As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Can you not see the TT cards if you haven't played any TT yet? I'm actually max rank with the Ixali and I didn't see a card there, and in fact I have never seen a card.

When you unlock the Triple Triad game in the Gold Saucer I think it makes it so that you can see an icon over various world NPCs that will then let you play against them to win a card. I haven't done it so I don't ever see the icons but I do get cards as drops from certain raids sometimes. Although I do not recall any that drop from bosses that are before Stormblood.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    There are cards that drop from the Crystal Tower raids and some other ARR and HW content.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Relatively spoiler free Heavensward comment:

Wow

Moogles are assholes.

*edit* I mean by the card thing that I'm at max rank with the Ixal and I don't see any cards at the vendor.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah you don't unlock a Triple Triad card on the vendor - you unlock an NPC you can play Triple Triad against, who can drop a card.

liEt3nH.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Almost all the beast tribes have an npc locked behind rank, and many zones have the same liked behind random sidequests (just the generic ones), along with most of the post ARR relic quest lines and raid questlines.

If you're on a quest to get all the TT cards, you literally have to do all the content in the game.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    ok so seriously, Moogles vs Ixali...
    Ixal: literally we don't know what we're doing. we're trying very hard but the fuck is this. the fuck is that. help. but we are, earnestly, doing our best; and we are giving you the info you need to help us.

Moogle: oh... noes...................... my wings are inexplicably................................... HeAvy!1!11 you must HeLP
    Me: :|
    Moogle: I refuse to do work until you do it for me V:
    Me: ........ :|
    Moogle: oh....... thank the gods.......................................................... you did the thing.................................. which I deffo could have done but refuse to............................................................................. now deliver it for me also
    Me, a Culinarian: I wonder how moogle meat tastes when roasted with onion, garlic, and peppers :|

Also:
    that one moogle guy: oh noes... I'm too... lame... to do anything...
    Stonemason: but what if you dunked on the other guys
    Moogle: ! I'm gonna drug and brainwash them
    Me, initially: ethically this seems dubio---

Me: /endures moogle bullshit
    Me: nevermind, please brainwash them

ADDENDUM.
    the Sylphs seem to at least just have a fundamental misunderstanding of metahuman culture; they are playful but not cruel

moogles?

moogles ABSOLUTELY understand metahumans. moogles are this way on purpose

which is to say, I bet Moogles are very tasty when stuffed, roasted, and glazed with honey :|

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can get the card from gold packs I think, I haven't finished ixial rep and got it

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    New hair day

datanbx15ruy.png
    g16jxwerqrs7.png

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've decided to level a healer. I looked at my job list, and I had WHM at 57 (all from POTD during the HW days), SCH at 60 (from leveling SMN in PVP back in the HW days, AST at 34, and SGE at 70.

I picked WHM, but since leveling roulette would have a chance to throw me into noted Healer-check The Vault, I decided to run some command missions, which I'd been doing recently anyway to get access to the awesome Storm Lieutenant Coat.

I know this was a prototype for Trusts but goddamn the AI is not good. I ran through Aurum Vale and I spent most of the last boss chain-casting Esuna because they make no effort to avoid AOEs and Bad Breath stacks up like 7 things on you.

That said, I'm feeling more confident, I'll be subjecting real humans to my healing this week.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'd pitch SCH just for the SMN bonus, but WHM is definitely the easiest healer to understand whats going on with your kit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    WHM is pretty simple once you understand it. Cure and Cure II are your single target heals, Esuna for conditions, Medica I and II for group heals, and Benediction is for pulling the tank’s ass out of the fire when they see fit to overpull.

The lilies are essentially Cure II without the long cast time and no MP cost.

Swiftcast + Raise is your emergency combo if the tank goes down or the DRG got splatted again.

steam_sig.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    You think moogles are going to be the small loveable adorable beast tribe

but no

it was the namazu

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    New hair day

datanbx15ruy.png
    g16jxwerqrs7.png

is that vanilla hair? which one is it?

BahamutZERO.gif
    the most important whm healing spell is damage spells

liEt3nH.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The second most important whm heal is that once you get lucid dreaming, cure 1 should be off your bars

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wouldn't take it off because you can get synced below 35, but you can put it on like... 9

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I have it bound to the 2 key and there it stays even if it's not needing to be pushed much. Cure II can be Alt-2.

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I've decided to level a healer. I looked at my job list, and I had WHM at 57 (all from POTD during the HW days), SCH at 60 (from leveling SMN in PVP back in the HW days, AST at 34, and SGE at 70.

I picked WHM, but since leveling roulette would have a chance to throw me into noted Healer-check The Vault, I decided to run some command missions, which I'd been doing recently anyway to get access to the awesome Storm Lieutenant Coat.

I know this was a prototype for Trusts but goddamn the AI is not good. I ran through Aurum Vale and I spent most of the last boss chain-casting Esuna because they make no effort to avoid AOEs and Bad Breath stacks up like 7 things on you.

That said, I'm feeling more confident, I'll be subjecting real humans to my healing this week.

Is there an ilevel check on The Vault? You could take some stuff off until you can no longer go into The Vault and then join the roulette and then put the stuff back on.

It's not so much that cure 1 isn't needed to be pressed, it's that it's actively harmful to do so - it has no purpose at max. They should put freecure on Stone/Glare, it's such a trap to have it on cure 1

I keep Cure 1 where I can easily swap it in if I get a low-level dungeon on roulette.

On the other hand, it’s useful to keep both Medicas, too - 1 is actually a stronger heal than 2, but 2 gives a few ticks of Regen, so it’s useful to fire that off and then use Medica 1 while that regen is going.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2022
    New hair day

datanbx15ruy.png
    g16jxwerqrs7.png

is that vanilla hair? which one is it?

Yeah, I think it was newly added with EW. Should be available by default.

Dhalphir on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    you can get the card from gold packs I think, I haven't finished ixial rep and got it
    This is true but there's an achievement for beating every NPC, so you still need to play against them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2022
    It's not so much that cure 1 isn't needed to be pressed, it's that it's actively harmful to do so - it has no purpose at max. They should put freecure on Stone/Glare, it's such a trap to have it on cure 1

I strongly disagree with this statement. A lot of what I find myself up against as a White Mage is MP management during prolonged pulls. Lucid Dreaming restores about 60 percent of my MP in the 30 seconds it is active but it is only a net positive on MP if I can keep my usage efficient, and Cure 2 is a MP hog that is only necessary in "oh shit" situations. Cure 1 X2 is 1000 potency for 800 mp and 8 seconds cast time (and 15% chance for a no MP cost cure 2) versus 1 cure 2 being 800 potency for 1000 MP and 4.5 second cast time. This is a pretty straight-forward tradeoff. You either use more time casting and less MP, or more significantly more MP and you get GCDs for use to do damage.

I can and have dumped my entire MP pool into Cure 2s on a few occasions when it was needed, but if you need that much curing at once it is pretty likely that everyone is dying on that pull.

If your argument is that Cure 1 eats up too many GCD cycles and cuts into your damage output, then let me point you to my only somewhat rapidly reusable AOE spell, Holy; which does less than half the DPS of pretty much anything that anyone else can do AND makes your target stun immune if you spam it. As a White Mage your damage output is completely unimportant for anything other than savage content when your groups are running up against hard dps checks.

You are throwing 33% of your MP in the trash can just to give yourself enough time to do a jaw-dropping 30 potency per second damage per target.

I am not saying don't DPS as a white mage. I am saying that no one should be throwing out parts of their toolset in the misguided belief that there is only 1 true way to play. Look at your situation and what your goals are and what your resources are and push the right button at the right time.

An equally valid way of playing is that if you have time to significantly contribute to the DPS of your party as a White mage, then your groups are underpulling and your DPS AOE isn't being properly brought to bear on targets. In that situation you are not making up the difference in your party's damage potential no matter what damage spells you cast.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    On the other hand, it’s useful to keep both Medicas, too - 1 is actually a stronger heal than 2, but 2 gives a few ticks of Regen, so it’s useful to fire that off and then use Medica 1 while that regen is going.

Agreed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    WHMs usually contribute around 10-15% DPS to a trash pull in my experience, so if you’re not doing that you’re making them a lot slower… which means more healing required. Wasting GCDs on bad heals just means you have to waste more GCDs on bad heals

If you’re running out of mana using either Cure on a trash pull you’re probably already dead. Or you had to raise two people and that’s why you’re OOM, not the Cures. At 70+ when you have non-mana costing heals even needing to cast Cure II is probably a bad sign.

And most bosses are beatable without a single GCD heal, aside from maybe at low levels when you need the occasional Regen and Medica.

edit: also I’m not sure where those cast times come from, but cast time isn’t relevant to healing/second since both Cure 1 and 2 are on a 2.5s GCD.

admanb on
    edited January 2022
    you're better waiting a server tick to regen mana and then casting cure 2 than casting cure 1

e: i said this as a shitpost but honestly as i think about it it's probably closer to true than it should be

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited January 2022
    Holy is the best healing spell you have. That is my response to that whole post. Mobs being stun immune isn't relevant for anything except Holy itself. Every dungeon pull should open with Holy spam until the immune, bare minimum - then if the tank is good or not a DRK, you can just keep doing it.

If you're casting cure 1 in any level 90 content under any circumstances you are doing it wrong, the end. There's no room for playstyle here, it's just worse than anything else you could press, up to and including "press nothing"

In most dungeon circumstances you shouldn't even need Cure 2, but a bad tank can make it necessary.

Dhalphir on
    healer might be the role that endgame plays the least like leveling, despite it being the same thing

dps you're adding to and augmenting your toolkit, tanks are getting new mitigation tools and dps additions, healer is getting tools that they want to, wherever possible, use in place of everything they use while leveling, and everything they used while leveling becomes a last-resort tool

at 70 as AST i have 3 ocgd heals (or 4 if you want to go to bat for the completely random minor arcana)

in just 20 levels that more than doubles!

liEt3nH.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Am I warrioring wrong or do they just not really have any oGCDs to speak of?

Are paladins still good tanks near the endgame, or should I seek to swap out to something else? My pally is Lv. 15, and I still have time to swap over without losing a whole lot of time.

steam_sig.png
    All tanks are totally viable right now.

liEt3nH.png
    Echo wrote: »

Not really. Very much a GCD class. Couple oGCDs that are relatively simple weaves. Nothing like DRK, who double weave for like 12 GCDs in a row on their opener, or GNBs, who weave almost every global for the entire fight and doubleweave their openers too.
    Are paladins still good tanks near the endgame, or should I seek to swap out to something else? My pally is Lv. 15, and I still have time to swap over without losing a whole lot of time.

Perfectly good. Right now a little behind on DPS compared to the best tank (DRK), about 10% behind, but the devs have acknowledged it in a recent post and there's a patch coming specifically to bump PLDs up a bit (as well as some other classes)

I'm leveling paladin myself as well. they're still currently in the pre-50 levels and Sheltron is a weird buttton to me.

M A G I K A Z A M
    RE: WHM trash contribution

This is my expert roulette just now. This is the first two pulls damage breakdown. The WHM didn't cast anything but Holy + oGCD heals the whole time. Nobody was in any danger.

n8ylfrc5v2v6.png

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Sheltron is your short cd mitigation. Just make sure to use it often enough to not overcap your resource and you're good.

It’ll be nice to have the buffs. Good to see BLM getting some love, too, and I’ve always wanted to level samurai…

Hopefully after this ninja gets some love, too, around 6.1.

steam_sig.png
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Sheltron is your short cd mitigation. Just make sure to use it often enough to not overcap your resource and you're good.
    so it's okay to just kinda pop it when it's up (at least on dungeon pulls) and then save it for bigger attacks during bosses?

Tank is probably the role I play the least of so I dont know how it all works that well (Despite the fact that I have two tanks at 80)

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    so it's okay to just kinda pop it when it's up (at least on dungeon pulls) and then save it for bigger attacks during bosses?

Tank is probably the role I play the least of so I dont know how it all works that well (Despite the fact that I have two tanks at 80)

As a general rule, use it as soon as you hit 100 gauge as long as something is actively hitting you. Spending the rest of the gauge is generally used for something specific, or just to help smooth out damage in a trash pull.

Once you hit 82, it's strong enough (and a long enough duration) to become a CD in its own right for trash pulls, but when it's 6 seconds duration (and at 70 and below, a shocking 4 seconds) it's really only good for individual big hits or pairing with Reprisal for dungeon pulls to make Reprisal a bit beefier for a while.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've still been working on BLM. Acquired the Scylla's Robe of Casting the other day, so I've been using that as my glam. It's just so magey. I love it.

The problem is that the big fluffy fur shoulders clips nearly all the bunny hair options. Obviously with the ears, many hairstyles won't work. But I could really use some sort of sensible option for hair being off the back. Really, the only option I have is the over-the-shoulder ponytail. Nothing wrong with that look, but I'd like some other options as well.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's technical whatever spaghet code involved by they need to let you tie hairstyles to glamour plates. I have my own few glams that would only really work with specific hairstyles(clipping, general aesthetic, whatever reason) but switching hair just for those would break other glams I've already set up for my current hairstyle.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Not really. Very much a GCD class. Couple oGCDs that are relatively simple weaves. Nothing like DRK, who double weave for like 12 GCDs in a row on their opener, or GNBs, who weave almost every global for the entire fight and doubleweave their openers too.

Perfectly good. Right now a little behind on DPS compared to the best tank (DRK), about 10% behind, but the devs have acknowledged it in a recent post and there's a patch coming specifically to bump PLDs up a bit (as well as some other classes)

I think the dps difference is smaller than that even, like 300 dps between top parses of the highest and lowest performing tank jobs.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.