As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Scramble Slam is dumb.

Worried I will get locked out of clearing it if I get too strong, but I don't want to stop story progress to spend the time dealing with them.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Scramble Slam is dumb.

Worried I will get locked out of clearing it if I get too strong, but I don't want to stop story progress to spend the time dealing with them.

Don't, I came back endgame without issue - you solve the issue by just chaining every fight in the area and then zoning to respawn them for more points.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Nier Route A complete. Began Route B and did one boss.
    I get this game was first but I've already played Automata so I kinda figured that now I'd get to find out how I was killing a bunch of bosses who were trying to protect their friends and whatnot. And that's exactly what happened with Gretel.

I also found a diary that had some interesting lore bits in it along with having me play as Dad Nier. If I'm not mistaken the Giant and the Dragon are one of the Drakengard game endings aren't they? I don't know why the Giant causes the chlorination, or what it does, or how it's connected to the Black Scrawl. It does say though that the Dragon is what brought magic to the world. So maybe they supercharged a disease into a magical one? I forgot to look at the Gestalt documents before finishing the route and it took them away when I started Route B.

Speaking of starting Route B, it began with me un petrifying Kaine and seeing some of her past. Considered a freak by the village, Dimo asked why she was pretending to be a girl, and Kaine herself eventually tells Emil that her body is different. So if I'm reading this right she's either trans or intersex, or both who knows. Not really any explanation for the outfit she's wearing though. The past stuff didn't go into her wanting to express her feminity, in fact it ended with her denying it after Tyrann took up residence in her. She called herself corrupted, blighted, unworthy to even wear the Lunar Tear wreath her grandma made.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I get this game was first but I've already played Automata so I kinda figured that now I'd get to find out how I was killing a bunch of bosses who were trying to protect their friends and whatnot. And that's exactly what happened with Gretel.

I also found a diary that had some interesting lore bits in it along with having me play as Dad Nier. If I'm not mistaken the Giant and the Dragon are one of the Drakengard game endings aren't they? I don't know why the Giant causes the chlorination, or what it does, or how it's connected to the Black Scrawl. It does say though that the Dragon is what brought magic to the world. So maybe they supercharged a disease into a magical one? I forgot to look at the Gestalt documents before finishing the route and it took them away when I started Route B.

Speaking of starting Route B, it began with me un petrifying Kaine and seeing some of her past. Considered a freak by the village, Dimo asked why she was pretending to be a girl, and Kaine herself eventually tells Emil that her body is different. So if I'm reading this right she's either trans or intersex, or both who knows. Not really any explanation for the outfit she's wearing though. The past stuff didn't go into her wanting to express her feminity, in fact it ended with her denying it after Tyrann took up residence in her. She called herself corrupted, blighted, unworthy to even wear the Lunar Tear wreath her grandma made.

If I remember right:
    The Giant (the Queen-Beast which showed up in our universe at the end of Drakengard, and then promptly died) is responsible for the Plague which killed all of humanity. Her alien-form fell upon Earth, slowly broke down into bits, eventually got in the air, the drinking water....

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqLa5qOVsQg

I can't decide whether to assume this wild-ass Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin trailer is stuffed full of spoilers or if this game is so weird and nuts that this isn't going to end up being as spoilery as it seems.

Also this trailer ends like four times then keeps going.

Kamar on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wondering how deep into FF1 it's going to go. Are we just getting the Four Fiends and Garland, or are they going real crazy town and bringing in Warmech, Latoya, the Dark Elf, the full nine?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wasn't that Astos in that new trailer? That's who I assumed it was.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    mrpaku wrote: »

If I remember right:
    The Giant (the Queen-Beast which showed up in our universe at the end of Drakengard, and then promptly died) is responsible for the Plague which killed all of humanity. Her alien-form fell upon Earth, slowly broke down into bits, eventually got in the air, the drinking water....
    specifically the white snow/ash that's falling and covering the city in the prologue of Nier is her corpse's dust spreading over the Earth and contaminating it with magic

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean, everyone guessed the "twist" in Stranger of Paradise so fucking instantly that it actually affected the development of the game as I understand it

Spoiler?
    The main character becomes Garland from FF1

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    FF1 is already a time loop story, you can basically explain away whatever the hell you want as being a like "bad end" loop

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I mean, everyone guessed the "twist" in Stranger of Paradise so fucking instantly that it actually affected the development of the game as I understand it

Spoiler?
    The main character becomes Garland from FF1

it's not really hard when that is his name

I'm all in on this absolutely idiotic bullshit

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Woof, these puzzle labyrinths in 13-2.

The crystal ones are fun enough but there's a million of them, and the clock one is so god-awful stupid that an outside app is pretty much mandatory, and just, woof.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

The crystal ones are fun enough but there's a million of them, and the clock one is so god-awful stupid that an outside app is pretty much mandatory, and just, woof.

I recall having fun with them, way more than stuff like the lightning puzzles in X.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I recall having fun with them, way more than stuff like the lightning puzzles in X.

The matching ones and the disappearing platform ones are enjoyable, but the game doesn't do itself any favors with how it arranges them. One or two puzzles per location/time? That'd be a fun way to mix up the pace. Going to a series of chained locations that's nothing but those puzzles? Less fun!

And yet, still better than chocobo racing, an exercise in pressing X, playing Puzzle Quest or whatever on my phone for two minutes, and then pressing X. Or the quiz guy who appears, invisibly, at one of a dozen locations on the largest map in the game.

(I am overall enjoying my time with the game but there is some CRUFT ASS CRUFT in this thing)

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

The matching ones and the disappearing platform ones are enjoyable, but the game doesn't do itself any favors with how it arranges them. One or two puzzles per location/time? That'd be a fun way to mix up the pace. Going to a series of chained locations that's nothing but those puzzles? Less fun!

And yet, still better than chocobo racing, an exercise in pressing X, playing a different game for two minutes, and then pressing X. Or the quiz guy who appears, invisibly, at one of a dozen locations on the largest map in the game.

(I am overall enjoying my time with the game but there is some CRUFT ASS CRUFT in this thing)

It is a weird-ass game. It's got some banger songs though. Caius is great IMO.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

And yet, still better than chocobo racing, an exercise in pressing X, playing a different game for two minutes, and then pressing X. Or the quiz guy who appears, invisibly, at one of a dozen locations on the largest map in the game.

It is a weird-ass game. It's got some banger songs though. Caius is great IMO.

I quite like Caius, yeah. The narrative is a total mess, but it bops along at a quick enough pace (with one unfortunate exception) and has enough incident that it's fine. And it's a much more successful experimentation in asset recycling than, say, X-2.

Also a big fan of how nothing's really missable, that's a kindness

• Options
    There's one section of 13-2 that's some serious fridge horror. I think you'll realize it when you get there.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    SMT5: pretty good!

I beat up a big angry snake and then a monk gave me his pillar

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Triangle Strategy Frederica character trailer:

https://youtu.be/cGPNENAGwzw

I'm not persecuting any ethnic minority for political gain, much less one my fiancée belongs to, Jesus.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Triangle Strategy seems extremely my bullshit

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Thank goodness Ryza 2 gives you access to the duplication machine early game.

Such a time saver.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Such a time saver.

The QoL decisions are generally favorable for the player in Ryza 2, which is nice.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Such a time saver.

I still find it astonishing that after having some kind of duping mechanic in every game since the fucking PS2 era, Shallie, the sixth game in the PS3 era, decided "Nah. Don't need that. Not important." And with a snap of the fingers, all the other mechanics and elements that were built around having it suddenly became constant exercises in pointless tedium.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Triangle Strategy seems extremely my bullshit

Mine as well, although I think it's a fool's errand for a trailers like that to try to lore dump players ahead of time. You can't expect players to get into your worldbuilding until you've proven the game is actually worth it.

• Options
    I'm surprised they kept the working title. I thought it would've been called something more epic, like, oh, The Scales of the Trinity.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Welp, got the Lunar Tear and achievement done. That wasn't so bad, I'm only just finishing up Route B and all I did was let time pass normally planting and replanting as the harvest came in.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they kept the working title. I thought it would've been called something more epic, like, oh, The Scales of the Trinity.

This is the same team that gave us "Bravely Default" (what) and "Octopath Traveler" (whaaat), so yeah this is extremely on-brand

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

This is the same team that gave us "Bravely Default" (what) and "Octopath Traveler" (whaaat), so yeah this is extremely on-brand

They could have changed Strategy to Tactics and gotten some sweet alliteration going though (or change Triangle to Trinity as well and get "Trinity Tactics")

• Options
    Route B completed. Wasn't that much different from Route A, just a little more context but nothing gamechanging. Route C says it needs all the weapons collected and then I'll be able to make a final choice at the end of the route. Funny thing is I've had all the weapons since Route A and I'm almost done upgrading them all to Level 4. Just need some more Pyrite (easy farm), Memory Alloy (pain in the butt), Black Pearls, and Dented Bats. I'll buy the Iron and Silver ore I need as I go.

I don't actually need to upgrade anything else, between my Phoenix Spear and Fool's Lament I've been able to pretty much oneshot almost everything since the end of Route A. But the weapon stories have been somewhat interesting, especially the Transience spear revealing why Facade is the worst city.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

I liked them, but yeah there are too many. I wrote my own solver program for those clock puzzles.

• Options
    Hit credits on 13-2. That game was fun! Mechanically satisfying, I enjoyed the exploration, clever reusage of assets, I continue to really like the world of Pulse. The story was... There. It did Sazh kinda dirty - really felt like they had no ideas for him, and it shows.

I was considering doing all the post-game stuff, because I rather enjoyed figuring out where fragments were and how to collect them. But completing the bestiary seemed like a real headache, so I opted to skip it all and look up the secret ending. Holy cow I would've been steaming if I'd put in the hours to hunt down every variation of every monster and that was my reward. Hilarious.

Doesn't look like Lightning Returns is on Gamepass, so I think I'll take a little Final Fantasy break. It's been a fun journey!

• Options
    Hit credits on 13-2. That game was fun! Mechanically satisfying, I enjoyed the exploration, clever reusage of assets, I continue to really like the world of Pulse. The story was... There. It did Sazh kinda dirty - really felt like they had no ideas for him, and it shows.

I was considering doing all the post-game stuff, because I rather enjoyed figuring out where fragments were and how to collect them. But completing the bestiary seemed like a real headache, so I opted to skip it all and look up the secret ending. Holy cow I would've been steaming if I'd put in the hours to hunt down every variation of every monster and that was my reward. Hilarious.

Doesn't look like Lightning Returns is on Gamepass, so I think I'll take a little Final Fantasy break. It's been a fun journey!

I still haven't seen the true ending, keep telling myself I'll earn it one day. Honestly, I really, REALLY got soured on LR from jump street, and considering how much I loved XIII and enjoyed XIII-2, that should be pretty telling.

Did you do any of the DLC stuff? Sazh, Jihl, and Ultros+Chupon were a blast. Still, glad you enjoyed it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Route B completed. Wasn't that much different from Route A, just a little more context but nothing gamechanging. Route C says it needs all the weapons collected and then I'll be able to make a final choice at the end of the route. Funny thing is I've had all the weapons since Route A and I'm almost done upgrading them all to Level 4. Just need some more Pyrite (easy farm), Memory Alloy (pain in the butt), Black Pearls, and Dented Bats. I'll buy the Iron and Silver ore I need as I go.

I don't actually need to upgrade anything else, between my Phoenix Spear and Fool's Lament I've been able to pretty much oneshot almost everything since the end of Route A. But the weapon stories have been somewhat interesting, especially the Transience spear revealing why Facade is the worst city.
    jesus you maxed the weapons? i got through like 20 before noping out

it took me 2.5 hours to farm the upgrade mat for spear of the usurper

• Options

I still haven't seen the true ending, keep telling myself I'll earn it one day. Honestly, I really, REALLY got soured on LR from jump street, and considering how much I loved XIII and enjoyed XIII-2, that should be pretty telling.

Did you do any of the DLC stuff? Sazh, Jihl, and Ultros+Chupon were a blast. Still, glad you enjoyed it.

I am unclear on what DLC was or wasn't in the GamePass version, or even what was DLC and what wasn't. Sazh's poker game thing was a fun diversion, if that's what you're talking about, but it being locked to the post-game was a bummer when I found one big part of the post-game so unappealing. I also didn't love his story being "While everyone else is dealing with emotions and fate and history, you've gotta play a bunch of poker"

And dang, I really, really can't stress enough how (hilariously, to me) insulting the true ending is. Like, it's a straight up troll of a thing, it's wild. I admire the clarity of its cruelty (I mean, my favorite game ever is Pathologic 2, I don't mind being bullied by a game), but it really might just be worth looking up.

Also I said I was taking a FinFan break but oops it turns out I've got a tall elf lady Thaumaturge in FFXIV now that it's back on sale, weird, tragic, how did this happen

• Options
    edited January 2022
    They're talking about the arena fights to recruit different characters (as "monsters")

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    pooro, later: what the fuck? this fire elemental is taking full damage from my fire spells! more damage than my ice spells even! this isn't the final fantasy i know! this is all bullshit!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

I am unclear on what DLC was or wasn't in the GamePass version, or even what was DLC and what wasn't. Sazh's poker game thing was a fun diversion, if that's what you're talking about, but it being locked to the post-game was a bummer when I found one big part of the post-game so unappealing. I also didn't love his story being "While everyone else is dealing with emotions and fate and history, you've gotta play a bunch of poker"

And dang, I really, really can't stress enough how (hilariously, to me) insulting the true ending is. Like, it's a straight up troll of a thing, it's wild. I admire the clarity of its cruelty (I mean, my favorite game ever is Pathologic 2, I don't mind being bullied by a game), but it really might just be worth looking up.

Yep, that's Sazh's DLC. He's also a great Syn(I think). Ultros/Chupon and Jihl are just boss fights that unlock them afterward, Sazh's probably has the most story.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

Also I said I was taking a FinFan break but oops it turns out I've got a tall elf lady Thaumaturge in FFXIV now that it's back on sale, weird, tragic, how did this happen

One of the DLCs is called Requiem for a Goddess and serves as a bridge to Lighting Returns and clarifies some stuff about XIII-2's ending.
    Though the actual gameplay consists of just a challenge mode fight that kind of previews the battles system for LR, so you may just want to youtube it I suppose.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    pooro, later: what the fuck? this fire elemental is taking full damage from my fire spells! more damage than my ice spells even! this isn't the final fantasy i know! this is all bullshit!

Oh that was Pooro like an hour after starting up, yeah. And Cactuars are trashmobs in the starting area? Bullshit. Bullshit!

Still figuring things out mechanically, but the writing is surprisingly funny. I'm used to FinFan trying to make a meal out of a weak joke, but here they're tossing off solid ones to great effect. Like a random quest-giver tossing away, "Yeah, we mostly pay [trade partners] in scorched bird meat." That's funny!

Poorochondriac on
This discussion has been closed.