As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    In other news I just got Interstellar Ops in and this book is jam packed full of hilarious shit. You wanna make cyborg infantry squads? Roll out Veritechs LAM lances? Need AI rules for autonomous combat drones? Wanna drop a nuke on something? Yup, you can do it.

Oh, so it's the Word of Blake Manei Domini textbook. Cool.

Yeah, basically lol. They call them out specifically in the cyborg section along with the Belters and Thuggee Phanisgars.

Interestingly they outright say the only limitation on how far someone can be modded is time and c-bills due to it being wildly expensive and a pain in the ass to do so theoretically you could do some Johnny Mnemonic Street Preacher shit to one person and have actual rules to work with to scare the ever loving fuck out of your players.

Honestly this book feels like a great GM sourcebook for doing some super goofy shit in Mechwarrior Destiny or an extended Death From Above sorta campaign more than anything.

If you got the cash to burn it's a pretty fun read.

I've read stories from BT GM's that have used modded-out Manei Domini operatives in Celestial-class 'Mechs as the Big Bad of campaigns before.

They're terrifying, from what I can gather. But that's what you get for something on the order of 6000 BV for a single 'Mech+pilot!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Battletech night was… something.

Like, the most cursed and blessed rolls back to fuckin back.

My Turkina Prime knocks out the opposing Not Base Variant Charger with a lovely LBX blast, netting three crits including two gyro hits then never hits anything again. Literally never. It has six weapons! With 3 gunnery! No hits forever.

My flagship Timber Wolf Prime with the good pilot (2/4) head caps the opposing Catapult with a single large laser crit to the cockpit. Sick! Then takes an LRM plink to the head, takes an injury, then fails the consciousness roll with a target of 3. Falls unconscious, then fails to wake up. Enemy Cataphract walks up, plugs the MG ammo bin, and kills the Timber Wolf next round of shooting by hitting the CT with pretty much every weapon.

Messy, messy night.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    In other news I just got Interstellar Ops in and this book is jam packed full of hilarious shit. You wanna make cyborg infantry squads? Roll out Veritechs LAM lances? Need AI rules for autonomous combat drones? Wanna drop a nuke on something? Yup, you can do it.

Oh, so it's the Word of Blake Manei Domini textbook. Cool.

Yeah, basically lol. They call them out specifically in the cyborg section along with the Belters and Thuggee Phanisgars.

Interestingly they outright say the only limitation on how far someone can be modded is time and c-bills due to it being wildly expensive and a pain in the ass to do so theoretically you could do some Johnny Mnemonic Street Preacher shit to one person and have actual rules to work with to scare the ever loving fuck out of your players.

Honestly this book feels like a great GM sourcebook for doing some super goofy shit in Mechwarrior Destiny or an extended Death From Above sorta campaign more than anything.

If you got the cash to burn it's a pretty fun read.

I've read stories from BT GM's that have used modded-out Manei Domini operatives in Celestial-class 'Mechs as the Big Bad of campaigns before.

They're terrifying, from what I can gather. But that's what you get for something on the order of 6000 BV for a single 'Mech+pilot!

One of the cyber mods is cyber legs with a MASC system

You can make some frightening shit with these rules 👀

wWuzwvJ.png
    What if you could just be the BattleMech

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm sure at some point WoB or pre-reformation Comstar probably tried to make a 'brain in a jar' cyborg where the body was an entire battlemech.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Elementals and Protomechs would definitely be the earlier stages

e: but honestly Elementals kinda already are brains in jars. Like, do you ever actually try to keep them alive in battle? Hell nah that's one extra point of damage they can take!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    What if you could just be the BattleMech

That embarressing moment when you get out from your latest body mod and realises that you're a protomech.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Honestly? I'd take a first gen or late gen Protomech over this increasingly-useless meat body that nature gifted me.

But not a second gen Protomech. Even my wide and generally accepting tastes can't cotton those looks. Euuugh.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Couple of rules questions I could use clarification on;

1) Fuckin called shots how do they work?

2) Line of sight:
    a) Can I shoot through friendly units? I understand that infantry and most vehicles are short enough that I can shoot a mech behind them no problem, but what about shooting through a friendly mech into an enemy mech?
    b) Can I shoot through enemy units in the same manner?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Couple of rules questions I could use clarification on;

1) Fuckin called shots how do they work?

2) Line of sight:
    a) Can I shoot through friendly units? I understand that infantry and most vehicles are short enough that I can shoot a mech behind them no problem, but what about shooting through a friendly mech into an enemy mech?
    b) Can I shoot through enemy units in the same manner?

Without a targeting computer, aimed shots can only be made against immobile, shut down, or unconscious units. It's the standard -4 modifier to hit, but if you do hit, you roll again and if it is not a 6,7,8 you miss the targeted location and must roll again on the standard hit location table. You cannot target the head at -4, it's a +3 instead, and certain weapons cannot be used for aimed shots.

With a targeting computer, an aimed shot adds a +3 to hit against an active unit. Or -5 total (-4 plus -1 for the TC) against immobile/shut down/unconscious targets.

You can't use aimed shots with physical attacks.

Unless it's a dropship, intervening units have no impact on line of sight. So yes you can shoot through/past anything, enemy or friendly.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    That all makes sense, thank you!

Since I've been very chatty in this thread, I shall offer tribute; my first truly painted mini in which I attempted many techniques for the first time; A 3D printed Jenner-F inspired by Brigador's Spacer faction.
    8woNXTf.jpg

So it's a shit job but to expect more out of myself for a first time would be nutso. I botched the base coat by not thinning, which led to so many little details on the mini fading out. Unfortunate, but I know better for next time. I attempted a non-centered cockpit jeweling which didn't quite work, but I managed to get a tiny bit of depth and I don't hate it. The laser apertures are a travesty but they were practically invisible thanks to the thick af base coat. My shaky, untrained hands made highlighting real bad but I managed to pick out a couple of good pieces on the legs. I could have done a bit on the gray but at this point I felt it would be polishing a turd so I called it. The sealant claimed it was matte but it left some surfaces shiny so whatever. Too late now! At least it brought the highlighting mess down a notch in the process.

Overall, I learned a ton and I can't wait to do more. I'm not unhappy with my work at all; I managed some custom detail and for my first mini, without any other art experience, I'm satisfied.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Honestly? I'd take a first gen or late gen Protomech over this increasingly-useless meat body that nature gifted me.

But not a second gen Protomech. Even my wide and generally accepting tastes can't cotton those looks. Euuugh.

I gotta be honest, all the Doug Chaffee protomechs (first and second gen) look kind of bad to me. Like, the art itself is good, but the designs are ugly and often silly. Especially since IIRC both batches are supposed to have been designed before/during the Jihad & Wars of Reaving, so the protos' campy aesthetic flourishes feel out of character for the Clans of that era.

As for the later designs? Generally I like Matt Plog and Alex Iglesias' work, but the Hippogriff (by Plog) feels like a poor man's Zoid (just needs a dozen more randomly placed weapons), for that matter so does Iglesias' quad Basilisk but at least that one looks cool. The Hobgoblin and Sprite, also both by Iglesias, are kinda cool but look way too top-heavy. The only one I really like is Alex's Boggart. I really dislike David White's Svartalfa, not a fan of the design, and I don't like the art style.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2022
    It's funny you point out the Hippogriff, because I just assembled a pair of them (to go with three Rocs in a Snow Raven point), and honestly aside from their wings being fragile AF I'm kind of in love with the look.

T09gSZcl.jpg

Regarding the rest of the line: It's a personal taste thing, for sure, but I actually quite like the totem-ization of the Protomech line. It gives them a distinctive look that's not just "Mech but smaller". And given the Clans sometimes-penchant for excruciating fervor over an ideal here an there, it makes some sense to me. But even for me there's limits; I feel like the second-gen Protos drift too far into the realm of the fantasy monster aesthetic and lose the critical balance of Robot look vs. Monster look. They're too much Monster, not enough Robot. The latter-gen Protos get back to that balance, and most of them push over more into Robot territory which honestly I'm fine with.

It's a taste thing, for sure. As an aside, though, I've seen more modern renditions of some of the Protos (hell, we may have talked about them upthread), and god damn I'd love to have some of those on my table.

Anyway!

The Project Build All The Things train is still rolling along, because of course I can't control myself or my wallet and stuff just keeps showing up in my mailbox. Such as this beauty, restored and slightly reposed to make it not look like it's popping a squat:

3bkJh9Kl.jpg

An Unseen Scorpion! I stared at pictures of it for too long, and kinda fell in love with the chunky torso, so *cries in wallet*. I'm no huge fan of the legs, as any sane person should be, but the repose gives it just a little bit of motion to make it look more dynamic. Also: Murder Antenna! Some good ol' original Ral Partha fuck-you-up-if-you-grab-it-wrong steel pin. I sanded it down to remove the worst of its bite, but you can't fully defang those things!

And in more important works, I made another thing out of trash! This time the salvage bins coughed up some suitable parts for a Stormcrow. Since I was lacking arms, though, I took the opportunity to model and print a pair to turn it into the Alt. H model with Heavy Lasers. I'll leave it to the observer to determine how well I succeeded, but I'm super happy with how they came out. The surface detailing could probably be more stark; if I release the models for public use, I'll probably go back and take another pass at them. Otherwise, job's a good'un.

76pVsCel.jpg

And next to its Star Pack brother for comparison:

85y75pIl.jpg

Nips on
    What's everyone's one clan weapon they wish they could poach for their IS designs? I just love the ERML for basically being an objectively better large laser. Especially because you can pair it perfectly with MRMs, which I also love.

God imagine a Centi -AL(c) with all the lasers replaced with 5xERMLs.

Just nasty.

It's either the CERMLAS or the CMPLAS. No contest. That much power increase (in damage and range) on such a small weapon is hashtag value.

Just on raw efficiency, it's hard to argue against the cERML.

For my personal warm fuzzies pick, I think it's a toss up between the cERPPC/cGauss/cLPL. The first two get you such a cheaper (weight and size-wise) headcapping weapon, and the cLPL gets you IS PPC damage with better range and less mass, AND the pulse bonus.

LRMs might be my dark horse next pick. Much lighter, smaller, and more importantly no minimum range. Just absurd.

edited January 2022
    At the end of the day I feel like you'd have to take the CERML for sheer practicality. But LRM's not having minimum range takes a lot of the value out of alternatives like MRMs, MML's, or even ATMs. It turns big launchers into terrifying shotguns.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Dunno if anyone here is interested, but for some reason Amazon has the old school Solaris VII map pack in stock.

edited January 2022
    Pound for pound I think Clan LRMs are easily the biggest direct improvement to the most IS mechs you could take that would be a flat upgrade and power increase with zero drawbacks. Hell, you'd even save some tonnage and space due to them being smaller and lighter to cram a heat sink or two extra in.

EDIT: In book hoarding news, I just got Tactical and Strategic Operations in. Just for giggles I found copies of Classic Total Warfare and the Techmanual for collection purposes and so I can complete the picture on the spines when you put the set of books together. However, I'm having a hell of a time finding Campaign Operations. It's like barely any of these were printed or something. I'm bidding on a softcover copy rn but I want the damn hardcover :(
    Dunno if anyone here is interested, but for some reason Amazon has the old school Solaris VII map pack in stock.
    For only 30 bucks?
    *yoink*

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited January 2022
    I like cMPLs, but most especially because they pair well with cS-SRMs, so I look at them less as a good weapon to poach. Then again 4*cMPLs on a 6/9/6 and you can jump every other turn and stay basically heat neutral.

e: okay yeah gimme a stupid clan quad with a MPL and a jump jet in each leg, and the last two jets in the CT. fuckin lawl

ee: although yeah even just yoinking the cLRM-10 would be huge. IS LRM-5s could almost always justify the upgrade, and anything IS LRM-10+ could swap out and at least save space, if not add more tubes.

Tox on
    edited January 2022
    Had ideas for an SLDF Royal Hunchback variant with longer range.
    Hunchback HBK-4Gb
    Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
    Level Era
    Experimental -
    Advanced 2760-3044
    Standard 3045+
    Extinct 2840-3040
    Tech Rating: E/E-F(F*)-E-D

Weight: 50 tons
    BV: 1,223
    Cost: 4,052,500 C-bills
    Source: homebrew

Movement: 4/6
    Engine: 200
    Double Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
    Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 83 (Endo-Steel)
    Armor: 168/169
    Internal Armor
    Head 3 9
    Center Torso 16 24
    Center Torso (rear) 7
    Right Torso 12 19
    Right Torso (rear) 5
    Left Torso 12 19
    Left Torso (rear) 5
    Right Arm 8 16
    Left Arm 8 16
    Right Leg 12 24
    Left Leg 12 24

Weapons Loc Heat
    Large Laser RA 8
    Large Laser LA 8
    LB 10-X AC RT 2

Ammo Loc Shots
    LB 10-X AC Ammo RT 10
    LB 10-X Cluster Ammo RT 10

Equipment Loc
    CASE RT
    Hunchback HBK-4R
    Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
    Level Era
    Experimental -
    Advanced 2760-3054
    Standard 3055+
    Extinct 2810-3040
    Tech Rating: E/E-F(F*)-E-D

Weight: 50 tons
    BV: 1,449
    Cost: 4,133,875 C-bills

Movement: 4/6
    Engine: 200
    Double Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
    Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 83 (Endo-Steel)
    Armor: 169/169 (Ferro-Fibrous)
    Internal Armor
    Head 3 9
    Center Torso 16 24
    Center Torso (rear) 8
    Right Torso 12 18
    Right Torso (rear) 6
    Left Torso 12 18
    Left Torso (rear) 6
    Right Arm 8 16
    Left Arm 8 16
    Right Leg 12 24
    Left Leg 12 24

Weapons Loc Heat
    Gauss Rifle RT 1
    Small Laser HD 1
    ER PPC RA 15

Ammo Loc Shots
    Gauss Rifle Ammo [IS] RT 8
    Gauss Rifle Ammo [IS] RT 8

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I like both of those! The first being a kinda/sorta different branch of -4SP evolution, and the second being a mean sonuvagun in general.

I'm always down for some LL-Back action. And the Gauss-Back is a classic.

edited January 2022
    However, I'm having a hell of a time finding Campaign Operations. It's like barely any of these were printed or something. I'm bidding on a softcover copy rn but I want the damn hardcover :(

Holy shit Noble Knight Games apparently found a hardcover copy and it's en route right now 👀👀

*ThanosInfiniteGauntletMeme.gif*

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    However, I'm having a hell of a time finding Campaign Operations. It's like barely any of these were printed or something. I'm bidding on a softcover copy rn but I want the damn hardcover :(

Holy shit Noble Knight Games apparently found a hardcover copy and it's en route right now 👀👀

dude... im still looking for skeleton atlas strategic ops at a not multiple hundreds of dollar prices.
    https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Strategic_Operations

saw it in the store years ago when i was in a BT lull so didnt pick it up. "i can grab it some other time". How naïve

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png

Noble Knight, eh? So did it cost three figures, or four?

(The joke that NK's markup is insane)

edited January 2022

Noble Knight, eh? So did it cost three figures, or four?

(The joke that NK's markup is insane)

Yeah idk wtf they're thinking with most stuff but surprisingly Campaign Ops came in under a hundo so that's fine. I don't mind spending a extra for a book that didn't print much as long as it's not $$$$

dude... im still looking for skeleton atlas strategic ops at a not multiple hundreds of dollar prices.
    https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Strategic_Operations

saw it in the store years ago when i was in a BT lull so didnt pick it up. "i can grab it some other time". How naïve

Yeah you basically just need to set up camp on stuff like Ebay as a full time job to find shit like this. I was on vacation for a few months so I had time to burn.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    For all things Battletech I use Fortress Miniatures. They specialize in Battletech, UND ONLY BATTLETECH! Well, 95% Battletech.

FM's rulebook section, though they are waiting for a number of books to arrive.

The Battletech section of Miniature Market I have also found useful.

But primarily it I buy from Fortress Miniatures.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited January 2022
    Fortress is run by a guy who literally got his start buying, selling, and most importantly helping people get good value on the Facebook Battletech BST groups. Robert Ash. He's a fucking fantastic dude, and he'll not steer you wrong.

Now if he'd ever get in stock the extremely niche singles in the exact moment I want them, Fortress would have more of my money. 🤣

Nips on
    IMPORTANT FLASH POLL OF THE WEEKEND:

The Hyper-Assault Gauss, Class 20, with two barrels:

Side-by-Side Barrels, or Over-Under Barrels?

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Depends on the chassis I'd think.

I'd be inclined to do over-under to differentiate from the typical side-by-side barrels of UAC's.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yeah, it'd depend on the chassis and the location of the weapon I think.

Without knowing what it's getting strapped onto, I think I'd go with an over/under layout, with the lower barrel sticking ahead of the upper barrel.
    But I'm picturing it in a high shoulder mount, like a Hunchback.

For arms I'd say whichever orientation you use only really matters if they're gun arms like the Jager or Rifleman, in which case I'd say over/under.

For torsos I think I like over/under unless the gun is over the shoulder like the Shadowhawk; if it's like that and has wider torsos like a Champion then maybe side-by-side.

Generally I'd go with over/under as well. But there's definitely designs that could make a side-by-side look good. Like a quad with a turret should absolutely go for side by side.

camo_sig2-400.png
    Rules question!

Do crits transfer inwards like damage?

Rules question!

Do crits transfer inwards like damage?

Crits transfer if no items in the current location can be affected by critical hits, i.e, all slots are already destroyed or "roll again". If you roll more crits than there are possible crit slots, those crits are lost and do not transfer. However, this is per phase, so if you made a weapon attack that crit destroyed all items in that location, but in the melee phase an attack hit that same location and generated another crit, that melee crit does transfer since there are no items that can be affected.

If a location is destroyed by an attack (no structure left), no crits are rolled unless that location contains ammo. If the rolled crit misses the ammo slot, it is discarded without transferring.

That all makes sense, thank you!