As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    The Captain was a MG hit away from a sudden death.
    7r9wXUd.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    One of everything. Very Oosiks.

The logistics branch approves.

:confused: Missing the most important Mech

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    One of everything. Very Oosiks.

The logistics branch approves.

:confused: Missing the most important Mech

It was a tough decision, but since we weren't on the Draconis border i figured hed stay in the stable.

kx3klFE.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I once heard tell of the tale of an Oosik who slew a hundred Dracs with nothing but a bottle opener.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I once heard tell of the tale of an Oosik who slew a hundred Dracs with nothing but a bottle opener.

Sure, but enough about our drinking exploits, we all know Dracs can't hold their booze.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Of course we did.
    The Draconians died of laughter seeing the Oosik try to open the sake with the bottle opener.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    There is a distinct lack of 3x4 neoprene battlemaps around. Especially with 1.25" hexes. How bad of an idea would it be to get a 6x4 and cut it in half?

really wish catalyst made just a plain brown or green open field with no terrain features on it.

kx3klFE.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @HydroSqueegee

Gametoppers has them in that size:

https://www.gametoppersllc.com/game-mats.html

I just got a collection of mats from them, and rather like them so far.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    @HydroSqueegee

Gametoppers has them in that size:

https://www.gametoppersllc.com/game-mats.html

I just got a collection of mats from them, and rather like them so far.

well hot diggity damn. that place has all kinds of neat mats. thanks!

kx3klFE.png
    well i broke down and got the 4x6 mat made by deep cut studio and sold through steel warrior studios. It has nicer crisp black hex lines that dont stand out as much as the ones at game toppers. the preview there showed thick light grey hex lines i didn't care for too much on the game toppers, not to mention a bit more expensive. And the main mat on amazon that shows up is the weird only corner of the hexs lines.

kx3klFE.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    As someone with a brand new, absurdly-large dining room table perhaps specifically sized for large play surfaces, I'll be keen to hear how your new mat is once you receive it!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited January 2022
    Huh. I just got a shipment confirmation out of the blue from CGL. Looks like the Tukayyid Salvage bags are coming back in stock. I've had an outstanding order on those since early November now.

In other news, Project Put Away All Your Damn Robots has now overtaken Project Build All The Things in priority. Fired up the forges and made this box for my SLDF Generations project, with space for a RoTS Lance plus Knight and a lance for a Periphery state. Snug and cozy.

XzznL2Dh.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    IIRC reps for PGI in the past have stated that Clans were out of scope for MW5 and would likely be the focus for a hypothetical MW6.

Dunno if no more DLCs is definitely the case though. I’d like to see one for War of 3039.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Since it was left behind in the Holiday Forum thread:

This weekend I'll be taking over GMing my group for a bit. My plan is to run a mini-campaign based on Brigador where the players run through a round of freelance. They'll start by picking from a pool of mechs and applying one bonus to their pilot (-1 Gunnery, -1 Piloting or 1 Lucky reroll). Each sortie will require them to destroy a number of targets (command mechs and structures, mostly). For every objective completed they'll earn points to spend between missions on armor/ammo refills and additional pilot bonuses. The enemies will also be escalating in strength, starting with suboptimal lights and mediums with 5/6 pilots and gaining tonnage, skill and surprises as the campaign goes on.

The big thing I'm going for is to get the players to push their long-term luck. You only need to complete one major objective before being allowed to exfil from an exit point, but accomplishing more means you can keep ahead of the enemy strengthening curve. In addition, the campaign itself ends when the players reach their escape dropship, but they decide how soon they're getting out.

Thoughts and suggestions are very welcome. I'm basically coming up with this by the seat of my pants.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    IIRC reps for PGI in the past have stated that Clans were out of scope for MW5 and would likely be the focus for a hypothetical MW6.

Dunno if no more DLCs is definitely the case though. I’d like to see one for War of 3039.

That was also my understanding of the first point; that they'd been consistent about saying MW5 would not be adding the Clans, and the Invasion would be its own game.

I feel like if EG7's saying no more DLC for MW5, then there's not going to be any more DLC. They own PGI now, IIRC. It's a shame, because 3039 would've been cool though.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

It was amazing at the time and blew my middle school mind. Using the "pro" controls - foot rudder and joystick torso twist then selecting each weapon for what weapon group with the toggles and separate LED displays just made me feel rad. This nostalgia bombed me for the whole afternoon. Thanks.

l7n41RV.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    My brother and I had a great game of Classic this week. We wanted to try and bring down the power level a bit so we went with a 6k force setup.

We…. failed to bring down the power level.
    Me:
    Gargoyle prime 1537 4/5
    Huntsman A 2034 4/5
    Mad dog prime 2351 4/5
    Him:
    Hatchetman HCT-7R 2677 2/2
    Centurion CN9-D9 1966 3/5
    Valkyrie VLK-QD2 1346 1/1

I ended up coming out on top, but honestly, it could absolutely have gone either way. I outweighed and outgunned him, but my green pilots were having trouble hitting things, especially because those high tech variants are so goddamn fast and have jump jets.

His Hatchetman and Valkyrie took the Gargoyle bait, but my Mad Dog just leveled forests instead of hitting his targets. The Huntsman proved an able bodyguard for the Mad Dog by keeping the Centurion at bay, while also dealing a lovely hit to the Hatchetman at some point, legging the poor bastard in the open, thanks to a Gargoyle kick weakening the leg earlier.

Still, the Hatchetman remained hungry. Propped itself up on the hatchet arm and hit the Gargoyle with everything it had, opening the left torso. The Valkyrie took aim with the targeting computer and let fly, finding the SRM bin in the left torso, which would have killed the Gargoyle if it weren’t for CASE.

We weren’t done! Not at all.

The Huntsman ran out of armor on the CT. Scary, especially with a sharpshooter Valkyrie with two Light AC2s and a targeting computer. Luckily, before the Valkyrie found anything important on that torso, the Mad Dog finally was useful and cut the Hatchetman’s laser arm off, giving breathing room for the Gargoyle to help knock the Centurion down by killing the gyro.

Of course, the Centurion managed a GORGEOUS DFA that very nearly crushed the Gargoyle’s head before it went down. Glory to that pilot!

My brother called it; my Mad Dog was practically clean with half its ammo left, the Gargoyle was arguably still good enough to tangle, even with the left half missing, and the Huntsman, while seriously in danger of being cored, still had all its firepower and maneuverability, while he had legged, gunless, Hatchetman, a gyro’d Centurion, and his Valkyrie still good to go. But a pair of Light AC2s aren’t enough to deal with that amount of metal.

AvalonGuard on
    edited January 2022
    Year: 3015
    Theatre: Lyran/Marik Border
    System: Cascade
    Objective: Defend Logistics Depot

Oosiks: 2nd Company, Alpha Lance
    AS7-D Capt. Jenne Woo
    HBK-4G Lt. Derya Pagin-Matos
    LCT-1E MW Jakuri-n Gadoski
    COM-2D MW Malene Tatkalo Jr.

OPFOR: Mercenary, unknown markings
    PHX-1
    CPLT-C1
    HCT-3F
    PNT-9R

Intel reported a small incoming force headed towards the regions logistics depot. A lance Oosik forces happened to be in the area and our employers have paid us to guard this facility and drive back the attackers.

Contact was made on the outskirts of the facility. The Opfor spread themselves thin while the Oosik forces pulled together and took cover behind the buildings as they advanced.

YkOIWvt.jpg

The engagement started slow with both sides taking pot shots and working to maneuver their forces into position. This would prove difficult in the small urban area. But Oosik aim was true, stripping armor down off the enemy mechs at a 2:1 rate of losing their own. Opfor almost seemed timid, no doubt intimidated by the presence of Capt. Woos Atlas supported by Lt. Pagin-Matos in her Hunchback. The enemy Catapult was out of position for the majority of the first part of the battle, never able to get a good sight on anyone while it slowly jumped through the marshy area to the west in an attempt to flank. A Panther closed on us from the East side of the engagement area, but what few shots he was able to fire off were ineffective and preferred to stay in cover more than expose himself to fire. The Hatchetman was not much better, preferring to jump from dense woods to dense woods trying to throw us off balance while taking shots with his autocannon from a distance. The Phoneix Hawk lept into action, getting close, trying to draw us out and no doubt served as the bait to try and lure us to the east side of the city so the Catapult to the west would be able to pepper us with missiles. This would prove his undoing though as the pilot made a miscalculation when maneuvering.
    An attempt was made by the Phoenix Hawk to take cover on the west side of a Coms tower to bring fire on MW Gadoski in their Locust harassing the Catapult, but he didnt see MW Tatkalo Jr. in her Commando pull a hard left to seize a target of opportunity as the Hawk slowed down to a slow walk. Tatkalo pushed open the throttle to bring the entire arsenal of the Commado into the back of the PHX, and all the weapons aim were true. Laser fire and 7 missiles tore through the rear torso of the Phoenix Hawk, striking the gyro, destroying the right torso completely and taking the weapons arm with it. The first blow in an already unraveling attack on Oosik forces.

wTuPxIS.jpg

This stroke of good fortune and skillful gunnery put the Opfor on their back foot trying to mitigate the damage while desperately trying to land any attacks they could. Our Locust did a fine job of keeping the Catapult at bay, and in an attempt to shake the little bugger, lept onto one of the supply hangars. But MW Gadoski is a fine pilot and was able to run around the back side to get a clean shot on his rear armor. A flash of laser fire ripped open a soft spot between the panels and suddenly the Catapult was ripped in two in a massive explosion from one of its ammo bins. The smoking remains scattered the area. Luckily the building was fortified enough to withstand the explosion and only minor damage to the roof was reported. During this engagement, it looked as if the PHX was trying to escape south since his combat effectiveness was reduced to near nothing. So the Commando went north to support the Atlas and Hunchback slowly chipping away at the Hatchetman and Panther. The Atlas had finally found its aim with the heavy autocannon, blowing off the Hatchetmans right arm, further reducing the threat.

6YcH0LD.jpg

The explosion must have made the PHX change his mind and attempt to help his comrades in need as the battle quickly was being lost, but there wasnt much he could do at that point with a hit gyro and no weapons. Our forces moved in to mop up the rest of the enemy. And a smart commander may have retreated his forces from overwhelming odds at this point, but the Opfor stayed to slug it out. The panther charged INTO a building for cover, shocking the Capt. and Lt. All the might of the Hunchback and Atlas were laid into that building in an attempt to drive it out. The section of building crumbled under the onslaught of heavy autocannons, missiles and lasers. The surprisingly durable Panther survived with moderate damage sustained, but was still fully operational. This left MW Tatkalo Jr. exposed to the Hatchetman, who was able to walk forward, fire off its AC10 through the woods, past the corner of a building and directly into the head of her Commando, killing her instantly.

s03buCM.jpg

The engagement concluded in a desperate final attack from the 3 remaining mechs. The PHX attempted a charge at our Locust, but the nimble feet of the light mech avoided the attack. But the Hatchetman and Panther went for broke, both performing a death from above against the Atlas and Hunchback respectively. Capt. Woo and Lt. Pagin-Matos fired everything they had at the Hatchetman as it came down on the Hunchback, with the Atlas' AC20 round ripping through its core, splitting it in two and potentially saving Lt. Pagin-Matos a bad hit. The Panther however was able to come crashing down on the Atlas while he was distracted, sending him flying backwards and crashing through the wall of the building he was near. But the damage was minimal and Capt. Woo managed to stay on her feet. The panther, meanwhile, damaged their legs badly in the assault and managed to fall face first onto their head. Surrender was accepted. The battle won.

GYx2frH.jpg

OoqKVUF.jpg

Other than our 1 loss, it was an overwhelming victory.

Our special condolences go out to the Tatkalo family. Malene Tatkalo Sr. was KIA earlier in the campaign in the exact same brutal fashion as her daughter Malene Tatkalo Jr. Her Commando was salvaged, repaired and given to her daughter, Tatkalo Jr., as a thank you for her mothers service. Tatkalo Jr. immediately signed on with the Oosiks to carry on the legacy of Mechwarriors in the Tatkalo family. Unfortunately she met the same fate as her mother. With no other family to pass the mech down to, the Commando has been salvaged once again, pressed back into service and earned the macabre nickname "The Headhunter" from the technicians. Hopefully the next pilot wont meet the same end.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    fun fact. My BT Buddy made the map by printing and cutting up maps to make a cool custom layout. Luckily i brought some buildings too. I dont know what kind of work printer he has, but that thing prints out a nice professional feeling color paper thats not at all flimsy. He just snipped, taped and glued it all together. It was pretty awesome.

kx3klFE.png
    I don’t quite have access to terrain that rad, but I found a pack of 100 1-inch wood hex pieces for $10 on Amazon that I could start with. I have plenty of maps myself, having an old map pack from the wiz kids era, and my brother got the tukayyid map pack for Christmas, so we are super set there.

I picked up some brown PLA filliment and a hill pack from steel warrior. Need to dust off the printer and get some hills going. Should have gotten some green for trees too. But with all this 3D terrain I've forgotten just how much a good quality 2D map can look.

I wish 3D had a better solution for destroyed sections of buildings. Maybe I'll just chop up some STLs and have multiple varients of multi hex buildings that can be swapped out on the map and put a rubble marker in the location that's destroyed. Or just single hex buildings, but that's kinda boring.

kx3klFE.png
    Someone must know an answer to this. We did have a weird issue come up when it came to buildings and physical attacks. His panther was in a building and I was outside in the adjacent hex with my hunchback. According to the rules in TW, "Physical attacks cannot be made against a targets in a building hex by units outside the hex, unless the attacker is located in the same multi-hex building and is adjacent to the target, on the same level of the building hex (charges being the one exception)." So obviously I cannot attack his mech directly, I have to attack the building. Now this is reads like its an explicit rule for only attackers outside trying to attack in. But there is no explicit statement about mechs in the building attacking a unit on the outside. To me it makes sense if you cant kick or punch into the building, why would a mech be able to physically attack from inside to the outside. They punching or using a flying kick through a window or something? It seems like it should be a no go both ways.

kx3klFE.png
    Also, test print done. I like the look of the hills, but even with each level being 20mm (slightly taller than the 3/4" regulation level), it feels short with how big the large mechs stand next to it. Feels good on the smaller guys though.

srOVRXz.jpg

jEENtHL.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I think it looks close but looking at that pic gave me a random memory of either reading or being told that a 'mech standing in Level 2 water will only have, like, part of its head? visible and functionally be not targetable without penalty.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Someone must know an answer to this. We did have a weird issue come up when it came to buildings and physical attacks. His panther was in a building and I was outside in the adjacent hex with my hunchback. According to the rules in TW, "Physical attacks cannot be made against a targets in a building hex by units outside the hex, unless the attacker is located in the same multi-hex building and is adjacent to the target, on the same level of the building hex (charges being the one exception)." So obviously I cannot attack his mech directly, I have to attack the building. Now this is reads like its an explicit rule for only attackers outside trying to attack in. But there is no explicit statement about mechs in the building attacking a unit on the outside. To me it makes sense if you cant kick or punch into the building, why would a mech be able to physically attack from inside to the outside. They punching or using a flying kick through a window or something? It seems like it should be a no go both ways.

I believe the intent there is while ranged attacks can penetrate the wall and do partial damage, a melee attack would be entirely absorbed by the wall and/or having a wall separating you means you simply don't have the reach for a melee attack to connect. I'd apply the same logic for a melee attack coming from inside, it just goes to damaging the wall.

Personally though, I'd house rule it and say either one of you can Koolaid Man that shit, with the first attacker taking self damage from busting through the wall as per the building entrance rules before landing the blow. Assuming the wall is weak enough to go through it. And self damage from busting down the wall gets applied regardless if the melee strike lands or not. Maybe even add a +1 to hit for the added difficulty of debris affecting the swing.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    RE: Buildings: Yeah, that's an odd one. I double checked, and it's the same in both TW and BMM. It might be worth throwing the question up on the official forums to see what the response over there might be.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    RE: Buildings: Yeah, that's an odd one. I double checked, and it's the same in both TW and BMM. It might be worth throwing the question up on the official forums to see what the response over there might be.

Looks like it had already been asked:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/total-warfare/answered-physical-attacks-out-of-buildings/?

The answer is yes, a unit inside the building can make a physical attack against a unit outside the building.

Nobody on
    I wonder if it’s some kind of visibility thing? It’s easier to know what’s outside in the open air than inside, maybe?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wonder if it’s some kind of visibility thing? It’s easier to know what’s outside in the open air than inside, maybe?

Sounds good.
    If you're in a mech inside a building, presumably you got there intentionally to ambush another mech who doesn't realize you're in said building.
    That's a bit of a problem with TT games though, it's really hard to do stealthy sneaky things when all players have a god's eye view of the table.

well my solution to this is going to be a good ol charge from now on.

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, Sunday Brigatech was some science.

I should not have the OPFOR outnumber the players 2:1.

I should not give players the option of starting with -1 Gunnery. That will always be the right choice.

I should spread the static targets farther apart. They were concentrated away from the players' deployment such that they were almost a nonfactor.

Was still a fun time though! I might post my full design doc here after I refine it more.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Hoo boy, Sunday Brigatech was some science.

I should not have the OPFOR outnumber the players 2:1.

I should not give players the option of starting with -1 Gunnery. That will always be the right choice.

I should spread the static targets farther apart. They were concentrated away from the players' deployment such that they were almost a nonfactor.

Was still a fun time though! I might post my full design doc here after I refine it more.

do it. sounds sweet

kx3klFE.png
    edited January 2022
    So for anyone that's curious what $40 of someone's garbage looks like:

LLbM9EAh.jpg

Parted out:

Blb50k6h.jpg

Using a VERY loose interpretation for Usable, I might be able to cobble together a couple Black Knights and maybe 2 or 3 Stormcrows. Gonna need to print some replacements (got zero Stormcrow left arms, and no Black Knight right hands), and there's a bunch of stuff straight unusable in a figure (top middle of second picture).

Nips on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So for anyone that's curious what $40 of someone's garbage looks like:

LLbM9EAh.jpg

Parted out:

Blb50k6h.jpg

Using a VERY loose interpretation for Usable, I might be able to cobble together a couple Black Knights and maybe 2 or 3 Stormcrows. Gonna need to print some replacements (got zero Stormcrow left arms, and no Black Knight right hands), and there's a bunch of stuff straight unusable in a figure (top middle of second picture).

I think you should put some magnets on them and use them as melee weapons.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7