to be treated, not only from Friend Codes but also from snaking. In my heart of hearts I desperately wish there would be a way to search for matches that somehow disable snaking, because this would increase my use of the online tenfold. As it is, I went from playing Mario Kart DS online all the time to completely losing interest in about three weeks.

I hope Nintendo takes cues from how Mario Strikers Charged handled its online (letting you see players online, setting up matches, etc.), but as-is I'm going to buy it solely for an offline experience and consider any online play as gravy. Hell, it can't be worse than the "throw spaghetti at the wall and see if it sticks" approach to MKDS's online!
    shyguy wrote:
    Mario Kart DS is absolutely spectacular.

I have never once played over WiFi. Nor have I ever snaked.

It really is a fantastic game. I'll probably wait for the reviews on this one. I'm not 100% sold on this wheel thing.

MKDS is still excellent, even if you never touch online or only play with non-snaking friends. Probably my favorite in the series, even eclipsing the SNES version.
    Re snaking: Is DS the only Mario Kart game where snaking was possible, or has this been a Mario Kart problem for a while and it's only become well known because of the online play?

The latter, apparently, although it's hella prominent in the DS version. It's definitely not an oversight, as even the developer shadows use snaking to score the best times.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So snaking is in the game on purpose?! What the fuck. It totally ruined the large amount of fun I was having with Mario Kart DS. It was so great online for the first week or so, but before long, you couldn't find a match without a snaker.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Worst case scenario we can hold private matches where snaking is strictly forbidden

vdanhalenv on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to go ahead and speculate that snaking isn't going to be quite as broken as it was in MKDS. It existed in Double Dash, too, but it was really too difficult to do for too little advantage. With any luck, it'll be a similar situation here.

I don't mind snaking either way, but it really makes for a very different game. It's no fun to snake against someone who doesn't, though. That's just retarded.

mntorankusu on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to go ahead and speculate that snaking isn't going to be quite as broken as it was in MKDS. It existed in Double Dash, too, but it was really too difficult to do for too little advantage. With any luck, it'll be a similar situation here.

I don't mind snaking either way, but it really makes for a very different game. It's no fun to snake against someone who doesn't, though. That's just retarded.

only reason it was so good in the DS version was because of how big of a boost the mini-turbos gave you. It is still useful in 64 and Double Dash, but not nearly as powerful where you lap someone twice easily.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Only 16 tracks and half of them aren't even new?

That can't be right.

It's not.

16 new tracks, 16 returning.

Which reminds me, I still need to pick up Mario Kart DS. It's still fun even if you have no desire to get on Wifi against snaking bastards, right? I just heard the awesome rendition of Waluigi Pinball in Smash Bros. Brawl, and now I'm curious.

If you count all the tracks listed, it comes to 16. 8 old, 8 new.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That can't be right.

It's not.

As elkatas said before, the tracks listed don't show the Star and Special Cup, which Mario Kart games always have. Also, the latest issue of Famitsu is saying 32 tracks will be in the game.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This post confirms my suspicion that Japanese magazines are laid-out by blind, dyslexic, colorblind mole-people on acid.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thing I learned from the Scans:

Japenese magazines have a mildly offputing love for the color pink.
    Motorcycles.
    Ugly Ugly Miis.
    and
    Peach drives a baby carriage?

Sueve on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Snaking with a wheel will look like a russian whore doing double handies.

Sueve on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »

only reason it was so good in the DS version was because of how big of a boost the mini-turbos gave you. It is still useful in 64 and Double Dash, but not nearly as powerful where you lap someone twice easily.

Right. Snaking in MKDS basically made mushrooms obsolete.

mntorankusu on
    edited February 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    Thing I learned from the Scans:

Peach drives a baby carriage?

It could be Baby Peach. That would make a bit more sense.

MetaHybrid on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

That can't be right.

It's not.

That isn't all the tracks.

Fencingsax on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As an insane Super MarioKart fanatic, I am dissapointed.

I'd have much rather had 30 all new tracks. If they wanted to put some old gems in after that then fine. I just have a hard time getting pumped for the same goddam tracks over again.

It's too premature to start speculating though. And Baby Park isn't a track, it a fucking oval.

earthwormadam on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And Baby Park isn't a track, it a fucking WAY OF LIFE.

Fixed it for you. May the streets flow with the blood of the non-believers.

minor incident on
    edited February 2008
    As an insane Super MarioKart fanatic, I am dissapointed.

I'd have much rather had 30 all new tracks. If they wanted to put some old gems in after that then fine. I just have a hard time getting pumped for the same goddam tracks over again.

It's too premature to start speculating though. And Baby Park isn't a track, it a fucking oval.

I don't understand how 16 new and 16 old is disappointing. It has been the case for nearly every game in the series, to have 16 new courses.

It's not those 16 classic courses are being put in in place of new ones. They're there as extras.

mntorankusu on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That can't be right.

It's not.

How do we know this?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Metahybrid wrote:
    As elkatas said before, the tracks listed don't show the Star and Special Cup, which Mario Kart games always have. Also, the latest issue of Famitsu is saying 32 tracks will be in the game.

Not to mention the lack of Rainbow Road on the list.

MetaHybrid on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, I wonder why nobody's mentioned the 10 battle stages noted in the lower left of the second scan. I hope they bring Block Fort back again.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Am I seeing this shit right? Worldwide netplay? Japan vs. America? Everyone vs. Everyone?

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder why nobody's mentioned the 10 battle stages noted in the lower left of the second scan. I hope they bring Block Fort back again.

Am I the only one who hated Block Fort? It is decent with 4 players, but I feel like the vertical combat is more suited to an FPS than mario kart. I much preferred Skyscraper, a much faster paced battle and map.

TelMarine on
  • CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Am I seeing this shit right? Worldwide netplay? Japan vs. America? Everyone vs. Everyone?

Wasn't that in the DS version as well? Is it really such a big deal?

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Theorem: Baby Park Sucks

Proof:
    Fact: Baby Park is a fucking Nascar oval.
    Fact: Nascar is a shitty redneck sport.
    Conclusion: Baby Park is a shitty redneck track.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum, bitches.

Rigor Mortis on
    edited February 2008

Theorem: Baby Park Sucks

Proof:
    Fact: Baby Park is a fucking Nascar oval.
    Fact: Nascar is a shitty redneck sport.
    Conclusion: Baby Park is a shitty redneck track.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum, bitches.

FACT: Baby Park is the only course that will allow you to be a full lap and a half ahead of your nearest competitor, get hit by a blue shell, and come in last. The inverse is also true with last place + Bullet Bill/Star.

FACT: This makes for some of the greatest, most chaotic races ever.

FACT: If one can't handle the heat, it is recommended that one get out of the kitchen.

CONCLUSION: Baby Park is the third best track in the game behind, of course, Rainbow Road and Cheep Cheep Beach.

minor incident on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The horrid, horrid snaking in MKDS has left me really apprehensive about this game. This is going to be one of the rare times where I'm going to wait for post-release impressions before deciding on a purchase.

If it wasn't for snaking, though, I'd be all over this shit. I mean come on, there's bikes!

Squirrel Rancher on
    edited February 2008
    FACT: Baby Park is the only course that will allow you to be a full lap and a half ahead of your nearest competitor, get hit by a blue shell, and come in last. The inverse is also true with last place + Bullet Bill/Star.

FACT: If one can't handle the heat, it is recommended that one get out of the kitchen.

CONCLUSION: Baby Park is the third best track in the game behind, of course, Rainbow Road and Cheep Cheep Beach.
    ...and thus didst skill die as the determining factor du jour. And this death did bring in his wake randomness, and randomness didst bring boringness, and boringness didst murder the desire to play further most violently. Here endeth the tragedy of Marius Kartus and the ruination thereof most foul.

Rigor Mortis on
    edited February 2008

...and thus didst skill die as the determining factor du jour. And this death did bring in his wake randomness, and randomness didst bring boringness, and boringness didst murder the desire to play further most violently. Here endeth the tragedy of Marius Kartus and the ruination thereof most foul.

When you play with the same 7 guys daily, a bit of randomness adds an indescribable amount of enjoyment to the game. It's not like you don't know who's better than who after months of playing. Not every course needs to be like this, but it's kind of thrilling to see utter chaos erupt on a few tracks.

minor incident on
    edited February 2008

well mario kart isn't too skillful. Although, they have made it much more balanced since 64 (which was retarded since you could get 3 red-shells and lightning in SECOND place, come on), but I still think they need to make the blue shell based on distance. Especially if you like doing a 1on1 race, once the person in second place gets a blue shell they just wait till the proper moment on the last lap, use it, and the other player is fucked. Yet baby park is a pretty shitty course imo, I vastly prefer all the other levels. It has an interesting aspect where you can throw green shells over the middle hump to get other racers, but other than that, it is just a clusterfuck spamfest with maneuvering being nigh impossible since you get really so many items placed and thrown around, you can hardly keep driving. Add to the fact that it is an extremely short oval that is pretty lame outside of trying to take the sweetest turn possible on time trial mode.

TelMarine on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    SFC Ghost Swamp 2

SFC = Super Famicom..... Ghost Swamp 2 = Ghost House 2.

FUCKING AWESOME

It seems that the classic courses chosen are different to the classics from DS so far, so I'd rate the chances of a recurring baby park as low.

I'd love a super secret rainbow road cup, with all the good old rainbow roads leading up to whatever new evil they chose to inflict on us.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • CrunchyKellsCrunchyKells Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That can't be right.

It's not.

How do we know this?

This question has been answered several times already.

Star/Special Cup courses are not listed.

CrunchyKells on
    TheKells38459729.jpg
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

How do we know this?

This question has been answered several times already.

Star/Special Cup courses are not listed.

And famitsu and several other sources list 32 as the total number of courses.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    When you play with the same 7 guys daily, a bit of randomness adds an indescribable amount of enjoyment to the game. It's not like you don't know who's better than who after months of playing. Not every course needs to be like this, but it's kind of thrilling to see utter chaos erupt on a few tracks.
    You've got a pretty cool group of friends, man. MK randomness causes interminable whining among mine. They'd seem to rather come in last than feel as if their fate was out of their hands.

Rigor Mortis on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This looks pretty neat. Not really pushing the bounds of anything, but it's a new Mario Kart game, and it looks like it has excellent multiplayer, so there's not too much you could ask for.

But if they could implement a track builder, that would be more than awesome.

Also, has a NA release date been announced yet?

0blique on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    0blique wrote: »
    Also, has a NA release date been announced yet?

Not officially, but late April date has been flying around various retailers.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, that new giant condom is going to be a pain in the ass to remove to jam the wiimote into the wheel.......... (does anyone actually use them? I havent been and didnt try to get them)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's annoying when using the GH guitar already. Sometimes I just play GH instead of whatever else I might have wanted to play because I don't feel like taking the remote out of the shell and putting its jacket back on.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    You know, that new giant condom is going to be a pain in the ass to remove to jam the wiimote into the wheel.......... (does anyone actually use them? I havent been and didnt try to get them)
    I don't use them for exactly that reason.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • txttxt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »

they better have block fort in there.

txt on
    lostsig.gif