As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Never buy anything day one.

Pre-order everything, got it.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    My biggest concern/criticism is that it looks like only the three announced variants will be travel pokes.
    Due to the silhouettes on the UI to trigger them.
    Let me ride all the pokes.

Pre-order everything, got it.

No also don't do that thing.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    yeah arceus would have to have flawless reviews for me to pick it up. the environments look so bare bones. the areas in pokemon snap are much more detailed. i realize they are probably smaller. but we've all played open world games were 90% of it is just open fields with nothing in it and that isn't really immersive, it just takes longer to run from one place to another. the light/heavy attack variations are kind of interesting, but if there isn't going to be online battling against people a lot of the nuance is lost fighting AI.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    My biggest concern/criticism is that it looks like only the three announced variants will be travel pokes.

Voltorb and Growlithe have Hisuian variants and neither of them have been shown to be involved in travel. Same with Zorua/Zoroark

Edit: Also Scyther's new evo, Kleavor, hasn't been shown to have any special travel use, although cutting/rock smashing certainly would fit

Cruor on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I was ambivalent to the game at first. It looked fine... But this latest trailer got me good. As long as it doesn't take a full minute to get into a fight I'll be happy. Grinding requires so much patience in Pokemon games

edited January 2022
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I'm kinda unhyped about Arceus.
    The idea seems awesome, but what videos i have seen do not exactly sell me on it.
    That said, probably somewhat uncharitably on my part, the biggest "wait, what?" thing in them that has made me less than fully onboard was just having a guy in a labcoat standing there.
    Could you not go all in on ancient looks? Make them a priest or a monk or a sage or something?
    That, and that rather poor animations shown (not finished game footage, yes, i know), and some other stuff, have made me decide not to pre order, and instead wait a couple weeks after launch and see reactions from actual players before buying myself.

I think he’s supposed to be a westerner, but I still think the lab coat is a bit much. I think you can have someone look out of place while still era correct. I slapped purple on it to see how that’d make the character look. Thoughts?

rut7efjrnj0q.png
    jqqtldepxb5c.png
    Edit:
    2w7tz6zvaj9w.png
    8df1vbp4aur2.png

Endless_Serpents on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I just wanna know if there's gonna be a variant for Arcanine

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    I just wanna know if there's gonna be a variant for Arcanine

Due to typing, it dissolves before it can level up. You get to see it go extinct in real time.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

Voltorb and Growlithe have Hisuian variants and neither of them have been shown to be involved in travel. Same with Zorua/Zoroark

Edit: Also Scyther's new evo, Kleavor, hasn't been shown to have any special travel use, although cutting/rock smashing certainly would fit

I don't know the names of the travel pokes.
    Big dead fish, reindeer and Braviary

Cruor wrote: »

I don't know the names of the travel pokes.
    Big dead fish, reindeer and Braviary

Basculegion (Basculin Evo), Wyrdeer (Stantler Evo), and Hisuian Braviary (just a regional variant, it's unclear if Rufflet also has a Hisuian variant).

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Ah yes the old "give up lots of discounts, time savings and personal benefits for all the exact same games you would get anyway" because some random person on the internet doesn't understand people have different lives than them.

Yes a perfectly reasonable thing to say!

If it's an Ubisoft game you're better off holding off for a month and picking it up at $20. But Nintendo games never drop in cost so I don't think it matters there.

Ah yes the old "give up lots of discounts, time savings and personal benefits for all the exact same games you would get anyway" because some random person on the internet doesn't understand people have different lives than them.

I mean… the game will still be out a month after launch, in which time you can see if it looks good to you or not. The best discount is the money I save on not getting games because of good advertising.

I don’t actually expect people to look at my posts for advice, but that’s how I live and I am literally the richer for it.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean… the game will still be out a month after launch, in which time you can see if it looks good to you or not. The best discount is the money I save on not getting games because of good advertising.

I don’t actually expect people to look at my posts for advice, but that’s how I live and I am literally the richer for it.

And that's great for you!

But telling other people not to do things based on your own experiences and your own personal benefits is pretty silly.

If I didn't pre-order the games I did I would have spent a good $1000+ more on games and spent time that I otherwise would have been having fun just waiting and played all the exact same games.

So I and people like me would gain absolutely nothing by waiting by lose plenty. Clearly not ideal. There's absolutely nothing I'm going to learn a week after a game comes out that I won't know about the game at launch with the exception of potential story spoilers.

You do you, but what's good for you isn't good for everyone.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I like participating in the hype of new games, but I only buy digital, so "pre-ordering" is just buying the game an hour before release and starting the download

Not sure about Arceus though. I want it to be good, but I'm skeptical, so I'll probably wait and see

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

But telling other people not to do things based on your own experiences and your own personal benefits is pretty silly.

If I didn't pre-order the games I did I would have spent a good $1000+ more on games and spent time that I otherwise would have been having fun just waiting and played all the exact same games.

So I and people like me would gain absolutely nothing by waiting by lose plenty. Clearly not ideal. There's absolutely nothing I'm going to learn a week after a game comes out that I won't know about the game at launch with the exception of potential story spoilers.

So... you've never taken into consideration a recommendation from anyone, ever? You've never checked Yelp or watched a movie review?

Terrendos on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah that's a tad overreacting

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Terrendos wrote: »

So... you've never taken into consideration a recommendation from anyone, ever? You've never checked Yelp or watched a movie review?

That's so unrelated to what's going on here that I feel like you are being purposefully uncharitable. And even in the world where this was somehow similar to that... yea someone running into a thread about a particular game and just saying "No one should buy this game I didn't like it" would also be pretty darn obnoxious and not really the kind of "advice" most people actually listen to or take kindly to.

The "don't pre-order" statement is a whole *thing*. It's not just this person happening to mention it.

This drawing by an artist that goes by @savot is probably one of my fav pieces of fan art.

aasug505zhod.jpeg

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Is that pokemon trying to escape by eating the bars?

Nyysjan wrote: »
    Is that pokemon trying to escape by eating the bars?

I think it’s an admittedly pretty dumb Japanese convention of editing out objects in the way of what you want to show off, but my personal canon is that’s just what happens when you teach your pet Acid.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I didn't get the Diamond and Pearl remakes and initially wasn't paying attention to Legends, but I think I might be sold after seeing that gameplay video.

I'm curious if the Strong and Agile variants of moves will carry over to future mainline games.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I didn't get the Diamond and Pearl remakes and initially wasn't paying attention to Legends, but I think I might be sold after seeing that gameplay video.

I'm curious if the Strong and Agile variants of moves will carry over to future mainline games.

No, they won't.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Heads up, the game is out in the wild and in people's hands. So the full game will be leaked any time now.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Heads up, the game is out in the wild and in people's hands. So the full game will be leaked any time now.

I haven't seen any but I keep seeing people talking about there being leaks and spoilers all over the place so yeah...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited January 2022
    Images of all of the Hisuian forms are definitely out there. I looked because alternate forms of Pokemon don't fall into what I like to be blinded to for new releases. A lot of them I really like, despite not knowing their types. Lots of story/plot spoilers out in the wild too, so be careful about that as well.

Cruor on
    I ended up clicking on one because it was trending on twitter so I was curious. It was weird :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Spoilers!

mx7jxvlfsqaw.jpeg

These aren’t the designs!

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I saw a leak on Reddit. All the models I saw looked terrible save an obviously grass pokemon evolution of some sort.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think theyre mostly fine. They arent animated and missing any special effects they may have so Ill reserve judgment.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I saw a leak on Reddit. All the models I saw looked terrible save an obviously grass pokemon evolution of some sort.

Alternatively all the ones I was planning on using look fantastic!

Arcanine(so damn good), Zoroark(already shown) and(spoilers only because it hasn't been officially announced as having new forms)
    SLIGOO IS SO CUTE! AND TYPHLOSION! SLEEPY GHOST FLAME WEASEL!!!

Definitely some REALLY weird ones. But I'm mega hyped.

I really really love the
    Ursaring evolution. It's nice seeing something evolve and then look more like an actual animal. This also opens up Eviolite Ursaring and that's just neat.

I think the grand majority of them are great looking.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Oh no, wild shinies show in the overworld

Which is cool, but I'm going to be worried about missing them

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »
    Oh no, wild shinies show in the overworld

Which is cool, but I'm going to be worried about missing them

Oh really? That's a really fucking cool change!

Noooo! Pokemon center pre-orders are potentially delayed! I wanted my plushy T.T

But I'd rather play that weekend so I have canceled and switched to Amazon.

Bonus points though, Amazon has a discounted pre-order price. But I'd honestly much rather the plushy.

Oh well!

Noooo! Pokemon center pre-orders are potentially delayed! I wanted my plushy T.T

Bonus points though, Amazon has a discounted pre-order price. But I'd honestly much rather the plushy.

Oh well!

I really considered going that route but man do I not give any shits about Arceus as a pokemon :P If it was like, a Rowlett plushie I might have done it :3

edited January 2022
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Oh well!

I really considered going that route but man do I not give any shits about Arceus as a pokemon :P If it was like, a Rowlett plushie I might have done it :3

haha for sure, I'm not super into him either. So it doesn't hurt too bad. But as a little plushy he'd still be cute!

But if it were a cyndaquil... oh man cancelling would have really hurt.

DemonStacey on
    Hmm... digital or physical. Amazon doesn't say that it guarantees release date delivery. I might just do digital..

But if I go physical then my son can also play when I'm done....

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

Man Nintendo lawyers aren't just going to send a C&D, they're going to strait up merc him.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited January 2022
    Talith wrote: »

Man Nintendo lawyers aren't just going to send a C&D, they're going to strait up merc him.

2BALvKW.gif

Dude is clearly baiting Nintendo at this point. Using that hashtag with it?

urahonky on