As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    ah here's the video about the black gulch sorry GUTTER beta stuff I mentioned, interesting stuff. Black gulch and gutter count as one area in my head.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_YcEvpAafE

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I loved Bloodborne lore, but couldn't get into Dark Souls lore. I think it was the Lovecraft factor.

How's Elden Ring look, Lovecraftian-wise? Eldritch? Not eldritch enough?

Not lovecraftian. Im actually not sure how to describe the stuff, dark high-fantasy Norse?

The more I see of it the more Im able to separate it from Dark Souls.

It's more Celtic, I think

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I loved Bloodborne lore, but couldn't get into Dark Souls lore. I think it was the Lovecraft factor.

Not lovecraftian. Im actually not sure how to describe the stuff, dark high-fantasy Norse?

The more I see of it the more Im able to separate it from Dark Souls.

It's more Celtic, I think

I think you may be right. There's definitely a star-worship thing going on.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

This is a confusing post because Bloodborne is massively Lovecraftian, so do you mean that you don't like Dark Souls because it's not Lovecraft enough?

Dark Souls is Shinto mythology by way of Berserk.

DanHibiki on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

This is a confusing post because Bloodborne is massively Lovecraftian, so do you mean that you don't like Dark Souls because it's not Lovecraft enough?

He means he liked Bloodborne's Lovecraft, but Dark Souls didn't have enough.

edited January 2022
    Yeah, not much otherworldly horror going on in Dark Souls. There's a bunch of I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream type of perpetual torment of those unable to die themes going on but not what i'd call Lovecraftian... unless you count the Sewer Centipedes... or those Dragon Hybrids... or the Hand Babies...

DanHibiki on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    or the Hand Babies...

The Monstrosities of Sin are by far the most disgusting enemies to me in the series.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

The Lovecraft factor is the reason for my differing interest viz Bloodborne and Dark Souls. I like heavy Lovecraft stuff.

I did find a neat breakdown of the Elden Ring story trailer that made it seem interesting. Similar videos for Dark Souls just don't land with me, dunno why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cQh6Xj-fA&ab_channel=VaatiVidya

H9f4bVe.png
    693w7rntyrs6.png

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    damn you mist noble

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It's hard to say if Elden Ring will be Lovecraftian enough

but it has giant land octopodes so there is some hope

t4ggjoiw4iuu.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well goddamn it I preordered on PS5 because I’m promiscuous for this sort of self-inflicted torture

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It's hard to say if Elden Ring will be Lovecraftian enough

but it has giant land octopodes so there is some hope

t4ggjoiw4iuu.jpg

You don’t go to the trouble of making that tentacle tech without at least introducing us to another woman stuck to a monster’s ass, if not directly dipping into Bloodborne’s unused pile.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    so im admittedly not huge on the dark souls train but of course see this game everywhere. is it out already in some places or something? i keep seeing people posting playthroughs and stuff for it and already calling it some amazing game. i didnt think it came out for a couple months still.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    so im admittedly not huge on the dark souls train but of course see this game everywhere. is it out already in some places or something? i keep seeing people posting playthroughs and stuff for it and already calling it some amazing game. i didnt think it came out for a couple months still.

There was a network test for it where people could play roughly 1/12th of the game world for a couple days. Kind of like a Fromsoft tradition.

• hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    It's not actually out yet, but they ran a closed 'technical test' that you could sign up for and play through a small chunk of the game recently.
    I'd imagine most of the footage and discussion around the web is based on that!

hemmelight on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Gotcha, stuff I was skimming seemed like people had played through the whole game already.

Gotcha, stuff I was skimming seemed like people had played through the whole game already.

well... they already managed to data mine the shit out of it.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular

Which is so bizarre. I played Dark Souls 3 Japan version because I didn't want to wait (I still can't believe they released it like that) and it felt kind of similar: playing a game where a large amount of what is going on is hidden behind code that is undecipherable to you.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

While not letting pc players play it, because... it'd get daatamined.

(To be fair to them, it'd have probably been way easier to datamine on pc, but hey)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I've sold enough of my STEAM cards to nearly outright pay for ELDEN RING. Debating whether or not to wait till it crosses over or just pre-purchase it right now. Hard choices.

Crosses over?

While not letting pc players play it, because... it'd get daatamined.

(To be fair to them, it'd have probably been way easier to datamine on pc, but hey)

well there's been a big community of people data mining From Soft games and I think they've had their practice with mining Bloodborne and Demons' Souls remaster.

Crosses over?

Ha. I meant the amount sold crosses over the price of the game. I didn't want to wait and just purchased the game for 10 bucks.

New pic from the FS twitter, spoiled (But awesome for those not on media blackout, zero spoilers)
    p0e3023655yl.jpg

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    No words. Should've been a poet.

H9f4bVe.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I believe there was a 0-day exploit for the PS5 or 4 that allowed them to datamine Elden Ring.

Speaking of exploits:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/sa3tll/it_is_now_possible_for_dark_souls_3_invaders_to/

Works in Elden Ring as well apparently, so be aware.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    New pic from the FS twitter, spoiled (But awesome for those not on media blackout, zero spoilers)
    p0e3023655yl.jpg

God, that looks awesome.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    p0e3023655yl.jpg

He ded

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Looks good. I didn't really watch much footage from the network test, but it looks like they've learned a lot from camera placement (given how Miyazaki is all in on large bosses) for this go.

. . .also we're a month away from launch week, which should go insanely fast with HFW that week.

Taipei Game Show footage has dropped, with interviews. Translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWNAm3jmnRM

Decent Q&A in the video. Surprised they were willing to talk about game length, though 30 hours seems a bit on the high side? I mean not for me as I've only actually beaten each game once - and then sunk hundreds of hours into alternate challenge playthroughs (my favorite was a Spear-Maiden in DS2).

. . .one thing that I liked about this discussion was the comment the fellow made about not changing up enemy swarms based on world conditions. Playing Dying Light (totally different games I know) you're just not really incentivized to play at night. Sure you get SURVIVOR rank up faster but it is a less fun experience. FS is basically just doing away with that as a feature. Small thing, but I'm sure there will be 100's of "small design" things like this that elevate the game.

Though. . .Elden Lord? Really?

edited January 2022
    Comparison of the character models from Elden Ring and DS3

(Spoilered of course)
    wu603d9zbed0.jpg

The difference is... significant

jungleroomx on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I can’t wait for Monster Factory to get ahold of this game

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

(Spoilered of course)
    wu603d9zbed0.jpg

The Souls games have never been....let's say graphical powerhouses.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I can’t wait for Monster Factory to get ahold of this game

Is Monster Factory still a thing?! I didn't think they were making new episodes. I've almost died laughing on my couch from some of their episodes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

(Spoilered of course)
    wu603d9zbed0.jpg

The landscapes, architecture and critters always look pretty good. The character themselves always looks like an inbred hillbilly. Maybe someday!

edited January 2022
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

(Spoilered of course)
    wu603d9zbed0.jpg

I think the Elden Ring PC's are firmly "last gen" but a really good "last gen" and a significant step up from From's other... let's say attempts at making people.

jungleroomx on
    Most of the time you look like a withered plum so it's kinda ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dark Souls people look exactly like people should after such events as endlessly living and dying for untold eons on the dim edge of eternal darkness, particularly after being reconstituted from the burnt ashes of former fallen heroes. "Human-ish" is about as good as should be expected.

This discussion has been closed.