As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I like how not having your location on all the time is considered a security risk in 12.

GD, Google. Between that and hiding the wireless toggle, you've completely stopped pretending.

I don't know about the first statement, but where did they hide the wireless toggle? As far as I can tell, mine is still in the toolbar at the top?

edit: Also not sure what you mean about location. I turned it off and it only told me some things wouldn't work.

shadowane on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    shadowane wrote: »
    I like how not having your location on all the time is considered a security risk in 12.

GD, Google. Between that and hiding the wireless toggle, you've completely stopped pretending.

I don't know about the first statement, but where did they hide the wireless toggle? As far as I can tell, mine is still in the toolbar at the top?

edit: Also not sure what you mean about location. I turned it off and it only told me some things wouldn't work.

I was mostly doing a bit, but when I went into the Security settings, it said my 'Security may be at risk' because my location was not on.

With 12, they've condensed the wi-fi and cell toggles into one, so requires more button presses to turn off wi-fi.

Both seem designed to ensure the most tracking features are on for Google's benefit.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I was mostly doing a bit, but when I went into the Security settings, it said my 'Security may be at risk' because my location was not on.

With 12, they've condensed the wi-fi and cell toggles into one, so requires more button presses to turn off wi-fi.

Both seem designed to ensure the most tracking features are on for Google's benefit.

Just as a point here, that wireless toggle change applies only on Google's skin of Android. other OEM's don't have to combine that, and Samsung chose to keep it the way it was on their android version.

As for the location thing. This is my own personal opinion, not projecting it onto anyone, just my thoughts. Doesn't matter if you have location on or not. your carrier knows where you are at all times, and there's always a coarse location on you even with location off. So the phone might not know exactly where on the street I am, but it definitely knows what block I'm on. So personally, I don't think toggling it on or off at a global level matters a whole bunch. If you feel like that's important, great. I'm not trying to tell people what to do. Just my own opinion.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I personally don't really care if Google knows that the only places I go outside my house are to go to the grocery store and Disney World.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Just as a point here, that wireless toggle change applies only on Google's skin of Android. other OEM's don't have to combine that, and Samsung chose to keep it the way it was on their android version.

As for the location thing. This is my own personal opinion, not projecting it onto anyone, just my thoughts. Doesn't matter if you have location on or not. your carrier knows where you are at all times, and there's always a coarse location on you even with location off. So the phone might not know exactly where on the street I am, but it definitely knows what block I'm on. So personally, I don't think toggling it on or off at a global level matters a whole bunch. If you feel like that's important, great. I'm not trying to tell people what to do. Just my own opinion.

Ah, that's nice for the toggle. Someone mentioned a script or something to fix that. May have to look into it.

For the location, I was really just commenting on how Google considers it a "security risk" to not be tracked by them, when the real risk is they can't push me requests to review the restaurant.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I personally don't really care if Google knows that the only places I go outside my house are to go to the grocery store and Disney World.

One day my data may be valuable but for now, it's largely uninteresting. I've got 10 years worth of photos on Google photos and I'm too lazy to move them elsewhere. I don't even care if they're compressed as long as I have them in some form.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    google might not do anything nefarious with the data but they will sell it to anyone, or to someone who will sell it to anyone

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Is there anyway to stop a BT device from aggressively grabbing audio output when it connects? I'm running into issues where I'll have Spotify playing through my sound bar and then I fire up my Xbox Headphones to play some vidya and they highjack the sound output. This is a mild annoyance if it's just me listening to music but it becomes very much not good when I'm piping rain sounds because the baby is sleeping in the room.

I know the for sure answer is to just not pair the headphones with my phone but I'm hoping a more user friendly answer exists.

Edit: 4A on 12.

Carpy on
  • Options
    You can go into the settings for that specific device and turn off Media Audio

bryjieer5vlc.png

Unsure if this does the trick but worth a shot

• Options
    google might not do anything nefarious with the data but they will sell it to anyone, or to someone who will sell it to anyone

This is actually a misconception. Google does not sell any of your data because it is waaaaaaay too valuable to Google/Google's ad business. It only feels like they sell it but what they actually do with it is use it to improve their own products and for ad targeting.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    my what-im-pretty-sure-is-a-minority-opinion is that if i'm going to be advertised to regardless, i'd rather they be targeted than not.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    You can go into the settings for that specific device and turn off Media Audio

Snip

Unsure if this does the trick but worth a shot

That may work, I'll have to give it a test.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    my what-im-pretty-sure-is-a-minority-opinion is that if i'm going to be advertised to regardless, i'd rather they be targeted than not.

I join you in that minority. I'd rather see ads for gaming mice than tampons.

• Options
    What about gaming tampons

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular

lol

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm not a woman, but I wouldn't want to use a tampon with Razer branding for multiple reasons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Better than mice tampons.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Not sure many women would react well at putting something called "Razor" inside them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Guys you made it weird, it's weird now

• Options
    the worst part is when they start charging more for the Chroma RGB version.

I'll stop now.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the worst part is when they start charging more for the Chroma RGB version.

I'll stop now.

I wouldn't be against that. They gotta work on the naming though. Even if they change the brand, you got deathadder, naga.. all sorts of venomous serpents I wouldn't want to..

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    hey android thread, does anyone know an android browser that starts with a single website and doesn't have an URL bar?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I was messing around on Ebay and someone had a Pixel 6 Pro up for half price. I thought there was something wrong with it but it's just that the phone is locked to ATT (my carrier).

I'm still top bid but I'm not holding my breath. There's still one more day left.

I'm not going over about $515 on it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Got the Android 12/OneUI 4 update on my Note 10+ today.

Thankfully the visible changes are minimal, and primarily I'm just spotting some stuff that's additional rather than instead-of. As someone who isn't fond of change for change's sake, which mobile OSes have a tendency to do (in my opinion - I lived through the dark days of the iOS 6 to 7 update with a 4S, which was an abominable change in every conceivable way), this comes a quite a relief. So far the most jarring thing is how much darker the background gets when I open the app drawer, so if that's as bad as it's going to get, I can deal.

Given other stuff going on in my life right now, this comes as an extra relief. Really didn't need my phone throwing curveballs at me and so far so good.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I was messing around on Ebay and someone had a Pixel 6 Pro up for half price. I thought there was something wrong with it but it's just that the phone is locked to ATT (my carrier).

I'm still top bid but I'm not holding my breath. There's still one more day left.

I'm not going over about $515 on it.

It ended up selling for $610. I went higher than I planned but I didn't let the auction hype suck me in.

Oh well, there are more out there

• Options
    Managed to snag a Pixel 6 Pro for a reasonable price.

Send me your screen protector and case recommendations. I'm partial to Spigen. I love the Liquid Armor case on my Pixel 3.

• Options
    Spigen will always be the go to recommendation 'round these parts.

• Options
    That and Supcase. I've been pretty happy with them too.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Anyone have any tips on transfering older versions of apks to a new phone?

I was able to extract the old version of yelp, without the eye searing all-white UI using adb pull (which had 4 different apks: base.apk, and 3 split_configs: spliit_config.en.apk, arm64_v8a, and xxhdpi)

I tried sideloading the base.apk using adb -s <DEVICE> install base.apk, but that doesn't seem to load anything

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't moved to my new phone because *waves at life*. I did some digging and apparently you can't move Google Auth between phones; you have to disable 2FA on the accounts and re-enable. Is that still right?

Because Authy can move wholesale.

• Options
    You can, but you have to export everything individually. Open Google auth on each phone, and the old phone will give you a qr code to scan on the new one.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You can, but you have to export everything individually. Open Google auth on each phone, and the old phone will give you a qr code to scan on the new one.

yeah its better than it used to be for sure, but still kind of annoying

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Yeah, the reason Authy can move them wholesale is because that's a cloud service where all of the tokens for 2FA are stored in their cloud. That means that you can be signed in on multiple devices and everything syncs, which has advantages but comes at some security tradeoffs in that those tokens are in the cloud and if Authy gets compromised, in theory all of your 2FA accounts also get compromised.

Not saying one is better than the other, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I personally use Authy as much as possible. I chose to live with the potential security tradeoffs for the sake of ease of use and less worry about losing my phone causing me even more massive headaches than it already would.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I use Aegis and make manual backups since the app supports that. I don't have to make that tradeoff between having backups or storing my 2FA secrets on another companies servers.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Does anyone know a good 11-13 inch USB-C Touchscreen I can use to turn my phone into basically a big tablet?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm just setting up my new phone, and this is not the case any more. The Google Authenticator app allows you to export all your 2FA in one shot.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Oh really? Damn, I just did too and had to do everything individually. I must have missed the button.

Well that's annoying.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Maybe that's new then? I remember having to do the one at-at-a-time bullshit with the Pixel 5, but as of this morning, it is done in a batch, can confirm.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Would have to be brand new because I did it Friday. I probably just missed it, so that's annoying. :P