As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    A good time for those looking for houses on the old servers. Checked just now, there is a large (never seen one vacant before) up in the Goblet, and several mediums in Mist. Quite a few smalls in those 2 as well, including a couple of prime smalls on the beach.

Haha, I didn't realise that they now applied the timer on purchases to those who already owned houses - explains why there are still larges up. Went to buy a heavily camped large in Shirogane and got the "not available" message. Makes the decision to move to OCE a bit easier I guess.

Evermourn on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Another bunny with the Omega set & I found each other, so as my last gpose of Tonberry before moving to oceanic;

ygccauhcpyuy.png

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Ran into my first absolute dumbass of a healer tonight in Darkhold... then again, the RNG kind of boned us party-wise (paladin, astrologian with at-level gear, two black mages).

Scholar was one of those "green DPS" types of healers- they seemed to not want to heal anybody until they got below 50% HP, and instead kept throwing Malefic around at anything and everything. Guess what happens when you throw eight mobs on a tank playing synced levels because you plink one "accidentally" or just move forward enough to aggro them onto you and the tank has to pull them off you? Guess what happens when you hit the endboss and the tank has to pull goddamned double-duty on crystals and keeping the boss from squishing your behind when you still refuse to heal anyone below 50% when it's shown the BLMs can take upwards of 60 - 70% from the special attacks the boss has?

You get a fifty-minute Darkhold run that should have taken twenty. Just... good freaking grief... you're a healer, if you see the party struggling to stay up, stop throwing DPS and throw more fucking heals! I've healed Darkhold, it's not that hard if you throw heals when you need to and not just keep plinking away with damage! Just... cripes, man, you're a healer- heal, for cripes sake!

I mean, that's how you heal in this game. if you need to top someone off as soon as they get a booboo there's another, more immediate point of failure going on.

Jars on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    tbf Rescue is in fact the most fun spell in the healer toolkit.

Was in Tower of Zot today and had a healer that seemed to be struggling with my WAR-to-wall pulls so I slowed down a bit, and got promptly rescued into the next pack. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"WE'RE NOT DEAD YET KEEP PULLING DAMN YOUR EYES"

I was frequently down at 20% and rarely above 40% for the pull and I blew all my CDs. I was doing it for you, healer!

Super fun playing on Ravana before transfers, everyone was a sprout and the low level areas were super busy. A great vibe.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I did the thing (EW end)
    ffxiv-01252022-222958-566.png

What a fucking ride. Whew.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Almost two hours of
    The Home World Transfer service is currently unavailable, or the website is undergoing maintenance.
    Please wait and try again.
    I did get through once, but then after inputting the request, it went through the "The game servers are being contacted to confirm the details of your Home World Transfer application." followed shortly afterwards by "A problem has been found with your Home World Transfer application. Please review the possible causes below and resubmit your Home World Transfer application." (it didn't list any possible causes), and right back to the currently unavailable error window.

Update: Oh, some more refreshing worked eventually. Clicked through as fast as possible once I got the window again, and now
    Home World Transfer Complete
    Your transfer application has been successfully submitted.
    Depending on server congestion, the process may take from a few minutes to several hours.
    If your character is not immediately available, please wait before trying to log in again.

SabreMau on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Evermourn wrote: »
    A good time for those looking for houses on the old servers. Checked just now, there is a large (never seen one vacant before) up in the Goblet, and several mediums in Mist. Quite a few smalls in those 2 as well, including a couple of prime smalls on the beach.

Haha, I didn't realise that they now applied the timer on purchases to those who already owned houses - explains why there are still larges up. Went to buy a heavily camped large in Shirogane and got the "not available" message. Makes the decision to move to OCE a bit easier I guess.
    There are over 40 houses up for clicking savage on Behemoth right now from the OCE transfer rush. It's nuts.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think the quantity of OCE coming from NA compared to JP is larger than most OCE JP people would have expected.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there was a big oceanic playerbase on NA for sure

BahamutZERO.gif
    I expected Tonberry alone to be well over half of all players coming, but it doesn't seem that way.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    why is this game so inconsistent about its telegraphs and AoEs

sometimes that color means don't stand in it! sometimes it means ABSOLUTELY DO STAND IN IT! Which is it??? you will have no idea unless some kind person explains it to you.

also, I really hate that super pale light blue AoE indicator, it's very hard to see on some bossfights and often I'm left going "why did I die? What was I even standing in???" and only on reset going "ah yes, the nearly the same color as the floor attack indicator :| "

like so much of this literally seems to be an ~aesthetic~ thing, like there's a bajillion different You've Been Targeted! markers and they all mean different things on different bosses, and which ones get used seem to purely be a function of "it looks nice with this boss." The only things I've seen that are consistent are "don't ever stand in Orange" and "When there's four arrows and a big noise pointing at a player, go hug them."

like say what you will about GW2, that game is very consistent about what marks mean. blue-white or green-white ALWAYS means "STAND HERE." red or orange ALWAYS means "DON'T STAND THERE." there's none of this "sometimes blue means stand there, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it means that a few of you should stand there, but ONLY like, two of you"

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Is there some kind of website or app that keeps track of what FATEs are up on different servers in a DC? I know there's one for sightseeing log entries, but other than that... I'd rather not just keep camping and camping the same area over and over and waiting if I didn't have to...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    100% legit complaint, and the easy answer is just that the game was built over a decade and it's not worth the effort to go back and fix old fights. Everyone hates it, but you typically only have to deal with any given fight once, and by the time you do it again in a roulette you're overtuned enough that it doesn't matter.

They've gotten better about reusing markers in recent content.

Stack, spread, proximity, drop, and push mechanics all have consistent markers once you get to Shadowbringers, I think.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Is there some kind of website or app that keeps track of what FATEs are up on different servers in a DC? I know there's one for sightseeing log entries, but other than that... I'd rather not just keep camping and camping the same area over and over and waiting if I didn't have to...

https://faloop.app works well for my data center.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Ran into my first absolute dumbass of a healer tonight in Darkhold... then again, the RNG kind of boned us party-wise (paladin, astrologian with at-level gear, two black mages).

Scholar was one of those "green DPS" types of healers- they seemed to not want to heal anybody until they got below 50% HP, and instead kept throwing Malefic around at anything and everything. Guess what happens when you throw eight mobs on a tank playing synced levels because you plink one "accidentally" or just move forward enough to aggro them onto you and the tank has to pull them off you? Guess what happens when you hit the endboss and the tank has to pull goddamned double-duty on crystals and keeping the boss from squishing your behind when you still refuse to heal anyone below 50% when it's shown the BLMs can take upwards of 60 - 70% from the special attacks the boss has?

You get a fifty-minute Darkhold run that should have taken twenty. Just... good freaking grief... you're a healer, if you see the party struggling to stay up, stop throwing DPS and throw more fucking heals! I've healed Darkhold, it's not that hard if you throw heals when you need to and not just keep plinking away with damage! Just... cripes, man, you're a healer- heal, for cripes sake!

I mean, that's how you heal in this game. if you need to top someone off as soon as they get a booboo there's another, more immediate point of failure going on.

He said they're struggling to stay up, not a "top someone off as soon as they get a booboo" situation but okay. It's an at level ARR dungeon, come on.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    You have to know what era of dungeon you're in. Boss telegraphs are generally consistent within an expansion. They have grown more sophisticated and more consistent over time, but even in a given expansion there are still a few inconsistencies. The inconsistencies are generally the exception though.

For example, in Holminster Switch, the 1st boss, the big angel thing with sword and shield, that boss uses orange ground markers and a blue ground marker all in the same attack. It's kind of confusing because blue is also used for friendly AoE markers in other contexts. But on the first boss of Holminster, the laser grid from the silver orbs shoot orange line markers and the boss's charge attack uses a blue marker. It's inconsistent. It's annoying. But after you've run the instance a few times you just learn to expect it.

That's just one example of inconsistency. There are others. That's just the first one I thought of. That one's especially bad too because it doesn't even have internal consistency with itself, since the boss uses multiple colors for its own attacks.

Lucascraft on
    Third Zodiac book finished, six to go (four on the sword side, two on the shield side). I'm averaging one book a session (three dungeon runs, then I can do FATEs/leves/hunting at my own pace).

I'm Lv. 58 already and knocking on the door to HW (still have to do the Crystal Tower raids), and I'm just having a blast tanking.

...what level do you have to be before you start being able to solo stuff like ARR Extremes and Ultima Weapon and Coils of Bahamut and Odin? I'm looking forward to horse farming, and if I'm going to be overleveled for stuff anyways, I may as well go for it and enjoy it and try my luck.

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You have to know what era of dungeon you're in. Boss telegraphs are generally consistent within an expansion. They have grown more sophisticated and more consistent over time, but even in a given expansion there are still a few inconsistencies. The inconsistencies are generally the exception though.

For example, in Holminster Switch, the 1st boss, the big angel thing with sword and shield, that boss uses orange ground markers and a blue ground marker all in the same attack. It's kind of confusing because blue is also used for friendly AoE markers in other contexts. But on the first boss of Holminster, the laser grid from the silver orbs shoot orange line markers and the boss's charge attack uses a blue marker. It's inconsistent. It's annoying. But after you've run the instance a few times you just learn to expect it.

That's just one example of inconsistency. There are others. That's just the first one I thought of. That one's especially bad too because it doesn't even have internal consistency with itself, since the boss uses multiple colors for its own attacks.

The one for an example is inconsistent in color use, absolutely.

I could be wrong, but I cannot think of an example of a beneficial ground marker that results from an enemy cast or is emanating from an enemy boss. Blue telegraphs coming from an ally are pretty much always beneficial. It'd be better if "orange is bad, blue is good" was always adhered to, but at least there's no instances of "orange coming from ally is good, blue coming from enemy is good."

steam_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The only friendly blue marker (that looks anything like a boss tell) is LB, and those are really obvious once you've seen them a couple times. Generally speaking, if an AoE marker has very clear borders it's a boss AoE, if it's a super fuzzy graphical mess it's a friendly AoE.

The Switch boss is weird but I think they did that because it overlaps different abilities, so they wanted it to be clear where the overlaps were.

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Soon to be new player here, do I just go ahead and buy the whole bundle for $60 on Steam or just roll with the $20 starter edition that has Heavensword?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Soon to be new player here, do I just go ahead and buy the whole bundle for $60 on Steam or just roll with the $20 starter edition that has Heavensword?

Play the free trial that has Heavensward and allows you to play all the way to level 60.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Get the free trial first if you can. I am not sure if they turned that back on when the game went back on sale. If not then you can def kick off with the starter edition, but you just won't have access to the things like bunny people or voidsent-decedents.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh right, the game is too popular for the free trial to be playable.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    To add on about the free trial--while it has restrictions, it has zero playtime restrictions and you could level everything to 60 if you saw fit to be insanethrifty. If you get any paid version you'll have your free month then be on the paid sub and there's no going back.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As far as pricing goes though, $60 for everything including Endwalker is just the same price as $20 base and $40 Endwalker (as expansions include everything up to them anyways).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have a 3D printer and poor impulse control.

Very (very) vague spoiler for Shadowbringers final zone that has no context until it happens.
    etlc41oc9y1w.png

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One day I want to get a 3d print of my and my wife's characters as a gift.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Aldo wrote: »

https://faloop.app works well for my data center.

Just to add to this - faloop is great, but FATEs are not deterministic the way sightseeing or timed nodes are. For the big boss FATEs, faloop is as good as the users reporting the data, so often times great, but sometimes we can miss stuff. Best bet if you're looking for something specific is to join a discord that collaborates on it. For example, the faloop partnered discord for the Primal DC is https://discord.gg/coeurl

If I do this on JP server it's a vuln every day of the week. Rejoice in ping.

https://gfycat.com/everlastingshadowyarrowworm

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Observation regarding the two post HW raids:
    Both involve magical cats.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Magical BLACK cats.

Does it mean something? I HAVE NO IDEA.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Observation regarding the two post HW raids:
    Both involve magical cats.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Magical BLACK cats.

Does it mean something? I HAVE NO IDEA.

You Jellicle?

steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    so I was curious about something and I logged in on my first character I ever made on the service account on sargantas. I never got really far with that character so shrug but oh man was it a blast from the past. For one, they had flash on their hotbar. And the other was They were contemporary with THIS event. and then I went and looked up when this event happened and I'm crumbling into dust.

Pwc4MeW.png?2

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited January 2022
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I think the quantity of OCE coming from NA compared to JP is larger than most OCE JP people would have expected.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I expected Tonberry alone to be well over half of all players coming, but it doesn't seem that way.
    One of the housing discords has collated some interesting statistics just from the house openings in the first 10 hours of transfer availability.
    for the first 10 hours:
    - 1,303 houses opened up across 36 worlds
    - Tonberry is up to 268, followed by Kujata at 237 and Behemoth at 66
    - Notables:
    Tonberry,268
    Kujata,237
    Behemoth,66
    Pandaemonium,65
    Anima,63
    Typhon,36
    Adamantoise,35
    Lamia,19
    As of right now, there have been 71 house sales on behemoth and there's 18 openings (of course some of these are chain reactions, but still). Extrapolating these numbers up gives a decent picture of the diversity.

zerzhul on
    I had a look around Goblet and Mist tonight to see if a second wave of homeowners had left Tonberry. Interestingly there were a few less houses up than last night, and all Smalls apart from one Medium. And quite a crowd around it, there were enough people to generate the crowd background noise.
    5oxygacizdsb.png

personally i cant believe i ever considered not moving, i hadn't considered how nice it was to know that mostly everyone around would speak my language

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @JaysonFour I have a theory I'm working that clearing other FATEs in a zone helps to pop the one you want. I think there's a limit to the number of FATEs that can be up at a single time in a zone. Clear a few and it gives more chances for the one you want to pop. It can still be a chore.

or I'm wrong and it's just another way to pass time while the right FATE pops. That being said, there are better ways to spend your time than camping FATEs. At the least, do some MIN/BTN if you have them high enough.

It's a slog to get through ARR patch content but things start to open up a bit after that. Cyrcus Tower stuff is fun and doesn't take too long.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I think that's all but confirmed. Or at least that was the prevailing theory back in the day.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2022
    @Evermourn hows the JP party finder look now?

I don't have any characters left on JP with party finder unlocked and I'm curious if the proportion of JP only groups has vastly increased

Dhalphir on
    Got through two books today thanks to the RNG being kind with FATEs, and I’m firmly over the hump as far as Zodiac books go.

I still like them, but boy I wish there were less than nine of the damn things to do. This isn’t something I want to do with every character or for every job right away, but I just want to do it to be able to say I did it and I know how much of an ass-pain it is- like to just finally to say I did a relic and this is why I’m not doing a second ARR one or something.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.