As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    If I was a former Cowboys player watching McCarthy yakety sax his way to defeat yesterday, I'd be screaming too.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Romo was clearly letting his bias fly though.

Multiple times in the last quarter when talking about what the Cowboys needed to do to get back into the game, he used "we" instead of "they", and the excitement was on one side of the ball.

IIRC, he was absolutely giddy when Garropolo threw it straight to a Cowboys player, and focused most of the rest of the game on what Dallas needed to do to get back, and not what the 49ers needed to do to stop them.

It was fucking annoying.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Romo hasn't really exhibited much homerism for Dallas in his broadcasts.

• Options

Normally, no. And I'm thankful it was him, not Aikman. Because that could have been truly miserable.

But there was definitely a noticeable partisan slant from at least the last 5m of Q3.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I didn't watch any football yesterday and just caught up on how the Niners-Cowboys game ended. Holy shit that was an irredeemable play call.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Normally, no. And I'm thankful it was him, not Aikman. Because that could have been truly miserable.

But there was definitely a noticeable partisan slant from at least the last 5m of Q3.

But was that a bias of encouragement or a frustration against SUPERGENIUS?

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I didn't watch any football yesterday and just caught up on how the Niners-Cowboys game ended. Holy shit that was an irredeemable play call.

I'd advocate for calling it a McCarthy Special, but that's already what I call sending out the field goal team when you're behind, and it's 4th and 1 inside the Red Zone with one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

I do think McCarthy's risk aversion cost them this game too. I sincerely hope Jerrah keeps him on, so he can fuck them up next year.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Yes.

I've heard Romo be effusively supportive of various guys still there from his tenure, coaches and players, but he's rarely just gone full ham like he did during the 4th quarter last night, and I think the ineptitude of the Beav was the catalyst. He saw his team have possibly the best shot they've had in a decade to secure a playoff W (especially after those couple of series where Jimmy G lost his mind and threw it right at their secondary) and bad clock management and what I can only assume was McCarthy huffing his own supergenius farts pissed it away.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Yes.

I've heard Romo be effusively supportive of various guys still there from his tenure, coaches and players, but he's rarely just gone full ham like he did during the 4th quarter last night, and I think the ineptitude of the Beav was the catalyst. He saw his team have possibly the best shot they've had in a decade to secure a playoff W (especially after those couple of series where Jimmy G lost his mind and threw it right at their secondary) and bad clock management and what I can only assume was McCarthy huffing his own supergenius farts pissed it away.

My experience is that he just gets enthusiastic against bad playcalling in general. I was barely watching the game so I can't comment much about this time. You'll have to pardon me for being leary that this isn't coming from an anti-Dallas reading of the situation.

• Options

Yes.

My experience is that he just gets enthusiastic against bad playcalling in general. I was barely watching the game so I can't comment much about this time. You'll have to pardon me for being leary that this isn't coming from an anti-Dallas reading of the situation.

Possible. I do know he lost it when the Cowboys did the fake punt (which was good), and then kept the punt team on the field for the next play (which was bad, but sprinkles!), even though it was 1st down.

But I contrast that to the reaction of the Garoppolo INT, and the slippages of "we", and it definitely felt like he was actively rooting for the side he played his career for.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The amazing thing is blowing a 4th and 1 sneak by MOTIONING YOUR LEFT TACKLE was not the dumbest thing in that fourth quarter. Might not even crack the top 5.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Yes.

Possible. I do know he lost it when the Cowboys did the fake punt (which was good), and then kept the punt team on the field for the next play (which was bad, but sprinkles!), even though it was 1st down.

But I contrast that to the reaction of the Garoppolo INT, and the slippages of "we", and it definitely felt like he was actively rooting for the side he played his career for.

Perhaps. But I'll take his level of homerism over just about everybody else. Little slips are better than full-throated endorsement.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The amazing thing is blowing a 4th and 1 sneak by MOTIONING YOUR LEFT TACKLE was not the dumbest thing in that fourth quarter. Might not even crack the top 5.
    This game had:
    - The aforementioned motioning of the tackle on a sneak
    - An in-the-dirt ball to Kittle that kept it from being a fumble turnover
    - A massive overthrow by Jimmy G (who was standing in a stable pocket) to Aiyuk that would've possibly gone for six
    - A record number of penalties by the Cowboys (many of which were presnap).
    - Fake punt > hey let's keep the punt team out there on first down because LULZ maybe they'll take a TO > oh shit, they left their top 5 defense out there and boy do they look pissed.
    - As a same part of that play, they didn't have any understanding about substitution rules
    - A punt that hit the scoreboard
    - And the running a QB draw with no timeouts and not understanding that you have to give the ball to an official to spot it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

I don't think it's irredeemable, you're trading potentially two shots from the 40 for one from the 30. I'm not sure ten yards increases your odds enough to make up for the lost play but I can understand the logic. The real issue is that Dak messed up and ran 15 yards instead of 10. If he slides at the 30 they get the spike off even if he and the center both brain fart and try to spot their own ball

Carpy on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

I don't think it's irredeemable, you're trading potentially two shots from the 40 for one from the 30. I'm not sure ten yards increases your odds enough to make up for the lost play but I can understand the logic. The real issue is that Dak messed up and ran 15 yards instead of 10. If he slides at the 30 they get the spike off even if he and the center both brain fart and try to spot their own ball

The time lapsed between 10 and 15 yards in the open field is a rounding error considering the 10 other players that need to get back up to the line and set. Maybe if they hand the ball to the ref like they should they get a play off, but with less than 20 seconds on the clock there should be zero plays to the middle of the field which is why it was left so open.

It was almost like they were scrambling for a first which would make the decision even dumber.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

The time lapsed between 10 and 15 yards in the open field is a rounding error considering the 10 other players that need to get back up to the line and set. Maybe if they hand the ball to the ref like they should they get a play off, but with less than 20 seconds on the clock there should be zero plays to the middle of the field which is why it was left so open.

It was almost like they were scrambling for a first which would make the decision even dumber.

And the upside is a desperation play from the 30 instead of two from the 45.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    There are just way too many variables that could delay getting that spike off to justify the call. Dak could get tangled up with a defender, a lineman could slip when he rushes back, they might not get set and get flagged for an illegal snap. If they wanted a shorter field, they should have called a play with routes towards the sidelines. At least then, if they are covered then Dak can throw it away and they can try one last time from the 45.

The only way any play to the middle with 14 seconds left would be justified is if they had a timeout. SF completely conceded the center of the field for a very good reason.

Butters on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The history of Dallas always choking in December (which is now January because of the extra game) is so strong it's basically a meme.

That combined with Romo going all in for his old team and then watching in real time as The Beav goes fucking SUPER GENIUS and completely fucks away the game was probably the best football I've seen all year.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    at the risk of being the guy defending an nfl broadcaster, I think this is all a little unfair to romo; I don't think he's so much biases in favor of dallas as he is generally excitable

he was also willing to slob all over garoppolo's knob despite him turning in the worst half we're likely to see by a qb in the playoffs; he was all set to throw the 49ers out of that game had dallas' defense not kept bailing him out

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    at the risk of being the guy defending an nfl broadcaster, I think this is all a little unfair to romo; I don't think he's so much biases in favor of dallas as he is generally excitable

he was also willing to slob all over garoppolo's knob despite him turning in the worst half we're likely to see by a qb in the playoffs; he was all set to throw the 49ers out of that game had dallas' defense not kept bailing him out

I didn't watch Sunday night, but given the reports of him being near useless, are you sure you want to stand by that with two Roethlisberger halves to compare to? :)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The more I look at the Dak run the more I don't really think that was the call. The defense parted, wide, and fairly blatantly. I think Dak saw that, forgot the clock and his feet just said "R U N" and he really thought he could get enough time for one more play.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i think the worst part of it all is that after the game he doesn't take responsibility for how it went down. no one else ran that ball, no one else ran past the first down marker, no one else took the ball and didn't give it to the ref. he's the QB, he has to own that.

on the other hand, i watched some videos of the fans throwing garbage at the team and that just pisses me off. I don't care if the game ends like it did, you don't throw bottles at people (even players).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i think the worst part of it all is that after the game he doesn't take responsibility for how it went down. no one else ran that ball, no one else ran past the first down marker, no one else took the ball and didn't give it to the ref. he's the QB, he has to own that.

on the other hand, i watched some videos of the fans throwing garbage at the team and that just pisses me off. I don't care if the game ends like it did, you don't throw bottles at people (even players).

I went I Twitter to watch the salt. And there were so many people who were laughing or raging.

*chefs kiss*

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

I wouldn't be against the fans throwing bottles at the owner, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They were throwing it at the refs. Which isn't any better.

Prescott then showed his whole ass when told about it.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

they were throwing at the refs but one of the videos i watched literally had one of the dallas players have to block something (looked like a bottle) with his helmet so they all suck. Even if the refs sucked to hell and back, I find throwing stuff at people to be the lowest of low.

• Options

And there aim was shit, while I was trolling Twitter there were reports of sports photographers and other folks not part of the game hit.

• Options
    Which is why you don't throw shit onto the field of play.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Which is why you don't throw shit onto the field of play.

Unless it’s a dildo?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Also looking at the video a couple times today. I don’t think the QB sneak was a called play. I think Dak went rogue because the whole team was disorganized getting to the line. If it was a planned sneak the WRs and line would have been getting ready, but it looked like it was an oh shit moment.

• Options
    Maybe he honestly thought he could make the end zone lol

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Interesting stat I saw: Favre currently holds the record for most playoff wins against NFC teams, with 12. If Rodgers or Brady make the Super Bowl, they’ll tie Favre.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Interesting stat I saw: Favre currently holds the record for most playoff wins against NFC teams, with 12. If Rodgers or Brady make the Super Bowl, they’ll tie Favre.

one of these things is not like the other // one of these things just doesn't belong

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I’m not a Pats fan, but that’s hilarious.

• Options
    Raiders fired Mayock.

• Options
    Lol trying the trickery already

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Lol trying the trickery already

Watch coach Ryan Gosling bail back to the College ranks if Arizona gets blown out in this.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Raiders fired Mayock.
    Think he'll get his tv draft expert job back?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    They might have put the wrong game on Monday night.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Odell is still so good. He’s just tearing Arizona to pieces.