As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Ok I'm nearing the end of Heavensward. And...
    I'm at the meeting of the nations talking about the defense of Gridania. And as Kan-E-Senna is talking in the cutscene, one of her guards, right next to her, LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE Dark Warrior Dood that just got sent back to his world, minus the cool dark outfit and bloody axed. This is very off-putting and I demand a reskin now! :biggrin:

Heavensward spoilers (Banzai, you're safe to read this)
    It doesn't help that another of her guards looks almost exactly like Haurchefant, and I always get sad when I see him...

My character
    looks very much like Haurchefant, and I've had people ask several times if it was intentional. It wasn't! I made my character look as close to my FFXI character as possible, it just so happens that they apparently did the same thing for Haurchefant.

Honestly, it kinda lessened the impact of that characters scenes for me, because it was more distracting than anything. It was still a good arc, but I don't think I ever formed quite the same connection a lot of players did.

Even though, to other players, my characters visuals indicate otherwise. :lol:

I wonder how many players have had similar experiences with other NPC's?
    Not exactly the same, but my GF, who is absolutely tired of being told to smile by men IRL, was completely taken out of the scene by "a smile better suits a hero". I told her the dialog is the same if you're playing as a male character, but the damage was done.

Delzhand on
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I have no idea if it would be feasible to do, but if a DPS queue was looking to be long, I'd love to see it give you the option to switch to a tank or healer job (if you have one), but give you a token that you can turn in for XP on your DPS job after successfully completing it.

Yeah, I've had that exact idea several times. I'd also like to queue as several roles/jobs, sometimes I just want to do something and don't care what I'm doing it as.

Perhaps a new xp cluster or something you can buy with the ones you get now. Being able to swap which class gets the xp is one of the reasons frontline is my favourite roulette.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I'm at the meeting of the nations talking about the defense of Gridania. And as Kan-E-Senna is talking in the cutscene, one of her guards, right next to her, LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE Dark Warrior Dood that just got sent back to his world, minus the cool dark outfit and bloody axed. This is very off-putting and I demand a reskin now! :biggrin:

It doesn't help that another of her guards looks almost exactly like Haurchefant, and I always get sad when I see him...

My character
    looks very much like Haurchefant, and I've had people ask several times if it was intentional. It wasn't! I made my character look as close to my FFXI character as possible, it just so happens that they apparently did the same thing for Haurchefant.

Honestly, it kinda lessened the impact of that characters scenes for me, because it was more distracting than anything. It was still a good arc, but I don't think I ever formed quite the same connection a lot of players did.

With the exception of my hair being green, my character looks just like G'raha Tia. Same eye color, same eye tat things.

steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Earlier today I did a dungeon with my long-lost twin.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

was this supposed to include a pic

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

My character

With the exception of my hair being green, my character looks just like G'raha Tia. Same eye color, same eye tat things.

I think what caught me by surprise so much was that they do try and make the main cast of characters unique, or at least as far as I can tell. Then they surround them with what seems to be randomly generated chars from the creator, thus giving them no sort of uniqueness.

50433.png?1708759015
    spent some of my built up resources and a bit of gil tri-to-pentamelding my gear and went into a ex2 farm group to test out the new stats

56abhh2w5ioq.png

well okay then

admanb wrote: »

was this supposed to include a pic

More of a statement, ain't got time for photo ops when I'm pulling wall to wall.

Oh look I did get a shitty one.

65trruzfb2lc.png

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i dunno they seem a little short

liEt3nH.png
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

I think I've only encountered a twin twice so far in the game. Once was a NPC for some quest that used the exact same face and hairstyle I use, but the hair was a different colour(my character is a redhead. I think the NPC was a blonde). The other time was just recently doing a main scenario roulette. One of the tanks and I had the same face, nearly the same hairstyle, with the same colour.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm surprised at how few clones of my viera I've seen given that I went for a fairly generic Fran-clone look, and veira don't have very many hairstyles to pick from so chance of duplicates is higher than most races.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    That's why I use the face markings on my Viera - almost nobody uses them, and they make her stand out. I also think they make her look older, which I think is a big problem with most of the Viera faces; not looking old enough.

qs7ow0uqibuz.png

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    This hair and ear combo seems relatively rare too in my experience.
    3iMWbwz.jpg

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It's quite an aerodynamic ear configuration

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I don't see many viera with the flop ears, now that I think about it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Bad news: My trip abroad got cut short due to 5 of the 25 people in my group catching COVID :(

Good news: I guess I'm back on my free trial bullshit! Wheeeeee.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finally beat the Endwalker MSQ (I was only playing it when I streamed).

I really liked it, but I wasn't emotionally crushed like so many others seemed to be.
    I had no problems with the idea of the Scions dying... it's not that I hate the characters (although some are definitely more fleshed out than others), but rather that it would fit with the idea that this is a definitive end to this portion of the FF14 story. Once Y'Shtola reminds us that we have the Hydaelyn powered Crystal of Azem, all tension in the ending section goes away. We have our reset button literally in hand.

I would also say that each sacrifice just sort of... happens. There's not much in the way of build-up, and outside of Thancred's, they all happen the same way. They're all just "Hi, I <character>, believe in <defining character trait>!" Which isn't bad, but it isn't really moving, either. I think it would've been better if the 'deaths' were spread out throughout the expansion, specifically to make the Final Days feel more impactful rather than something limited to two new zones. It also would've given more impact to those 'deaths'. Having them all undone in about an hour, all in the same zone, really undermines their impact. I literally laughed when Alisaie was like "I hope you appreciated our sacrifice!" You were 'dead' for literally 5 minutes, and the plan was to resurrect you after the final path was open (although, that brings up another thing... how do the resurrected feel about death now?).

I was disappointed that Hien was completely absent. I can't help but wonder if there was some Far East content that was left on the cutting room floor. Given that all the other leaders had at least a small cameo, it's weird that he wasn't anywhere to be seen.

I do like that the expansion was laser focused on existential questions. It's definitely not the first FF game to go down that path (VI and X immediately spring to mind), but it was a nice change of pace for this game specifically. Zenos definitely fit better here than in Stormblood, where he was a round peg trying to fit a square hole.

Rather than being teary-eyed or sad, I was just pumped up. We defeated Zodiark and Hydaelyn. We saved the planet from utter destruction. We learned a ton about the ancients and the game's setting on the whole. Everyone is still alive, because we (with Hydaelyn's help) outsmarted the enemy. The Scions are officially (but not really) disbanded, with the intent of becoming adventurers again rather than the world's Justice League/Avengers that governments call on to fix their problems. There's still a ton of planet left to explore. Zenos is, presumably, dead. The game's meta commentary has provided decent, if not particularly original, reasons to continue living/fighting/striving to make things better. Everything is coming up Milhouse.

I'm hoping for a time skip. Like, 5-10 years. Let the twins grow up, let the Scions change and grow. Ditto for the political reality on the ground. I'm also hoping for new characters to enter the mix. No more Ascians is nice, though.

Nightslyr wrote: »

I really liked it, but I wasn't emotionally crushed like so many others seemed to be.
    I had no problems with the idea of the Scions dying... it's not that I hate the characters (although some are definitely more fleshed out than others), but rather that it would fit with the idea that this is a definitive end to this portion of the FF14 story. Once Y'Shtola reminds us that we have the Hydaelyn powered Crystal of Azem, all tension in the ending section goes away. We have our reset button literally in hand.

I would also say that each sacrifice just sort of... happens. There's not much in the way of build-up, and outside of Thancred's, they all happen the same way. They're all just "Hi, I <character>, believe in <defining character trait>!" Which isn't bad, but it isn't really moving, either. I think it would've been better if the 'deaths' were spread out throughout the expansion, specifically to make the Final Days feel more impactful rather than something limited to two new zones. It also would've given more impact to those 'deaths'. Having them all undone in about an hour, all in the same zone, really undermines their impact. I literally laughed when Alisaie was like "I hope you appreciated our sacrifice!" You were 'dead' for literally 5 minutes, and the plan was to resurrect you after the final path was open (although, that brings up another thing... how do the resurrected feel about death now?).

I was disappointed that Hien was completely absent. I can't help but wonder if there was some Far East content that was left on the cutting room floor. Given that all the other leaders had at least a small cameo, it's weird that he wasn't anywhere to be seen.

I do like that the expansion was laser focused on existential questions. It's definitely not the first FF game to go down that path (VI and X immediately spring to mind), but it was a nice change of pace for this game specifically. Zenos definitely fit better here than in Stormblood, where he was a round peg trying to fit a square hole.

Rather than being teary-eyed or sad, I was just pumped up. We defeated Zodiark and Hydaelyn. We saved the planet from utter destruction. We learned a ton about the ancients and the game's setting on the whole. Everyone is still alive, because we (with Hydaelyn's help) outsmarted the enemy. The Scions are officially (but not really) disbanded, with the intent of becoming adventurers again rather than the world's Justice League/Avengers that governments call on to fix their problems. There's still a ton of planet left to explore. Zenos is, presumably, dead. The game's meta commentary has provided decent, if not particularly original, reasons to continue living/fighting/striving to make things better. Everything is coming up Milhouse.

I'm hoping for a time skip. Like, 5-10 years. Let the twins grow up, let the Scions change and grow. Ditto for the political reality on the ground. I'm also hoping for new characters to enter the mix. No more Ascians is nice, though.
    Maybe it's a genre-awareness thing but I never read them as "sacrifices" and I don't think you were supposed to. One of the running themes of EW is about what you -- the WoL -- goes through and what's asked of your companions. For me, the build up to that moment was about how readily they were all willing to give themselves up not knowing if they would ever come back, and in the end it wasn't "oh no, all my friends are dead" it was "oh, I'm alone now." That's what made the slow walk up the steps so effective.

And yeah, Shadowbringers was arguably tragic, but Endwalker isn't tragic at all -- it's exultant.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Nightslyr wrote: »

In regards to someone:
    Hien's around, the physical ranged DPS quest checks in with what's going on in Doma. It's pretty great.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The check in p4s is definitely no joke in week 2 unless you were fed loot. We can definitely get there, but there's so much going on when you want to burst and you really DON'T want to hold for long

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The check in p4s is definitely no joke in week 2 unless you were fed loot. We can definitely get there, but there's so much going on when you want to burst and you really DON'T want to hold for long

The door boss check, or the second one? Haven't seen enrage on second phase yet, but the door boss was VERY tight - we only made it by a second on our first clear.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Both were by about a second for the people who cleared, though honestly it might be easier to get screwed by the door boss, depending on what Pinax is doing

Javen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Regarding Hien and also the other faction leaders:
    They are all absent from the main Endwalker story, but they are not absent from the game. Each of the role quests checks in with a region and helps them with their Final Days problems. Definitely do one or all of the role quests, because they are great.

This is where a lot of the worldbuilding and exploration of the Final Days all over the world happens.

The role quests aren’t mandatory for the MSQ, but they are vital to getting “the whole picture.”

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    They are all absent from the main Endwalker story, but they are not absent from the game. Each of the role quests checks in with a region and helps them with their Final Days problems. Definitely do one or all of the role quests, because they are great.

This is where a lot of the worldbuilding and exploration of the Final Days all over the world happens.

The role quests aren’t mandatory for the MSQ, but they are vital to getting “the whole picture.”
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what the capstone does.

That said, I think the tank role quest is a bit weak. And ShB healer role quest is still better than all of them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

That said, I think the tank role quest is a bit weak. And ShB healer role quest is still better than all of them.

There is not
    a capstone, at least as of now.

I have a recollection that they said there wouldn't be this expansion either, but I could have just made that up.

I completed them all a couple days ago, there's nothing at the end.

Which, honestly, given their purpose in this expansion, vs Shadowbringers, is fine. The quests themselves are meant to be capstones of their respective city-states remaining struggles.

And to varying degrees of satisfaction, they do that well enough.

If they ever do more healer job/role quests, they have to fix their NPC "party" systems, because half, or more, of most healers toolkits don't work with the NPC's, at all, and it makes the stuff either mind numbingly boring, or frustrating. If they can't figure out a way to make NPC's be party members for the needs of your spells, then do something different.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »

There is not
    a capstone, at least as of now.

I have a recollection that they said there wouldn't be this expansion either, but I could have just made that up.

I completed them all a couple days ago, there's nothing at the end.

Which, honestly, given their purpose in this expansion, vs Shadowbringers, is fine. The quests themselves are meant to be capstones of their respective city-states remaining struggles.

And to varying degrees of satisfaction, they do that well enough.

If they ever do more healer job/role quests, they have to fix their NPC "party" systems, because half, or more, of most healers toolkits don't work with the NPC's, at all, and it makes the stuff either mind numbingly boring, or frustrating. If they can't figure out a way to make NPC's be party members for the needs of your spells, then do something different.
    I don't recall them saying there wouldn't be, but the big capstone quests for the ShB role quests weren't added until later so if there's going to be we probably won't see it for a while anyway.

Donnicton on
    started P2S prog in PF
    we were consistently making it to second Overflow with a couple clean Kampeos pulls, but we only made it past Overflow #2 once (with healer LB iirc) and died to Predatory. Fight seems very manageable though. One of our tanks was... pretty bad (how many times do you have to get hit by Cataracts before you figure out where you can stand in melee range?) and there are a lot of spots in that fight where one death kills everybody.

the weird thing about that fight is how slow it is. I think because during the high water phase there's no way to position so you can get everywhere quickly, which means all the mechanics have very slow timers. So there are a bunch of complicated mechanics, but once you know what you're supposed to do they feel like they take forever to resolve. It's like every mechanic is a Fourfold Chains from P1S.

anyways, seems like a fun one that shouldn't be too bad to finish up and reclear in PF.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, I still need to do all of the role quests. Not looking forward to doing healer's. Healing on a controller is kinda... clunky. Although, it will give me an excuse to unlock and level up Sage. I have a Scholar that's level 80, but that's due to Summoner, and I like learning new jobs.

In any event, I need to finish leveling up Reaper. Have it at 85 now. It's super fun, IMO, and will likely be my new main. At least, until/unless they make a Runeblade/Mystic Knight job.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Runeblade or Spellblade would be amazing. Celes is one of my favorite FF characters ever, so if they can figure out how to turn her into a full XIV job, that'd be amazing.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Yeah, that would be a great new tank for sure. They showed up in XI eventually.

admanb wrote: »
    started P2S prog in PF
    we were consistently making it to second Overflow with a couple clean Kampeos pulls, but we only made it past Overflow #2 once (with healer LB iirc) and died to Predatory. Fight seems very manageable though. One of our tanks was... pretty bad (how many times do you have to get hit by Cataracts before you figure out where you can stand in melee range?) and there are a lot of spots in that fight where one death kills everybody.

the weird thing about that fight is how slow it is. I think because during the high water phase there's no way to position so you can get everywhere quickly, which means all the mechanics have very slow timers. So there are a bunch of complicated mechanics, but once you know what you're supposed to do they feel like they take forever to resolve. It's like every mechanic is a Fourfold Chains from P1S.

anyways, seems like a fun one that shouldn't be too bad to finish up and reclear in PF.

and that's down! Joined a Duty Completion party that was very chill and we were consistently hitting 2-5% enrage despite having to use healer LB every pull we got there (people kept messing up the last overflow) and killed it in exactly one lockout + one pull. I like that fight quite a bit.

sadly, if we had just killed one pull earlier we would've killed on the pull where while resolving
    Kampeos/limit cut

I left to turn off my oven timer and got back before the boss was targetable.

gamer moves

YOOO THIS LINE WAS VOICED
    L4B4tzq.png

IT IS NICE TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED [/continues to DRG only thru Heavensward MSQ even tho I hit 60 so I'm EXP locked until I give them money] [which I will not until I've exhausted all the free trial stuff because I'm Like That]

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I've learned there is a triple triad NPC in FFXIV locked behind blue mage quests which is I think the rudest thing possible.

Edit: OH NEVERMIND THERE'S ONE BEHIND THE IXALI QUESTS HOLY SHIT THAT'S THE RUDEST THING

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    I've learned there is a triple triad NPC in FFXIV locked behind blue mage quests which is I think the rudest thing possible.

Edit: OH NEVERMIND THERE'S ONE BEHIND THE IXALI QUESTS HOLY SHIT THAT'S THE RUDEST THING

If you like those, you'll love the ones locked behind a dozen or so of hours of Eureka grinding.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular

Yeah, the hardest part of getting all the TT cards isn’t actually getting them, it’s doing the content the cards are behind. For me, I did all that content, which is why I’m now only missing 4 of the cards (including protag cards).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Can you not see the TT cards if you haven't played any TT yet? I'm actually max rank with the Ixali and I didn't see a card there, and in fact I have never seen a card.

If you like those, you'll love the ones locked behind a dozen or so of hours of Eureka grinding.
    I'm going to shit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Can you not see the TT cards if you haven't played any TT yet? I'm actually max rank with the Ixali and I didn't see a card there, and in fact I have never seen a card.

What like, never seen them as drops in dungeons or trials either? I guess if you've never unlocked it, it's possible.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    unless you mean the card icons for NPC players? Which I think you do need to do the quest to unlock those markers.

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.