As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am curious if Jack's 4 buddies will turn into the warriors of light or the four fiends

BahamutZERO.gif
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    If it does have time travel, it'd be neat to meet the five Lufenian 'sky warriors' that got turned into the bats you can talk to.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    So Strangers of Paradise is coming out on PS4, but the demo is only on PS5. Is that right?

E: For the Weebs

https://youtu.be/-kCL8BSdHMg

Trailer spoilers:
    Frank Sinatra?! In a Final Fantasy trailer? Who do I give my money to, when and where?!

silence1186 on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    If I had a nickel for every time I saw a crazy action game strongly associated with a song sung by Frank Sinatra, I’d have 2 nickels. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that it happened twice.

Enlong on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I wish they'd lean harder into FF1 nostalgia rather than the silly grimdark tone, but I guess that's not the demographic.
    FJ6CLbgXsAElYvd?format=png&name=small
    rhhr5jt3spn8.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    If I had a nickel for every time I saw a crazy action game strongly associated with a song sung by Frank Sinatra, I’d have 2 nickels. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that it happened twice.

i don't remember the first one?

Wit, is Fallout New Vegas a crazy action game?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Bayonetta and Fly Me to the Moon would be my guess.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Bayonetta and Fly Me to the Moon would be my guess.

I forgot that that was a cover of a frank Sinatra song.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    The demos were mostly good for Strangers, though the second level of the second demo was an ultra lag fest so hopefully they've put in the requisite work in the lead up to release. It was fun action and the variety of classes/jobs was enough to keep me switching around.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fly Me to the Moon was actually a cover when Sinatra sang it too, his is just the most famous version of it. It was first recorded 10 years prior to the Sinatra cover.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yes, I was referring to Bayonetta. I had to be specific with "A song sung by Frank Sinatra", because it wouldn't be accurate to call it "a Frank Sinatra song".

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I think it's a prequel. Like, you play as Garland, and you're friends with the Light Warriors, Princess Sara loves you, and you are fighting the Four Fiends. Also having long talks with Astos the Dark Elf and eventually bro-fisting him?

There's a bunch of talk of memories and whether or not people will remember, so I'm guessing at the end Garland will tragically have to become the villain who kidnaps the princess and summons the Four Fiends from the distant past at the start of FFI (like Blizzard's stupid "there must always be a lich king" thing in World of Warcraft), and everyone else will forget what Garland was really like.

I don't think I've got a good way to phrase this, but the impression I get is that there might be a... "destructive time loop" in play here? As in, there will be a time loop, but as opposed to "person from the future goes back into the past and changes events", it's "time resets to the past point; certain facts are rearranged and the previous timeline is reduced to a subliminal knowledge". So we may see the party hit some terminal point in the first loop, and Jack decides he has to become Garland/Chaos to try to fix things, but there's a chance that nobody will realize that they're living through a revised history. Unless the power of friendship can triumph!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    That makes some sense. The time loop in FFI is really weird and its mechanics don't get fully explored, but the implication is that Chaos has killed the Light Warriors repeatedly, with everyone forgetting the events, for some untold number of loops. In the ending of FFI, Chaos says that he will remember none of his time loop when things progress to the "present day". Possibly either meaning that Chaos will vanish and Garland will be born as before, or that he will become Garland, as Garland became Chaos to start this whole mess. Either way, it's only when the Light Warriors kill Chaos that the whole mess is severed, and everyone completely forgets the adventure that just happened. Except the player, since the ending gets meta about that.

Also, the ending says that even Garland will be alive and well in the world created by severing the time loop. So even if this game has a tragic path to villainy for Jackie boy, the ending of the original game creates room for him to still have a happy ending later.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My bet is they go full-on crazy, and Jack and co. are simultaneously the Warriors of Light sent to destroy Garland/Chaos/4Fiends and become them in the process. Probably in that order too.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the timeloops stuff is why I said it seemed to be an FF1 Remake

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    My bet is they go full-on crazy, and Jack and co. are simultaneously the Warriors of Light sent to destroy Garland/Chaos/4Fiends and become them in the process. Probably in that order too.

And then you play as them again to beat them again and they play with the same playstyle you had the first time...

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That looks fucking terrible but I'll buy it at 19.99

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'd buy it day one at full price but, well, I'll only be like a month in to Elden Ring, so, it'll have to wait a while.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    There isn't anything about the ff1 game that appeals to me. Now chocobo GP, maybe. But square hasn't put out anything I've really liked since ff x-2. And I don't trust them to make anything that can actually compete with Mario kart even though they have the resources to do it.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I couldn't make it through the trailer. I can't tell if this is a loving homage to PS2 era storytelling or actually just bad.

I can't tell if the VA is bad, if the writing is bad, or if that Squareenix needs to finally figure out that a trailer made of random-ass lines with no context is a pretty shitty trailer.

I have no clue what this game is even remotely about, or even if I think it looks good or bad.

If only they’d just tell us about the crystals!!!

Or chaos.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'd buy it day one at full price but, well, I'll only be like a month in to Elden Ring, so, it'll have to wait a while.

As long as the play is good I'll definitely be getting day 1 for the sake of support and having it ready to go.

But yea I'll still be making my way through Elden Ring and then I'll probably play on of the other million games that also comes out around then first just to not play 2 souls style games in a row... but after that! I'm diving in hard for sure.

It just looks like a damn fun time. I already loved the Nioh games. Now I get that with FF job-changing? Hell yes.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The job swapping and combat looks fun in Stranger in Paradise. I am definitely interested in playing the game, despite the utterly cringe dialog and story trailers. The game will be fun, even if the writing is an abuse of the English language.

However, I won't be getting it at launch. It's too close to Elden Ring. There's no way I'm gonna wrap up Elden Ring in the 18 days that separate these two games. Additionally, there are enough other games coming out in the March timeframe that I probably won't even be getting Stranger in Paradise anywhere near launch. This game is likely going to fill the summer slump for me. Sometime around July or August is a much more realistic window for when I will have time to play it.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I couldn't make it through the trailer. I can't tell if this is a loving homage to PS2 era storytelling or actually just bad.

I can't tell if the VA is bad, if the writing is bad, or if that Squareenix needs to finally figure out that a trailer made of random-ass lines with no context is a pretty shitty trailer.

I have no clue what this game is even remotely about, or even if I think it looks good or bad.

D. All of the above

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    One of the main reasons I play jRPGs with Japanese audio is cringe-worthy lines are less so when you only have to read them, but hear them performed by excellent VAs in a language you don't understand at all.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    One of the main reasons I play jRPGs with Japanese audio is cringe-worthy lines are less so when you only have to read them, but hear them performed by excellent VAs in a language you don't understand at all.

Or bad VAs in a language you don't understand at all, since it's hard to tell the difference. :D

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, I'd like to hear a native Japanese speaker's review on what the JP VA is like for the games we complain about.
    Depending on the game they may have had better limitations (things like FFX had to try to match Japanese lip movements, and squeeze their lines into pre-determined clip lengths. One or the other is doable (which is why Auron with a covered mouth had some of the best VAs of the lot), but both can be crippling), but I'd bet that some are seen as just as cheesy in any language.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I am not a huge fan of Japanese voice acting because the majority do this weird upswing on the end of every sentence. It makes every like sound like a question.

Thankfully, Ghost of Tsushima doesn't seem to do this and if sounds great.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I am not a huge fan of Japanese voice acting because the majority do this weird upswing on the end of every sentence. It makes every like sound like a question.

I don't know Japanese, but I seem to recall reading that in conversation it is expected to regularly break up your statements with prompts for the person(s) you are addressing to indicate whether they are following along. If I remember correctly, then the up-tilts you notice might literally be questions.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, much of the reason Japanese VA does nothing for me is that there are cultural and mechanical differences in how feeling is conveyed in Japanese versus English. Somebody can ask "how?" in English with six different intonations and I'll pick up on six different statements. If that "how?" is translated from Japanese, it almost always either flat and empty or wildly exaggerated in volume to communicate that we're now INTENSE and SERIOUS. It's not a failing of either language, it's that the word was translated but not the intent, and the two languages/cultures carry their subtleties of meaning in different ways.

So before voice actors even see the English version of lines for a Japanese game, it should all be translated and then completely re-written/edited in English to capture the intent of the original-language lines. On top of that, input from the voice actors should be essential because they're absolutely going to know when a line sounds awkward, stilted, or flat. VA work just does not cost so much that it can't afford to be a collaborative effort, with the native speakers for the language able to provide useful feedback so things sound natural instead of flat or forced.

I feel like anime has come to at least an improved understanding of this and VA work there seems to me to have improved noticeably over the last decade or so, but the game development side seems to continue to lag.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I don't know Japanese, but I seem to recall reading that in conversation it is expected to regularly break up your statements with prompts for the person(s) you are addressing to indicate whether they are following along. If I remember correctly, then the up-tilts you notice might literally be questions.

I only know enough to be dangerous, so others forgive me if I have this all wrong.

If a sentence ends in "ka," it's a question and will be delivered in that upward intonation. It's like a grammatical question mark, and recontextualizes a sentence from e.g. "let's go" to "should we go?"

If a sentence ends in "ne" (neigh), it's seeking affirmation, recontextualizing a sentence from "it's good" to "it's good, isn't it?". That's the cultural prompt to make sure you're both on the same page.

If you listen to Japanese dubs you will hear these syllables ending sentences all the time. Good localization often finds creative ways to flow with these, otherwise you would see a lot of "isn't it" or "doesn't it."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think some liberties were taken:
    FKYzH8pXIAImoC5?format=jpg&name=small

wVEsyIc.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think some liberties were taken:
    FKYzH8pXIAImoC5?format=jpg&name=small

Sexy, just like that FFV OVA:

4tbzawqnzv0k.png
    Also makes me wonder if Chocolina from Lightning Returns is a dom, sub, or switch...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited January 2022
    I have that FFV sequel anime on VHS. For all I know the magnetic tape has probably degraded by now.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have that FFV sequel anime on VHS. For all I know the magnetic tape has probably degraded by now.

We are the same.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I like subtitles because at least for me there's this sort of implicit understanding that the translation isn't 1 to 1 exactly what is being said, which lets you imbue your own nuance into the translated text you've been given. Final Fantasy 13 was a great example of this for me. Like, playing the game with Japanese VO and English subs was great, but when you turn on the English dub, they're literally just saying the same words as in the subtitles and it feels way worse.

Stabbity_Style.png
    started FF8.

not 10 minutes in and i see this:
    2z3yr8a8ug2w.png

It's wild how i can't say i remembered that particular thing despite having started the game so many times (but never beaten it).

Don't worry, memory loss never comes up again.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Oh come on, who reads the guide on how these things work?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Oh come on, who reads the guide on how these things work?

Yeah, the first time I replayed, i thought it was hilarious

The plot of FF8: RTFM

Boy, random encounters in BNW(https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2095/) are on some BS. Random encounters using lots more death counters, buffs/debuffs, more HP, it's like I'm playing an SMT game now.

I imagine it'll get less frustrating once I have characters who actually know magic.
    (Though there's some neat new relics so far too, like one that doubles MP amounts.)

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.