As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Also, the XM3/4s are just really, really, really good. Only real competition is Bose, and Sony's own in-ear buds.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Yes. I have Bose QC 35s and AirPods Pros and will wear the Bose 10/10 times on planes.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Apple Announces Self Service Repair Program.

That one made me blink and re-read.

The cynical take is going to be that they’re trying to head off right-to-repair legislation and perhaps that’s part of it, but to me it sounds more like a novel approach to hardware servicing. A lot of their rep for good customer service comes from the Genius Bar, but those can’t be everywhere. And since Jobs came back, they’ve kind of hated third-party sales and servicing. So, in that regard, it seems like an exercise in middleman avoidance: avoid the hassle the administering a network of certified repair vendors by selling straight to users.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the pricing for parts is like.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Figure this might be the place to ask

I’ve had an IPad (5th gen) since 2018. It came with a wall charger that uses a USB-A-to-Lightning cable. I plan to keep using the IPad for as long as it still works.

Recently I got an IPhone SE with a wall charger that uses a USB-C-to-Lightning cable

My question: is there any reason I can’t also use the IPhone cable to charge the IPad, since it’s a Lightning connection on the device end either way?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    knitdan wrote: »
    Figure this might be the place to ask

I’ve had an IPad (5th gen) since 2018. It came with a wall charger that uses a USB-A-to-Lightning cable. I plan to keep using the IPad for as long as it still works.

Recently I got an IPhone SE with a wall charger that uses a USB-C-to-Lightning cable

My question: is there any reason I can’t also use the IPhone cable to charge the IPad, since it’s a Lightning connection on the device end either way?

You're fine using either cable and charger with either device. So long as it's lightning going to the device it doesn't matter what the connection to the wall charger is.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The only possible wrinkle might be the charger itself not providing as much power as expected¹ but given that it’s an iPad charger and you’re using it with a phone, you should be fine.

¹ Apple are quite shy about telling you what their chargers output and what their devices need to achieve the claimed charging times. That said it won’t hurt anything, just be slower to charge.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The charger that came with your iPhone SE is almost certainly the 18W charger from Apple, where the charger that came with your iPad would be a 12W charger.

So your iPad will actually charge a bit faster with the charger that came with your phone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It definitely charges faster.

Also I was having an issue where an album I own on ITunes couldn’t be downloaded to the phone and I don’t know for sure but I have a sneaking suspicion it’s because they want me to sign up for Apple Music and fuck that I’ll just listen to that one on the IPad.

As far as I can tell it was just one particular album that had that problem.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Is it possible to get an iPhone 8 battery replaced through official channels, or are they no longer carried?

• Options
    august wrote: »
    Is it possible to get an iPhone 8 battery replaced through official channels, or are they no longer carried?

a quick trip to the apple website takes me here:

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

So, yes. looks like getting your iPhone 8 battery replaced by apple will cost $50.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    SO’s iPad air developed a massive crack last night. Is the 2020 ipad pro with 120hz worth $100 more than an Air? Reburbed Pro’s are $850 on apples site.

Edit: Also has anyone ordered refurbs from Walmart? They are one of the only to have Air refurbs available.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    SO’s iPad air developed a massive crack last night. Is the 2020 ipad pro with 120hz worth $100 more than an Air? Reburbed Pro’s are $850 on apples site.

Edit: Also has anyone ordered refurbs from Walmart? They are one of the only to have Air refurbs available.

How long can you wait? Heavy rumour of a new iPad Pro with the M2 chip etc our to be released this year, then the M1 Pro should drop in price and that would be more than worth it IMO.

• Options
    The cracked screen is bad enough I'm worried about her cutting her finger. Her Air is gen 1 so we were planning on an upgrade this fall but seems fate determined we can't wait.

• Options

iPad Pro has the quad speakers and 120hz display. While the iPad Air has a newer processor. Probably won't make much of a difference in day to day use, but might add some longevity to the device.

Depends on what you prioritize but I might personally go with the Air just because it's a newer product.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I bought a refurb 2020 iPad Pro back in August or September over a new iPad Air because I wanted the 120hz display and I felt even with a slightly older processor it was a better value. For my basic media consumption, non-gaming, and web browsing it's fantastic and in no way I can perceive is any slower at the same tasks than my iPhone 12.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    The single thing I'd be most attentive to in iPads is M-series vs A-series processor. The Pros are M-series, the others are varying generations of A. This probably doesn't make much difference, but the A series isn't going to be around forever and will eventually EOL in favor of the Ms, I expect. Whether this happens in a near enough future to be relevant, no clue, but it could impact something like OS availability in future.

Otherwise, just buy the one that fits your price/perf needs. I'd go Pro myself, but the new Airs are no slouch.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    The single thing I'd be most attentive to in iPads is M-series vs A-series processor. The Pros are M-series, the others are varying generations of A. This probably doesn't make much difference, but the A series isn't going to be around forever and will eventually EOL in favor of the Ms, I expect. Whether this happens in a near enough future to be relevant, no clue, but it could impact something like OS availability in future.

Otherwise, just buy the one that fits your price/perf needs. I'd go Pro myself, but the new Airs are no slouch.

Architecturally, the base M1 is probably more like an A14x than a whole new architecture. M1's CPU cores are really close to the A14, but they're running at a faster clock speed, there's more of them, and they have more CPU cache. The M1 SoC also has features that have been traditionally Mac-specific, like Thunderbolt.

So, nothing is ever certain but it seems likely the M1 and A15 will have roughly equivalent compatibility lifespans.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

Architecturally, the base M1 is probably more like an A14x than a whole new architecture. M1's CPU cores are really close to the A14, but they're running at a faster clock speed, there's more of them, and they have more CPU cache. The M1 SoC also has features that have been traditionally Mac-specific, like Thunderbolt.

So, nothing is ever certain but it seems likely the M1 and A15 will have roughly equivalent compatibility lifespans.

Probably. I think it'd be more of an "M-only" policy decision if anything. I'm just admittedly sensitive because I have managed to buy the last processor before EOL on an architecture SO MANY TIMES in my life. So many.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    htm wrote: »

Probably. I think it'd be more of an "M-only" policy decision if anything. I'm just admittedly sensitive because I have managed to buy the last processor before EOL on an architecture SO MANY TIMES in my life. So many.

Historically you are far better off getting the last of the old line than the very first of the new line of processors.

I have purposefully stayed away from the M-series stuff, even the M1 Pro Max Hyperfighting edition, because I suspect that M2 and M3 are going to be such a substantial step up with lessons learned from this first release that it will justify the buy then. And it's not like my 2019 Macbook Pro 16" with the i9 is a slouch by any means.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    We were hoping her iPad Air 2 would survive till this fall and hope for a refresh to grab. I've seen small crack grow in car windshields, but I've not seen it on a tablet or phone. Oh well, I just ordered a new Air. Stuff will always get better, so maybe in another couple gen's it'll be worth looking at upgrading again. Would be nice to see those HDR screens move down from the top end model.

• Options
    Any suggestions for a decently priced Pen?

• Options
    Any suggestions for a decently priced Pen?

The only official ones are the Actual Apple Pencil and the Logitech Crayon. The Crayon doesn't have all the features (less pressure sensitivity, no tilt detection, etc) but does work for basic tasks.

So your best bet is to just look for sales on the official one.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Does the new 5th gen iPad Air use the same cases as the 4th gen? I ordered one last night and need a case for it. A lot of listings on Amazon say 5th gen, but I've been burned by that before.

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Does the new 5th gen iPad Air use the same cases as the 4th gen? I ordered one last night and need a case for it. A lot of listings on Amazon say 5th gen, but I've been burned by that before.

Why not order it and if it doesn’t work send it back?

• Options
    Six wrote: »

Why not order it and if it doesn’t work send it back?

Because I'm sick and didn't think of it... :D

Thanks. I guess I'll let everyone know on Friday if it works or not.

• Options

They should, yes. The new M1 MacBook Air has the exact same dimensions as the 2020 model.

• Options
    I got both yesterday and it fits as expected. Thanks everyone.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

How is the new one?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

How is the new one?

It's quite nice. It's fast, and I haven't noticed any of the build quality issues that seem to be floating around. The screen isn't as nice as the Pro, but that's to be expected. The battery life so far has been fantastic. Overall, I have to say I'm quite happy with it.

That said, I'm not very deep into the Apple ecosystem, so I might not be the best person to give their impressions. My last tablet was a Surface Pro, although I did have an iPad Air 2 prior to that. I've never had an iPhone and I bought my first Mac in December after 30 years with PCs. Windows is still my primary platform, but the older I get the less I really care about "teams".

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Just for fun I dug out my iPhone SE (the first 2016 model), and... it updated to the latest iOS 15.

The screen has started yellowing a bit around the edges (looks worse on camera than with squishy eyeballs), but otherwise it's still perfectly fine.

And since I have a 13 Pro Max now, it feels hilariously tiny. The screen is almost a quarter the size of the Pro Max one. My brain tilted for a good 30 seconds before it readjusted.

b4lgae6xh6zw.png

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Just for fun I dug out my iPhone SE (the first 2016 model), and... it updated to the latest iOS 15.

The screen has started yellowing a bit around the edges (looks worse on camera than with squishy eyeballs), but otherwise it's still perfectly fine.

And since I have a 13 Pro Max now, it feels hilariously tiny. The screen is almost a quarter the size of the Pro Max one. My brain tilted for a good 30 seconds before it readjusted.

I still use a 2016 SE, it works fine. The battery can be annoying if it's cold out (it's had 1 replacement), but otherwise it's fine

Phone upgrades are overrated

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    anyone running out to buy an iPod Touch before the stock disappears? Officially the end of an era, though that really ended a couple years ago when the Classic and nanos was discontinued

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    anyone running out to buy an iPod Touch before the stock disappears? Officially the end of an era, though that really ended a couple years ago when the Classic and nanos was discontinued

no

• Options
    It is funny because I actually do have a 7th gen iPod Touch, and I bought it for a very specific reason in 2019. At the time I didn't own any Apple devices, and at my parents are all iPhone and iPad. I knew Apple stuff decently well but trying to talk my mom especially over the phone helping her find a setting/fix a problem without having a device to look at was troublesome. So I bought an iPod Touch to have on hand just to keep myself versed in iOS. I eventually picked up an iPad since Google spent years not caring about Android tablets so the iPod Touch became less necessary for that.

Nowadays it lives on the coffee table mostly as a smart home controller. I have all the streaming apps on it so we can use that to cast media to TV, it has the apps for our smart home controls (lights, thermostat) etc so they can be controlled from there. My significant other's dad will come walk/hang out with the dog occasionally if we both happen to be at work and it's farily useful for him as a remote control type device.

I'm not surprised the iPod Touch, and iPod at large is going away, but it is too bad. Some decent niche use cases for them that now don't have a good product in Apple's lineup. And while I think there might still have been a market for an iPod Touch at say, a $100 price point specifically as an entry into the iOS ecosystem, Apple clearly wasn't interested in changing the hardware anymore and I bet they just ran out of 4" displays and A10 Fusion processors.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My 2012 iPad 4 however only supports iOS 10.3.4. This is an outrage!

• Options
    I'm not surprised the iPod Touch, and iPod at large is going away, but it is too bad. Some decent niche use cases for them that now don't have a good product in Apple's lineup.

The most interesting use I’ve heard for them is that they were the perfect VoIP burner phones. They had no cellular hardware, so they generated no cellular meta-data. I don’t recall exactly who it was, but I remember reading an article about a Trump-adjacent lawyer in DC who had like… 8 iPod Touches that he used solely for communicating with his clients.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Kind of a weird scenario I’m hoping ya’ll can help with:

My wife received a fully-paid for IPhone 13 as a gift from her parents (bought through her carrier), but it’s too large for her. She’d like to pick up the 13 Mini (she’s using an original SE, so the size is the key factor here). Now, we opened the box on the 13 and activated it, so it’s no longer factory sealed, but she’s never signed in with her Apple ID, and cellular service remains with her SE.

What I’d like to do is sell the iPhone 13, and just pay the difference for a new Mini. The issue is that i’ve been hesitant to complete the setup process on the 13 for fear of accidentally killing her cell service on the SE. I can’t figure out if that’s an irrational fear or not because the broader internet is incredibly uninformative about this specific situation.

So: how would I go about making sure that a basically new iPhone 13, purchased through my wife’s carrier and under her account, is carrier unlocked without accidentally transferring her cellular service over in the process? I know about requesting an unlock, but does that require activating cellular service on the thing in the first place?

• Options
    while I don't know this for certain but I'm 99% sure all iPhones are sold unlocked.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    while I don't know this for certain but I'm 99% sure all iPhones are sold unlocked.

pretty sure that is not true. Carrier locked iPhones are still a thing here in the US and you have to get them unlocked after you own the device.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    A quick look shows that it really depends on the carrier, so that looks to matter. Verizon's website states that phones bought outright from them are locked for 60 days, and automatically unlocked after that.

t8uiz3v8wlit.png

So.. check with the carrier will be the answer.

And for the record, Apple's US website says that every phone they sell is unlocked, except for phones sold on AT&T installment plans. so again, check with the carrier. It is likely that is is unlocked, or will be unlocked.