As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They're doing a Toei Spider-Man Marvel Legends. I swear to God this is all leading up to him showing up in Across the Spider-Verse

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    An easy "category" of my organizing is Sealed in Box stuff. So I figured I could photograph it and share it.

These have been through a lot of trips, so the boxes aren't in immaculate condition. They also generally run counter to my philosophy as a collector. They are essentially "Storing air."

gD37AZLh.jpg

This is the full collection of toys. Top to bottom, left to right:
    Generations Selects "Alternate Universe" Optimus Prime
    Combiner Hunters SDCC Exclusive 3-pack
    My Little Pony Royal Wedding pack (TRU Exclusive)
    Toad Amiibo
    TF x Ghostbusters Ectotron
    Lego Ideas Tron Legacy
    TF x Top Gun Maverick
    TF Classics Devastator (Energon repaint)
    Star Wars comics pack - Vong & Kyle Katarn
    Star Wars comics pack - Thrawn & Talon Kaarde
    Star Wars comics pack - Antares Draco * Ganner Kreig
    Lego Infinity Saga - Thor's Bedroom
    TF x BTTF Gigawatt
    TF x X-Men Ultimate X-Spanse
    War for Cybertron Pit of Judgment

B6J6XzLh.jpg

Ghostbusters, Top Gun, and Tron are big movies in my life. These mean a lot to me, therefore, as the sole toy representations of these things. Well.. except Tron. That one I'm saving to assemble for later, after I order a bunch of parts to improve the base.

Toad was an "Amiibo are rare, so buy two!" situation that I don't necessarily regret, but I do plan on getting rid of it.

2LIdmZxh.jpg

The Infinity War set is another "Wait until I have room" set. Classics Devastator I've tried to sell, and it led to sour me on eBay! I can explain more if people are interested.

Ultimate X-Spanse was when I was thinking of collecting all TF x toys. That... got broken pretty quickly. This was an iffy purchase and I have no real attachment.

VYq9leBh.jpg

Comic Packs were bought back when I was collecting Star Wars and vehicles - Kyle Katarn and Thrawn were big deals for me! I also was huge into Star Wars Legacy, so I got this and the other set (which I opened). These I really want to go to a good home.

The Pit of Judgement included an exclusive toy or two in the WFC line, so I picked it up. I didn't think it would look as impressive if I opened it.

atE05IHh.jpg

I collected a bunch of Chrysalis toys for My Little Pony when I was big into that. Well, bigger than now. This was.. another quick mistake, that I really want to sell.

cJvtETBh.jpg

This is one of my crown jewel items. It is a beautiful bit of packaging, extremely cool repaints of the toys represented (including one I never got in its regular form!) and just.. is amazing. This one's a keeper. I've thought many times of selling it due to the space it takes up, but every time I open it up I just grin and smile at how badass this trio of women look. And.. well, that's it. If I'm gonna keep my Titans and Combiners, I need to keep the ladies tasked with keeping them under control, right?

Edit: Oh hey, found one more!

u4WKlDPh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh man, those comic packs are really awesome and I never knew they existed. Hate to see how much they go for these days.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    If you ever do finally decide to get rid of that Combiner Hunter 3-pack, let me know ; )

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Got my final set for the Magic Square Constructicons this past week. This may be one of the most entertaining sets of bots I've purchased. MakeToys' Giant is what got me into collecting in the first place, and the designer for this version just absolutely killed it. I can't believe what he pulled off at this scale.

Artereis on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting on that Unicron. =p

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Speaking of "moons"...

It never ceases to amaze me that Hasbro made this.

k6isbvdh.jpg

Zjs6Ikdh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I love the storage for the figures in it. Those were the craziest crossover Transformers ever (them and the other comic ones). I still have the X-Wing on its card displayed on the wall.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The X-wing was so goddamned fragile. >.< I have it bagged up already, and thankfully nothing on it has broken.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just wish they had come up with original characters for the robots instead of "It's Darth Vader, as a robot"

It's why I like the current crossover toys. Granted Habsro's ability to name the things sucks ass so bit of a "bitter with the betters" situation.

I don't think I've ever laid out all my Star Wars vehicles next to each other to take a photo. And I still haven't, as this is about half of them.

So much space. >.< And they aren't even all in proper scale! Which blows my mind.

Still, this contains my main source of pride: Having an X, Y, B, and A, and a TIE Fighter, Bomber, Advanced, and Interceptor.

Hopefully they'll find good homes.

... I would use my bed to lay out all the vehicles, but I want to make sure I thoroughly dust (and maybe wash) them first, because the large surfaces pick up a ton of dust.

LX6tyqHh.jpg

Urt8lJdh.jpg

oelGeCPh.jpg

That reminds me that I have a First Order TIE in parts in a bin. Bought it for cheap from Ross a few years ago since I never had a TIE growing up.

No idea why I did it other than it was cheap since I have the UCS TIE on the shelf (and two smaller ones now).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/12210/MODEROID+Power+Loader.html

Anyone have any experience with the Good Smile company and preorders?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I pre-ordered a Nendoroid (sp?) Stitch and Sorcerer Mickey. They shipped them just fine after COVID delays of course. I also have a Hamtaro on pre-order with them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Here's the other half of my Star Wars vehicles.

They just take up... SO MUCH ROOM. And of course, I was attracted to the big, detailed ones. Which was naturally a stupid thing to do. I have memories of getting the AT-TE, where I basically somehow either knew or called Wal-mart across town from where I was living. I didn't have a car at the time, so I rode the poor bus service across town to pick it up. And then I walked in the chilly night across my campus to where I was living. I was so afraid I'd get mugged.

The only item I would consider keeping is the AT-AT, to be honest. Yes, it's a massive piece... but it does have quite a bit of shelf presence as a result. But I think I'd even be willing to part with that, for the right price.

rkUdqnGh.jpg

BgWLxwLh.jpg

PvDJO5Oh.jpg
    (I know I've seen the other blaster/missile for the tank around here somewhere in the last few days...)

dzpUMW3h.jpg

edited January 2022
    You should swap the AT-AT with the AT-TE since there is a funny story that goes with it. Then swap that out for the UCS Lego AT-AT.

Edit: I'll be honest and didn't know that Hasbro made so many vehicles back then. I mean I should have known it, but honestly just wasn't paying attention for some strange reason. I also love the stuffed animals riding the AT-AT into battle.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    You should swap the AT-AT with the AT-TE since there is a funny story that goes with it. Then swap that out for the UCS Lego AT-AT.

Edit: I'll be honest and didn't know that Hasbro made so many vehicles back then. I mean I should have known it, but honestly just wasn't paying attention for some strange reason. I also love the stuffed animals riding the AT-AT into battle.

While the AT-TE has a bit of a story behind it (as do most of my toys that I care about), it's... not that big a deal. The AT-AT was used to win me a Christmas decorating contest at work once, where I had the snowspeeder tripping the AT-AT using a string of christmas lights. Also, the AT-TE isn't as good a toy. It has issues with posability thanks to the joints in the legs. It can be fixed using simple plastic tubing, but I never got around to doing that.

And the UCS AT-AT is SOOOOOO much more expensive than what I have.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

My fiance has ordered dozens of Figma and Nendroids from them direct with no issues at all. Sometimes even counting shipping costs she's come out ahead ordering direct vs ordering via BBTS or the like.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

BBTS should be a vendor of last resort. They put an automatic markup on everything.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    BBTS should be a vendor of last resort. They put an automatic markup on everything.

Not everything, but often. They’re usually slower too

However, their Pile of Loot is very convenient, and $4 flat shipping is pretty damn good and usually makes up for the inflated prices

I like them a lot, though mostly not for imported stuff

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm not preordering Transformers from BBTS anymore.

I used to do it because their "pile of loot" policy is excellent for saving on shipping and reducing shipping waste. However, the last couple of times I've ordered from them, they'll get one product in and the rest will take so long my pile expires, meanwhile Hasbro Pulse has had the items up for preorder, sold out, and restocked kept them in stock for awhile now. Meanwhile I'm stilling waiting for BBTS to get some Tigatrons.

Only thing bad about Hasbro Pulse is that they'll ship everything in it's own boxes. It isn't bad for collectors (although sometimes the cards come bent a bit) it is quite annoying having so much cardboard and feeling bad about it. I have kept a lot of the better boxes to ship things out, wife made a valance out of some, and recycled the rest. But such a waste of shipping company time and possibly losing one box out of 3.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I love Entertainment Earth the most, they've never hassled about a damaged box return. I have usually 10-20 items at a time on pre-order.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    My MP-44's knees broke a while ago (as expected, sadly), so I had to take them apart to fix them. It also gave me an opportunity to do this:
    vSqpeAwl.jpg
    zVikZ13l.jpg
    dRCxM3Ll.jpg
    dsEAJynl.jpg

Delduwath on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My general rule of thumb with BBTS is if I can get it elsewhere I will (mostly Target, Amazon, and Hasbro Pulse). The Walmart in my area is abysmal for stock, and honestly the Targets are only slightly better. I've mentioned in the past that it's not unheard of for all of the Targets in my area to skip full waves, and then occasionally back fill with them (it sucked when I was trying to complete out full sets during the CW cycle).

The stuff I get through BBTS is usually the stuff that sold out quickly in the other stores, or normally wasn't available elsewhere. They are slow getting stuff, and there is the upcharge, but I've rarely had them cancel items on me.

Trainbot #2 is hitting Hasbro Pulse.

Finding the first one is already getting harder, and my mind is still not sold on picking these up... or the Moon studios ones, which I don't really like the looks of in train mode.

Arggggh.

Athenor wrote: »

Finding the first one is already getting harder
    Are you sure? Looks like it's still available at
    BBTS - https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/181199
    ToyDojo - https://toydojo.com/products/transformers-masterpiece-gattai-mpg-01-trainbot-shouki-raiden-combiner
    The Chosen Prime - https://www.thechosenprime.com/tmpgshouki
    Ages 3 And Up - https://www.agesthreeandup.com/transformers-masterpiece-mpg-01-railbot-shouki-raiden-combiner/

BBTS has it for way cheaper than the others, which is surprising to me.

The train modes on the Takara bots are absolutely beautiful, for sure, but the robot and combined modes look so distant from my personal tastes that I am absolutely certain I will never get them. The Moon Studio trains look quite compressed (I wouldn't call them "chibi", but they're certainly not nearly the right length), but I think they still look completely fine, and the robot/combined modes look so clean that I am very strongly considering getting them, despite having 0 attachment to Raiden.

Another thing to consider, though, is size. The Moon Studio guy is gonna be big, in the 20"-24" range that has become the de facto standard for 3P MP-scale combiners; the six combiner members are also quite tall, even a little taller than they're supposed to be I think, in order to achieve that combined mode height.

I'm not sure how tall the MPG Raiden is gonna be, I remember reading 16" at some point, but I've also seen some forum posts recently saying he'll be even shorter? I'm not sure how much of it is "Internet broken telephone" and how much is accurate, but it's definitely going to be smaller than 20"-24". That's a significant difference! If you want a Raiden in combined mode, and individual aesthetic details don't bother you one way or the other, and you want to save shelf space, then the MPG version is the clear choice.

edited January 2022
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Finding the first one is already getting harder
    Are you sure? Looks like it's still available at
    BBTS - https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/181199
    ToyDojo - https://toydojo.com/products/transformers-masterpiece-gattai-mpg-01-trainbot-shouki-raiden-combiner
    The Chosen Prime - https://www.thechosenprime.com/tmpgshouki
    Ages 3 And Up - https://www.agesthreeandup.com/transformers-masterpiece-mpg-01-railbot-shouki-raiden-combiner/

BBTS has it for way cheaper than the others, which is surprising to me.

The train modes on the Takara bots are absolutely beautiful, for sure, but the robot and combined modes look so distant from my personal tastes that I am absolutely certain I will never get them. The Moon Studio trains look quite compressed (I wouldn't call them "chibi", but they're certainly not nearly the right length), but I think they still look completely fine, and the robot/combined modes look so clean that I am very strongly considering getting them, despite having 0 attachment to Raiden.

Entertainment Earth has the first one as well.
    https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/transformers-masterpiece-mpg01-trainbot-shouki/hsf4088

Edit: On the other hand it seems that Moon Studio ones are selling out.

Double edit: If you are undecided Athenor, I have both Takara trains on pre-order so you could live vicariously through me. Mainly because I love trains and their alt modes look like model trains.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »

My fiance has ordered dozens of Figma and Nendroids from them direct with no issues at all. Sometimes even counting shipping costs she's come out ahead ordering direct vs ordering via BBTS or the like.

Could anyone help confirm that the Ripley model I linked is colored already? I'm guessing it'll have some kind of assembly, which is fine, but I really don't want to paint the thing.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited January 2022
    HexDex wrote: »

Could anyone help confirm that the Ripley model I linked is colored already? I'm guessing it'll have some kind of assembly, which is fine, but I really don't want to paint the thing.

It is a plastic model kit, so it is going to be all the parts on runners that you’ll need to snip off and snap it all together. So it’s not going to be painted, but the plastic should be in the correct colors. Water-slide decals are included to add some markings and details if you want more accuracy.

Basically it’s like a Gundam kit if you’re familiar.

Here’s a recent review of another Moderoid kit that may help give you an idea:

https://youtu.be/CKuVZDQvdXU

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    It sucks that your MP44 broke. Did you have to replace the entire thigh?

Heffling wrote: »
    It sucks that your MP44 broke. Did you have to replace the entire thigh?
    It seems like it's practically guaranteed to fail; the design seems incredibly backwards. The ratcheting part of a ratchet joint only works when the two parts that have the ratcheting teeth on them are inseparable from the part they're attached to. For MP-44, the bad ratchet is in the knee, so one half of the ratchet is connected to the thigh and the other half of the ratchet is connected to the lower leg. We'd expect the lower leg and the ratcheting piece to be connected to each other firmly and permanently, and to always move together as one, but that ain't the case. For some reason I can't understand, the ratcheting teeth are not molded into the lower leg - they're molded into a little ring, which is fitted into the lower leg. Maybe this way it could distribute stress better? Dunno. Anyway, the ring with the ratchet teeth is made of a harder plastic than the lower leg that it's set into, so what ends up happening is that as you bend that knee joint, the two halves of the ratcheting mechanism provide more resistance against each other than the plastic-pushing-against-plastic force that keeps that little ring in place. The little ratchet ring pushes into the softer leg plastic over and over, and eventually the leg plastic starts to deform. At a certain point, it gets bent enough that it can't provide physical resistance against the ratchet component, and then the ratchet component starts to grind through the leg plastic even more freely, deforming it more and more. I'm not a toy designer, materials engineer, or any of that, so I can't even begin to imagine why they went with this design, but to my uneducated brain it seems like the better option would have been to
    1) Make the leg and the ratchet component one single piece of plastic, or
    2) Make the leg and the ratchet component out of the same type of plastic, or
    3) Connect the leg and the ratchet component more thoroughly, so it couldn't just push against the plastic, or
    4) Not design such a dang overwrought ratcheting joint in the first place!

I don't know if there's a way to get a replacement piece, tbh. As far as I know, Takara only sends out replacement pieces to customers within Japan, which I am not. The "fix", such as it is, is to open up the thigh, which lets you open up the knee, which lets you get at the little ratchety ring and the lower leg. The basic fix (which is what I did) is to glue those pieces to each other, so there's more of a connection that just "plastic pushes against plastic". I tried using Tamiya plastic cement, but it seemed to do exactly nothing, so maybe these plastics are not the kind of plastic that the cement works on (or maybe I just didn't let it set long enough). I used Gorilla Glue on my second attempt, seemed to work OK. A more thorough fix is to drill a through-hole or two through the leg and the ratchet piece, and then pin them together; another thing you can do is weaken the spring for this ratchet (either by replacing it or by snipping off the length a bit). I don't trust myself enough to try either of those, so just glue it is.

I haven't tried to put those knees through their paces after the fix, and I don't know how long the glue will last. It's possible I'll have to repeat this in the future; it's also possible the knees will become un-salvageable at some point.

There are some videos on YouTube that illustrate this fix, and some posts on the TFW2005 forum that do as well. I can dig some up for you, if you're curious.

Wow, that was fast!

zMHe1Oph.jpg

mAAye2mh.jpg

Went with BBTS, picked up a "substandard" one because I really couldn't give a fuck about the packaging.

Okay, yeah, after a LOT of fighting with the transformation, it's nice seeing plans come together.

FP3gFbsh.jpg

Yessss.... YESSS!!!! You did buy him. That is excellent.

Seriously though, I'm glad you bought him since you'll love his joints and being able to pose him all over the place like an action figure.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I resisted buying the Nemesis version since I had the original Optus Pexus, and then people started posting photos of him with the cape billowing and sword held menacingly and I was like "...oh ::credit card usage intensifies::".

... sorry not sorry.

V9aKAfEh.jpeg

Delduwath wrote: »
    I resisted buying the Nemesis version since I had the original Optus Pexus, and then people started posting photos of him with the cape billowing and sword held menacingly and I was like "...oh ::credit card usage intensifies::".

It is the cape. It always comes down to the cape. Hahaha.

I was good and took my Optus Pexus off of the shelf to fiddle with. That calmed my urge.

Then I went and did an impulse thing by buying the tapes for Acoustic Wave (a 3P Masterpiece sized Soundwave), NewAge's version of Legends Mirage and Optimus Prime (they called it a Youth version which is a cheaper version without trailer, paint, and metal), and FansToys Masterpiece Preceptor.

Yeah, self control went right out the window after being so good... Bad Betsuni.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I really want Acoustic Wave, as Soundwave is by far my favorite transformer. But he's $250, and the cassetatrons are another $140. I bought MP Soundwave with 5 cassettes for $200 in 2013. It's just so much for one figure.