As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Also they now have a smoking gun in him lying on the declaration. They now have every right to toss him out.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well they’re dragging their feet over Djokovic. They’re citing due process is why Hawke hasn’t made a decision over cancelling his visa which is a hilarious thing to cite in the current circumstances.

Maybe they’re going for maximum pettiness and doing it the day before the Open?

More likely, they’ll drag their feet until the media gets boredthere is some other evidence of catastrophic ineptitude they need to try and distract people from.

I mean the main draw doesn't start for what, 6 days? More than enough time for this government to fuck something up badly (or for previous fuckmuppetry to come to light).

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Realised today that the ACT stopped contact tracing a week ago.

Or at least, exposure locations have stopped being updated publicly on the website and the check-in app, and we've been advised to inform other people we've been around if we find out we're Covid-positive.

Cannot rationalise sending my kid to childcare any more, so guess we're in lockdown.
    He was already out because caseloads are stupid high, but I had thought contact tracing maybe could have prevented teachers and kids from coming into the childcare.

discrider on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I'm not terribly impressed with NZ's tracing at the moment. It takes over a week for new locations to pop up on the official locations of interest when you've already heard about it through the grapevine. Hypothetically, if I was at that location and caught it, I'd be a week and a half into my infection and spreading it all over the place before I knew. And that's with Delta, let alone Omicron. Shutting the gate long after the horse is bolted.

Gvzbgul on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    is this even with the app and bluetooth? or just human tracing?

The "locations of interest" lists that are put out each day. Yesterday's updates date back to the 4th, 7 days ago.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The "locations of interest" lists that are put out each day. Yesterday's updates date back to the 4th, 7 days ago.

The default sorting on the MoH locations of interest is by when they were added, not the date of exposure - it looks like on the page, the majority of locations are added with about a 3 - 4 day lag time to the latest of each group added. The latest for example is on the 9th of Jan, and was added on the 12th of Jan. If they're going through locations and adding them after a person gets sick, and tests positive, or was found as a contact of someone who did, I'm not really sure how you get that time lag consistently lower, tbh.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty sure that's always been the case? the LoI is updated after contact interviews. if they can't contact a person, or that person can't remember where they've been and they haven't been scanning in everywhere, it can take some time I'd imagine.

Like, it's not great, but it's not new.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    So, Perrottets way of getting reported numbers back under control is people must report positive RAT tests retroactive from 1 January on their new web portal or face $1000 fine.

And this is enforcable... how?

-Loki- on
    edited January 2022
    So, Perrottets way of getting reported numbers back under control is people must report positive RAT tests retroactive from 1 January on their new web portal or face $1000 fine.

And this is enforcable... how?

Edit: Actually, this was unnecessarily irritable. It doesn't look like this is enforcable, but is basically just asking people to do it, with in theory a punishment for not doing so, which isn't really uncommon for strategy in asking people to do things in this pandemic.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    NZ is wholly incapable of dealing with a mass covid outbreak. From the health system, to the track and trace program, to accomodation resources for an expanded managed isolation (if required). NZ will be totally fucked if omicron gets loose. I was due for some elective surgery, this the fuck knows when that will get done now. My wife is going to give birth to our first child at the end of March; we are now considering home birth, because who the fuck knows how plague ridden we will be by then

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    yeah.

Omicron getting through is just.

i'm getting nervous about it again. i was nervous in Dec 2019. feeling close to the same again.

We're good at small stuff but can't scale up at all as we still rely on manual tracing.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Now it appears that Djokovic may have falsified his December 16 positive result, meaning he didn’t have Covid in the last 6 months to get the exemption.

Now it appears that Djokovic may have falsified his December 16 positive result, meaning he didn’t have Covid in the last 6 months to get the exemption.

This is the greatest clown show on earth now.

Considering the false declaration on previous travel, he may be looking at jail time if they really want to push it.

I wonder if he will cut his losses and try to quickly sneak out on a flight.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I mean poetic justice will be if he catches COVID and it ends his tennis career dead. Which, you know, it's pretty likely to do if he's actually unvaxxed and unrecovered already.

The main thing is this hilarious incompetence on his part actually gives credibility back to the Australian government to easily save face.

But I await further twists to this tale.

Aegeri wrote: »
    The main thing is this hilarious incompetence on his part actually gives credibility back to the Australian government to easily save face.

But I await further twists to this tale.

The easiest response is 'this is why we asked for 2 more days'. The judge refused when they asked.

edited January 2022
    So he’s now posted on Instagram giving a timeline of what he was doing when he tested positive, saying he had a PCR test on December 16, then taking a RAT on December 17 which was still negative because he hadn’t gotten the results.

Except his sworn affidavit to the court said he was tested and diagnosed on December 26, and his test result showing the positive result on December 26.

Fucks sake dude, stop talking.

-Loki- on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So he’s now posted on Instagram giving a timeline of what he was doing when he tested positive, saying he had a PCR test on December 16, then taking a RAT on December 17 which was still negative because he hadn’t gotten the results.

Except his sworn affidavit to the court said he was tested and diagnosed on December 26, and his test result showing the positive result on December 16.

Fucks sake dude, stop talking.

No, keep talking!

At this point, I'm only interested in how deep he digs.

edited January 2022
    Oops changed a date on my post.

But yeah, I mean, keep talking certainly. Just meant stop talking if you don’t want your visa cancelled.

Every time he open his mouth he trips over more if his bullshit.

But it’s certainly entertaining.

-Loki- on
    Yeah he’s a grade A+ liar and I can swear he’s trying to provoke the Aussie government at this point.

PM after national cabinet:
    "Our objective is not to stop everyone from contracting Covid"

Also bla bla keeping supply chains flowing, bla bla be prepared for if you catch Covid: Health advisor.
    I'll get on my panic/preparation buying, I'm sure these won't contradict each other.

Apparently, they expect 10% absenteeism due to Covid illness, but an additional 5% if schools remain shut.
    So we have to keep schools open, no matter our lack of other Covid controls.
    Jokes on them, with the 4-5 day delay on PCR tests, lack of exposure notifications, and number of cases, I'm not sending my kid back to childcare no matter how many times they open and shut the building.
    Said childcare also was understaffed today apparently for mysterious reasons.

Also PM:
    "You're a close contact if someone in your household has Covid. Not if one of the crowd in front of me has it. Not at a restaurant or bar"
    Despite the fact that you're eating and maskless, and maybe indoors at a restaurant or bar.

I'm curious what will happen come schools reopening and 3 weeks later hospitals are full of sick kids?

Because the low hospitalisation rate has been helped immensely by this hitting during school holidays.

Suddenly putting unvaccinated kids back in the incubation chambers that schools are? It's going to get bad, and quickly.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I'm curious what will happen come schools reopening and 3 weeks later hospitals are full of sick kids?

Because the low hospitalisation rate has been helped immensely by this hitting during school holidays.

Suddenly putting unvaccinated kids back in the incubation chambers that schools are? It's going to get bad, and quickly.

"Who could possibly have forseen such a dramatic rise?"

That's what's gonna happen. Also, probably some blame for a group that the Prime Minister feels like marginalizing. Probably young people, what with their irresponsibility. Oh, and some deflection to the states, especially those with Labor Premiers.

That'll be the extent of it. Because actually doing something is hard, and Scotty don't get hard.

The worst part is we know Omicron is disproportionately hitting children compared to earlier strains. They may think we've hit the peak by the end of the month (we won't) but then putting kids back into schools will cause a new wave to pass through there.

So Scottys list of essential workers is

Everybody currently employed. Get your asses back to work and use your sick leave if you get Covid you lazy shits, I guess is his message?

Yeah.
    That projected 10% of people sick and not working?
    Unavoidable.
    Got to reduce restrictions so that businesses can still function with 10% of their employees sick.
    And small business just has to 'be prepared' for this.
    Unlike the federal government.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    That 10% seems like a dramatic underestimate to me. I personally know of several businesses who have had at least half of their staff off from either actual 'rona or having to isolate because of exposures. My gf's vet clinic had to operate last week with just five staff available out of their usual 20, and anecdotally I'm seeing a lot of shops that would usually have a team of people having just a single overworked employee holding the fort.

Anyway, get your boosters, wear your masks and take whatever precautions you feel you have to, because clearly we're entering the "personal responsibility" aka "fuck it, you're on your own" phase of this thing.

Also:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jan/13/code-red-melbourne-businesses-say-omicron-wave-more-damaging-than-lockdown

YOU DON'T SAY!

Mr Ray on
    NSW businesses are saying the same thing. Supply chain issues, staff shortages due to people having Covid, the public effectively going into a soft lockdown since theyyou know, don't want to catch this and no government support is making times worse than the Delta lockdown for businesses.

The party that's apparently so awesome at managing the economy is doing their best to utterly ruin it.

NSW businesses are saying the same thing. Supply chain issues, staff shortages due to people having Covid, the public effectively going into a soft lockdown since theyyou know, don't want to catch this and no government support is making times worse than the Delta lockdown for businesses.

The party that's apparently so awesome at managing the economy is doing their best to utterly ruin it.

The thing is, everyone told them this and IMO as a business owner during the 2020 outbreak and lockdowns, we did pretty damn well for the most part (tourism style industries excepted of course). Letting the virus run rip and cause problems was always going to be worse than encouraging it to not run rampant, but still give consumers confidence and reason to purchase products (online and otherwise). Now you have no infrastructure to deliver things, no support for customers to go out to spend and businesses lacking staff to do anything.

But oh woe is us in the government, who could have predicted this would be worse.

Novac's visa has been cancelled.
    "Mr Hawke said he cancelled the visa on "health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so"."

edited January 2022
    They waited for as long as possible to do so as well. They basically did the equivalent of “Fuck around and find out” with him. I don’t think he’ll get away with it this time: With the admission of being infected and attending interviews while maskless, plus lying on his entry form he’s screwed this time.

Aegeri on
    It’s Groundhog day.

Again.

I'm very much 'Let them fight'.
    But it's still late Friday release so they don't have to front the media until Monday.

From what I’m hearing he can make an argument that he’s a diplomat since he has a diplomatic passport, but that might prevent him from working so he won’t be able to play.

Which would be hilarious.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    hope he's been using his practise time in the last couple days to practise holding this L

Is there even a grounds for appeal on a Ministerial decision?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Is there even a grounds for appeal on a Ministerial decision?

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/cancelling-a-visa
    Appeals wrote:
    If we refuse or cancel your visa, you might be able to request a review of our decision. You cannot appeal a decision if it was made by the minister personally.

The independent Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) is responsible for reviewing departmental decisions including visa cancellation decisions.

To seek a review by the AAT, you must lodge your application by the date specified in your decision notification letter.

For decisions that are to be reviewed by the AAT, the AAT cannot extend the time for making a valid review application. You must apply for review within the time period identified in the decision notification letter.