As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - My Boba Manifesto

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2022 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - My Boba Manifesto

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• NashKnightNashKnight Registered User regular
    Just like Jesus!

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    So did that new Boba Fett show rewrite the canon? Did he survive this time?

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    NashKnight wrote: »
    Just like Jesus!

He didn't come back from the dead because he was marketable, he became marketable because he came back from the dead

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    How do they *know* how long it takes for a Sarlaac to digest something, anyway?

EDIT-
    T-Danger wrote: »

Sort of. The original EU had stories where Fett had survived the Sarlaac, because writers wanted to write more Boba Fett stuff. Then The Great Disney Purge happened, and that part became no longer canon. So it's a retcon of a retcon of a retcon.

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It is the way.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how anyone could be confused as to how he got out of the sarlaac pit when he went in wearing a jetpack.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    NashKnight wrote: »
    Just like Jesus!

He didn't come back from the dead because he was marketable, he became marketable because he came back from the dead

You might be surprised.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its not even unique to star wars comics routinely kill characters off "FOR GOOD THIS TIME!" and then like a month later bam looks who's back. I thought they at least showed how he survived specfiically and it wasn't like "oh let me climb out."

It was interesting there was a storm trooper in there, I imagine there's an entire EU story about that duder.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its not even unique to star wars comics routinely kill characters off "FOR GOOD THIS TIME!" and then like a month later bam looks who's back. I thought they at least showed how he survived specfiically and it wasn't like "oh let me climb out."

It was interesting there was a storm trooper in there, I imagine there's an entire EU story about that duder.

Filed under:
    Erotic (100k)
    Troopers, Storm (5k)
    - Tatooine (1k)
    - Living (900)
    - Dead
    - Tatooine (100
    - Sarlac Pit (50)

Non-Erotic (100)
    Troopers, Storm (6)

MichaelLC on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, this is the guy who has a successful tea franchise, right?

Preacher wrote: »

If its an EU character than odds are he got three novels, two comic book appearances, a 14,000 word entry on wookiepedia, and an action figure.

• Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    Et tu, 3PO?

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Et tu, 3PO?

Hey, Threepio is just translating.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Uh, the old Expanded Universe rewrote that canon back in the 90's, then The Mandalorian repeated it for the Disney canon. Now there's a new show about old man Boba Fett.

Personally, Boba Fett looked cool but was kind of meh in the original trilogy. However, the old EU had a bunch of fun material which made me like their takes on the character.

The Mandalorian, as can be expected of a very good show, did a good job of reintroducing him IMHO.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Uh, the old EU rewrote that canon back in the 90's, then The Mandalorian repeated it for the Disney canon. Now there's a new show about old man Boba Fett.

Personally, Boba Fett looked cool but was kind of meh in the original trilogy. However, the old EU had a bunch of fun material which made me like their takes on the character.

The Mandalorian, as can be expected of a very good show, did a good job of reintroducing him IMHO.

And the new show has done a good job so far humanizing him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Being European, it's never going to not throw me off for a sec when I see the initials "EU" used in the Star Wars context.

Anon von Zilch on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    In the Legacy books, it was a short story about Boba Fett in the Sarlacc's many fanged maw having a discussion with...the Sarlacc. Or maybe a victim digesting in its stomach. Or maybe Boba Fett's own hallucination from being very slowly eaten alive.

Either way, he manages to blow himself out of there by tricking the voice, and Dengar manages to find him and it ends with Boba Fett promising to be the best man at Dengar's wedding. I'm not making that up.

YL9WnCY.png
    Sterica wrote: »
    In the Legacy books, it was a short story about Boba Fett in the Sarlacc's many fanged maw having a discussion with...the Sarlacc. Or maybe a victim digesting in its stomach. Or maybe Boba Fett's own hallucination from being very slowly eaten alive.

Either way, he manages to blow himself out of there by tricking the voice, and Dengar manages to find him and it ends with Boba Fett promising to be the best man at Dengar's wedding. I'm not making that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_BNTN0z7U

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I remember hearing on some podcast or something (I really wish I could remember where) that in the run-up to Empire's release there was a big marketing push to put Boba Fett's face out there as the new badass villain of Star Wars, mostly in an effort to draw focus from Vader being back so that people wouldn't figure out the big twist. Like yes, Vader is back and chasing down our heroes, but look, he had to bring in this 3rd-party badass dude with a sweet helmet! He's got like two lines but one of them is him giving attitude right to Vader's face mask! He's so cool he captured Han Solo!

Then the movie came out and people just focused on the Vader/Luke twist and didn't think much about how the only thing Fett did in the movie was take a couple potshots at Luke and be smart enough to hide in some garbage (admittedly smarter than the Empire). So there had been all this build-up of Boba Fett being a badass, and it kinda just stuck around.

anyway I have no idea if that's true or not. But it amuses me to think that when they were making Jedi the studio was probably like "everyone loved Boba Fett! We have to bring him back!" and Lucas being like "okay, he didn't really do anything, but... I guess we can stick him in an early action scene and then kill him off so he's not mucking up the rest of the plot."

My headcanon is that there was something defective in the cloning process (and/or a Multiplicity situation). This explains Boba Fett's general ineptitude in Jedi, as well as the original stormtroopers. Even when they moved away from using clones for stormtroopers, the new stormtroopers were trained by the (defective) veteran clones, in other words basically not trained at all.

I think the whole "Stormtroopers are bad at their jobs" thing is a meme. It's been a while since I've watched the OT, but the only scenes of true Stormtrooper ineptitude that I remember was during the Death Star escape in the first movie, and even that was part of an intentional plan to let them escape so they could track the Millennium Falcon back to the Rebel base. Obi Wan even mentions how accurate (actually he uses the word precise) Stormtroopers are when he and Luke come across the Sandcrawler massacre.

An argument could be made about the troops stationed on the forest moon of Endor getting defeated by a small group of Rebel commandos and a bunch of Ewoks, but to be fair it was a surprise attack by a numerically superior force using guerilla tactics who were well camouflaged and operating on their home turf. I'd rate that more as a tactical error on the Empire's part (lets leave the security of the shield generator protecting out unfinished giant battlestation in the hands of a few dozen guys, what's the worst that could happen?). Not sending reinforcements once the battle started could have also been some 5D chess move by the Emperor since he already knew the Rebels were up to something and had anticipated their assault on the shield generator but didn't react because he was trying to lure Luke into his throne room. Being able to trade up from the half man/half vending machine Darth Vader to a new, young, extremely force sensitive apprentice was worth risking a half built Death Star for.

As for Boba Fett bumbling around like a complete doofus during his last scene? I like to think he was drunk.

These are not the excuses you're looking for.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    There's not a Star Wars fan in existence who accepted Boba Fett dying in the Sarlaac as an absolute truth. This has literally been talked about for decades now.

Now we're getting to see all those gaps officially filled in. It doesn't matter what someone wrote in a short story 30 years ago about Boba Fett. We now have the official canon playing out.

Disney is the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars.

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    There's not a Star Wars fan in existence who accepted Boba Fett dying in the Sarlaac as an absolute truth.

I did.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    There's not a Star Wars fan in existence who accepted Boba Fett dying in the Sarlaac as an absolute truth. This has literally been talked about for decades now.

I don't recall having any attachment at all to Boba Fett when I was a kid. When he went in that pit I didn't give him a second thought. lol

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
    Yeah, I accepted the movie's explanation that that's a bad place you go to die. I gave no more thought to him dying in it than any of the other chumps that got knocked in.

edited January 2022
    I mean, if you go just by the movies, Boba Fett is low-key *bad* at his job.

Vader looks and points directly at him when he says "no disintegrations", which you think would be obvious for someone who probably wants to have a body, living or dead, as proof of their bounty.

He figured out Solo's trick, and figured out he was going to Bespin, but they both worked for Jabba so that's less good detective work and more knowing your co-worker's habits. And that's assuming that the Empire didn't already know Solo (who was an Imperial Navy washout after all) and his associates and figured he'd go to Bespin anyway.

And then he gets pwned by a blind guy.

OctoberRaven on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think the whole "Stormtroopers are bad at their jobs" thing is a meme. It's been a while since I've watched the OT, but the only scenes of true Stormtrooper ineptitude that I remember was during the Death Star escape in the first movie, and even that was part of an intentional plan to let them escape so they could track the Millennium Falcon back to the Rebel base. Obi Wan even mentions how accurate (actually he uses the word precise) Stormtroopers are when he and Luke come across the Sandcrawler massacre.

An argument could be made about the troops stationed on the forest moon of Endor getting defeated by a small group of Rebel commandos and a bunch of Ewoks, but to be fair it was a surprise attack by a numerically superior force using guerilla tactics who were well camouflaged and operating on their home turf. I'd rate that more as a tactical error on the Empire's part (lets leave the security of the shield generator protecting out unfinished giant battlestation in the hands of a few dozen guys, what's the worst that could happen?). Not sending reinforcements once the battle started could have also been some 5D chess move by the Emperor since he already knew the Rebels were up to something and had anticipated their assault on the shield generator but didn't react because he was trying to lure Luke into his throne room. Being able to trade up from the half man/half vending machine Darth Vader to a new, young, extremely force sensitive apprentice was worth risking a half built Death Star for.

As for Boba Fett bumbling around like a complete doofus during his last scene? I like to think he was drunk.

As you alluded to, precision = tight grouping, as opposed to accuracy = hitting where you want to

So maybe they were all great marksmen but their rifles had shitty sights

And yeah, Endor is basically Viet Nam

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I just had to go back and watch a 10 year old clip which summarizes this pretty well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYge8MJTN0

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I mean, if you go just by the movies, Boba Fett is low-key *bad* at his job.

Vader looks and points directly at him when he says "no disintegrations", which you think would be obvious for someone who probably wants to have a body, living or dead, as proof of their bounty.

He figured out Solo's trick, and figured out he was going to Bespin, but they both worked for Jabba so that's less good detective work and more knowing your co-worker's habits. And that's assuming that the Empire didn't already know Solo (who was an Imperial Navy washout after all) and his associates and figured he'd go to Bespin anyway.

And then he gets pwned by a blind guy.

What I'm hearing is that Boba Fett is a Will Ferrell role?

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    The only explanation Boba Fett surviving his ordeal ever needed was right there on the pages of Dark Empire.

"The sarlacc found me rather indigestible, Solo."

But it wouldn't be Star Wars if either the creative leads or the fandom were content to leave it at that.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    The sarlaac was built up as a guaranteed death sentence...for bound prisoners thrown in. So it's totally reasonable just from the information presented in RotJ that an armed and armored soldier that happened to fall in could fight their way out.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I'm not sure how anyone could be confused as to how he got out of the sarlaac pit when he went in wearing a jetpack.

It's not described as a quick death. Fett would've had time to regain his senses after being launched into the side of the sail barge, after which he probably just rocketed out.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

It's not described as a quick death. Fett would've had time to regain his senses after being launched into the side of the sail barge, after which he probably just rocketed out.

How would they know it, though? I mean there's very few species who even survive around a thousand years in the Star Wars canon, and Jawas and Tusken Raiders are not among them. Did they chuck another Hutt in there with a wire? More realistically the whole "you will feel pain for a thousand years" bit is just to torment the condemned before you off them, like making someone dig their own grave.

Furthermore, that jetpack is probably not very reliable if a blind guy randomly smacking it by accident can cause it to misfire and go out of control. Hell it might not even be functional when Fett wakes up.

edited January 2022
    It doesn't need to be 'literally a thousand years', if it's anything longer than several hours, then it's probably enough time. And if it digested or masticated its prey quicker than that, than I don't think there would be folklore about how slow and agonizing the death is.

Your second argument feels like a big reach. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue the plausibility of it, this isn't the Expanse, it's Star Wars. The series about wizards, wild west cowboys, and world war 2 aircrews in space? The idea that it was still functional is more believable than R2 surviving that hit he took during the Death Star run. By the rules of drama, if you're told in one scene that people die very slowly in the giant pit, then you see a character fall in wearing something that would make it easy to get out, and their death isn't shown on-screen, then you shouldn't be surprised if they show up again later.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the OT doesn't portray him as bad at his job; he outsmarts everyone in catching Han, he's not afraid of anyone, and the cinematography treats him as cool/intimidating. The film also pays him basically the biggest compliment it can in making him the only character other than Luke and the Emperor who Vader shows any regard for. Vader routinely chokes people to death for talking back to him but when Fett demands his intact bounty Vader basically goes 'ugh, fine.'

he gets knocked into the sarlacc pit in RotJ because he's about to take a shot at Luke; shit's always going right for Luke like that because he's the Perfect Starchild of Destiny and dumb luck is his superpower.

also I mean, Fett's wearing what we're meant to understand as the best combat/survival/environment suit available; being dousing in stomach acid is probably no picnic but he's pretty well equipped to survive for at least a while.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • mtymty Registered User new member
    No one here read the books? He used a thermal detonator to get out of the Sarlacc.

Ran across this recently:

zwh3nodh7ri0.png

It's from George Lucas: A Life.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    the OT doesn't portray him as bad at his job; he outsmarts everyone in catching Han, he's not afraid of anyone, and the cinematography treats him as cool/intimidating. The film also pays him basically the biggest compliment it can in making him the only character other than Luke and the Emperor who Vader shows any regard for. Vader routinely chokes people to death for talking back to him but when Fett demands his intact bounty Vader basically goes 'ugh, fine.'

he gets knocked into the sarlacc pit in RotJ because he's about to take a shot at Luke; shit's always going right for Luke like that because he's the Perfect Starchild of Destiny and dumb luck is his superpower.

also I mean, Fett's wearing what we're meant to understand as the best combat/survival/environment suit available; being dousing in stomach acid is probably no picnic but he's pretty well equipped to survive for at least a while.

Boba doesn't get into a ton of action in the OT but the scenes he's in convey a lot. The first movie did a lot to build up Vader as a bad news space wizard and then non-super human Boba Fett is walking side by side with him in Return after previously having to tell Fett to take it easy on the killing people with excessive force. ROTJ did him dirty but to be fair very little of the non-vehicular action in the OT looks that great and having Fett be more active may not have ended up looking good. Vader and Obi-wan's duel has been compared to two old men tapping at each other with glowy canes and the shootouts are also pretty cheesy.

A lot of the best aspects of the OT were what it made us imagine could happen in that setting and that its characters could do more than what we got shown on camera.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772