As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] is still practicing drone diplomacy

1636465666769»

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    They have been for a long time. They go under the foreign aid section of the budget (one reason that section is both so high and it’s so hard to cut)

Edit: not sure if the media calling it lethal aid or arms is better for general understanding of/in domestic politics or not

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Nonlethal aid has been a phrase for a very long time

Thread gets into that; the government has used it before but now it’s getting parroted by media outlets instead of, you know, not using the mildly obfuscating euphemism meant to avoid saying “we’re sending weapons and munitions”
    Goumindong wrote: »
    They have been for a long time. They go under the foreign aid section of the budget (one reason that section is both so high and it’s so hard to cut)

Edit: not sure if the media calling it lethal aid or arms is better for general understanding of/in domestic politics or not

I think calling them arms gets to the point of what they are.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    I actually like the lethal Aid versus non-lethal Aid distinction.

It lets you know that we shipped them a bunch of stuff that kills people and then we can also talk about the stuff we shipped that doesn't kill people.

I hope no bullshit less-than-lethal stuff gets shipped in there.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Incredibly unsurprising.

The media for the most part are little more than stenographer for whoever / whatever catches the editors eye.

Media is focused on generating content that will sell ad space, not producing quality content that holds those in power accountable to the public.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Nonlethal aid has been a phrase for a very long time

Thread gets into that; the government has used it before but now it’s getting parroted by media outlets instead of, you know, not using the mildly obfuscating euphemism meant to avoid saying “we’re sending weapons and munitions”
    Goumindong wrote: »

I think calling them arms gets to the point of what they are.

True. But i don't think people are confused by "lethal aid" either. I mean, maybe? And I do think that there is not enough of a connection between our "foreign aid" budget and our "arms shipments".

I am just saying that the language is not necessarily a net negative and its not quite so easy to say which one i, at least, would prefer the media using.

Though i do acknowledge the whole "goddamn media stenographer" thing.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Lanz wrote: »

Joe Dunman is a Legal Studies Professor, host of the Heightened Scrutiny podcast and represented the Kentucky plaintiffs in Obergfell V Hodges
    Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I noticed the US government use the phrase “lethal aid” as a euphemism for “arms” or “weapons.” By the very next day, national media adopted the phrase without even using quotes.

Weapons and ammo are officially “lethal aid” now I guess

Reminder as always: language shapes perception and thinking
    You can almost always count on the US media to uncritically adopt the US government's terminology. The government of most of Yemen for the past seven years? "Houthi rebels." US-armed jihadists in Syria? "Moderate rebels" or, my favorite (from CNN lol) "Mainstream Moderates." The Syrian Army? "Assad forces." A Yemeni exile in Saudi Arabia with no influence in his own country? "The Yemeni government." I remember when Reuters took the minor step of putting "terrorist" in quotes when referring to the US's enemies, it was controversial. I swear, they all get daily emailed instructions on how to talk about things and they follow them to the letter.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I don't know if lethal aid is an old phrase, but I know that it's a terrible one. It makes me think of Jonestown, and not weapons at all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I don't know if lethal aid is an old phrase, but I know that it's a terrible one. It makes me think of Jonestown, and not weapons at all.

It appears to have been first used in 2011 and seems to be an exclusive US phrase

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    All aid is lethal if you can throw it hard enough

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    That strange tangent was also false in at least one instance, as NPR did use quotes within articles, just not in the few column toppers he chose to put in the Twitter rant.