As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

new extra whitespace after short posts on desktop? or am I crazy

This morning my brain noticed there's a lot of whitespace below short posts on the desktop version of the site, it seems like it's justifying the bottom of the post text area to the bottom of the location text box, so a text in that field extends the post text field even further down, but even with no location text it's still a weirdly large blank space below short posts. I can't recall if it was always like this or not but I thiiiink it wasn't like this yesterday? Brains are weird about noticing things. If it's always been like that disregard this.

BahamutZERO.gif

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I've noticed it also, using Opera on a Windows 10 PC.

Edit: Added an image.
    CrM4asK.png

Peen on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Happening to me, Firefox, Windows 10 machine

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Same here, Chrome, Windows 11

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    per brolo
    Brolo wrote: »
    <div class="Message userContent">
    Every post is just slightly too tall right now and the bug report thread is all the way in the other forum and that's too far away.
    <p></p> 
    </div>

for some reason the content inside of a post is not actually in the paragraph tag containing the post

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Yup, +1. Windows 10 (and 11 @ home), Chrome Beta v97.0.4692.71
    Axo68vY.png

iTunesIsEvil on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Whew, I thought every post had deleted tweets in it or something

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    per brolo
    Brolo wrote: »
    <div class="Message userContent">
    Every post is just slightly too tall right now and the bug report thread is all the way in the other forum and that's too far away.
    <p></p> 
    </div>

for some reason the content inside of a post is not actually in the paragraph tag containing the post

actually it gets weirder than this

every post has an empty pargraph in it

the empty paragraph has an extra :after pseudo-tag attached to it
    <p>
    :after
    </p>

the :after tag then has this CSS description:
    .userContent.Message > :last-child::after {

display: table;
        clear: both;
        content: "";

}

changing the display mode from "table" to "content" then collapses the empty space on short posts, but I have no idea why they're being rendered out with an extra 70-100 pixels of height in the first place. there's nothing in the box model that really shows why there'd be extra height on that element

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    *ghosts in the machine*

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It looks like the height of the whitespace is directly related to the user-profile stuff. ie however much vertical space your name, avatar, location, etc take up to the left of your post is how tall your post has to be. Compare many of the posts with a relatively small amount of stuff there with someone who has a bunch:

pedhvfzchoht.png

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DUN DUN DUN

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    oh hey is it fixed? seems like it!
    finally speed racer can post again
    e77ol5o0yq8u.png

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just noticed that as well. Yay! maybe some love is being shown to our style sheets.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch