As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You can Chromecast it over, but if the computer is nearby a cable is really the best option.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    TV just plugged in HDMI as your computer monitor is what works best.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    TV's coming tomorrow, so I have two probably silly questions. 1) to play the vidya on it via PC, I could use the steam app via wifi or just hook a hdmi cable up. Cable is probably the superior option, right?
    and 2), that ties kinda into the first question, streaming video to the tv from the pc - also possible via chromecast, or via hdmi (?). In that case, is there a more elegant solution than mirroring my desktop and fullscreening whatever I want to watch?

i would look into a plex server if your tv has any kind of multi-media (or fire/google/apple connection)

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    TV's coming tomorrow, so I have two probably silly questions. 1) to play the vidya on it via PC, I could use the steam app via wifi or just hook a hdmi cable up. Cable is probably the superior option, right?
    and 2), that ties kinda into the first question, streaming video to the tv from the pc - also possible via chromecast, or via hdmi (?). In that case, is there a more elegant solution than mirroring my desktop and fullscreening whatever I want to watch?

i would look into a plex server if your tv has any kind of multi-media (or fire/google/apple connection)

As in a dedicated machine? Or as a software solution

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    30' 2.1 HDMI cable showed... and it works! 4k 120hz is a go from the 3080ti.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Damn I’m surprised a cable that length works, which one did you get if you don’t mind me asking?

Are you doing 10bit HDR rgb as well?

edited December 2021
    They're definitely out there but I don't love them. The longer it is the more power it's going to use which isn't great for the longevity of your ports.

Edit: actually I'm guessing it's a HDMI fiber optic cable which should be fine?

Shadowfire on
    TV arrived, damn that's a big box. Setting it up tomorrow. Kinda getting anxious, nervous about breaking it. It looks so delicate

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

As in a dedicated machine? Or as a software solution

software solution. You can run software (for free) off your current PC and stream to any device that has the plex app (fire sticks, and chromecaster thingies do, i think apple tv box thing also does). Plex is a fairly common solution and if you have a "smart" tv it might have a downloadable app even. It's also very easy to set up and use.

TV arrived, damn that's a big box. Setting it up tomorrow. Kinda getting anxious, nervous about breaking it. It looks so delicate

It's not that bad, honestly. Cut the straps and the box lifts off the TV. If you're mounting it, it will sit in the packing material just fine while you attach the bracket. Otherwise, have a friend help you gently get it into the stand and hold it while you screw it in. Not to bad really, but yeah, the first couple times you handle them the top feels like you're going to break it just looking at it.

edited December 2021
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09FWYMR3T

8K Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 30ft,HDMI 2.1 Optic Cable 48Gbps high Speed, Support 4K@120Hz, 8K@60Hz, Dynamic HDR 10, eARC, Compatible with PS5, Xbox, Projector. CL3 Rated for in-Wall Installation.

Absolutely a two person lift.

Nosf on
    It's a 55", you can one man that.

-my corporate office

You can one man a TCL 65", they're pretty light and mostly plastic. The LG C1 is so thin as to be terrifying.

Up to 65 it's mostly wingspan. I just don't like it because while I can lift it, any sort of movement makes me feel off balance pretty quickly. Though even all that said, OLEDs are heavy.

Did a 75" Q900 today though, up over a fireplace. That TV isn't bad as far as weight, and the One Connect is a weird box that reminds me of a PS4 slim, but man fuck that mount. It's the same two-piece junk that they use for the Frame TVs and it's so annoying!

Grabbed a wireless keyboard and have been doing some MH:W and some Destiny 2 on the PC via the TV. Soooooo pretty!

Also, I suck at MH:W again after not playing for a year.

TV's up and running and *man*, it is gorgeous, OLED is no joke

Like a true nerd I immediately turned off that motion smoothing stuff, but that made the movie I had playing (The Big Lebowski, of course) look stuttery. There's an option called "cinematic framerate" or somesuch, and it looks good with that on. I want to say I've read about the technical reason for that stuttery impression. Anyway. Great success! Soundbar's coming on Thursday.

Minor setback: the goddamn UHD blu ray player came without an HDMI cable, so I'm using the long one that I want to use w/ my PC for now.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Heh the more expensive the device, the less likely it is to come with cables.

• NoquarNoquar Registered User regular

Like a true nerd I immediately turned off that motion smoothing stuff, but that made the movie I had playing (The Big Lebowski, of course) look stuttery. There's an option called "cinematic framerate" or somesuch, and it looks good with that on. I want to say I've read about the technical reason for that stuttery impression. Anyway. Great success! Soundbar's coming on Thursday.

Minor setback: the goddamn UHD blu ray player came without an HDMI cable, so I'm using the long one that I want to use w/ my PC for now.

I just setup my 77" LG C1 the other day. It was an upgrade from my 75 Q80T(that my 7 year old son accidentally broke). The picture is crazy, crazy good.

Noquar wrote: »

I just setup my 77" LG C1 the other day. It was an upgrade from my 75 Q80T(that my 7 year old son accidentally broke). The picture is crazy, crazy good.

It really is. Default image is very cold though - ostensibly "warm 50" is the ideal setting, but that feels a bit too yellow-orangey. Might just be because of the change though. Lotsa stuff to figure out!

Playing video files on the tv via hdmi from my pc is clumsy though: extending the desktop, fullscreening it on the tv and switching the primary audio output to the tv (and thus, the soundbar). Not exactly elegant. Might have to get one of those streaming sticks or sth.

The soundbar arrived and sounds pretty good (Denon DHT-S416). Is there any way to tell if a subwoofer is working as intended? The sound is full and fairly neutral (which I like), but I thought it would bump a bit more if I play some oldschool rap on it. It'd be good to make sure everything's okay before I shred the packaging and stop making this place look like a warehouse

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

So I have my desktop hooked into my TV as well, and if I turn off my desktop monitor it swaps to TV being primary and changes audio to that device also.

It’s pretty handy and will do the swap to change my target fps and HDR settings.

Huh! Maybe it is that easy. I'll give it a shot!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I've been using this Monitor Profile Switcher and it has worked pretty well for me though it defaults the resolution on my TV to 4K which my lowly 1060 GPU can't game at so I have to tinker a little bit once I switch.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    I will say i've learned a few things since getting the LG C1 - 1) Running eARC with the Xbox Series X and a Samsung HW-Q950T is a must if you want the proper audio. 2) This is the first time I experienced needing a 48Gbps capable HDMI cable. When I flipped Dolby Vision, 4K, and 120hz on in the Xbox Series X the video would drop when I would play content and games - simple cable swap fixed it. Welcome to the new world I guess!

Samsung's 2022 TVs have been shown off a bit, bringing 144Hz support!

And an NFT marketplace.

Fuck

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Looking forward to learning more about QD-OLED stuff.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Yeah, I'll be getting another OLED this year for sure. Just not sure yet what will be the best. Seems like both Samsung and LG have some tricks up their sleeves.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So it seems that Best Buy actually has the PS5 that I ordered even though I kept on thinking that it would get canceled like Target did to me.

The big question is, what TV should I get for it? I'm currently debating between the LG C1 and the Sony A80j. This will be my main TV so it'll also be used for streaming all the services as well as for the PS. I've gone back and forth on them but now that the PS5 is here I'm ready to pull the trigger.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    If it's a 2021 model, go LG. Sony continues to promise firmware updates to get their 2021 models up to date but has yet to deliver. And we've seen in the past, it can take a long time or the company backs out. If you're thinking of one of the new 2022 models, the Sony generally has better reviews as they have better hardware for image processing and the like. And in 2022 they'll have all the modern bells and whistles like VRR.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've been debating getting a LG C1, either 48" or 55", and it's back on sale again. With the 2022 models coming out in the near future I'm debating just waiting.

I'm also not sure if I should go 48" or 55" as I sit about 6.5 feet from the TV. The 55" might be a little large but I also don't feel like the 48" is quite enough of an upgrade from the 42" I'm using now.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    I'd go 55". I have a 55" C6; I sit 6ft away and it's just a tad bit too close. 6.5ft would be perfect.

I'm probably going to downgrade myself to a 48" so that I can move closer to the TV (around the 5ft distance).

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think if you have the money and the space bigger is always better unless you're at like monitor distance (~2-3'). I think at 6-7' 55" is great.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Get the 55".

If will seem huge at first but will blend in soon enough.

edited January 2022
    55" it is then.

I'm still debating whether or not to wait on the C2 coming out soon. When the C1 is $200 off for what I'm assuming is Super Bowl sales the difference might not be worth the $200-400 more.

Cormac on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I dont think there's going to be a massive difference between the C1 and C2 (same with the A80J and A80K, although the K will launch with VRR and the J will get it....winter 2021 at some point), although you'll probably continue to see sales on the C1 after the C2 launches so waiting isnt a terrible option.

I think the other question is - can you actually tell the difference between them, or are you jonesing for the latest and greatest? A struggle I have a LOT.

Yeah, the difference between OLED and LED are night and day. But between a C1 and a C2? Probably nearly nothing. Go with the cheaper.

But also, yeah, assume 55" as your baseline. It's almost become the "normal" size TV now.

That all makes sense. If the C2 comes with the Evo panel from the G1 series it's slightly better but for the vast majority of content I watch I doubt I'd see the difference unless they were side by side. The $200 savings also makes up for whatever difference there might be. I don't care about whatever upgrades LG does to the software because once I have it set up I use an Apple TV 4K for all my streaming and content needs.

It's been 4-5 years since I last bought a TV and didn't opt for a warranty plan. That was a $500 Sony and at that price it definitely wasn't worth it. For a $1300 TV I'm actually considering it. I do have $150 in Amazon gift cards I was planning to use but Costo has the C1 for the same price with a warranty plan included. I'll be needing a 25ft optical HDMI cable to connect my computer on the other side of the room to the TV so the gift cards will be used for something regardless.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Like a lot of people I'm debating between the C1 and QN90A. One of the things I'm slightly concerned about is the reflection glare from light sources. Given the C1's glass surface, everyone says it can definitely be an issue. Anyone here with the C1 have a take on this? Would be sitting flat on a media console, not mounted, so can't be tilted. Our living room has 3 large windows off to the side of the TV, and in the evening we have two floor lamps across the room from the TV, flanking both sides of the couch.

Simpsonia wrote: »
    Like a lot of people I'm debating between the C1 and QN90A. One of the things I'm slightly concerned about is the reflection glare from light sources. Given the C1's glass surface, everyone says it can definitely be an issue. Anyone here with the C1 have a take on this? Would be sitting flat on a media console, not mounted, so can't be tilted. Our living room has 3 large windows off to the side of the TV, and in the evening we have two floor lamps across the room from the TV, flanking both sides of the couch.

What's up slacker? Long time no WOT.

I guess it depends - we haven't noticed an issue on ours. Though we have the window directly behind it. I do have 4 LED Color lights in the ceiling above - we don't have any issues. Even if we have those on bright white, and a lamp, and the hall lights on - no issues.

I will say this - I personally do not subscribe to the brighter is better. We had a Samsung Q80 before our C1 and one of the things we'd consistently say as a family is holy crap that's too bright on many things.

Can you get window treatments? I have a C6 and have metal blinds in our apartment. When the sun is out, I can definitely see some reflection of myself on a black screen. Moving, I'll be able to get curtains so it won't be an issue any more.

Also it only applies to dark/black screens. If I have the browser open or a game, it's never really a problem.