As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Archery Thread: Post

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2022 in Social Entropy++
DouglasDanger if you make the archery thread in SE++ it should be Archery: Post Hole(s)

Archery is a lot of fun, let's talk about it.

This person is very kind and knowledgeable.

https://youtu.be/CWIfDZ-CyNA

https://youtu.be/TgaVwOP1WAQ

DouglasDanger on

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Archery is a lot of fun!

Everyone should shoot bows. They can be compound bows, recurve bows, longbows, stickbows, shortbows, paddle bows, etc.

Then you can get into the really weird shit I love, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8dOzljJncQ&

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtFmdRFMHEk

are YOU on the beer list?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hawkeye you shoot traditional. What's your aiming style. Just natural? String Walking? something else?

How do you deal with the archers paradox?

edited January 2022
    This is me six years ago getting into Archery the year before because Arrow is a great fucking TV show

oWTJbhD.jpg

KepsbFZ.jpg

FQOmmHN.jpg

The older guy is a retired Army Sarge who can make Flemish Twist bowstrings like no ones business.

Also posting Hole(s) as per requirements (resized, sorry)

1qt4r6cafpg6.jpg

amateurhour on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Here's a picture of me shooting my longbow. I usually aim using the tip of my arrow, and am fairly accurate out to 25 meters or so. For shots closer than 15 meters, I seem to do better with instinctively aiming.

5yinetk0pald.jpg

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    pyfEfBmh.jpg

heck yeah

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I've never even held a bow

But I want to try one

Might maybe this spring sometime

Tallahasseeriel on
    I've never even held a bow

But I want to try one

Might maybe this spring sometime

That brings up a good point!

Say you want to get into Archery, how do you start?

Well, the first thing you're going to want to do is work on form, and for that you need a bow that will fling arrows but isn't crazy heavy.

I recommend this

https://www.amazon.com/Southland-Archery-Supply-Snake-Recurve/dp/B01M1KNSXX/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B01M1KNSXX&psc=1

It used to be called the PSE Snake, but I think SAS is the only company making it now. It's a composite plastic bow that you can dry fire, bang into trees, and not break in the process.

You're also going to need arrows and this is typically the most costly endeavor as you're going to lose them too.

I recommend if you're starting with the SAS bow, getting feather fletched (not plastic veined) arrows with a lot of spine flexibility. You can get these for about $8-$10 a piece if you order a dozen

You're also going to need a wrist guard and shooting glove or tab, but we'll get into that later.

I do have a friend who owns and knows how to operate a bow but he's got a ruptured muscle head on his left arm so he won't really be able to demonstrate the form for me

I wonder if he's got arrows too because I bet a could swing that bow soon bit it would be nice to be able to borrow some arrows while he shows me the way around it

Also he lives across the street from a place that has an archery range I believe.

@Tallahasseeriel Oh nice, like an archery shop?

Here's a few um holes for @amateurhour 440y0zbln1tz.jpg

o6dnfmfekcs4.jpg

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd love to make bows and arrows

seems like it'd be fun

@DouglasDanger It's more of a general outdoors store really, they do guns and stuff too which I'm not really interested in but I believe they have a range with times set aside for archery and stuff.

Yeah me too! You can buy bow staves at various levels of completion, but I don't want to do attempt it without some guidance.

I'm intrigued by these
    https://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/primitives/primitive-bows/bow-building-kits

Clay Hayes has a YouTube channel which has several bow building playlists, but he also films his hunts, just a warning

https://youtu.be/8CpOJyDZJvE

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I fire bows wrong. I grab the knock of the arrow between my thumb and forefinger and pull that way. I find it keeps me from rolling my fingers off the string and screwing with my aim.

I'm so sorry.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    moar liek shadowmisfire!

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I've never fired a bow in my life.

But I would be baller at it.

I can just tell.

How hard could it be.

RT800 wrote: »

I can just tell.

How hard could it be.

I can't wait to see your forearm after the first fire.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

I can just tell.

How hard could it be.

I can't wait to see your forearm after the first fire.

I wasn't using that anyway

edited January 2022
    It sucks slapping an arrow string on your forearm, it's the second worst thing that can happen to you with a bow.

amateurhour on
    I'm pretty sure there are several techniques or shooting styles they involve pinching the arrow onto the string throughout the draw. If you can make it work, by all means go for it!

• useruser Registered User regular
    So I wanna get into Archery, I found out the local park has 2 ranges, and the day use fee is $2. Or $19 for a month. Assuming I can't find a class, what's a good way to determine my draw length?

I'm pretty sure there are several techniques or shooting styles they involve pinching the arrow onto the string throughout the draw. If you can make it work, by all means go for it!

My guess is it's terrible for my tendons just by the way it feels in my arm, but wrapping my fingers around the string also felt weird to me. I use a 60# recurve normally which is fun, and also probably contributes to the weirdness.

I really need to get out and shoot again.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I used to do competitive compound shooting. I was never great, but it was a lot of fun! it helped that I worked for a major bow manufacturer so I got access to a lot of cool shit and a lot of people to show me the ropes. It's amazing the technology employed to get more consistent shots, faster, quieter and smoother. When I left 10 years ago our flagship bow could shoot a broadhead 350fps without almost any hand shot and damn near silently, and had such a smooth draw you could do it over and over again. I should check out what the latest and greatest is these days.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    user wrote: »
    So I wanna get into Archery, I found out the local park has 2 ranges, and the day use fee is $2. Or $19 for a month. Assuming I can't find a class, what's a good way to determine my draw length?

Do you own a bow?

Do you own a bow?

Not yet! I'm going to go to the archery store in the next few days to see about holding and trying some recurve takedowns.

Do you own a bow?

Not yet! I'm going to go to the archery store in the next few days to see about holding and trying some recurve takedowns.

If you're going to a halfway decent shop, they will get you all set up, and may even offer lessons!

Do you own a bow?

If you're going to a halfway decent shop, they will get you all set up, and may even offer lessons!

Yeah if you go to an archery store they'll measure your draw length and help you get arrows to match. Even Bass Pro can typically do this.

I'm going to sign up for an archery class that starts the 22nd, but meanwhile I've been trying to learn what I can.

I'm partially leaning towards barebow style archery -- instinctive shooting. Mostly because I like that its a bit less formal, but still has a spectrum of skill and participants between casual and serious.

I think if I really like the class, I'ma get a riser that supports the hot-swap limbs standard.

I'm going to sign up for an archery class that starts the 22nd, but meanwhile I've been trying to learn what I can.

I'm partially leaning towards barebow style archery -- instinctive shooting. Mostly because I like that its a bit less formal, but still has a spectrum of skill and participants between casual and serious.

I think if I really like the class, I'ma get a riser that supports the hot-swap limbs standard.

Awesome!

I shot with an instinctive aim for a few years. It really, really benefits from consistent form and lots of practice, like pitching strikes with a baseball or softball, or shooting baskets with a basketball, or any sport really, I guess

There are a number of takedown bows/ risers. The most common globally is ILF.

https://youtu.be/XXdVr0sGzLQ

I am fond of wood bows. I wish I had been aware of wooden risers with ilf brackets when I was bow shopping. You can invest in a nice riser, and change limbs, either for more draw weight or for aesthetic reasons.

"Barebow" has a couple meanings depending on how deep you get into archery. One meaning is no sights, which encompasses almost all of single string archery. The other is a competition class that is very similar to Olympic recurve. I could post links and elaborate on that if is interested.

Yeah that's a bit confusing how there's a few different takes on barebow. Like I guess a plunger is accepted, and weights for steadiness -- but is a clicker okay? Does it practically just mean no sight and no stabilizer bars? That's what I sorta grasped after reading up on it a bunch.

Yeah that's something we can dig into later is the different archery clubs out there, like ASA and IBO (my old archery club regularly hosted the IBO Traditional World shoot, which is between 700-1000 people (usually 600 or so competing)

Both have different scoring guidelines and some minor differences in terms of regulation, but they're almost identical in terms of archery categories.

Also if you find a local archery club that has open ASA/IBO shoots, most of them you can usually shoot the course for fun for about $10-$15 and not have to worry about scoring and all that if you just want to experience it.

Also there's half a foot of snow on the ground right now in Middle Tennessee and I am looking at my bow and arrows thinking I could bag dinner since I can actually see all the fucking deer in my backyard now. (I live in the woods)

edited January 2022
    I would suggest you try several things out before investing too much time or money into a specific niche. There various risers that can be hunting and competition risers too, especially the ILF verity

Barebow the uh competition/ equipment category is a bit confusing to me too

(I mostly shoot recreationally with my hunting setup, but I would love to try barebow)

https://archery360.com/2020/07/15/how-to-get-started-in-barebow-archery/

https://worldarchery.sport/news/145653/5-things-you-should-know-about-barebow

https://www.outdoorlife.com/opinion/barebow-shooters-are-the-fun-loving-outcasts-of-competitive-archery-but-our-ranks-are-growing/

Pennsylvania, my home state, has a pretty big barebow scene from what I understand. Some of the top shooters in the country at least, maybe the world, are from nearby, although I haven't met any of them. The guy with the purple bow in that one video, John Demmer, is an absolute legend, and is from northeastern Pennsylvania

Olympic silver medalist Jake Kaminski, not from PA, recently switched to barebow

https://youtube.com/c/JakeKaminskiArchery

I could keep going if I'm not overwhelming

DouglasDanger on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Going to pick up a “new” compound bow this year. I really want to get back into the sport.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, I'm considering bucking the trend suggesting a larger riser since I don't want to just target shoot, partially I have aspirations to do hunting or even 3D archery.

I'm thinking of going for a 19" or 21" riser. But I'm waiting until I finish the beginner classes before I fixate on any one particular model.

user on
    Yeah, I'm considering bucking the trend suggesting a larger riser since I don't want to just target shoot, partially I have aspirations to do hunting or even 3D archery.

I'm thinking of going for a 19" or 21" riser. But I'm waiting until I finish the beginner classes before I fixate on any one particular model.

Definitely treat drive some bows if you can

But

This riser is very well-regarded

https://lancasterarchery.com/products/win-win-black-elk-21-ilf-recurve-riser-black

If I wasn't such a sucker for wooden bows, I would sell my current bow and buy one of those

Don't get me wrong, probably 90% of archery in the world cannot outshoot a much cheaper combo

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of a place in NYC/NJ that has a shooting area? I know I went to a sports store in NC that had a room set up for it, but I haven’t seen anything like it anywhere else

Mim wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a place in NYC/NJ that has a shooting area? I know I went to a sports store in NC that had a room set up for it, but I haven’t seen anything like it anywhere else

This can be helpful

https://www.usarchery.org/find-a-club

Doug I just realized you are up in the Penn. area.

Have you ever been to that HUGE classic archery shoot on the old ski slope? I think it's the biggest trad shoot in the US, I'm pretty sure ours in TN is second.

Doug I just realized you are up in the Penn. area.

Have you ever been to that HUGE classic archery shoot on the old ski slope? I think it's the biggest trad shoot in the US, I'm pretty sure ours in TN is second.

Yessir, I went to the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous this past summer, when everyone thought everything was fine if you were vaxxed and outside

It was incredible and thankfully I didn't get Covid or bring it home

I finally met some online archery acquaintances in person. Met a lot of great people, probably learned more in two? Three? I cannot remember days than I had learned in four years

What is the name of the one in Tennessee?

I completed the one day Archery class yesterday and I pretty much knew from the first shot that I'd love to really get into the hobby. So far I have one more one day class booked (this time with a gang of friends) and I already went ahead and booked a 5 Saturday series course in intermediate Archery starting in March.

I'd very much like to have my own bow ready to go by then. But I still have to figure out some crucial details like, what my draw-length is to help me figure out my total amo bow height and also what weight to get on my limbs.

On draw length, just doin the wingspan thing / 2.5 gets me 27". But I want to get a good measurement that's actually taking it in practice at full draw.

At the class I was shooting 28# limbs pretty comfortably. And I wonder if I can't shoot for something like 32-34# in the limbs I buy for myself and use the tiller bolts to adjust em down a bit to begin with.

That's great news, @user

I'm far from an expert, but my advice would be to shoot the lightest draw weight you can, for what you want to do with it. I've heard that a lot in various archery podcasts and YouTube videos from various people, including Olympians and certified coaches. Higher weight bows can force your body into what feels like good alignment and form, but is more than likely not

I'm pretty sure I'm "over bowed" with my hunting bow, but I can get back into shape in a few months of regular shooting.

I would sell it via Facebook groups if shipping a one piece bow wasn't so expensive and buy a three piece bow with some lighter limbs