As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    The hills grow more numerous!

This is taking a looooooong time. Every bit of 3 days so far for 5 pieces of scenery. Granted, the printer hasnt been running for 72 straight hours, but its been a couple 11 hour prints, a 13 hour and a couple 4 hours. Worth it so far now that ive sorted the clogging problems with the matt PLA.

OQbTzFZ.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Which STL are you using, @HydroSqueegee ?

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Which STL are you using, @HydroSqueegee ?

these are the desert hills stl pack from steelwarrior. Im currently in the process of attempting to chop the 3d models apart and into different smaller shapes. But they do stack pretty well for making different shaped hills. Just need a billion of them to get a nice hilly landscape. I've plowed through about 1/3 of the spool so far with 8% filler on the prints and .2mm layers.

kx3klFE.png
    and voila! A single hex cliff hill. This is why i love their stuff. No talent hacks like myself can make their own terrain that looks good by chopping up others works.

YR62eEI.png

kx3klFE.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Seen in isolation like that, they have sort of a dental impression quality. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    And 43 minutes later, a physical piece. Seems like a long time to make one little hex piece. So far the bigger ones have been around 35-40 minutes per hex per level.

re7OFbt.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Question.

I picked up Campaign Ops and it’s quite the heavy reading! However, I’m kinda stuck on what a Chaos Campaign actually is, and how Tracks work.

From what I understand, some sourcebooks have good examples of Chaos Campaigns and Tracks. Can anyone recommend a book to start with or clarify these rules? I’m intending to custom-build a campaign some point soon.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The Chaos Campaign (maybe outdated with the CO update?) and Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars books are available for free on DriveThruRPG. Check those out.

I've read the CC rules a couple times, and they have always struck me as maybe just a smidge tough to grok. There's a lot of moving parts, and maybe it's me but I don't feel like it explains itself very straightforwardly.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Question.

I picked up Campaign Ops and it’s quite the heavy reading! However, I’m kinda stuck on what a Chaos Campaign actually is, and how Tracks work.

From what I understand, some sourcebooks have good examples of Chaos Campaigns and Tracks. Can anyone recommend a book to start with or clarify these rules? I’m intending to custom-build a campaign some point soon.

I love Campaign Ops! A Chaos Campaign is just a series of engagements that play out over the course of a, well, Campaign. These can be as simple as the Linked Scenarios (p.134) or go crazy in depth with a narrative campaign in the vein of an RPG with hooks (p.160). Or even a number cruncher where you earn warchest points for winning objectives and spend them between engagements for repairs, new equipment etc. before moving on. I honestly think the linked scenarios is the easiest way to start it. Look at the diagram on page 140 to kind of get an idea of how it all works. You have a force, you get your next engagement depending on what happens on a win/loss, you pick your forces to deploy, fight, win/lose, repeat. There are a ton of good sample objectives to build off of on page 170.

kx3klFE.png
    Nips wrote: »
    The Chaos Campaign (maybe outdated with the CO update?) and Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars books are available for free on DriveThruRPG. Check those out.

I've read the CC rules a couple times, and they have always struck me as maybe just a smidge tough to grok. There's a lot of moving parts, and maybe it's me but I don't feel like it explains itself very straightforwardly.

The Succession Wars PDF was exactly what I needed! You’re right; The issue was clarity in the Campaign Ops book.
    Question.

I love Campaign Ops! A Chaos Campaign is just a series of engagements that play out over the course of a, well, Campaign. These can be as simple as the Linked Scenarios (p.134) or go crazy in depth with a narrative campaign in the vein of an RPG with hooks (p.160). Or even a number cruncher where you earn warchest points for winning objectives and spend them between engagements for repairs, new equipment etc. before moving on. I honestly think the linked scenarios is the easiest way to start it. Look at the diagram on page 140 to kind of get an idea of how it all works. You have a force, you get your next engagement depending on what happens on a win/loss, you pick your forces to deploy, fight, win/lose, repeat. There are a ton of good sample objectives to build off of on page 170.

Also helpful, thanks!! I agree that the book was a great buy, the only issue I had was the overall murkiness of the stuff within.

Campaign ops is pretty scattered and heavy handed with the content. Once you know the rules a bit does it really make sense and shine.

kx3klFE.png
    edited January 2022
    Another day, knocking a few more off the shrinking* backlog of Project Build All The Things.

First up, a Crab earmarked for the Marian Hegemony. It's been brought up to more modern standards with a bit of trimming of the leg bits, and the swap to a much improved set of arms.

Wa3ZRnyh.jpeg

Next up, the first from the Tukayyid Reclamation Project, some salvage that I managed to get working again. It's in pretty good condition, with only a little bit of work! Unfortunately I've lost the schematics to my Mk. 1 OMNIFIST, so I'm going to have to design a new one before I can replace that missing right hand.

KJE7RU5h.jpeg

And of course, in my excitement to put it together, I derped into the Hero Shooting Pose. Gonna have to avoid that on the next model.

Of the salvage bits, this was probably both the most complete and least prep-intensive set I could pick out. I've got another Knight picked out in much less good shape, and two Stormcrows that will both need sets of arms. So off to FreeCAD I go!

*Is it really shrinking if I keep adding to it? 😭

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hey, I recognize those Crab arms.

I have a pair somewhere...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    https://youtu.be/DzOMNbNllJE

Since I will take any opportunity to talk lore here is some context and background for the song.

For starters, the Pope in question is a fan submitted character for that Crowd Funding reward and is now canon. During the Dark Age the Combine attacked the FedSuns and conquered New Avalon. They executed most members of the New Avalon Catholic Church. The Pope in the song was the leader(?) of the Knights Defensor of the NACC and assumed the Pope-ship leading forces against the Combine. Pretty cool stuff honestly.

What about the OG Catholic Church and how does it relate to the New Avalon Catholic Church, you may ask. Well that is a fun one. The Roman Catholic Church still exists and is still quite popular throughout the Inner Sphere. The New Avalon Catholic Church is mostly centered in the FedSuns where it enjoys a position of prominence. There is no ideological or theological difference between the two. They are exactly the same. The "split" occurred by accident.

Way back during the Amaris Civil War the Pope in the Vatican was pretty damn sure he and the rest of the Cardinals would be executed by Amaris's regime eventually. So he sent out a message to the five Cardinals that were in charge of the Catholics in the various Star League member states. The message told them to basically hold the faith and to eventually elect a new Pope themselves. However, the message that went to the Cardinal in the FedSuns was corrupted and the Cardinal thought that the message told him that he specifically was now in charge on the Catholic flock. So he got to work reconstituting the Catholic faith centering it on New Avalon assuming the Vatican was lost. Communications during this time were, well, mostly non-existent apart from ferrying messages by hand.

It wouldn't be for some time after the end of the Amaris Civil War that the Catholics of the Inner Sphere would return to the Vatican and elect a new Pope, but by this time the New Avalon Catholic Church was well established. The NACC Pope refused to step down and the split was cemented.

While the relations between the two were initially a bit rocky and would continue to be a bit passive-aggressive, both sides still consider Sacraments given by each other to be perfectly valid. ie: If you were a member of the NACC dying on some battlefield and a Roman Catholic priest was the only one available to give you your Last Rites it would be considered no different than if they were a NACC priest. Or vice-versa.

edit- To clarify a bit more. The Clergy themselves are the ones who have the rocky/passive-aggressive relationship. When it comes to the everyday faithful both sides consider them good Catholics and do not discriminate.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited January 2022
    Space Pope is real.

Space Pope is good.

All praises to Space Pope!

Also, you left out the most important details: HIS PERSONAL MECH WEARS A MITRE AND CARRIES A MECH-SIZED CENSER.

It must be true, I saw it on Space Facebook!

PFNRSuhh.jpeg

Nips on
    edited January 2022
    Oh yeah the Mech in question is a Regent, Assault OmniMech.

One of the new designs from the ilClan Recognition guide. It doesn't have a mini yet, but rest assured I am making a Pope-mobile as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Probably got a censor and a Pope hat in my pile o' warhammer bits somewhere.

Axen on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    His mech should've been a Crusader. Missed opportunity.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2022
    The idea that Mechs in service to the NACC (and maybe RCC) have almost certainly been literally Blessed is a concept that makes me smile more than it should.

edit- Oh man, now the idea that there is no way there isn't some Holovid movies about Priests in Blessed Mechs fighting Satan Spawn existing in Battletech has entered my mind.

Axen on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    That is one of those things where you look at history and go “yeah, okay, I can buy this is a thing that happened.”

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The idea that Mechs in service to the NACC (and maybe RCC) have almost certainly been literally Blessed is a concept that makes me smile more than it should.

edit- Oh man, now the idea that there is no way there isn't some Holovid movies about Priests in Blessed Mechs fighting Satan Spawn existing in Battletech has entered my mind.

Battletech's version of Doom is slightly more metal than Doom 2016.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I wonder if it’s some kind of visibility thing? It’s easier to know what’s outside in the open air than inside, maybe?

Sounds good.
    If you're in a mech inside a building, presumably you got there intentionally to ambush another mech who doesn't realize you're in said building.
    That's a bit of a problem with TT games though, it's really hard to do stealthy sneaky things when all players have a god's eye view of the table.

In the late 90's I ran a large (6v6 players each, 2 mechs per player) at a local convention. I ran the game across two tables separated by a screen with the same map and terrain placement. I borrowed spotting rules from some other military game, which basically boiled down to being a piloting check with modifiers for range and cover. It made the lights on each team incredibly important as they had the best piloting skill pilots (because players wanted their best gunners in their heaviest mechs).

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

The idea of the Pope's mech being an unseen is additionally appealing.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh yeah the Mech in question is a Regent, Assault OmniMech.

One of the new designs from the ilClan Recognition guide. It doesn't have a mini yet, but rest assured I am making a Pope-mobile as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Probably got a censor and a Pope hat in my pile o' warhammer bits somewhere.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Since the Regent is a Clan-tech remake of the Hauptmann, it got me thinking. There never was a Crusader IIC. How's this?

Crusader IIC
    Base Tech Level: Standard (Clan)
    Level Era
    Experimental -
    Advanced -
    Standard 3100+
    Tech Rating: F/X-X-D-D

Weight: 70 tons
    BV: 2,456
    Cost: 17,927,407 C-bills

Movement: 5/8/5
    Engine: 350 XL
    Double Heat Sinks: 14 [28]
    Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 107 (Endo-Steel)
    Armor: 217/217 (Ferro-Fibrous)
    Internal Armor
    Head 3 9
    Center Torso 22 33
    Center Torso (rear) 11
    Right Torso 15 23
    Right Torso (rear) 7
    Left Torso 15 23
    Left Torso (rear) 7
    Right Arm 11 22
    Left Arm 11 22
    Right Leg 15 30
    Left Leg 15 30

Weapons Loc Heat
    ER Medium Laser RA 5
    ER Medium Laser LA 5
    ATM 6 RT 4
    ATM 6 RA 4
    ATM 6 LT 4
    ATM 6 LA 4
    Flamer RA 3
    Flamer LA 3

Ammo Loc Shots
    Extended-Range ATM/6 Ammo RT 10
    Extended-Range ATM/6 Ammo LT 10
    High-Explosive ATM/6 Ammo RT 10
    High-Explosive ATM/6 Ammo LT 10
    Standard ATM/6 Ammo RT 10
    Standard ATM/6 Ammo LT 10

Equipment Loc
    Active Probe [Clan] HD

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Iirc second line mechs rarely have the trifecta of XL/FF/ES.

Also I'd go 2x ea ATM-9, ATM-3, MPL, ERSL.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    The Regent while an OmniMech is kinda, sorta, not really a Clan Mech but is an IS Mech sort of-kind of.

FWL and Lyran's produce the chassis, Sea Foxes arm it and then they sell it to the IS.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Oh boy, new gaming store opened in town and they already had four other people before me asking about Battletech! Gonna introduce the owners to my big bag o' robots on Saturday and play a game with one of the local groups on Sunday.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    My brother and I are gonna be playing at a FLGS again on Wednesday, and so far we've run into one whole person who knew what Battletech was. Maybe someday we can catch someone's attention with some rad robots.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My experience has been that as soon as mechs hit the hex sheet you’ll have an audience of people who either knew what BattleTech is and thought they were the only fans in the area or people who are “wow, cool robots!”

Or both!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I am a terrible person and forgot this thread existed despite being on stream for the past few weeks walking a friend through playing Battletech in various ways (Alpha Strike/Original Recipe Tabletop/Extra Crispy Flechs Sheets style). I had some serious rust to shake off because lolcovid kinda killed my BT adventures but hot damn is it good to be back in the saddle, and on a regular basis to boot!

Last time we fiddled around with Mechwarrior Destiny a bit, played a match, looked at the book more and realized we totally fucked up and missed the hilaaaarious perks for Total Warfare, and vowed not to repeat that mistake cause god damnit, I wanna play an Annhilator with long range specialist and weapon specialist (AC/10). The after battle reports since we got going with this have been hilarious too. During the old school match I charged his Awesome with my Locust and ended up critting the Awesome into being permanently knocked on his ass. Course, the next match he did the same thing to my Atlas with a Mist Lynx, scoring an ammo rack kill. I had just headshot his Dire Wolf with an AC/20 too.

He also happened to get me an airbrush for Christmas and after trying it out today I finally have a way to paint mechs that doesn't make me want to eat my own face. Say hello to the hero Locust that beat the shit out of an Awesome and is the first thing I've ever had fun painting and am happy with the result!
    lb5vd445f413.jpg

It's a little chunky but that wasn't the airbrush's fault. That thing was buttery smooth. That's just from this being from when I first tried to paint mechs and used a rattle can to do a batch prime like a dumb dumb and oversprayed it a smidge.

I kinda wanna get a shit ton of tanks to do a meme tank fight for a stream but am not sure what the best source of those are these days. Is it still just Iron Wind?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Oh, and Mechwarrior Destiny is fucking delightful. It's very stripped down and much more focused on telling stories than on crunchy nonsense. Generating a character is super fast and mostly based on what you actually wanna make instead of what you wanna min/max. The conversion rules to use your character in tabletop are straightforward and you can even generate custom pilots strictly for tabletop use. 10/10, I was constantly impressed with it.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Destiny is exactly how I'd want an RPG if I was into RPGs, but I'm kinda not. However, my opposite Wednesdays we play Classic/RPG hybrid sessions in the city up north, and it's fine enough. Just wish I hadn't gone Clan just because Ghost Bears are neat, lots of RP nuts and bolts to dance around. These sessions also serve as the GMs vessel to have his beefed up super characters romp around so we feel like sidekick characters. But I still get to fire Gauss rifles at saps and headcap Mad Cat Mk2s with SRM carriers so, still fun.

Also this GM is our 3d print source for minis and he sells them for the CHEAPEST of dirt cheap, so, we're willing to hang around for a while. :D

That said, the Catalyst minis are sick and I can’t stop staring at the Nightstar.

edited January 2022
    That said, the Catalyst minis are sick and I can’t stop staring at the Nightstar.

I just wish they kept them going past the Kickstarter. It's hard to onboard new players when you've got all these super awesome minis but when someone asks where to get them you just gotta be like 🤷 for most of em. Makes it hard to draw in newbies and can make the game feel like a bit of an exclusive club.

In other news I just got Interstellar Ops in and this book is jam packed full of hilarious shit. You wanna make cyborg infantry squads? Roll out Veritechs LAM lances? Need AI rules for autonomous combat drones? Wanna drop a nuke on something? Yup, you can do it.

The abstracted combat systems for planetary scale combat are certainly a thing and idk if you can even buy official capital ship models to play out a space fight but there's rules for doing it.

One of my favorite things about Battletech is how modular and adaptable it is and this book is just some straight up kitchen sink shit. Glorious.

Now to track down hard copies of Tactical and Strategic Ops

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    The catalyst online store has been well stocked over the past couple weeks with force packs. I know this because I have been helping remove that stock.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah the mechs from the KS are starting to hit retail, you just gotta buy em online. Buuut if they have yours to look at, and you can easily link the KS posts of the artwork and models, then there ya go

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm sure the best method is to get QR code decals for all your mechs as a unit insignia. Just link it directly to the Catalyst store.

TOGSolid wrote: »
    In other news I just got Interstellar Ops in and this book is jam packed full of hilarious shit. You wanna make cyborg infantry squads? Roll out Veritechs LAM lances? Need AI rules for autonomous combat drones? Wanna drop a nuke on something? Yup, you can do it.

Oh, so it's the Word of Blake Manei Domini textbook. Cool.

edited January 2022
    Tox wrote: »
    Yeah the mechs from the KS are starting to hit retail, you just gotta buy em online. Buuut if they have yours to look at, and you can easily link the KS posts of the artwork and models, then there ya go

Oh that's good! At least they're rolling out for purchase for everyone else.
    Nips wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Oh, so it's the Word of Blake Manei Domini textbook. Cool.

Yeah, basically lol. They call them out specifically in the cyborg section along with the Belters and Thuggee Phanisgars.

Interestingly they outright say the only limitation on how far someone can be modded is time and c-bills due to it being wildly expensive and a pain in the ass to do so theoretically you could do some Johnny Mnemonic Street Preacher shit to one person and have actual rules to work with to scare the ever loving fuck out of your players.

Honestly this book feels like a great GM sourcebook for doing some super goofy shit in Mechwarrior Destiny or an extended Death From Above sorta campaign more than anything.

If you got the cash to burn it's a pretty fun read.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png