As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    NSW Health are saying the Omicron peak will be next week.

I assume based on the fact that the official case numbers are starting to drop.

Except those official case numbers are way off because they've been telling people to use rapid tests at home which aren't counted.

So they're going to declare the peak over and remove restrictions when it's still rising silently.

I fucking hate our government.

edit - also that 'nobody could have foreseen what Omicron did'. Fucking everyone foresaw it. The government did not care.

-Loki- on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    edit - also that 'nobody could have foreseen what Omicron did'. Fucking everyone foresaw it. The government did not care.
    I really miss the Hail Hydra reaction at times like this....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Do the rapid covid test even fucking work?

Out of my dozen regular gaming buddies, 10 of them (all NSW, QLD, & VIC) have caught covid now. 6 of them passed at least 2 rapid covid tests, despite being symptomatic, and 2 of them later showing positive on proper tests. Lucky they’re all fully vaxxed, so they’re just feeling shit

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Someone I work with was using the nasal test and kept coming up negative. A nurse told them the nasal test needs a bit of saliva, so do that before jamming it up your nose and suddenly it was positive.

My brother and his wife just tested positive on a saliva rapid test. He got a PCR to double check which was positive.

So yeah, they can work.

-Loki- on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    My impression is that the rapid tests can give false negatives but not false positives. That might be off base.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Omicron works better with saliva testing than nasal.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    My impression is that the rapid tests can give false negatives but not false positives. That might be off base.

More or less right on that:
    Unfortunately, there’s a trade-off between speed and accuracy, and antigen tests often fail to identify people who are actually infected, a shortcoming the FDA acknowledges. “Positive results from antigen tests are highly accurate,” the FDA writes, “but there is a higher chance of false negatives, so negative results do not rule out infection.”

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I can give you my experience with testing over the last couple of weeks, but at least in my experience the saliva rapid tests were accurate.

Christmas Eve, my partner mentions she's not feeling great, I duck down to the chemist and get a six pack of the rapid tests that they had just gotten in. (6 for $70 at the time)

She does a double test that evening, both come back positive. I do one that evening, one in the morning, both are negative. She starts isolating down one end of the house.

We go separately to one of the drive through PCR warehouses first thing the next day, both get tested, these would eventually match the rapid tests when we got them back.

I did the final two rapid tests on Monday and the Wednesday, both came back negative. I still felt fine, but didn't get a PCR test as facilities were reported as being swamped.

Eventually I did come down with Covid, but didn't show symptoms until the Saturday and PCR tested on the Monday.

So in my experience the rapid tests were effective but you want to do multiples if you want to truly confirm, like Dave said.

And that's a big ask for people who are not well off, when they're $10+ a pop.

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm glad to not be paying for tests in the UK. I've been feeling under the weather this week, but was getting negative results each time. I just assumed it was a cold. It wasn't until Thursday that I finally got a positive test and started isolating. I don't think I'd be testing as frequently if I was paying out of pocket for each one.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Do the rapid covid test even fucking work?

Out of my dozen regular gaming buddies, 10 of them (all NSW, QLD, & VIC) have caught covid now. 6 of them passed at least 2 rapid covid tests, despite being symptomatic, and 2 of them later showing positive on proper tests. Lucky they’re all fully vaxxed, so they’re just feeling shit

It depends a LOT on the brand. I did find a list estimating the false negative rate for six of the most common brands at one point, if i can find it again I'll post it.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    So.

The Governor General has covid.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    So.

The Governor General has covid.

Crikey GG or Fush & Chups GG?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I'm guessing Crikey, simply because of who posted it

lonelyahava on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    He is isolating at Admiralty House, his Sydney residence, but will continue to perform his official duties remotely.
    He's a human rubber stamp.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing Crikey, simply because of who posted it

It is indeed the Crikey one. And I love this classification system.

n57PM0C.jpg
    Well the Djokovic court case is today and is already raging. This should be entertaining.

If he does get away with getting into the country using a medical exemption the federal government has said since the beginning of the closed borders won’t be accepted, that’ll be great fodder for the election coming up.

Which also means Labor will do nothing at all with it.

This is already making the government look hilariously incompetent. And the world is watching because of how badly they handled it. Looks like Djokovic will win.

LNP sells itself as the party thats super tough on borders. Yet they couldn't even make guidelines to stop an unvaccinated tennis player getting into the country.

Then you have the beetrooter on TV this morning saying that he's not going to win, what he did isn't how it works.

It's just this beautiful trainwreck showing how bad at governing the LNP are.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile in other government fuck ups, we have Morrison conceding that omnicron spread faster than expected. Except for everyone in the scientific community rapidly coming to the consensus that Omnicron was incredibly more infectious than Delta from days into its discovery. Who would have fucking thought, except every scientist in the world?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Meanwhile in other government fuck ups, we have Morrison conceding that omnicron spread faster than expected. Except for everyone in the scientific community rapidly coming to the consensus that Omnicron was incredibly more infectious than Delta from days into its discovery. Who would have fucking thought, except every scientist in the world?

ScoMo has been running the Trump playbook of having a scandal a minute to stay ahead of the media cycle.

Australia is definitely dumb enough to fall for it.

Note how this concession was snuck out while everyone is watching a fancy lad rich Tennis star argue he was right to be a twat about the vaccine.

No mention in here about the 'free' RATs?

Turns out, the government isn't providing them to pharmacies. Pharmacies are expected to source their own, and provide them for free, and use a government system to claim reimbursment.

There's a couple of problems. First, how much will the government reimburse? If it's more than what the pharmacies spend to get them, they're at a loss. Second, when can they claim the reimbursment? In typical Australian Government fashion, the system they want them to use doesn't exist yet.

Source your own RATs to provide for free to the people the government said could get them for free. No, we don't have a way for you to get reimbursed. No , we don't know what paperwork you will need. No, we don't know how much we will reimburse you. No, we dkn't know when the system will be working. Hopefully by the 20th when this kicks in? Maybe.

Good luck. Don't fire any staff to break even please so we don't look even worse?

This is already making the government look hilariously incompetent. And the world is watching because of how badly they handled it. Looks like Djokovic will win.

LNP sells itself as the party thats super tough on borders. Yet they couldn't even make guidelines to stop an unvaccinated tennis player getting into the country.

Then you have the beetrooter on TV this morning saying that he's not going to win, what he did isn't how it works.

Haha you called it, they lost and now have massive egg on their faces. Plus this looks terrible for thousands of Australians stuck overseas who cannot get home due to these tough restrictions.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Aegeri wrote: »

Haha you called it, they lost and now have massive egg on their faces. Plus this looks terrible for thousands of Australians stuck overseas who cannot get home due to these tough restrictions.

More likely, they'll just cancel his visa anyway, to save that face.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
    Yeah but it costs them more face to do that now that a court reversed it. It’s a bit of a clown show.

edited January 2022
    And what he got out on was actually all Border Forces fault.

When they had him at the airport, before detention, they said he had until 8:30am to speak with a lawyer and then respond to officials.

Then his visa was cancelled at 7:42am, almost an hour before his deadline. No communication happening between the front line and top.

Absolute clownshoes, this government.

But yeah, you've got Australian citizens stuck overseas and this happens? This should be pretty disastrous for the government. On top of everything else.

-Loki- on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    As a UK expat, it is staggering to me the extent to which various branches of the government simply do not talk to each other.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about law, but could Djokavic potentially sue the government for lost earnings if he misses the tournament? Given he was picked to win which would have been a $4.5 million prize...

exis wrote: »
    I don't know anything about law, but could Djokavic potentially sue the government for lost earnings if he misses the tournament? Given he was picked to win which would have been a $4.5 million prize...

Don’t threaten me with a good time.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that a country could not stop it's own citizens from entering the country? How is Austrailia preventing them from flying in?

Mc zany wrote: »
    I was under the impression that a country could not stop it's own citizens from entering the country? How is Austrailia preventing them from flying in?

We’re not, but they could be being prevented from leaving another country, or stuck because international flight availability is still a shambles.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    And what he got out on was actually all Border Forces fault.

When they had him at the airport, before detention, they said he had until 8:30am to speak with a lawyer and then respond to officials.

Then his visa was cancelled at 7:42am, almost an hour before his deadline. No communication happening between the front line and top.

Absolute clownshoes, this government.

But yeah, you've got Australian citizens stuck overseas and this happens? This should be pretty disastrous for the government. On top of everything else.
    This.

Djokovic has two "exemptions" to enter the country, but they were issued by Tennis Australia and Victorian State government - neither of whom have any authority over the international border so he may as well had a note from his mum as far as the law was concerned.

The court decision rested almost entirely on the fact that he was denied due process once he landed. If they had allowed him his phone (apparently they temporarily confiscated it) to call his lawyers, and then cancelled his visa at 830 as they had advised, he would probably now be on a flight back to Europe.

Of course, all the anti-vaxx "freedom" nuts are now falsely arguing that the court ruled that the covid restrictions are illegal - so expect a lot more incidents of idiocy resulting from this.

It appears Perrottets new strategy is to wind down PCR testing to redice case numbers, and the media is obviously buying it.

25870 cases today. Immediately I see a news article 'NSW may be over the peak'.

There were only 71325 PCR tests processed. That's still over 30% infectious rate. Case numbers are down because testing numbers are down.

Fucking hell media, do your fucking job.

Today will be a fascinating day of chicken.

I 100% anticipate the governments response will be set by how the Murdoch Media overnight reacts to the case.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It appears Perrottets new strategy is to wind down PCR testing to redice case numbers, and the media is obviously buying it.

25870 cases today. Immediately I see a news article 'NSW may be over the peak'.

There were only 71325 PCR tests processed. That's still over 30% infectious rate. Case numbers are down because testing numbers are down.

Fucking hell media, do your fucking job.

It's always been transparently the plan. This is what we're going to get told about ecosystem collapse from climate change, and the next round of wildfires too.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    They're not all buying it. The guardian always says "obviously those numbers are wildly inaccurate now"

If you are talking about Murdoch corporations I don't know what you expected, they're not really media. They're propaganda creators. There's no news there.

edit: Actually, to my surprise, I looked at the article, and underneath the clickbait article they do actually have a whole heading and paragraph saying the numbers are an underestimate. Which is way more effort (for them) than I gave them credit for.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's the playbook worldwide. Omicron and our inability to contain it means that "COVID is over". Govts are shifting the hospitalisation measurement from "people in hospital with COVID" to "people in hospital because of COVID" And co-morbidities, once a right wing antivaxxer talking point, are now a mainstream media talking point.

So, it appears Djokovic lied on his travel declarion - stating he did not travel in the 14 days prior to flying to Australia. He travelled to Spain in that time.

If they wanted an excuse to cancel his visa, there's one.

So, it appears Djokovic lied on his travel declarion - stating he did not travel in the 14 days prior to flying to Australia. He travelled to Spain in that time.

If they wanted an excuse to cancel his visa, there's one.

Surprising nobody, the guy who won't say what he was doing maskless at an event right after he knew he was confirmed to be COVID, is probably lying about other activities he did.

edited January 2022
    Well they’re dragging their feet over Djokovic. They’re citing due process is why Hawke hasn’t made a decision over cancelling his visa which is a hilarious thing to cite in the current circumstances.

Maybe they’re going for maximum pettiness and doing it the day before the Open?

More likely, they’ll drag their feet until the media gets bored.

-Loki- on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Well, the thing is, their justification for cancelling his visa was perfectly valid - Tennis Australia or the Victorian government do not control the Australian borders and a medical exemption to play in a tournament or a medical exemption to enter Victoria are not the same thing as a medical exemption to enter Australia.

His case was won on a matter of process, not cause.