As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The last couple playthroughs will also get WAY faster cause you keep your levels and weapons.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Though to get started on Ending E, after Ending D you have to
    start a new save file and play until the boss fight in the Aerie.

Kamar on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Been playing Scarlet Nexus, and so far this game appears to mostly be about determining if boys are good enough for my sister. So far: they aren't.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm going to start NEO TWEWY after work this afternoon.

Anyone have any starting tips, best practices, or remember anything that's permanently missable I should keep an eye out for?
    Do not, under any circumstances, try to max out Scramble Slam your first time through. You will burn the fuck out and might still fail to get the top prize. Go back and do it via chapter select later when you have access to more multipliers.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Alright, I'm going to start NEO TWEWY after work this afternoon.

Anyone have any starting tips, best practices, or remember anything that's permanently missable I should keep an eye out for?
    Do not, under any circumstances, try to max out Scramble Slam your first time through. You will burn the fuck out and might still fail to get the top prize. Go back and do it via chapter select later when you have access to more multipliers.

Forget top prize. Getting any prize is probably beyond you at that point. Found out the hard way.

Moth 13 on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So about four or five runs then eh? Alright, I'll settle down on farming up weapon upgrade stuff on this first run since more will drop later.

By the way, is it ever explained why Kaine is dressed in lingerie or is this just something I should blame Yoko Taro for like 2B's outfit.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yoko Taro mostly

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    oh there's a reason. not a good one, but it's better than she breathes through her skin I guess??

edited January 2022
    Madican wrote: »
    So about four or five runs then eh? Alright, I'll settle down on farming up weapon upgrade stuff on this first run since more will drop later.

By the way, is it ever explained why Kaine is dressed in lingerie or is this just something I should blame Yoko Taro for like 2B's outfit.

Apparently, what Yoko Taro wanted for the design was misunderstood by the character artist. But the Yoko Taro decided to go with it anyway, because he's Yoko Taro.

Kamar on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    2B's design made sense the more I thought about it. If we're fabricating robot bodies from scratch, of course we're going to make them as hot as possible. Look what happened when FFXIV let people get Nier themed outfits. Find me one player without 2B's boots in at least one glamour slot and I'll show you a RMT bot.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Jars wrote: »
    oh there's a reason. not a good one, but it's better than she breathes through her skin I guess??

The thing about Kaine's outfit is that there's two reasons, a characterization based reason and a breathes through her skin reason, and everyone in the fandom just tries to pretend the second one doesn't exist.

Moth 13 on
    Well now I'm eager to find out the dumb reason. Getting close to endgame in this first playthrough, just have two more fragments to get then off to the "final" boss or whatever it is. This is Nier after all, and nothing is ever as it seems. Maybe a few more loops through the Junk Heap, I want to finish some annoying side quests on this run.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    You may or may not have already learned Kaine's reason. It's a detail that you kind of have to read between the lines a bit.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    yoko taro is horny and fully admits he is horny, but kaine also definitely has a reason why she dresses like that

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    shes part plant and breathes and eats through her skin via photosynthesis iirc

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also much like me she has to dress horny or she'll die of being depressed

BahamutZERO.gif
    Wait please don't tell me she dresses like that to suppress the Shade possessing her by exposing herself to more light.

I haven't actually found out the reason yet but that sounds painfully Kojima.

Wait please don't tell me she dresses like that to suppress the Shade possessing her by exposing herself to more light.

It's
    how Kaine asserts her femininity.

edited January 2022
    Kamar wrote: »

It's

:rotate:

Also if Weiss could stop calling her a hussy repeatedly that'd be fantastic.

Madican on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

It's

big kaine spoiler
    she's interesexed and was ostracized and abused as a child because of it
    she hyper-sexualizes because she doesn't know of a healthy way

also her arm is the only thing covered because that's the part of her body where the demon lives

Not clicking because I don't want big spoiler I'll find out on my own. Closing in on the end of the first playthrough of Nier, I just want to finish the last three quests in my log to hit 100% so I can just focus on weapon upgrades in subsequent runs. Those involve running the Junk Heap B2 a bunch to fix a guy's kitchen, getting 10 pink moonflower seeds (I already have some just need more), and also Junk Heap B2 to fix a lighthouse.

Current place thoughts thus far
    Okay, so clearly something is up with Shades and they're not just mindless monsters. The strongest ones have always had very defined forms differing from the rank and file, several have shown evidence of rational thought and emotion especially the one from the shipwreck, and the rare few are able to mimic humans perfectly until they get heavily injured as seen in Aerie Peak. There's still very little information about what they actually are though, besides former humans obviously. Like what turns a person into a Shade and why. Black Scrawl perhaps? Or some other criteria? This is just the first playthrough so I know I have a mostly blank book here.

Further, something is also up with Devola and Popola. I remember them from Automata and that would explain why they didn't age at all over the five year timeskip. Question is are they to be trusted or not. They've always been the ones to point me towards the next geegaw to collect and it has been remarked that someone may be guiding Nier on some kind of path towards the Shadowlord. Which combined with their whole thing and the Grimoires is a whole other kettle of fish that hasn't been boiled yet.

Lastly, the Forest of Myth inhabitants are weirdos beyond even Facade and I don't know how that village actually functions when apparently the fruit that grows in the area is deadly poisonous. I assume they all subsist on hallucinogens.

Also I know Nier the game has this giant boner for killing a ton of people because depression and bleakness but did Fyra really need to get fridged that hard?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

It's

big kaine spoiler
    she's interesexed and was ostracized and abused as a child because of it
    she hyper-sexualizes because she doesn't know of a healthy way

also her arm is the only thing covered because that's the part of her body where the demon lives
    hyper-sexualizing isn't necessarily *unhealthy* though. From a real human perspective if that's how you feel good and what brings you your own body positivity then it can be very healthy.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    You know what game I want a remake of? Wild Arms. Or Wild Arms 2. I know WA already had a PS2 remake, but even that's kinda aged poorly. I can't think of any other series that has hit that sweet spot of wild west + anime bullshit for me.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I've been chugging along in NEO TWEWY, and I've made it to week 2 day 3. Couple of thoughts:
    As is typical when I play jRPGs where your equipment accumulates EXP, I am constantly swapping mastered pins to new ones whenever I max them out, so I never get to enjoy being powerful or using cool combinations of psychs. This wasn't a problem in week 1, but in week 2 when Minami leaves, being down a pin made combat really awkward and painful as I waited around for pins to charge most of the time. Fortunately I found an Uber Triangle sword Psych that takes an obscenely large amount of PP to max out, so it's nice having that consistency.

I tried combat at Hard/Level 1 in week 1, and it was okay but slow during trash, but I couldn't beat the final boss of week 1, so I put it back to normal and have kept it there since.

At Tokyu Plaza in week 2 I found an accessory shop that sells phone cases that give Auto-Charge. This ability revolutionized combat for me. Being able to fire and forget the charge abilities while still doing Tap and Hold Psychs simultaneously is amazing. I guess this is kind of a crutch because it means you can't wear accessories that grant Regen/EXP up/PP up, but oh well, I'm bad and need a crutch.

As for the hooded character on the box art:
    It was a double bluff! It's actually Beat with a new haircut! Ya fooled me game, bravo.

Overall I'm really digging this game.

The auto-save is really aggressive!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I kind of want something chill I can play. I have Ryza 2 so I might start that up.

I was also thinking about booting up Trails 4 since I'm already through Act 1 but with all the missables those games are the opposite of chill for me.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I kind of want something chill I can play. I have Ryza 2 so I might start that up.

I was also thinking about booting up Trails 4 since I'm already through Act 1 but with all the missables those games are the opposite of chill for me.

Ryza 2 is quite good! I liked what they were trying with how dungeons get solved. If you liked Ryza 1, Ryza 2 is more of that.

For Trails 4, once you get fast travel, the map list will tell you when there's new NPC text/other stuff in a specific area. I think that includes hidden quests. Also, all optional quests should show up on the map with green exclamation points so you can go somewhere and quickly check the area map and see if there's anything to pick up.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Finally getting around to Persona 5 Royal, and holy shit, Yusuke is just immediately way better than he was in the original release

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    gosh i still havent finished that game. i just got video game girl and did a little after that and put it down again. the game is just so long.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Finally getting around to Persona 5 Royal, and holy shit, Yusuke is just immediately way better than he was in the original release

you can make him really good now with one of the new facilities available in royal to give him skills he would not normally learn

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Think I over prepared because I had heard that the second boss was one of the most difficult with the changes in Royal

I don't even know if he got to act at all really

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Haru's palace boss is the one to watch out for

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Man fuck that boss

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Man fuck that boss

That's the one that's actually easier to deal with on hard, isn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Man fuck that boss

Yeah. It's a DPS check, except it's tuned way too high. You're expected to go full party baton passes or something, using items so everybody can hit weaknesses, but nobody is prepared for that because you never HAVE to do that anywhere else in the game. But on Merciless (not Hard), you get a straight up 3x multiplier to damage done when hitting weaknesses or crits, so a big damage buff.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Man fuck that boss

Yeah. It's a DPS check, except it's tuned way too high. You're expected to go full party baton passes or something, using items so everybody can hit weaknesses, but nobody is prepared for that because you never HAVE to do that anywhere else in the game. But on Merciless (not Hard), you get a straight up 3x multiplier to damage done when hitting weaknesses or crits, so a big damage buff.

That's why I play on easy. Cruise through, enjoy the UngaBunga, bond with the characters.

I know that's frequently not the acceptable answer, though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    persona is the only game I set on easy. everything else I try to max out

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    In Final Fantasy IX, is there any way to reorder or group my abilities in the battle menu? There's so many empty spaces between all of them and I have to page down multiple times with the shoulder buttons to see all of them

select has traditionally done that in older FF games, worth a try

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Before anyone posts that song, this was my favorite track in 13-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYgA3dNwCE

This is dope, thanks for sharing. Even has a sick violin solo at the end~

VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.