As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hmm... digital or physical. Amazon doesn't say that it guarantees release date delivery. I might just do digital..

But if I go physical then my son can also play when I'm done....

You can always go for physical and wait to see if it ships on time. If it isn't on it's way to make it to you launch day then just go digital and cancel the physical.

That's what I've done for a few that were uncertain in the past.

That's the great part of physical pre-orders that makes them completely worthwhile. You can cancel whenever and even just return it after it arrives. No downsides and no worries.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Hmm... digital or physical. Amazon doesn't say that it guarantees release date delivery. I might just do digital..

I have had nothing but bad experiences pre-ordering stuff at Amazon. They usually suffer from big delays for some stupid reason (I swear Amazon over-sells for the stock it gets)

Honestly if you want physical and you want release day, you're better off going to a store and buying it in person IMO

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I have had nothing but bad experiences pre-ordering stuff at Amazon. They usually suffer from big delays for some stupid reason (I swear Amazon over-sells for the stock it gets)

Honestly if you want physical and you want release day, you're better off going to a store and buying it in person IMO

Yeah usually I do pickup from Best Buy but with Omicron doing it's thing right now I am going to avoid the stores near me for as long as possible. I might do what Demon says and just get it digitally if it hasn't arrived on that date and then return it later.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Looks like impressions so far are VERY positive.

Most I've been excited for a new pokemon in a while!

Do we know if this game has any multiplayer aspects to it?

Do we know if this game has any multiplayer aspects to it?

Trading only currently.

Cool, thanks!

What has me super jazzed is that people are saying that it can actually be challenging. And exploring can feel dangerous. Like need to run away from wild pokes or you will get wrecked sorta dangerous.

Like I don't think I've gotten wiped in a Pokemon game since the originals. So sign me up!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    So when y'all talk about Starters, just as a generic category of pokemon, do you count Pikachu?

...what about Eevee?

e: also, and this is just a musing of mine, but imagine if Jolteon and Zapdos had instead been Leafeon and (something Legendary Grass Flying), further encoding the Fire-Water-Grass triat into the game's DNA

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So when y'all talk about Starters, just as a generic category of pokemon, do you count Pikachu?

...what about Eevee?

e: also, and this is just a musing of mine, but imagine if Jolteon and Zapdos had instead been Leafeon and (something Legendary Grass Flying), further encoding the Fire-Water-Grass triat into the game's DNA

I dont because neither evolve if they're the starter which to me is kind of the point

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

...what about Eevee?

You'd have to make Articuno Water/Flying instead of Ice/Flying.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular

...what about Eevee?

I dont because neither evolve if they're the starter which to me is kind of the point

I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to categorization; generally I think when people refer to a "starter Pokemon", they're specifically referring to one of the obligatory Fire/Water/Grass three-stage first-available Pokemon lines. Pikachu and Eevee serve as your first Pokemon in various side-games and remakes, but I feel the question "what's your favorite starter Pokemon" assumes it's from those specific three-way choices.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Terrendos wrote: »

...what about Eevee?

Yeah but that'd be easy enough because iirc Jynx is the only other ice type in original Gen I, so change Jynx to another type and get rid of Ice in Gen I (I'm fine with it as a type, but it's super weak until at least Hoenn), and make all the Ice/Water types be just Water (/ and maybe something else).

Kupi wrote: »

...what about Eevee?

I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to categorization; generally I think when people refer to a "starter Pokemon", they're specifically referring to one of the obligatory Fire/Water/Grass three-stage first-available Pokemon lines. Pikachu and Eevee serve as your first Pokemon in various side-games and remakes, but I feel the question "what's your favorite starter Pokemon" assumes it's from those specific three-way choices.

That's fair, but at the same time, I don't feel someone's favorite starter being Pikachu would be that uncommon.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

...what about Eevee?

Yeah but that'd be easy enough because iirc Jynx is the only other ice type in original Gen I, so change Jynx to another type and get rid of Ice in Gen I (I'm fine with it as a type, but it's super weak until at least Hoenn), and make all the Ice/Water types be just Water (/ and maybe something else).

There was also Lapras and seal/dewgong. Seel may have only been water though

All the Gen Is with Ice type are Jynx, Articuno, or are Water/Ice (Dewgong, Cloyster, Lapras). The Water/Ice types you can just drop Ice, Articuno you could just change to Water, and Jynx I'd say change Ice to something else.

Okay but then:

1. You've also got to change Lorelei, she was specifically an Ice-Type trainer. Misty already exists so you'd have to pick a completely different type.
    2. You're eliminating the single counter to the Dragon type in Gen 1. Dragon itself doesn't count, because the only Gen 1 Dragon-type move is Dragon Rage, which deals fixed damage.

This quickly spirals into a significant worsening of the game for no real reason.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    There's only 3 ghost, you may as well cut them. Normal is boring, it can go. Flying isn't a real type, it's just normal but in the air, get rid of it. Rock and ground is superfluous, merge them. Rock/paper/scissors gameplay is boring, remove types altogether. Physical and special split doesn't make sense, merge them. Evolution doesn't work like that in real life, your pokemon can only evolve once every million years. Stats are just math, and math isn't good gameplay, drop that.

There's only 3 ghost, you may as well cut them. Normal is boring, it can go. Flying isn't a real type, it's just normal but in the air, get rid of it. Rock and ground is superfluous, merge them. Rock/paper/scissors gameplay is boring, remove types altogether. Physical and special split doesn't make sense, merge them. Evolution doesn't work like that in real life, your pokemon can only evolve once every million years. Stats are just math, and math isn't good gameplay, drop that.

I'm already familiar with logical fallacies, I didn't need an example.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Pikachu isn't a starter.
    Pikachu is a cheat code to get all three starters without trading.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

I'm already familiar with logical fallacies, I didn't need an example.

OK, then without the sarcasm: why on earth would you want to remove a type? It seems like the only reason you've given for it is to make Articuno a water/flying instead, and there aren't many ice types. Well, there aren't many ghost or dragon types either, why not cut them? And the difference between water and flying isn't trivial: you'd change Articuno from taking half fire damage to double fire damage, you'd make Lapras resist fire, you'd remove ice-type moves from water type pokemon to counter grass types, remove a strong counter for dragon types...

Where's the benefit?

edited January 2022
    Because I wasn't thinking about, or particularly curious or concerned with, any of those other cases. I just don't care - they have nothing to do with what I'd proposed

e: for the record, I wasn't necessarily even really suggesting getting rid of Ice. Just noting that, especially without Articuno, the Ice type feels super samey with Water type, so you could maybe drop it. But, the ground/rock argument is a good point, and leaving Ice in is obviously fine and not actually a problem for my original what-if.

Tox on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The fact that they created all these different types but didn’t have at least one pure version of each type in Gen I is wacky to me

Gen I is so weird

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @Tox
    An alternate take: Remove Moltres from the trio and make a ghost/flying bird, so all three of them are removed from the starter types.

Anyways, yeah, Gen 1 types are totally haphazard, you could easily consolidate a few of them, or better spread out the existing types amongst the crew. Jynx ought to have been ice/ghost and Hypno needed a secondary type to not be crap Alakazam, as examples.

edited January 2022
    Tox
    An alternate take: Remove Moltres from the trio and make a ghost/flying bird, so all three of them are removed from the starter types.

You could, but seeing as my original idea was meant to, "further encode the Fire-Water-Grass triat into the game's DNA" I'm not sure how that's related, but you could, I suppose.

Tox on
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I feel like the fire/water/grass trio is already pretty deeply encoded. I have to consciously avoid just having 3 slots of my teams dedicated to those 3 types most of the time.

dspm85cxysoy.png

I'm so ready!

@Tox

Anyways, yeah, Gen 1 types are totally haphazard, you could easily consolidate a few of them, or better spread out the existing types amongst the crew. Jynx ought to have been ice/ghost and Hypno needed a secondary type to not be crap Alakazam, as examples.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that when they made Gen 1 they weren't really planning on making the game "fair" or "balanced" in terms of any sort of competitive play; multiplayer battling was kind of an afterthought in terms of the devs never anticipating that people would design and build custom teams for multiplayer or anything. When you think of it in those terms, there's no reason you can't have Hypno be a poor man's Alakazam, or have Psychic and Dragon as the most powerful types with few/no real counters. It reminds me a lot of the stories I heard about the early days of Magic: the Gathering. The creator never anticipated that people would buy hundreds of booster packs of cards to assemble decks of only the most powerful cards, so he had some that he knew, even as he designed them, that they were completely broken. It didn't really matter if your opponent had a single Black Lotus or a Time Walk because he'd probably only draw it once every 4-5 games, and even then a lot of times even a single powerful card isn't going to save a match that's a foregone conclusion. Once the game's popularity took off, those cards were banned from most formats and never reprinted, but you can't do that with Pokemon.

Looking at Red/Blue with hindsight makes a lot of design decisions seem kind of baffling.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So speaking of Pokemon and guns, Nintendo Legal immediately set off after those Pokemon FPS videos.

Wonder if they can do anything about this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcybNpsc3-E

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Legally distinct enough I'd guess.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    You can definitely tell the "pals" are based on certain Pokemon. Just in the splash of the video in the previous post you can see not-cobalion, not-braviary, not-piplup, not-electabuzz, not-cottonee, not-celebi, and not-ducklett.

But honestly pokemon needs some kind of competition so they have to do something creative with the franchise.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    You can tell that the 90's nostalgia wave is hitting its peak now, what with the burgeoning trend of "what if children's media, but dark and edgy?!"

Can't wait for Rob Liefeld presents Mario, now with more pickets and fewer feet.

Cruor on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Temtem had some designs that were pretty close too. The problem with the shooter is it used actual Pokemon and I think we know by now that you just dont copy certain IPs.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    Temtem had some designs that were pretty close too. The problem with the shooter is it used actual Pokemon and I think we know by now that you just dont copy certain IPs.

That FPS just looked like troll bait. There's no way in a MILLION years you'd think it would be cool to use Pokemon illegally in a FPS game.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    You can tell that the 90's nostalgia wave is hitting its peak now, what with the burgeoning trend of "what if children's media, but dark and edgy?!"

Wasn't that basically the 90s trend? :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

I admittedly didn't get very far in temtem before I got bored, but most of the monster designs were awful. Like they didn't look like anything. It was like they made some random shapes and slapped some eyes in weird places. They also didn't really do anything new to the formula, so it was basically like playing a bad Pokemon fan game... Which is basically is.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Enigmedic wrote: »

I admittedly didn't get very far in temtem before I got bored, but most of the monster designs were awful. Like they didn't look like anything. It was like they made some random shapes and slapped some eyes in weird places. They also didn't really do anything new to the formula, so it was basically like playing a bad Pokemon fan game... Which is basically is.

Yeah that was my general impression too. It was a clone made to be old school and thus get rid of a lot of the QOL that Pokemon has, which isnt a ton anyway at the time but more and more these days, and other assorted interesting decisions. I did make it through the content they had and they are continuing to make new content for it but the designs are still meh to me. And so was the evolution method. I wonder if they fixed/changed that. It was that if you got what is essentially the charmander (who in pokemon would evolve at 16 to charmeleon) you had to get a certain + amount of levels for it to evolve. And tems of lower evolve got higher levels in certain areas. So if you got a near max level 3 state evolution tem you might not be able to evolve it to its max form or at least not till you maxed its level out. Which was a lot rougher, more old school style heh.

Jubal77 on
    i wanted to like it, because it had a lot of hype and people wanted there to be a competitive scene. but i thought it was boring, and then there was an uproar about breeding items being hard to get or something. i dunno i didnt get that far. but if that was a complaint, it wasnt going to be worth my time. that was a complaint i had/have about pokemon anyway. s&s made strides to make it easier, but it still felt like a lot of artificial hoops. you could just use team codes from streamers or whatever, but then theyre not really your pokemon.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i really like their "totoro face on zangoose in raichu colors" design. really peak "is that...?" energy.

Reviews are out and it's looking good!