As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Tv meta

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2022 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Tv meta

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    wat

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Def gonna need the newspost for this one. Though I can say that I love seeing my sensei boys in panel two.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Maybe it's about streamers getting busted for watching shows on stream?

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Maybe it's about streamers getting busted for watching shows on stream?

this -- the current "Twitch Meta" is streamers (particularly large ones) watching TV shows on stream and "reacting" to them. a few high profile ones have been hit with temporary bans in the last week. so I guess it's not the meta anymore.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it safe to watch a movie/show on a stream as long as you don't actually show the movie/show on the stream? I've seen some Youtubers do watchalongs of movies, with timestamps to show people when to start.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it safe to watch a movie/show on a stream as long as you don't actually show the movie/show on the stream? I've seen some Youtubers do watchalongs of movies, with timestamps to show people when to start.

I believe that is fine, but for some reason streamers are doing the "actually rebroadcasting stuff" thing.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I don't do twitch but the impression I get with streamers is there's an attitude that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially when your request for forgiveness includes "look how much money I make for you".

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    "Cartoons are rarely aired live, it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists"

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »

In fact you can even join PA's Josh Price for Dinner Party movie night on Mondays. With that, if you have an Amazon Prime account you can sync up your movie with his automatically. There's nothing from stopping you from starting your own play of it outside Prime. Though god help you if you miss the start time. :biggrin:

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Is this the Metaverse everyone is talking about?

• Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    AntonNUL wrote: »

I'm pretty sure no. But I am very confused why it's called "TV Meta". "Meta TV" would make sense -- you're watching people watching TV. But "TV Meta"?

Odd how Tycho assumes we're all aware of what's going on on Twitch. I only have a Twitch account because it was needed at one point to sign in to D&D Beyond.

Powers &8^]

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    It took me three hours to draw this comic.

That's so relatable, it's almost scary.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »
    But I am very confused why it's called "TV Meta". "Meta TV" would make sense -- you're watching people watching TV. But "TV Meta"?

Odd how Tycho assumes we're all aware of what's going on on Twitch. I only have a Twitch account because it was needed at one point to sign in to D&D Beyond.

Powers &8^]

Well, in gaming "the meta" is the current most popular/dominant strategy. Like, the meta in Pokémon TCG might be to use Mew VMax decks all the time, or less specifically to use fast decks that try to win as soon as possible, or what have you. You could say we have a Mew VMax meta at the moment. So in Twitch, you could say the current meta is to rebroadcast TV shows, as that brings in the most viewers, so a lot of people are doing it; you could call it the current TV meta.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Showsni wrote: »
    But I am very confused why it's called "TV Meta". "Meta TV" would make sense -- you're watching people watching TV. But "TV Meta"?

Powers &8^]

Well, in gaming "the meta" is the current most popular/dominant strategy. Like, the meta in Pokémon TCG might be to use Mew VMax decks all the time, or less specifically to use fast decks that try to win as soon as possible, or what have you. You could say we have a Mew VMax meta at the moment. So in Twitch, you could say the current meta is to rebroadcast TV shows, as that brings in the most viewers, so a lot of people are doing it; you could call it the current TV meta.

And the comic name changed too. It's now "Metatron". Which in case you don't know is the angel who serves as the voice of god. Portrayed in popular culture by Curtis Armstrong and Alan Rickman. In Supernatural and Dogma respectively.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    AntonNUL wrote: »

I'm pretty sure no. But I am very confused why it's called "TV Meta". "Meta TV" would make sense -- you're watching people watching TV. But "TV Meta"?

Powers &8^]

Jerry and Mike don't "assume" anything. They just write about what's going on in their lives and the pop culture they consume, without being didactic. If they had to explain everything someone might not know in the comic, it would cease to be something I'd want to read. Better to do it the way they do. Jerry almost always explains it in every single newspost. If you don't get it and you want to get it, you simply be a little patient and wait for the newspost. Like this one, where Jerry explains it in the very first sentence.

Penny Arcade is not a mass market webcomic. Does such a thing even exist? I think they still print strips in the newspaper which is supposed to contain "jokes" which anyone can get without knowing anything about anything. You can probably find them online. I'm sure they are as funny as they've ever been.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    Theres so many words there, i'm waiting for that laptop picture to tell me why this is paused for so long though? How long do they usually leave the show paused in this comic? Please free show me?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I meta for sex, but turns out she was not in my region or country.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

If you can't get the TV meta in the comic, get the comic meta on the TV.

(tweet from nobody I recognise showing a 'Penny Arcade' arcade machine in the first episode of Peacemaker)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    And to summarize the twitter thread, there's also:
    * a Kemper cookie cutter
    * a Hamster Hawk plush (at one time sold on the PA Store)
    * AcqInc intro playing on a TV
    * a poster in his trailer that says 'Visit the town of a thousand holidays!" (from Kris Straub's Broodhollow)
    * Mike said, "We sent some stuff over a very long time ago. It’s so cool to see it pop up in the show!"