As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop Replacement/Suggestions Thread: Bring out yer dead laptops!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I know they have some models out there, though the quality doesn't seem to be the same. The closest small brand model that seems interesting is the Eluktronics Prometheus XVI. Though there are some rough patches mentioned online.

Right now I'm looking at either an Alienware X17 refurbed or the Lenovo Legion 7. The Legion would be perfect in a 17.3, so it might take some convincing of my SO that the taller screen is pretty close. The Legion 5 comes with a 17.3 but is more plastic and seems like it may be discontinued as it's not mentioned with the other Lenovo 2022 updates.

While I think a 3060 would be fine for her, I'm leaning towards a 3070 for a bit more power since ideally she'll be running in "quiet" or "balanced" mode 99% of the time. From what I saw in multiple reviews, that should still get her 60 FPS in most modern games with high settings and isn't 50db+ of fan whining. 3080 seems like too much overkill and some models like the X17 then need super large power bricks.

I might just wait here if I can a couple months. While she doesn't do any CPU intensive stuff, the new Intel "big small' design might have some improvements on battery life. But then I suppose you're paying a premium since all the models are new and a 3070 might be overkill.

EDIT: Also the Max-Q stuff makes things fun. A 3060 non-maxq can beat a 3070 maxq version.

You'd want to run these on balanced most of the time anyways, otherwise you're going to be bouncing off the thermal and/or power limit often and you'll get overall less performance.

The one thing I can recommend is to get one with a CPU that can be undervolted/underclocked (so not an i5). It's the one thing missing on my new laptop that I miss from my old i7.

The Ultrabook review site does a pretty good job of breaking down FPS based on profile. That's one reason to go with a 3070, since the Quiet/Silent profile would undervolt the CPU and cap the GPU, so you'd get 60FPS only but keep noise to under 40db's for most games.

She's playing House Flipper right now and is looking to play Planet Zoo :) So FPS isn't much of a factor for her. The choice in GPU is mostly for longevity, ie in another 6 years, she can still play those types of games. Right now her 860m is struggling with House Flipper. It's also for me, in case I "borrow" it to play something in the living room haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ugh, Alienware has a laptop with all the options with low HD and memory (the easy to upgrade stuff) but reading the leaked Alder Lake mobile CPU's blowing Tiger Lake out of the water is really making me want to wait. Though is the TI version of the 3070 and Alder Lake worth an extra $600?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Ti Version of a moble GPU, probably not. Alder Lake.... maybe. The Alder Lake desktop parts seem pretty great. Very interested to see how that translates down to the 45W parts.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I was looking at the leaks here: https://next.lab501.ro/notebook/preview-intel-core-i9-12900hk

So far pretty impressive gains. Curious to see how battery life improves. The Ti stuff I could give or take. The idea of throttling down CPU to increase GPU sounds interesting but I'd like to see it tested. Though just the tech being there, does seem like smart future proofing.

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    I know they have some models out there, though the quality doesn't seem to be the same. The closest small brand model that seems interesting is the Eluktronics Prometheus XVI. Though there are some rough patches mentioned online.

Right now I'm looking at either an Alienware X17 refurbed or the Lenovo Legion 7. The Legion would be perfect in a 17.3, so it might take some convincing of my SO that the taller screen is pretty close. The Legion 5 comes with a 17.3 but is more plastic and seems like it may be discontinued as it's not mentioned with the other Lenovo 2022 updates.

While I think a 3060 would be fine for her, I'm leaning towards a 3070 for a bit more power since ideally she'll be running in "quiet" or "balanced" mode 99% of the time. From what I saw in multiple reviews, that should still get her 60 FPS in most modern games with high settings and isn't 50db+ of fan whining. 3080 seems like too much overkill and some models like the X17 then need super large power bricks.

I might just wait here if I can a couple months. While she doesn't do any CPU intensive stuff, the new Intel "big small' design might have some improvements on battery life. But then I suppose you're paying a premium since all the models are new and a 3070 might be overkill.

EDIT: Also the Max-Q stuff makes things fun. A 3060 non-maxq can beat a 3070 maxq version.

You'd want to run these on balanced most of the time anyways, otherwise you're going to be bouncing off the thermal and/or power limit often and you'll get overall less performance.

The one thing I can recommend is to get one with a CPU that can be undervolted/underclocked (so not an i5). It's the one thing missing on my new laptop that I miss from my old i7.

The Ultrabook review site does a pretty good job of breaking down FPS based on profile. That's one reason to go with a 3070, since the Quiet/Silent profile would undervolt the CPU and cap the GPU, so you'd get 60FPS only but keep noise to under 40db's for most games.

She's playing House Flipper right now and is looking to play Planet Zoo :) So FPS isn't much of a factor for her. The choice in GPU is mostly for longevity, ie in another 6 years, she can still play those types of games. Right now her 860m is struggling with House Flipper. It's also for me, in case I "borrow" it to play something in the living room haha.

one little point about the lenovo legion series... the fan control options are really just a suggestion. the real control is hard coded in the bios and not changable on most (all?) models.
    even on "quiet".. if the particulars call for it..the fan will go nuts for a bit. (i've actually found that "performance" mode ends up being quieter overall because it lets the fan just blast for a bit every now and then instead of a constant low whine)

• Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    I'm looking for a laptop for an older family member, they would use it for writing word documents, browsing the web, and it needs a webcam and microphone. I am looking in the range of a 15 inch and I'm trying to keep the price on the low end, but not so much that the laptop is a dud. Absolutely no games or demanding computing tasks would be done on it. Any suggestions for a laptop that would meet this criteria? I am doing research on my end but I figured I would see if anyone had any immediate suggestions.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Maybe check the Thinkpad line

• Options
    would soemthing like a Chromebook work? You'd need to use the web version of word, but that's simple, inexpensive, and no worries about malware.

Though I do get it if that's not an option. I'd run into issues trying to convert my own grandmother to a chromebook, as much as it would make my life easier.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Klein wrote: »
    I'm looking for a laptop for an older family member, they would use it for writing word documents, browsing the web, and it needs a webcam and microphone. I am looking in the range of a 15 inch and I'm trying to keep the price on the low end, but not so much that the laptop is a dud. Absolutely no games or demanding computing tasks would be done on it. Any suggestions for a laptop that would meet this criteria? I am doing research on my end but I figured I would see if anyone had any immediate suggestions.

I've been very pleased with my IdeaPad 5 so far, but the screen is a 14" and the high resolution might not be suitable for older eyes?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Klein wrote: »

This feels like exactly what you get a Chromebook for

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll look into a few Windows computers and Chromebooks. They may need Windows to run a few programs, is there any compatibility for Chrome OS? Would they also be able to print documents with Google Docs? I'm fairly good with computers but I do not know much about Chromebooks.

For this relative, I've been the tech support person for them for 15+ years, ranging from minor issues to having to do a full reinstall because they downloaded malware. How stable and reliable is Chrome OS?

The two laptops I am looking at:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-modern-14-laptop-i3-10110u-uma-4gb-ddr4-128gb-ssd-win10pro-carbon-gray/6468373.p?acampID=0&irclickid=12BTomy79xyITq0wNpXVRx2RUkGyCu2Jw24oWw0&irgwc=1&loc=Ziff+Davis,+LLC.&mpid=10915&ref=198&skuId=6468373

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Ideapad-3i-15-6-FHD-PC-Laptop-Intel-Core-i3-1115G4-4GB-128GB-SSD-Windows-11-in-S-Mode-Abyss-Blue-81X800ELUS/787423182?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_RwEQR9wY6xyIW6y0QtRW7X41UkGyCuRdw24oWw0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_10915&clickid=RwEQR9wY6xyIW6y0QtRW7X41UkGyCuRdw24oWw0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=1167790&campaign_id=9383

Klein on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hey Laptop thread! I got a bit of a wild one I am thinking about here, and I wanted to see if anyone had tried this, or had any recommendations.

I'm bumping up my WFH from 1 day a week to 2 days a week. Since July, I've been doing remote desktop into my work laptop from my personal laptop, but frankly I don't really want to do that much longer, as I want to put up better work/home barriers. Plus the remote performance is kind of abysmal once I start opening certain apps.

My personal laptop is a Surface Book 3. I have the Surface Dock Gen 2 dock, utilizing USB-C to HDMI cables to my twin monitors. I also have a wired keyboard and mouse.
    My work laptop is a Lenovo T14S, Intel flavored. It also has a ThinkPad USB-C Dock (Gen 2) that I use at the office. I can hook these up to my personal monitors via DisplayPort.

Before my permanent WFH ended, I would swap my keyboard and mouse cables between the two docks, which were stacked on top of each other, depending on my needs. However, now that I'm hybrid, I want something better/easier/smoother.

I'm thinking I might have to go with some kind of KVM, or some other solution. My ideal would be to have a dock for both systems, and then plugged into a KVM maybe. But that might be overkill, as then I'd need to be buying a personal dock for my work PC, as well as the KVM that can handle Displayport or HDMI from a USB-C source.

Anyone run into this, or had any ideas/thoughts?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    The first plague year when my kids were learning from home and I tried to work in the same room we'd made the school room I grabbed a Logitech MX Keys and MX Master3 and used Flow to go between work and home laptops.

Now that they've been in school and I moved to the home office where my desktop is I bought this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0871VRSW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the dual monitor KVM, the work laptop's dock is on one set of inputs and my desktop is on the other and I can use my USB keyboard and mouse. But I just had work buy me the extra dock so it was less out of pocket than it'd be for you... if both laptops had thunderbolt ports you'd probably be able to side step the KVM more easily, so I guess the cheaper solution would be use different monitor inputs and wireless peripherals?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Does that KVM introduce any lag? I notice it says 4k@30hz, which is... less than ideal as I game on my personal laptop.

A friend of mine who asked what I was looking for also brought up lag/gaming, so I suspect that is a problem with modern digital KVMs? If so... wheeee.

Yeah, requesting a new dock from my place of employment, then re-doing the cabling, might be the best route forward.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I mean, the more devices between the input devices (mouse/keyboard) and the PC, yeah that'll inherently bring lag.

For your general productivity worker it won't matter, but if you actually care about gaming and every last frame/ms of latency... yeah it might make a difference.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I have 1080p displays at 60 Hz and haven't noticed anything but I assume it would introduce some. My desktop is i5-750 based so I usually blame that when I can tell things are chugging. But I've played Doom and Far Cry on here and it did fine. I would assume you'd notice 30 Hz, unfortunately; you could make sure you order one that says it has 'Free Returns' on Amazon if you want to try it out and have enough extra cables.

Edit to add: it looks like there are some that are spec'd to do 4k@60 x 2:https://www.amazon.com/Port-Dual-Monitor-Switch-HDMI/dp/B08DKX9SQS/ref=asc_df_B08DKX9SQS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475692076734&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5362597461900976131&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014879&hvtargid=pla-992639567959&th=1

Just looks like the higher spec you go the more 'fun' they are to deal with if your configurations are too weird, from the reviews.

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Speaking of laptops... my speakers stopped playing audio but if I plug some headphones in they work just fine. I feel like this happened once before but the good ol' uninstall and reinstall the audio and the audio troubleshooters hasn't solved it. Any other favorite tricks?

Edit to add, I had about given up and decided the speakers were broken but I tried turning off the laptop, holding the power button down for 20 seconds, and then running HP's Support Assitant Audio Check and this time it fixed it! It'd failed to fix it before, no results from resetting BIOS, rolling back to the original driver and all that so it was the holding the power button trick somehow. From my wife's HP they have some things that just won't reset without holding the power button down no matter what else you try. This time I'm writing that down...

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    Shit like that is why a lot of people interact with computers as magic, and frankly sometimes I do too.

• Options
    Hmm still debating about the 12th gen intel. It’s about $600 more in the X17 R2 with everything else relatively the same. While it seems to kill productivity stuff, it doesn’t seem like a massive upgrade for games.

What makes me nervous is the idea that the big/little combo will last longer in the future.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    big/little combo?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Power cores + Efficiency cores

• Options
    ... will last longer in the future?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Never sure. Multi-core stuff almost became required not too long after they came out. Not sure this has the same impact. I think I might go with the 12th gen. I was looking up and weirdly the 3070TI uses less power than the 3070 according to notebookcheck. That was one of my concerns as well, she doesn't need more FPS, but lower power is nice.

• Options
    Well Dell was running a sale this weekend, so ended up with the R1. The 12th gen and Ti wasn’t worth $1000 more.

• Options
    I know this is after the fact, but to expand on the big/little question a bit.

Big/Little has a very good chance to be a very viable future path for x86. I'm interested in seeing if AMD goes that way or if we see Intel and AMD go down different paths for a few years and we get a very good idea.

At the core (sorry for the pun) Big/Little has been in use in ARM for years and years and years and has been proven to be a very efficient design, especially for mobile. if you can offload tasks to cores that are less power hungry, you can get better battery life. I think in laptops specifically big/little has a really good chance to be something that has a measurable impact on battery life on "normal" laptops. 12th gen is the first attempt at this on x86 so I think the implementation is a bit more conservative than it will be in the future. I bet by the 14th gen we see more pronounced splits in counts and efficiency between the P cores and the E cores.

On desktop PC's it doesn't matter quite as much, most of the parts that matter is on thermal management TDP. But on laptops while TDP is also still important I think it really could mean battery life improvements.

• Options
    I believe that AMD have said that they plan to do a big:LITTLE kinda of thing when they get to Zen 5, but at the moment they kind of don't need to because Zen3 cores are already pretty teeny compared to the i12 ones, and also fairly power efficient and good at running on low power states. So as far as they're concerned all the Zen3 cores are p-cores or e-cores as needed anyway.

IIRC the Zen 5 plan is that the Zen 5 cores will be the power cores, and the efficiency cores will be Zen 4. Which to me rather implies that they'll be focusing Zen4 on power efficiency more than raw core performance, then going for more performance with Zen 5.

Speaking as someone who is not at all keen about all this blithe talk of 600 watt GPUs and 1000W PSUs and such lately, I am OK with power efficiency becoming more important.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Recently got a System76 Gazelle laptop, Linux laptop. Been pretty impressed with Steam Proton, games are just working. Be careful though, Valve's script don't handle spaces or parentheses in paths.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Valve have been really ramping up the Proton project this last 15 months or so, especially the last 6. I expect that by the end of this year, there won't be many games that won't run on Linux if they're accessible on Linux at all. The emulation scene on the Steam Deck is just exploding in scope.

V1m on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I am tempted to return my 3060 laptop and get this 3070 one. It is $1,499 at Dell.
    I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of taking out my extra SSD and resetting it to factory settings.
    They guy in the video poo poos the laptop, but it has a RTX 3070 with a good wattage.
    https://youtu.be/YZzgttzTqMc

Is an RTX 3070 much better than a RTX 3060?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I do have this old laptop that I tried to upgrade the motherboard on. Unfortunately, I damaged the replacement board.
    Then, I broke part of the case and had to superglue it back together.
    I put it back together with the original board. It works fine.

I learned that it is not worth the hassle to take apart a laptop. Just do easy upgrades on it.
    I will have to see if I can factory reset it. I upgraded it to Win 10 back in the day.
    Hopefully, the reset program is in the startup. It probably would be best to factory reset it back to exactly the way it was when I got it.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am tempted to return my 3060 laptop and get this 3070 one. It is $1,499 at Dell.
    I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of taking out my extra SSD and resetting it to factory settings.
    They guy in the video poo poos the laptop, but it has a RTX 3070 with a good wattage.
    https://youtu.be/YZzgttzTqMc

Is an RTX 3070 much better than a RTX 3060?

a laptop 3060 benchmark scores around 12500 to the laptop 3070's 15000, so about 20% more frames
    a desktop 3060 scores around 17000 and a desktop 3070 is around 22000

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The thing about that Dell laptop is that it will take a couple weeks to get to me.
    There is this HP Omen 16 that will deliver in 2 days.
    Or I can just keep what I got.

• Options
    What do you have now? Hard to say if just the 3070 is worth it. Is the screen better? other components? What types of games do you play?

• Options
    What do you have now? Hard to say if just the 3070 is worth it. Is the screen better? other components? What types of games do you play?

I went ahead and returned my Predator Helios 300 rtx 3060 laptop and went for the HP Omen with the 3070.
    The Omen has an inch bigger montor and the 8gb vram. The gpu is at 115W, so it is not a massive performance increase.
    Also, I get 500GB more SSD space.

I think the 8gb vram will future proof things a little more. It also sounds like the laptop has a better cooling system.

• Options
    This guy really tested out the Omen 16. It is the exact same model I got from Best Buy. Looking pretty good.
    https://youtu.be/2Xm45b1v6hE

• Options
    It was a colossal pain in the ass to get the SSD out of the old laptop. You have to use one of those plastic pics to wedge it open.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So any suggestions on eeking about a bit more life with laptop keyboards. I've noticed that the "E" and "W" are starting to go on my current laptop. Not sure if vacuuming with fix things or if it's going to involve a slightly more involved fix. Kind want to get more life out of my computer because I'm not in a spot where I have the finances for a new computer and it be annoying to replace the current one that works okay for most things because of the keyboard. Sadly, with my living setup, it would be super awkward to run with a stand alone keyboard to get around the issue if keys do actually start dying on this thing.

This of course brings me to the next question. If I game, but not shooting for the latest and greatest stuff, would a decent laptop work well enough or should I just consider transitioning to a tower PC at this point. Kind of figure that my smart phone can handle most on the go shit that I need to do and if push really comes to shove, like I get a job that requires me to have something more user friendly that is is mobile, I'm sure could get a cheap laptop that can do basic office shit. So at this point, the question is if a decent laptop for gaming is worth it or if I should just go with a tower PC.

For reference my current laptop is a Dell Inspiron (I want to say 15 and it's around 10 years old. Other relevant stuff Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.40 GHz). Already had to replace the hard drive once and losing the setup I had where I could use the roommates PC for games (it wasn't much better really).

• Options
    They really need to make laptops where you can replace the keyboard.
    Also, it is funny how they go nuts with cpu heatsinks in desktops.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can replace the keyboards with some effort. Check YT for your model number and "keyboard" or "keyboard replacement". The new part should be on eBay or Amazon.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    you can absolutely replace keyboards in most laptops, and especially a dell inspiron from that long ago. Newer thin and light laptops are more tricky, and less likely to be able to be easily replaced, but something that old is probably much easier. Depending on the model, some dells you can replace the keyboard from the top lid/deck withotu having to take the whole thing apart. If your model doesn't, it'll be more of a pain as you'll have to take the whole thing apart to get to the keyboard from the bottom, but it should be doable.

just google [laptop model number] keyboard replacement and I guarantee you there is someone that has done it.

wunderbar on