As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Chocobo racing if you've got a real good bird, battle arena if you've got a good materia setup

There's a guy who'll randomly appear at the tram entrance who'll trade GP for gill if you've got a lot of extra.

i need GP to fight in the arena.... isn't the Arena a sink for GP?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you wager GP but you make more back if you win a lot

BahamutZERO.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    you wager GP but you make more back if you win a lot

is that a disk 2 onward thing?

When i tried it on Disk 1, it was a flat fee and i just got BP back.

oh... ok I don't remember
    you might have to do the battle arena to get BP for omnislash now that you mention it

BahamutZERO.gif
    oh... ok I don't remember
    you might have to do the battle arena to get BP for omnislash now that you mention it

yep, that's how that seems to work.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    OH yeah, I was wrong. You get BP for winning in the arena and you use that to buy stuff like omnislash. It's been a couple years, sorry~!

Also...(researching, researching) you lose all BP when you leave the arena area, so if you want omnislash you're gonna have to get all the points in one visit.

Also something I didn't know is that the BP price for certain items goes down when you get the "boat" and again when you get the airship

Before you get the airship Ominislash costs 51,200 BP, and after you get it it costs 32,000

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    To get the big BP you have to finish every round (8 rounds?) to get like 12,000 BP if you're lucky.

The amount you get is more or less based on the handicap you get for the final fight, like a big final multiplier. You want to be losing access to green materia or something like that (yellow materia, all materia etc.). If you can't get that you might end up with a disappointing BP amount like only 6000.

Depending on the platform you're playing on there should be a button you can press to make the spinning reels disappear for as long as you're holding it. While you're holding it the reels are paused, so you can continually tap it to slow down the reels and see exactly what you're going to get when you unpause and hit confirm. A little practice and you'll see what I mean and figure out how to pick your handicaps to always get the least bad ones.

If you don't have a Ribbon yet, wear a White Cape (I think) and always try to get frogg'd. Have Enemy Skill and open with Big Guard to get Haste and reuse it for the barriers as needed.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2022
    It’s more getting the big GP to buy in and get the big BP.

But thanks for the tips.

21stCentury on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Chocobo Racing to get GP, and BP is easiest to get if you've already done some chocobo breeding and have the Mime materia.
    Go in with Mime, a Ribbon and a full limit break and you can just mime your limit break over and over again (maybe open with Big Guard or Haste first).
    That's usually enough to brute force your way through all the rounds. Broken accessory or losing yellow materia are the only penalties that can really mess up that plan, so at that point it's down to your judgement on if you can get through it or not.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Chocobo racing if you've got a real good bird, battle arena if you've got a good materia setup

There's a guy who'll randomly appear at the tram entrance who'll trade GP for gill if you've got a lot of extra.

i need GP to fight in the arena.... isn't the Arena a sink for GP?
    Don't forget the shady guy by the Gold Saucer entrance who will sell you GP for Gil. He spawns randomly next to a building or sign off toward the upper-left.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, in the room with the arrival cable car, you have to go in and out of the doorway until you see a tiny guy off in the distance who will sell you GP, just a few at a time but still faster than any other method. 15% chance he will be there every time you go in and out.

He only starts showing up after you have the Highwind though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    i'm at the point where i would normally go fight Surfin' Rot in FF7 but i think i'll stick around and try to get the ol' wepons down.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh I forgot to post this the other day.

No idea where it was originally posted so I can't link just the video but hot DAMN.

Stranger of Paradise combat clip, showing a bunch of jobs including some new ones. Looks AMAZINGLY fun. Like serious, check this shit out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/rxsz4u/i_have_not_seen_this_before_square_really_needed/

I will say I find it more distracting than usual how every hit on the enemy restarts the same stagger animation over and over. Noticed it and couldn't stop noticing it.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    What probably takes longer on average after beating the game, downing the emeralds and ruby weapons (I assume with kotr) in ff7 or the omega weapon in ff8? I never did the latter when I first played it, I think because it seemed more daunting.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Septus wrote: »
    What probably takes longer on average after beating the game, downing the emeralds and ruby weapons (I assume with kotr) in ff7 or the omega weapon in ff8? I never did the latter when I first played it, I think because it seemed more daunting.
    Depends on how cheap you want to get, since you can give yourself unlimited limit breaks and total invulnerability against Omega Weapon pretty easily.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    FFVIII just gives you way more resources to win. Depending how much you want to cheat.

For Emerald and Ruby it felt like you straight up had to cheat.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    But if I recall, once you have auto use Phoenix and kotr that kind of solves each of them?

For FF8 do the easy options above involve triple triad? Because I never invested in that in my finished game.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot to post this the other day.

No idea where it was originally posted so I can't link just the video but hot DAMN.

Stranger of Paradise combat clip, showing a bunch of jobs including some new ones. Looks AMAZINGLY fun. Like serious, check this shit out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/rxsz4u/i_have_not_seen_this_before_square_really_needed/

I could do without the 'turn enemies into red crystal and break it' finishers. Would be more cool to have finishers centered around what your current job does, IMHO. Also, the persistent rice krispies background sound got grating after a while.

But this is a much more appealing video than the "CHAOS!?" trailer.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    For FF8 do the easy options above involve triple triad? Because I never invested in that in my finished game.
    Ah, so you're playing in Hard Mode?

The easy options pretty much all use refining, but I think there are non-card ways to get the busted items. Cards just tend to give 100 busted items at once.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

Since I played a lot of Triple Triad in FF8, beating Omega Weapon was just a matter of using a few consumables id been hoarding.

FF7 on the other hand, I did not have the right materia maxed and was bored by the grind to obtain it.

So my completely biased and unscientific opinion is FF8 is a quicker grind.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Emerald and Ruby are actually pretty easy and not that long of a fight with the right strategies, buuuuut you have to have a certain minmaxing type of mind to figure that out without just looking those strats up on the internet like I did.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited January 2022
    trick for Ruby
    Ruby Weapon is vulnerable to paralyze status. I think the Hades summon, cast or linked with an added effect materia, is the main way to apply that? Emerald I don't remember a trick for.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    i got a Green/Blue breeding pair of chocobos. Hurrah!

I could probably use Baha's trick on Ruby and get a free golden chocobo, though.

I could probably use Baha's trick on Ruby and get a free golden chocobo, though.

It probably wouldn't matter to you by that point, but if you intended to keep racing, as I remember the gold chocobo you get for beating Ruby has relatively terrible stats compared to one you breed yourself (though mine were usually worse than the black chocobo I already had).

Also, PSA; if you're trying to breed a gold chocobo, pick the black one first when you pair them up. Due to a bug, if you pick the other one first you never get a gold (as far as I know, this was never fixed).

klemming wrote: »

It probably wouldn't matter to you by that point, but if you intended to keep racing, as I remember the gold chocobo you get for beating Ruby has relatively terrible stats compared to one you breed yourself (though mine were usually worse than the black chocobo I already had).

Also, PSA; if you're trying to breed a gold chocobo, pick the black one first when you pair them up. Due to a bug, if you pick the other one first you never get a gold (as far as I know, this was never fixed).

is there more to racing rewards-wise than small amounts of GP? I only raced C-rank so far.

Some of the higher rank items can be pretty handy (I think there are a few good accessories in there like Haste Rings). For GP grinding, higher rank items tend to translate to much better GP values though, so you can get like 150GP in one race.

Also, higher rank chocobos may get higher stats? They definitely have a better chance of producing a special chocobo when bred (I think S-rank chocobos are guaranteed to produce a special with the right combination. I've never known them to fail, at least).

Heck yeck, i have the black chocobo down.

All that's left is to race a bunch and catch a last one.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Google, why you promoting obvious fakes

xrlz68eo4jjm.png

i got both the 4 Lost Materia and Omnislash, something i never ever did before.

Then i got in a fight with Ruby Weapon, dealt 0 damage and got TPK'd.

trick for Ruby
    Ruby Weapon is vulnerable to paralyze status. I think the Hades summon, cast or linked with an added effect materia, is the main way to apply that? Emerald I don't remember a trick for.
    The Dazers item also causes paralyze, can be stolen from enemies and W-item'd.

For Emerald, Lucky 7s is a viable strategy. Have characters with 9,999 HP while equipped with 2 materia (HP Plus being an easy choice), then Emerald's Aire Tam Storm will knock them down to 7,777 because it does 1,111 damage per equipped materia.

Forget it...
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The worst thing to ever happen to me was getting lucky 7s against a pot. It's just a basic attack over and over and they are immune. It ends eventually but it took a LONG time.

i decided the weapons are too much of a hassle seeing how very little XP all enemies give.

So i beat FF7. GOD I forgot the ending. it's ME3 levels of unsatisfying. I cannot believe people were kind to this game at the time.

Replaying last year, I thought all of Midgar, and the first couple of towns chasing Sephiroth after were really solid. Everything after that was disappointing, other than reliving my nostalgia. I found the materia system very limiting, and it seems like the plot just meanders for a large middle chunk. I preferred it to 9, but preferred 8 for having a pretty solid driving motivation until the end with the switcheroo, and more satisfying game breaking abilities.

Replaying last year, I thought all of Midgar, and the first couple of towns chasing Sephiroth after were really solid. Everything after that was disappointing, other than reliving my nostalgia. I found the materia system very limiting, and it seems like the plot just meanders for a large middle chunk. I preferred it to 9, but preferred 8 for having a pretty solid driving motivation until the end with the switcheroo, and more satisfying game breaking abilities.

i found the Materia system really cool but it's a shame it only opens up at the very end.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    i decided the weapons are too much of a hassle seeing how very little XP all enemies give.

So i beat FF7. GOD I forgot the ending. it's ME3 levels of unsatisfying. I cannot believe people were kind to this game at the time.

And yet somehow people convince themselves that Advent Children was a step down.

And yet somehow people convince themselves that Advent Children was a step down.

It is.

Advent Children is a godawful trashfire.

Whoever the characters are in that thing, they sure as fuck aren't the ones from FF7.

Forget it...
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    FF7 is more gamey. Chcoboo Hot and Cold in FF9 gets more elaborate though.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I would love an entire game based around hot&cold

This discussion has been closed.