As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Does it get any better?

SuperJaySS4SuperJaySS4 Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Here's the deal.
I've been playing for a little over 2 weeks now...
And I am a level 19 dwarf hunter...

So far, to me anyways, its been killing and looting, killing and looting...
Leveling is always fun...

But does it get any better than this? Or is this about it for the whole game...
Is there something I am missing? How come I am not as into as everyone seems to be?

What the hell am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!

I can only be who I am, but how I can be what I do not know?
SuperJaySS4 on

• LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No. Killing and looting. That's the game.

I hate sports games. Like, I can't understand why people would ever get together and sit around playing the latest version of Madden for hours on end, or how people would buy a new version of the same game every year. What am I doing wrong there? I'm not into it. That's it.

Extrapolate and apply as you see fit.

LineNoiz on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well there's your problem, you rolled Alliance.

Seriously though, it doesn't sound like this game is your cup of tea. WoW, and really all MMOs, are about character progression, so killing and looting is pretty much the core of the game. If you don't dig that, there's nothing wrong with you, it's just not for you.

Halfmex on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also the whole 20 area in leveling kinda blows. You don't really get any long quest chains. You don't really have any cool abilities yet. You don't really get to fight any humongous scary looking dungeon bosses. Etc. etc. etc. For me, the game starts getting more fun around the lvl30 area. (mount, cool instances, etc. though the leveling seems to drag. However, I have yet to level someone in this range since the xp changes) Slows down in the early 50's. And then gets fun again in outlands.

But that's just me.

Oh yeah, and you basically kill things and loot things the entire time. They just try to mix up how you do it and what order you do it in.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrumbBumCrumbBum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Killing and looting isn't all there is to WoW. In particular, killing is obviously the most important part of the game, but only facing PvE content is missing out on what makes WoW so great, the PvP. Any MMO can provide you with a PvE encounter, but most if not all lack the depth of PvP. The battlegrounds are an absolute blast to play in, and if I remember correctly you can start doing Arathi Basin or Warsong Gulch at level 19. They bracket out the lower levels in 10's, so I can't remember if they do 10-19 or not. Having a good group of people to play with helps a lot too, I doubt I would play at all if around 7 buddies of mine were not playing too. In other words, at the very least try and join a guild where you can group with others.

CrumbBum on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CrumbBum wrote: »
    Killing and looting isn't all there is to WoW. In particular, killing is obviously the most important part of the game, but only facing PvE content is missing out on what makes WoW so great, the PvP. Any MMO can provide you with a PvE encounter, but most if not all lack the depth of PvP. The battlegrounds are an absolute blast to play in, and if I remember correctly you can start doing Arathi Basin or Warsong Gulch at level 19. They bracket out the lower levels in 10's, so I can't remember if they do 10-19 or not. Having a good group of people to play with helps a lot too, I doubt I would play at all if around 7 buddies of mine were not playing too. In other words, at the very least try and join a guild where you can group with others.

What game are we talking about again?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2008
    /shrug. The battlegrounds are a big part of WoW, if you don't like them that's OK too, but for the most part I've always enjoyed rolling around in AB, AV, and Warsong. Being turtled in AV can suck, but these days on my cluster it is a rare match that the horde or alliance start a huge snooze fest.

CrumbBum on
  • goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    what makes WoW so great, the PvP. Any MMO can provide you with a PvE encounter, but most if not all lack the depth of PvP. The battlegrounds are an absolute blast to play in

Im taking bets Im taking bets

MS warrior?

and ...

Munkus is going to pwn dis thraed

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The group content is where the game excels, solo play is dull and repetitive mostly.

815165 on
    edited February 2008
    goodtimes wrote: »
    MS warrior?

Not even close. Play a shaman, but class in the battlegrounds tends to be slightly ill relevant simply due to the fact that you are throwing a lot of people together at once. It's more about having a mix of classes who know how to work together. Arena, that's different, but as far as BG goes if you have some friends or guild mates who aren't goofy it can be a good time.

CrumbBum on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can't really make a judgement about whether you 'like' the game until you get into the 30s or 40s, in my opinion. The higher you level, the more your class and the game start to look like what they are in the outland, which is where most of your playtime is going to take place.

At this point, you still don't have a lot of your core skills, the instances you have access to aren't particularly interesting (deadmines is kinda cool, but there aren't many entertaining things to actually do in there), and a lot of the people you're playing with probably don't have any idea what's going on, or are alts who are just interested in leveling as quickly as possible.

The first thing I would do is get into a large-ish guild, even if a lot of the people in there are dumb. The social aspect, even if it just means finding people to do instances/quests with, is part of what makes it fun. And then I'd level up to level 40 or so, doing as many quests and instances as you can. It won't take you too long, and if you still aren't liking it at that point, it might be that it's just not for you.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have you done the Deadmines yet?

You need to do the Deadmines.

Get your ass to Westfall.

Garthor on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    goodtimes wrote: »
    what makes WoW so great, the PvP. Any MMO can provide you with a PvE encounter, but most if not all lack the depth of PvP. The battlegrounds are an absolute blast to play in
    Im taking bets Im taking bets

MS warrior?

and ...
    Munkus is going to pwn dis thraed
    That's what I thought too, but shaman also works. I spent 4 months in AV grinding to Commander under the old honor system with my MS warrior main, and now I hop into the Valley on my shaman and chain-heal the shit out of everyone. Having six people rush off and curbstomp the hunter who dropped a mark on you feels good. :V

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's the deal.
    I've been playing for a little over 2 weeks now...
    And I am a level 19 dwarf hunter...

So far, to me anyways, its been killing and looting, killing and looting...
    Leveling is always fun...

But does it get any better than this? Or is this about it for the whole game...
    Is there something I am missing? How come I am not as into as everyone seems to be?

What the hell am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!

I was going to ask what MMO but, really, this works for any of them.

Accualt on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate to say it, but 70 is when the game really opens up. You can do some awesome instances, score some really cool gear and level professions for fun and (maybe) a bit of profit. No more pressure to level, just hop around doing what you feel like doing. Money is easy to come by, so you can spec from PvE to PvP and back anytime you feel like it. And for me, fine-tuning gear is tons of fun (I was a huge Diablo II addict in this regard, always looking for those extra 1 or 2 points for my suit). There's definitely some less-than-enjoyable stuff, like rep and honor grinding, as well as farming for materials and money if you run low, but you're not limited by anything anymore (raids and heroics being the exception).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No matter what, I always come back.. play a few levels, and then quit for another few days. WoW has some kind of charm to it that I can't identify with. The game is essentially dressing Barbie dolls... and yet we all succumb to the mesmerizing call of the almighty Ding!

The game lacks action. WoW needs a physics engine. That would change everything.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited February 2008
    The next expansion is supposed to bring out a new battle ground with sieges and siege gear which I think would answer a small bit of your complaint. This is of course, if they make it happen.

CrumbBum on
  • zombiejesuszombiejesus Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Soon you will be able to kill and not loot in a group!

zombiejesus on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A bunch of people never get to the level cap and still seem to play happily along for years - I know a couple of guys who have played since launch and I don't think ever reached 60, let alone 70 - they just change servers/raise alts and it keeps them happy. I also used to occasionally listen to a podcast called the Instance, and as of April 07 the host was in a similar position to my friends, so there you have it, three people to prove my point. Woo

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I did play to 70, and did the instances (which were fun). Then I realized that everything was turning into repetition after a certain point (as if it wasnt repetitive enough already). I was killing the same bosses over and over for marginally better gear. Why did I want this gear? So I could get better gear in the future and prance around in shiny stuff. It just takes away so much time for so little reward. So I eventually quit.

The PvP was fun, for a while, but got old very very fast. I am personally looking forward to WAR and Conan for this reason. I do not like PvE that much, and I'd love an MMO focused on the PvP as endgame instead.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    Have you done the Deadmines yet?

You need to do the Deadmines.

Get your ass to Mars.

I dunno about how it's all meant to be best at 70, the most fun i've had playing WoW has all been pre-70. Perhaps because it was when i'm in a group with guildies and first discovering new places, like how me and a fellow guildie at level 30 managed to somehow get to the caverns of time and survive. Of course, all we could do was look around.. but it was the fun of managing to get to an area meant for higher levels.

For example, at 70 all the latter quests appear to turn into big group quests. Which isn't necessarily bad. It's just bad if the rest of your guild with the exception of you and another guy are below level 70. And because they're essentially the last of the group quests very few people are willing or able to even get the quest.

The fun of pre-70 is that most people in WoW are pre-70, therefore it's easy to find people to group up with and generally have fun.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The key word there "have fun" :)

I've been playing WoW since closed beta although I usually play for a year straight then take a few months off. My last break was a few months ago. I basically play 2-3 nights every other week with my guildies -- the game held no more interest to me itself but I love my guild. 90% of us have been together since closed beta if not within the first few weeks of retail. We're very casual and we've even become RL-friends, too.

We've been working on Karazhan the past few months, we raid 3 nights every other week which allows us to make progress but still have plenty of off-time. Most of my guildies are on every day or close to it but we prefer 5-mans to spending 10 hours in a 10-man. More just that it takes more concentration and serious play vs fooling around.

I wouldn't be playing WoW anymore if it weren't for my friends there. But. I do have them. Lots of them and that's what makes the game fun. I've started playing more the last few weeks and having a blast again. I've decided my main character has enough to be happy and am happy for my hardcore non-guildie friends that look awesome in their gear, too. In the meantime I am leveling another character, helping people of all levels along the way and trying to make new friends, too.

Basically, MMOs are all about what you make of it and just remember: it's a game. Have fun (whatever that is to you is up to you) and as soon as you're not having fun, stop :)

Timmer on
  • SuperJaySS4SuperJaySS4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I took some of your opinions and advices to heart...

First of all, joined a guild with some other players that were around my level.
    Secondly, even when my guild members weren't on, I would actually mingle with some other players in Inns...eventually forming groups...not even to do dungeons and instances...but just normal looting quests. Turns out this way, they get done a lot faster, and I can kill things way higher level than I am...

NEways...after a week or so of doing this...

I LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME!

SuperJaySS4 on
    I can only be who I am, but how I can be what I do not know?
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This weeks' PA podcast describes it perfectly; wow is just a focal point for social interaction.

815165 on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    This weeks' PA podcast describes it perfectly; every MMO ever is just a focal point for social interaction.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This weeks' PA podcast describes it perfectly; wow is just a focal point for social interaction.

What if you hate people?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    What if you hate people?
    That's what EVE is for. :V

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif