As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 117th United States [Congress]

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    altlat55 wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see how a workers' uprising would result in worse outcomes than the current system. We might actually end up with a system that caters to the 99% instead of the 1% that keeps us all in shackles and poverty where possible.

Depends on the workers. I think a far right violent revolt is more likely from the working class. I only really have my experience in construction work and the military to draw from, though. The food industry is probably more blue.

I'll admit, I'm quite biased: my fellow workers are mostly college educated, liberal if not leftists, passionate hard workers who are all about mutual aid and mutual organization. We show up for each other and the less fortunate, do outreach to underserved communities, and just generally try to do the best by one another and society at large to provide entertainment and emotional relief to a world full of strife. My fellow workers are some of the best people I know, and if it weren't for Robert's Rules we'd probably get stuff done a lot faster in meetings (making us much better qualified to run the world than the current lot of politicians). 😅

• altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    altlat55 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see how a workers' uprising would result in worse outcomes than the current system. We might actually end up with a system that caters to the 99% instead of the 1% that keeps us all in shackles and poverty where possible.

Depends on the workers. I think a far right violent revolt is more likely from the working class. I only really have my experience in construction work and the military to draw from, though. The food industry is probably more blue.

I'll admit, I'm quite biased: my fellow workers are mostly college educated, liberal if not leftists, passionate hard workers who are all about mutual aid and mutual organization. We show up for each other and the less fortunate, do outreach to underserved communities, and just generally try to do the best by one another and society at large to provide entertainment and emotional relief to a world full of strife. My fellow workers are some of the best people I know, and if it weren't for Robert's Rules we'd probably get stuff done a lot faster in meetings (making us much better qualified to run the world than the current lot of politicians). 😅

I didn't mean to shit all over the trades people I work with. Most of them are good people, too. On the whole they certainly aren't leftists, but they aren't violent MAGA nuts either. I just don't see those guys trying to overthrow the government anytime soon. Now the ones that ARE MAGA nuts. That's a different story.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I mean, aside from the bloodshed?

Because "workers' uprising" generally involves quite of bit of that win or lose.

Because "workers' uprising" generally involves quite of bit of that win or lose.

Not true! A workers' uprising could very easily be nonviolent. A great example of this would be the Bonus Army and the Seattle General Strike, both of which were workers' uprisings in miniature largely accomplished without violence for the purposes of securing real gains for workers and veterans who had been stiffed by a cruel and austere federal government. 99% of the violence that happened in those events was perpetrated by government forces seeking to prevent those workers and veterans from getting their just due.

In cases of America, a workers' uprising usually means it will be the workers who see violence used against them, instead of the ones who use the violence. History proves this. Examine any major labor action of the 19th and 20th century to see me proven right. The Ludlow Massacre and the Coal Wars are other good examples.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    One of the big catches, I think, is that successful nonviolent worker's uprisings are not viewed as uprisings by a lot of people, but rather noble labour action that secured necessary modern rights.

liEt3nH.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Not true! A workers' uprising could very easily be nonviolent. A great example of this would be the Bonus Army and the Seattle General Strike, both of which were workers' uprisings in miniature largely accomplished without violence for the purposes of securing real gains for workers and veterans who had been stiffed by a cruel and austere federal government. 99% of the violence that happened in those events was perpetrated by government forces seeking to prevent those workers and veterans from getting their just due.

In cases of America, a workers' uprising usually means it will be the workers who see violence used against them, instead of the ones who use the violence. History proves this. Examine any major labor action of the 19th and 20th century to see me proven right. The Ludlow Massacre and the Coal Wars are other good examples.

I didn't say it would be workers using violence.

I said that a workers' uprising generally involves quite of bit of that (bloodshed) win or lose.

I'm not worried that the owners are going to bleed.

I believe wholeheartedly that the workers would be drowned in their own blood if anything resembling a workers' uprising were to occur in the US and nothing would come of it.

I said that a workers' uprising generally involves quite of bit of that (bloodshed) win or lose.

I believe wholeheartedly that the workers would be drowned in their own blood if anything resembling a workers' uprising were to occur in the US and nothing would come of it.

As we have seen with numerous successful union campaigns in recent weeks and months (Starbucks! Kellogs! UAW!), the uprising does not always result in blood and defeat. You need to uncouple your notion of "uprising" from "violent revolt" and more broadly associate it with "aggressively utilizing democratic institutions and processes to install workers in key positions of power in order to better uplift their fellow laborers and reforge the infrastructure of the US into something which better serves the interests of the 99%".

Now, how probable that might be is a discussion we should probably take to the Labor thread. I'll drop the tangent here in the Congress thread as it's not super pertinent to the thread overall (until it becomes so...).

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    40% of Union households voted for Trump. Which is less than the nation overall (by 6 points) it isn't exactly a vanishingly small minority.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    40% of Union households voted for Trump. Which is less than the nation overall (by 6 points) it isn't exactly a vanishingly small minority.

Is that including, say, police "unions"?

Tomanta wrote: »

It only includes true Scotsmen, I'm sure.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    spool32 wrote: »

The last few have gone so well, after all.

Funnily enough, we've never actually had a workers' revolution in America, so you can't actually say this! 😉

American exceptionalism! :):)

edit: history is at least somewhat in your favor here with American labor movements, as your bonus army example showed. I just couldn't resist! :)

spool32 on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Cool, was just curious.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Funnily enough, we've never actually had a workers' revolution in America, so you can't actually say this! 😉

I disagree, we had a workers revolution that ended the gilded age with trust busting and such by the government. It was just a peaceful democratic revolution.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I disagree, we had a workers revolution that ended the gilded age with trust busting and such by the government. It was just a peaceful democratic revolution.

They say the whirring of Madison’s corpse could be heard for blocks all round the cemetery

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

They say the whirring of Madison’s corpse could be heard for blocks all round the cemetery

Attaching the leads to use it for power was a TVA project, which only increased the rate of spin.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    So, is Congress still debating the voting rights thing? That was still going on late last night. Did they have a vote yet where Manchin and Sinema voted with the Republicans to let Republicans continue to ruin our democracy?

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Attaching the leads to use it for power was a TVA project, which only increased the rate of spin.

The corpses of dead slavers appropriated for electricity generation as their rage brings them into the liminal space between life and death while clocking like 21,000 RPM is truly the best power source.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    So, is Congress still debating the voting rights thing? That was still going on late last night. Did they have a vote yet where Manchin and Sinema voted with the Republicans to let Republicans continue to ruin our democracy?

Headlines are reading that Schumer is still going to bring it to a vote and at least get them on record for agreeing to let our democracy die.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

As we have seen with numerous successful union campaigns in recent weeks and months (Starbucks! Kellogs! UAW!), the uprising does not always result in blood and defeat. You need to uncouple your notion of "uprising" from "violent revolt" and more broadly associate it with "aggressively utilizing democratic institutions and processes to install workers in key positions of power in order to better uplift their fellow laborers and reforge the infrastructure of the US into something which better serves the interests of the 99%".

Now, how probable that might be is a discussion we should probably take to the Labor thread. I'll drop the tangent here in the Congress thread as it's not super pertinent to the thread overall (until it becomes so...).

Are you sure that "worker uprising" and "worker revolution" can mean like... "unionizing"? That is certainly never been the context of what I've heard it used as before. And based on the conversations here, I'm not alone. So are you sure it's not you who is redefining it :D ?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    "Worker uprising" meaning or at least strongly including mass unionization and organization is pretty common rhetoric yeah

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

The violence is used against them, but they then do violence back. Which I'm not against! Labor has had many victories that are based in blood.

But we can't pretend that it was just owners killing laborers. Starts that way, and then escalates, because that's what happens when people are ok spilling blood.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Historically, philosophically, and practically speaking, police unions stand alone. The question is as relevant as, say, when mentioning how the population of the UK voted on Brexit, you were asked "And how did Scotland vote?"

DarkPrimus on

I would love to see your source on this.

• AnsagoAnsago Formerly QuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

I would love to see your source on this.

It looks like this was based on exit polling, so it may not be super accurate given the amount of mail-in voting that happened. But even so, it doesn't look great for Dems looking at union households to help keep them afloat.

ezgmb4r8vjw6.png

Ansago on
    edited January 2022
    That chart tells me the Dems need to work harder to earn the votes of workers, who have been quite underserved by them in at least my entire lifetime.

Though a nearly 60/40 split between Biden and Trump is still a huge indication that workers are vastly more in favor of the more-left option. That's a huge margin in electoral politics.

Hacksaw on
    That chart tells me the Dems need to work harder to earn the votes of workers, who have been quite underserved by them in at least my entire lifetime.

What hard work did Republicans do serving Union households to earn those votes?

Stimulus payments during COVID.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Say they were going to get rid of NAFTA and brings jobs back from Canada and Mexico

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Magell wrote: »

Say they were going to get rid of NAFTA and brings jobs back from Canada and Mexico

that would make sense if this was a 2016 exit poll. but it is a 2020 exit poll.

pretty sure the question remains valid.

edit

also looks like opinions on NAFTA bifurcate along liberal/conservative axes:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/11/13/americans-generally-positive-about-nafta-but-most-republicans-say-it-benefits-mexico-more-than-u-s/

sv2rb499r77e.png

seems like this dog won't hunt monsignor

jmcdonald on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

A lot of union households view membership almost as a birthright to be passed down to their kids. Combine that with latent xenophobia and an at times genuine fear of jobs being moved off shore and it's easy to get them to buy in to the idea that Democrats want to give their jobs away to someone else with a darker skin tone.

Organized Labor somehow becoming totally divorced from Socialism also didn't help things

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    jmcdonald wrote: »

that would make sense if this was a 2016 exit poll. but it is a 2020 exit poll.

pretty sure the question remains valid.

Workers have longer memories than this

Edit: we should take this to the labor thread

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    With my experience in heavy industry, it wouldn't surprise me at all if white USW, UAW, and IBEW workers voted for Trump by a wide margin.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

No, Democrats added those payments to the legislation, not Republicans. And Democrats were the sole votes for additional relief via ARP against the hard work of Republican efforts to prevent it's passage. If that constitutes hard work serving Union Households on the part of Republicans it would appear that Democrats are amazing.

Yeah, this seems like a topic for the Labor thread, not the Congress thread.

edited January 2022

And then they didn't. The only benefits to Unions in NAFTA-2 that I'm aware of were instigated by Canada. It was also passed 385-41 and 89-10

moniker on

And then they didn't. The only benefits to Unions in NAFTA-2 that I'm aware of were instigated by Canada. It was also passed 385-41 and 89-10

Cant believe lying turned out to be an effective political strategy

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

No, Democrats added those payments to the legislation, not Republicans. And Democrats were the sole votes for additional relief via ARP against the hard work of Republican efforts to prevent it's passage. If that constitutes hard work serving Union Households on the part of Republicans it would appear that Democrats are amazing.

Happened under a Republican president, so he gets the credit. We both know that's how people's perception works. It's the same reason Biden is going to eat shit for all the crap that Sinema and Manchin have pulled during his short time in office.

It's effectiveness sure doesn't seem like a good omen for the premise of a worker led democratic uprising ushering in broadly beneficial leftwing outcomes.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular

It's effectiveness sure doesn't seem like a good omen for the premise of a worker led democratic uprising ushering in broadly beneficial leftwing outcomes.

I'd hope a democratic workers uprising wouldn't use known liars, rapists, and billionaires to make their promises.

This discussion has been closed.