As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2022
    Jars wrote: »
    there's no content that that makes sense for. even in dungeons you will use those skills. and the fact that you have your dps steroid listed under lol??? what??

DPS steroid? Are you referring to presence of mind, which reduces the cast time of glare from 3.88 seconds to 3. 12 seconds and Holy from 4.86 seconds to 3.9 seconds?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    19.6% faster casts is 19.6% more damage, yes.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2022
    Echo wrote: »

Provided that you are able to chain cast those spells for 15 seconds straight, yes.

Look, I am not telling you guys that you are wrong, I am saying that my experience running the content that I run seems to e different than what your experience running the content that you run seems to be. And yeah, I could have used a better label than situational, LD is absolutely crucial (and it shouldn't be).

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    there's no content that that makes sense for. even in dungeons you will use those skills. and the fact that you have your dps steroid listed under lol??? what??

DPS steroid? Are you referring to presence of mind, which reduces the cast time of glare from 3.88 seconds to 3. 12 seconds and Holy from 4.86 seconds to 3.9 seconds?

20% DPS for 15 seconds is pretty significant! That's a 2% increase to your total DPS before external buffs. It's even bigger in dungeons where 15s covers about half of a pull.

Also Glare is a 1.5s cast and Holy is a 2.5s cast. I dunno where 3.88 and 4.86 are coming from.ows

Provided that you are able to chain cast those spells for 15 seconds straight, yes.

Look, I am not telling you guys that you are wrong, I am saying that my experience running the content that I run seems to e different than what your experience running the content that you run seems to be. And yeah, I could have used a better label than situational, LD is absolutely crucial (and it shouldn't be).

I think the problem is that no one knows what content you're running and your statements don't really make sense for any content.

admanb on
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yeah not to be Big Elitist but your skill opinions arent different, they are bizarre and wrong for all levels of content

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Looking at that picture, the skills you apparently enjoy using are Assize, Afflatus Misery, Surecast, Rescue, Sprint, and a chat macro.

Which, um, sure, okay. But also, what?

tbf Rescue is in fact the most fun spell in the healer toolkit.

admanb wrote: »

Was in Tower of Zot today and had a healer that seemed to be struggling with my WAR-to-wall pulls so I slowed down a bit, and got promptly rescued into the next pack. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    20% haste for 15 seconds is a big deal. for comparison leylines is a 15% haste for 30 seconds with the caveat that you need to remain within it to get the benefit. pom is a huge dps boost, it's basically a leylines that follows you.

Without talking about specific fights we'll always have to assume damage happens to a frictionless spherical cow in a vacuum.

Without talking about specific fights we'll always have to assume damage happens to a frictionless spherical cow in a vacuum.

that cow is getting absolutely destroyed in *checks timers* 37 seconds

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if WHMs don't want presence of mind i'll happily take it on every other healer

liEt3nH.png
    it's also a thing you align with other raid buffs to multiplicative effect. it adds a more than 20% damage when you also have embolden, chain stratagem, radiant finale, battle voice, and arcane circle up with a potion at the same time.

edited January 2022
    reVerse wrote: »
    Looking at that picture, the skills you apparently enjoy using are Assize, Afflatus Misery, Surecast, Rescue, Sprint, and a chat macro.

No part of that picture was me saying what skills I prefer casting. My not labeling a button was just my not commenting on said button.

My organization is single target heals on the top row, which is straight 1 through = on my mouse thumb buttons, the second row is matched up to the first row in effect, just AOE instead of single target. This a button mapped to control on my Nostromo plus 1 through = on my mouse. The third row is the same but spells that are not beneficial to target, match to the top row for approx (inverse) effect. Again, button on my Nostromo mapped to Alt plus thumb buttons on my mouse. The buttons on the right side are not mapped to anything, and would require clicking with the mouse cursor if I wanted to use them.

That being said, I am re-evaluating my perspective on the job based on what you all are saying here. Please keep it constructive and not just "you are wrong." That's somewhat less helpful.

Also Glare is a 1.5s cast and Holy is a 2.5s cast. I dunno where 3.88 and 4.86 are coming from.ows

****Snip***

I think the problem is that no one knows what content you're running and your statements don't really make sense for any content.

The time was cast+recast. Should I try to alternate spells to make the recast not a factor?

Mostly dungeons. I have never done savage content when it was relevant.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    the best advice I'd say it fuck the efficiency. unless you're clearing week 1 savage(it sounds like you are not) then just do what you like. I use lilies. I still clear savage. I don't do it as fast as other people, but you know what? I like using lilies to heal. my heart isn't going to break over not having a 99 parse on week 1

edited January 2022
    reVerse wrote: »

No part of that picture was me saying what skills I prefer casting. My not labeling a button was just my not commenting on said button.

My organization is single target heals on the top row, which is straight 1 through = on my mouse thumb buttons, the second row is matched up to the first row in effect, just AOE instead of single target. This a button mapped to control on my Nostromo plus 1 through = on my mouse. The third row is the same but spells that are not beneficial to target, match to the top row for approx (inverse) effect. Again, button on my Nostromo mapped to Alt plus thumb buttons on my mouse. The buttons on the right side are not mapped to anything, and would require clicking with the mouse cursor if I wanted to use them.

That being said, I am re-evaluating my perspective on the job based on what you all are saying here. Please keep it constructive and not just "you are wrong." That's somewhat less helpful.

****Snip***

The time was cast+recast. Should I try to alternate spells to make the recast not a factor?

Mostly dungeons. I have never done savage content when it was relevant.

Oh, uh, that's not quite how recast works. Recast is basically just your GCD, but for spells that have cast timers. A 1.5 second cast with a 2.5 second recast doesn't end up taking 4 seconds -- you spend 1.5 seconds casting it, then have to wait until the recast timer expires to start casting something else. So the actual dead time is the difference between the cast time and recast time.

admanb on
    edited January 2022
    Oh, uh, that's not quite how recast works. Recast is basically just your GCD, but for spells that have cast timers. A 1.5 second cast with a 2.5 second recast doesn't end up taking 4 seconds -- you spend 1.5 seconds casting it, then have to wait until the recast timer expires to start casting something else. So the actual dead time is the difference between the cast time and recast time.

But if I wanted to cast Glare twice it would still be 3.88 seconds between the instants the damage was applied, no? (1.45 cast. 2.43 recast) [assuming perfect button usage]
    the best advice I'd say it fuck the efficiency. unless you're clearing week 1 savage(it sounds like you are not) then just do what you like. I use lilies. I still clear savage. I don't do it as fast as other people, but you know what? I like using lilies to heal. my heart isn't going to break over not having a 99 parse on week 1

Generally I would agree with you, but when the job isn't fun and everyone tells you that you are doing it wrong then it help to at least try to get more information.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited January 2022

But if I wanted to cast Glare twice it would still be 3.88 seconds between the instants the damage was applied, no? (1.45 cast. 2.43 recast) [assuming perfect button usage]

That's... true, but thinking of it in terms of pairs of casts is going to confuse things, since if you cast a third glare after that that it's not going to be 3.88 + 1.45, it's going to be 2.43+2.43+1.45.

I think it's easier to think of it as you get one Glare every 2.43 seconds, but with 1 second of leeway for movement/oGCDs after each cast.

admanb on
    there's nothing wrong with not liking whm either. the job hasn't changed significantly in quite a few years, it lost aero 3 and gained misery is all.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular

Was in Tower of Zot today and had a healer that seemed to be struggling with my WAR-to-wall pulls so I slowed down a bit, and got promptly rescued into the next pack. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Using Rescue to move that tank like that is super rude. It feels really invasive.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Just reframe how you think of it - they're confident in your & their abilities & are reassuring you in the only unspoken way they have

i use Return to kill people and i'll do it again

liEt3nH.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Pray Return to the scene of the crime.

steam_sig.png
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Just reframe how you think of it - they're confident in your & their abilities & are reassuring you in the only unspoken way they have

Eh, they can say something if they want to go faster.

Anyone use GShade? Just reading about it. Any suggested presents?

i'm thinking now of the clip that went viral on ff14 twitter a little bit ago of a near wipe where the DPS was limitbreaking, and a healer Rescues him into a hole to kill him, then uses the healer limit break to get everyone else up, and people were SO mad, and everyone had a Hot Take on it....

and it was just a clip from a group of friends playing together. some of them have been on this forum! they're just fucknig around!

liEt3nH.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    that clip sounds amazing, do you have it handy

i don't sadly, it was on Diamond Weapon I remember that but all my searches for things like "ff14 rescue dps struggle diamond" had no hits

liEt3nH.png
    I REMEMBERED WHO TWEETED IT AND THEY TWEET SLOWLY ENOUGH THAT I COULD FIND IT NEVERMIND

liEt3nH.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    knowing the context of that tweet and then seeing people be super self righteous in the replies and accuse people in the clip of having purchased their legend titles really confirmed to me that most people are extremely stupid

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I haven't tried TOO many personally, but there's not too many presets that are meant for gameplay. you gotta find like, the few ones specified as such because most of them are for screenshots and just tank the framerate.

Personally I use Neneko gameplay shimmer, which mostly ups the saturation and makes the colors really pop.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

Hey, I actually just finally found a preset I like!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/nxm703/how_to_significantly_improve_ffxiv_graphics/?context=3

This is a VERY basic, subtle, but effective set of presets that gently bumps saturation and does some smoothing on the obnoxious aliasing. It isn't a cure-all; floating islands will remain looking like they're from 2001, any time any character from Stormblood and earlier is in a closeup you'll be like "argh, the aliasing!" but it's *better*.

A word of warning: The Extreme presets *do cause input lag*, to the point that I noticed I was getting ganked by AoEs that I most definitively should have been out of in a Trial. So: turn it off if you're doing any hardcore content, or drop down to a less intensive version.

Other suggestions from around the internet that aren't to my personal taste but are pretty effective: Ipsusu Pastel Gameplay, Ipusu Vanilla Gameplay, OMGEorzea (note: pretty intense), Espresso Gameplay, OkamiGameplay

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/

as long as they aren't a sprout its moral to try to murder people for fun in adr

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

"WE'RE NOT DEAD YET KEEP PULLING DAMN YOUR EYES"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif

not everyone types confidently/quickly enough to do it during a run.

I've been surprised by this before, as I'll happily type out stuff even between gcds at times

It's also just quicker. I think this is a your perception problem and reading the wrong intent

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    typing in combat can be hard, that's why jumping is the universal MMO language

BahamutZERO.gif

not everyone types confidently/quickly enough to do it during a run.

I've been surprised by this before, as I'll happily type out stuff even between gcds at times

It's also just quicker. I think this is a your perception problem and reading the wrong intent

I'm a very fast typist normally but completely fall apart when I try to type mid-pull. Something about switching context from controls to typing just fucks with my brain.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

Hey, I actually just finally found a preset I like!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/nxm703/how_to_significantly_improve_ffxiv_graphics/?context=3

This is a VERY basic, subtle, but effective set of presets that gently bumps saturation and does some smoothing on the obnoxious aliasing. It isn't a cure-all; floating islands will remain looking like they're from 2001, any time any character from Stormblood and earlier is in a closeup you'll be like "argh, the aliasing!" but it's *better*.

A word of warning: The Extreme presets *do cause input lag*, to the point that I noticed I was getting ganked by AoEs that I most definitively should have been out of in a Trial. So: turn it off if you're doing any hardcore content, or drop down to a less intensive version.

Other suggestions from around the internet that aren't to my personal taste but are pretty effective: Ipsusu Pastel Gameplay, Ipusu Vanilla Gameplay, OMGEorzea (note: pretty intense), Espresso Gameplay, OkamiGameplay

Upon further examination, I actually like Espresso Gameplay better overall. The other linked preset though is much more subtle, so if you only want the tiniest improvements, there's your jam!

*edit* Quick look at Espresso, with minor spoilers (?) for Alexander raid:
    57bsMQH.jpg

qiLp1dP.jpg

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I REMEMBERED WHO TWEETED IT AND THEY TWEET SLOWLY ENOUGH THAT I COULD FIND IT NEVERMIND

hey that's me

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Ran into my first absolute dumbass of a healer tonight in Darkhold... then again, the RNG kind of boned us party-wise (paladin, astrologian with at-level gear, two black mages).

Scholar was one of those "green DPS" types of healers- they seemed to not want to heal anybody until they got below 50% HP, and instead kept throwing Malefic around at anything and everything. Guess what happens when you throw eight mobs on a tank playing synced levels because you plink one "accidentally" or just move forward enough to aggro them onto you and the tank has to pull them off you? Guess what happens when you hit the endboss and the tank has to pull goddamned double-duty on crystals and keeping the boss from squishing your behind when you still refuse to heal anyone below 50% when it's shown the BLMs can take upwards of 60 - 70% from the special attacks the boss has?

You get a fifty-minute Darkhold run that should have taken twenty. Just... good freaking grief... you're a healer, if you see the party struggling to stay up, stop throwing DPS and throw more fucking heals! I've healed Darkhold, it's not that hard if you throw heals when you need to and not just keep plinking away with damage! Just... cripes, man, you're a healer- heal, for cripes sake!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
This discussion has been closed.