As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm hoping after Multiverse of Madness goes full cosmic horror, future Dr. Strange stories can be more street level. Him solving local occult crimes a la Tex Murphy or Dresden Files.

They replaced the last director because he wanted to go horror with it, that' why we have Raimi now. Whatever it ends up being, it'll be as safe and sanitised as the rest of the MCU.

I'm really sad they replaced him, but the trailer definitely has a vibe of insanity. Raimi's not exactly a guy you call if you want things to be less weird or horrific, so I guess we'll see.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sam Raimi has made four of the best horror movies of all time, plus the best Spider-Man movie

I think we’re gonna be okey-dokie

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    I'm hoping after Multiverse of Madness goes full cosmic horror, future Dr. Strange stories can be more street level. Him solving local occult crimes a la Tex Murphy or Dresden Files.

Bring it full circle, he's a "consulting detective" to Blade who's trying to hunt something other than a vampire.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

They replaced the last director because he wanted to go horror with it, that' why we have Raimi now. Whatever it ends up being, it'll be as safe and sanitised as the rest of the MCU.

Nah, it's still supposed to lean horror and apparently has a rather impressive body count.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Didn't like eternals. Was just kinda lame.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »

Bring it full circle, he's a "consulting detective" to Blade who's trying to hunt something other than a vampire.

Maybe get someone like Wong in there too and form an Order or a Triad..

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

If true, this is fucking dumb. Might as well replace him with Wes Craven as opposed to the guy who gave us the Evil Dead and littered his Spider-Man movies with tons of shlocky horror bits.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    McRhyno wrote: »

Maybe get someone like Wong in there too and form an Order or a Triad..

I love you so much right now.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Watched the Eternals and enjoyed it for the most part. I felt like I was in a constant circle of confusion followed by an 'oh, ok' 10 or 15 minutes later. I think I'll enjoy it a bit more on a rewatch.

are we doing spoilers?

Just in case,
    My favorite part was Kingo at the end saying basically 'I don't know who is right in this situation so I'm sitting out and then he does! It was incredibly refreshing to see an insane situation from every perspective and actual characters actually sticking to what they believed in and not just all banding together to save the day!

things that aren't really spoilers but are my random thoughts:

what the heck is Sersie's power set? That's about the only thing I really didn't get. Is she just the engineering station on the Enterprise?

the fifteen seconds of Makkari fighting was better than every iteration of live action flash ever put to screen and DC should take notes.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Wife and I watched Eternals and we really liked it! I enjoyed all the characters, but Makkari and Druig stole the show with their chemistry. Gilgamesh and Kingo were also definite highlights. And Sprite.

Really looking forward to seeing those characters again. I’d particularly like a Makkari+Druig Disney+ series.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Watched the Eternals and enjoyed it for the most part. I felt like I was in a constant circle of confusion followed by an 'oh, ok' 10 or 15 minutes later. I think I'll enjoy it a bit more on a rewatch.

are we doing spoilers?

Just in case,
    My favorite part was Kingo at the end saying basically 'I don't know who is right in this situation so I'm sitting out and then he does! It was incredibly refreshing to see an insane situation from every perspective and actual characters actually sticking to what they believed in and not just all banding together to save the day!

things that aren't really spoilers but are my random thoughts:

what the heck is Sersie's power set? That's about the only thing I really didn't get. Is she just the engineering station on the Enterprise?

the fifteen seconds of Makkari fighting was better than every iteration of live action flash ever put to screen and DC should take notes.

Sersi can transmute stuff like an alchemist, I think? So any non-living matter into any other non-living matter.
    surprise she can do life too!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I feel like any arguments about logic for Dr. Strange are coming from a very silly place

it's literally "a wizard did it."
    A harder answer to give when the question is "Why didn't the wizard do [X]?"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I feel like any arguments about logic for Dr. Strange are coming from a very silly place

"A wizard is never late, Master klemming, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, because a refusal often offends"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Eternals
    Ikaris and Sersi also had zero chemistry and that was one of the worst sex scenes ever filmed. I can't believe it didn't get cut

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

I thought it was because you are crunchy and good with ketchup. Or was that dragons?

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I thought it was because you are crunchy and good with ketchup. Or was that dragons?

I imagine it was dragons

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was dragons.
    Wizards I thought was "...because they are subtle, and quick to anger".

But I imagine there are a wide variety of reasons why it's wise not to annoy the local wizard.
    6hlvxiwia6ie.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I imagine it was dragons

I've heard it both ways.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I imagine it was dragons

I've heard it both ways.

Not trying to be cute with references this time, but "Crunchy and taste good with ketchup" is dragons, "subtle and quick to anger" is wizards. The dragons one is an amusing take on the quote from Tolkein.

Orca on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I imagine it was dragons

I've heard it both ways.

Not trying to be cute with references this time, but "Crunchy and taste good with ketchup" is dragons, "subtle and quick to anger" is wizards. The dragons one is an amusing take on the quote from Tolkein.

I was going for this, but I'm probably the only nerd who got it

https://youtu.be/JE1fzk-4TJk

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

I imagine it was dragons

I've heard it both ways.

I was going for this, but I'm probably the only nerd who got it

https://youtu.be/JE1fzk-4TJk

What is that from?

*makes wooshing noises while waving a hand over his head*

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Wait until a possessed girlfriend stabs Strange in the achilles heel with a pencil and see how you feel about safe!

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I imagine it was dragons

Something something Maroon 5

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    We watched Eternals on Saturday. I really wanted to like it more but it felt really sloppy and boring. While not bad, it's probably at the bottom of MCU movies for me.
    They probably should have cut the entire Celestial birth thing and focused on the Deviants. Having 2 "bad guys" plus a dozen characters was just too much for 2.5 hours.

Not sure why they felt like they needed to do an Ironman 1, 2 and 3 all in 1 movie. Normally Marvel is really good about this, but there was just too much. Save the Celestial for the sequel and save the previous romance with Sersi and Ikaris for the sequel. Focus on the Deviants evolving, the death of the leader, and fleshing out all the characters in the group. The movie could have ended with Ikaris coming out as killing Salma Hayak to protect some massive secret setting up the sequel.

Even with that, the writing could have used some help. The "I'm done with Humans" because of the A-Bomb, was absolutely terrible, did the writer not finish History in high school or something? Marvel's usually been pretty good about "grounding" super hero powers for the most part. But here we have no idea why some Eternals can do what they do. Why is Ikaris superman and everyone else is at a much lower power level?

I really enjoyed Kumail and his valet though. I thought the casting was well done, they just didn't have much to work with. The score was on point as well.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I imagine it was dragons

I've heard it both ways.

"A refusal often offends" is Pratchett's version for wizards, just to continue the confusion

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Eternals was the worst MCU movie for me, but being the worst MCU movie is still at least watchable. Nothing clicked for me plot or character wise, plus the whole “non-interference” thing made them out to be complete twats.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah what's the difference between, stop this super villain and give them the plow?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Pailryder wrote: »
    yeah what's the difference between, stop this super villain and give them the plow?
    My guess is that it's because providing humanity with the basics of agriculture provides immediate and long term benefits (long term on an Eternal's time scale, not a humans) and progress toward the Eternals long term goal. Namely humanity developing enough mental energy or whatever to feed the celestial fetus enough for it to hatch.

Meanwhile, stopping a supervillain only provides short term benefits towards that plan. Sure, you save the population of a town, city, or a nation. But that's only going to cause humanity to develop the expectation that the Eternals are going to show up and save the day next time a Loki shows up with an alien army, or space elves show up to steal an Infinity Stone, or an Ultron tries to drop a city. The long term benefits of humanity dealing with a super villain on their own: new tech, new ways of thinking, a world coming together to face threats beyond what any one nation could stand against, outweigh the temporary benefits of a few million lives not lost, but only in the long game, the kind of game that the Celestials are playing and humanity isn't even aware that they're part of.

Of course, this is all guessing and head canon, but the mental energy that the Celestials feed on could be hindered by a humanity that never develops into their own potential because the Eternals kept showing up to save the day. If the Eternals keep shepherding humanity, does Hydra exist? SHIELD? With neither Hydra or SHIELD, where does that leave super heroes in the modern day MCU? If the Eternals keep showing up to prevent human death, wars are gone. And that in turn means no super soldier serum, no Red Skull, no pulling the Cube out of a Norse temple. Likely that means that Howard Stark never gets a look at the Hydra tech that develops into his Arc reactor. No prototype giant Arc reactor means no portable version for Iron Man, though the chances of Stark getting fragged by his own mortar while selling weapons in Iraq are probably minimal with the Eternal Baby Sitters Club making sure we all play nice and get along or Ikaris is going to blast us with eye lasers.

Of course, the Eternals mostly aren't aware of the long game either. They just know that god said "don't step up unless it's deviants", and when Arishem says "sit" the Eternals pull up a chair.

Sorry, I thought Eternals was open spoiler territory.

see317 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The Lex Luthor hypothesis

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Given what we see of Howard Stark, I posit that no matter the timeline Tony Stark will always manage to blow himself up at least a little bit with a bomb with his name on it.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    are we doing open spoilers for eternals now?
    like, we know from the deviants that arishem might not exactly be the most meticulous planner; he wants societies to grow to a certain population/tech level/whatever and as long as the eternals are doing the bare minimum to make that happen (i.e. not letting primitive humans all get eaten by deviants), well, mission accomplished. Once a stable, growing human society is established and the deviants are all gone a crew of eternals are apparently free to fuck around for the few thousand years it takes for the population to grow to the requisite size. If Arishem wanted to really maximize efficiency he could put druig and phaestos in charge but he doesn't, he just wants pest control taken care of and after that don't rock the boat.

which honestly might be why the snap was no big deal; like yeah it's a monkey wrench but assuming the world doesn't literally end the human population will probably grow back within 80 or 100 years.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like once a movie makes it to D+ it's fair game.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Well, for free. If it’s D+ Premium, no.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Well, for free. If it’s D+ Premium, no.

Yeah Black Widow was a unique situation, tho I would like them to offer that again given the state of things

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The strangest thing for me - and I realize this is INCREDIBLY nit picky and stupid - is that I can not believe Eternals referenced BOTH Batman and Superman.

It felt so strange and against my own will my brain started spinning up wondering if DC movies exist in the MCU.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The strangest thing for me - and I realize this is INCREDIBLY nit picky and stupid - is that I can not believe Eternals referenced BOTH Batman and Superman.

It felt so strange and against my own will my brain started spinning up wondering if DC movies exist in the MCU.

I mean, the Eternals are transparently an MCU Justice League

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

I feel like they've never shied away from that. Even in the comics they make oblique references to other comic universes as if they're just pop culture icons like they are in our world. Going back to the original Spider-Man where Aunt May says "you're not Superman you know"

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    "mxmarks wrote: »

At the very least, the comics do now.

This discussion has been closed.