As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I need to stop watching YouTube EU4 videos, they make me think i can play that well and i can't.

Anywho, I've such video i watched the guy says before unpausing at start "and then we go to the economy screen to lower development cost" then moves on to show a lower development cost on a province then what i have in my game for same province. WTF is he talking about?

Second, unrelated question: if you get an bonus from splendor (i.e. all your colonies start at +1 to each development), does that go away at start of next "age" or does it persist to the end of the game? If it goes away, is it better to not buy a perk if age is about to shift?

Related to that, what's the best time to trigger golden age? In the past i usually did it near the end of a given age to get help starting the next one, but i have no idea what's actually optimal.

IME it's best to trigger a golden age once you've more or less capped absolutism (if you're going for it) or as early as possible otherwise.

uH3IcEi.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Portugal game where I'm hoping to colonize as much shoreline as possible before the other euros show up. I have a colony each in Caribbean, Colombia, Brazil, and Cape Verde and all Exploration ideas unlocked so far, and Castille is still on their first exploration idea. I colonize over 100 people a month. My explorer ship is in South China Sea at the moment.

My economy is garbage though.
    About to start a war with Morocco to nab a gold mine.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Second, unrelated question: if you get an bonus from splendor (i.e. all your colonies start at +1 to each development), does that go away at start of next "age" or does it persist to the end of the game? If it goes away, is it better to not buy a perk if age is about to shift?

Related to that, what's the best time to trigger golden age? In the past i usually did it near the end of a given age to get help starting the next one, but i have no idea what's actually optimal.

Splendor bonuses go away at the start of the next age. But you should always buy them, because your splendor will be reset to 0 at the start of the next age, so there's no point saving up.

Splendor bonuses go away at the start of the next age. But you should always buy them, because your splendor will be reset to 0 at the start of the next age, so there's no point saving up.

That's unfortunate, but good to know, thanks all!

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I need to stop watching YouTube EU4 videos, they make me think i can play that well and i can't.

Anywho, I've such video i watched the guy says before unpausing at start "and then we go to the economy screen to lower development cost" then moves on to show a lower development cost on a province then what i have in my game for same province. WTF is he talking about?

I think I know the video you're talking about
    IIRC he got the Burghers Loyalty above 60, which gives you dev cost reduction, but the game doesn't actually apply it until a day has passed. Or you check the economy tab, it seems.

Also if that's the guy I'm thinking of his thumbnails and his attitude have veen getting very clickbaity and insufferable. I miss Reman videos.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The way he clickbaits is fascinating to me but it does get in the way of actually giving good advice

Re: Golden Age, an early GA is great when you're starting outside Europe as a small nation and you wanna get big while keeping up in tech

If your goal is to get as much territory as possible before the game ends, it's best to trigger it after 1700

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Portugal game where I'm hoping to colonize as much shoreline as possible before the other euros show up. I have a colony each in Caribbean, Colombia, Brazil, and Cape Verde and all Exploration ideas unlocked so far, and Castille is still on their first exploration idea. I colonize over 100 people a month. My explorer ship is in South China Sea at the moment.

When you say you have a colony each, do you mean a Colonial Nation or a single province? It's much better to grab five provinces in a single region to generate a Colonial Nation and then move into another region - the CN will pretty quickly start to colonize other nearby empty provinces themselves. (Go for the Carribean first so you can steal trade.)

The exception to this is in Mexico and Brazil, where you can colonize next to a native nation and then trivially gobble up four provinces off them in one war, which will immediately form the CN.

uH3IcEi.png
    edited November 2021
    Monwyn wrote: »

When you say you have a colony each, do you mean a Colonial Nation or a single province? It's much better to grab five provinces in a single region to generate a Colonial Nation and then move into another region - the CN will pretty quickly start to colonize other nearby empty provinces themselves. (Go for the Carribean first so you can steal trade.)

The exception to this is in Mexico and Brazil, where you can colonize next to a native nation and then trivially gobble up four provinces off them in one war, which will immediately form the CN.

One province each. Was going to do the trade node in Caribbean next. The mission tree encouraged me to get one in Brazil, and my burghers wanted me to get one in Colombia. Doing the Colombia one was massive increase in settlers per month.

Edit: got all of Haiti colonized (well, 2 in progress). Going they can start a colonial nation soon so i can start elsewhere.

My economy has improved significantly, and i only have one non-burgher loan, and that only because i wanted to embrace Renaissance finally since i had colonialism pop in Porto. Conquering much of Morocco regrettably slowed me down, but at least I'm getting now 10g+/month from the gold mine there. Finally got a decent light ship fleet, and have some economy buildings. Got just over 20g coming in a month in 1499.

The bad news is that Castile it's my only option for rival (started out with the Maghreb countries but they all got smooshed by me or Castille). They and England (which has conquered or vasalized GB isles and still has a foothold in Basque France) are my allies. England has yet to call me into any way, and Castille asked for help one with Granada, and once with Tunis. They bought sold me favors for like 20g, i think they are broke.

Also, the Ottomans have now allied Morocco, so that's probably the end of that expansion for now. Maybe i should start taking province from Brazilians like someone upthread suggested.

As far as i can tell, Castille is the only other colonizer, with one province just south of Mali.

What's the condition for treasure fleets to start showing up?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    Monwyn wrote: »

One province each. Was going to do the trade node in Caribbean next. The mission tree encouraged me to get one in Brazil, and my burghers wanted me to get one in Colombia. Doing the Colombia one was massive increase in settlers per month.

Edit: got all of Haiti colonized (well, 2 in progress). Going they can start a colonial nation soon so i can start elsewhere.

My economy has improved significantly, and i only have one non-burgher loan, and that only because i wanted to embrace Renaissance finally since i had colonialism pop in Porto. Conquering much of Morocco regrettably slowed me down, but at least I'm getting now 10g+/month from the gold mine there. Finally got a decent light ship fleet, and have some economy buildings. Got just over 20g coming in a month in 1499.

The bad news is that Castile it's my only option for rival (started out with the Maghreb countries but they all got smooshed by me or Castille). They and England (which has conquered or vasalized GB isles and still has a foothold in Basque France) are my allies. England has yet to call me into any way, and Castille asked for help one with Granada, and once with Tunis. They bought sold me favors for like 20g, i think they are broke.

Also, the Ottomans have now allied Morocco, so that's probably the end of that expansion for now. Maybe i should start taking province from Brazilians like someone upthread suggested.

As far as i can tell, Castille is the only other colonizer, with one province just south of Mali.

What's the condition for treasure fleets to start showing up?

1. You have a colonial nation in a trade node that flows into yours.
    2. They produce gold.

A tip if you have Leviathan, the self-governing colony isn't worth it and you would want to switch out of it anyway when the colonial nation gets bigger

I do have Levoathan but this is my first time colonizing since i bought it so i don't know what that means.

steam_sig.png
    I'm a bit torn on the warscore, overextension, AE changes

It's still awful to break up large nations but small nations go down even easier from it

And the window where one lost war can mean the end of your campaign is even bigger now

Why are my colonies in South Africa and Papua New Guinea not turning into colonial countries?

steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Why are my colonies in South Africa and Papua New Guinea not turning into colonial countries?

For reasons which have never really made sense to me, Africa and Asia are exempt from the colonial nations rules. They have some other weird things too but I don't colonize down that way often enough to recall them all. Short version: you'll only get colonial countries in the Americas and Australia.

Land in Africa and Asia/Oceania gets the opportunity to be made into trade companies rather than CNs. Trade companies are fantastic and you should pretty much always slap those holdings into one; a TV with (iirc) 5 provinces grants an extra merchant.

uH3IcEi.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I believe it's colonial nations with more than 5 provinces, or a trade company with more than 50% trade power in its node that'll give a merchant

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    SLyM wrote: »
    I believe it's colonial nations with more than 5 provinces, or a trade company with more than 50% trade power in its node that'll give a merchant

Right, that's it. But South Africa starts off unpopulated for some reason so that one is free.

uH3IcEi.png
    It's also worth noting that unlike Colonial Nations you have to manually add provinces to a TC

It's been long enough since I played that I couldn't tell you where the button is though

uH3IcEi.png
    Dealing with an AI with a lot of colonies in the late game is just terrible

fcv8zizhdcu9.jpg

It's not the colonies which are strong or developed, CNs are still prone to debt spirals and terrible economy and waste monarch points instead of deving

Instead it's just all about the bonuses they give out, as little sense as that makes

Late game is already a bit terrible because of the Revolution mechanic

Platy wrote: »
    Dealing with an AI with a lot of colonies in the late game is just terrible

fcv8zizhdcu9.jpg

It's not the colonies which are strong or developed, CNs are still prone to debt spirals and terrible economy and waste monarch points instead of deving

Instead it's just all about the bonuses they give out, as little sense as that makes

Late game is already a bit terrible because of the Revolution mechanic

That's why you steal the CNs in the first war

uH3IcEi.png
    I could WC but I just don't waaant to

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Victoria 2's most popular alternative history mod, Divergences of Darkness, has started semi-regularly updating recently, with the most recent update adding some more flavor for the caucuses.
    I started as DoD's analogue to Azerbaijan, the Shaki Khanate, which starts 50% westernized and directly or indirectly controlling most of the Caucuses. It has the potential to form either Persia or a unique pan Caucuses union, so I went for second more unique and interesting option.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    I've got cores on all of the caucuses, a little bit of northwest Iran (down to about lake Urmia and the Tabriz) region, and most of the part of Anatolia I control. All of that northern part are full states, while most of Iran and all of mesopotamia are only colonies. I also have a few overseas colonies in west africa to secure a rubber supply, a tiny bit of India, and I recently built the suez canal since nobody else was gonna do it.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false Look at all those accepted cultures! Shame only like, five of them have significant populations. In order from most populous to least populous.
    1. Aghdye (aka Circassian) about 1.2 million pops mainly just in the Circassian region in the NW part of my country.
    2. Turkoman (aka Azeri) about 1.1 million pops all over (since they're my primary pop if any pop culture converts they get priority) but making up a majority of the population in Tabriz and the SW caucuses.
    3. Georgian and Armenian, together adding up to about 1.2 million pops. Georgians are the more populous and are basically just centered around, well Georgia, with small populations in a few regions around Georgia. Armenians are the majority in Armenia, but can be found as small minorities pretty much everywhere in the northern half my country all the way to NW Iran. (Think like 2-5% of the population in those regions.)
    4. Chechen, with around six hundred thousand pops pretty much all in Chechyna, in the NW caucuses.

Also yes, Russia does have cores on the northern caucuses, and yes, WW1 is probably going to start as a result of that.

Gundi on
    edited December 2021
    I wanted to share something I thought was interesting:

I was allied with the Ottomans, but I knew it wouldn't last because they'd want my land. I vassalised a very beaten-up Aq Qoyunlu, then was able to use favours to ask Ottomans to return their land. I took enough land to cut them in half, including 2 forts. When the war inevitably happens, it will be that little bit easier.

AnteCantelope on
    Syria may be the single best reconquest vassal in the game, besides a startimg great power brought low.

Khorosan's often a decent one too depending on what happens to Timmie

Is there some easy way to full annex a coloniser? I want to annex Spain and inherit his colonies, but when I go to the peace deal there's hundreds of provinces and I can't seem to find the ones that Spain owns, so I can't get a full annex. I'm guessing they've got a colony going in the middle of America somewhere. A 'full annex' peace option would be nice.

Unless you've uncovered the entire planet it's indeed a pain. I find cross-referencing the war score to vassalize them with the war score for which provinces you're taking helps identify what you're missing. And to maybe wait for the age of Revolution which lets you ignore coring distance.

In that situation I tend to vassalize the remnant

If AE ist too high, I declare war on my vassal and annex them

Finished my first One Faith! Did it in 1766, and with none of those pesky wastelands ruining the religion map. 9 missionaries, 20.5% missionary strength.

Mughals + humanist + religious = no revolts, ever, anywhere.
    0b620qm28llh.png
    ij2s89dp936h.png

Some other things that happened along the way:
    I have 81 merchants, but there are only 80 trade nodes on the map. Didn't even need to take trade ideas for that.
    Most of the world is a trade company, but I don't have many trade company improvements because the game would lock up any time I tried to build them.
    They added an option to block your colonies using colonists in their cities, which is great for one faith runs... but they didn't block them from building great projects, which can take about 30 years, and you can't speed up or cancel your subject's great projects when they start it, only when you start it.
    I have max money, but my colonies keep sending me gold shipments. I like to imagine my people welcoming them in the docks and then dumping the gold in the ocean. Thanks, now go dig up some more!

Very well done

Being blocked by great projects sounds potentially awful

vhnmlk3w0179.jpg

I played some Vicky 2 as the Sikh Empire and tried to dismantle the UK but couldn't gain enough warscore due to a bug

But the UK took enough damage that most of the little nations in India popped out - unfortunately there wasn't enough time to conquer them or sphere the rest

The UK also kept some of the provinces, I wonder what would've happened upon dismantling them

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Is there some easy way to full annex a coloniser? I want to annex Spain and inherit his colonies, but when I go to the peace deal there's hundreds of provinces and I can't seem to find the ones that Spain owns, so I can't get a full annex. I'm guessing they've got a colony going in the middle of America somewhere. A 'full annex' peace option would be nice.
    There's a trick to finding them a bit easier in the peace deal screen, which I couldn't entirely remember offhand but was able to find a description of it that sounds correct here.
    One way to do it efficiently if there's a larger number of provinces is to click the vassalise button, and then sort by warscore, at zero should be all the overlord's provinces. It's still a pain to do.

Drama in the Youtuber space, with a guy whose videos have grown annoyingly clickbaity and obnoxious to me being accused of not playing on ironman!

Drama in the Youtuber space, with a guy whose videos have grown annoyingly clickbaity and obnoxious to me being accused of not playing on ironman!

Which one?

steam_sig.png
    Ludi from Ludi et Historia

I always knew he was fudging things and that the guides were kinda bad

wiiwjwy4iywj.jpg

Jeez!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    AI Portugal has 1700 development? What on earth.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Some of it is CN development but they also cannibalized Castile and they're an Empire

The fort picture from the latest dev diary looks like a nightmare

Platy wrote: »
    The fort picture from the latest dev diary looks like a nightmare

I understand they need to add more forts, because it's kind of silly that nobody ever builds or upgrades forts and you can just steamroll the entire map, but Russia having a dozen level 8 forts is painful. It's going to make Offensive compulsory too.

I nearly always take offensive anyway because it speeds up carpet sieging as well

A big problem is that the game is made out interlocking systems, you can't just add that many forts and keep manpower gains the same

The AI is also still soooo bad about abandoning sieges and losing wars because of it

I can see that border between Russia and the Commonwealth lead to WW1-style wars of attrition with fixed frontlines, not anything actually resembling Early Modern warfare