As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The new international arrivals rules are fucking dumb.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Congrats WA. That decision will save upwards of 100 lives, minimum. As a bonus, your economy won't take a giant hit, your health system won't choke, and Clive will be so, so mad.

honestly making Clive mad is the clearest indication that it is indeed the correct action to take.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Can't be caught behind the curve of the hottest new strains again

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Well, the whole 'government seizing RATs' scandal is still going.

The QLD government has unearthed a 26 million dollar urgent contract for more RATs from the Federal government, sponsored by Motion One to supply Orawell saliva based RATs. Five suppliers have now said that their stocks of Orawell RATs have been taken by the Federal government, Motion One claim they have not actually supplied any to the federal government, and have not diverted any orders to the government.

Can't wait for the LNPs response.

-Loki- on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    They'll absolutely blame some mid-level public servant, like they always do.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hoi hoi hoi Fush and Chups,

Press conference today at 11.

Just gonna toss these images here for Life at Red just in case.
    eight_col_high_TRAFFIC-LIGHTS-RED-LONG_01.jpg?1638147220

eight_col_high_TRAFFIC-LIGHTS-RED-LONG_02.jpg?1638147237

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    We're red. I'm expecting the red rules to change into level 4 V2 sooner or later.
    The government's approach to Omicron has come under flak with microbiologist Siouxsie Wiles warning the red traffic light setting will not be enough to slow the variant down and South Auckland GP Dr Api Talemaitoga saying the government had dropped the ball on rapid antigen tests.

Gvzbgul on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    They really really really should.

I dunno that they will or that politically they can.

but we really should

edited January 2022
    They've done it every other time. So I expect they will. If 90% vaccinated Australia had problems we're going to have problems. Especially as we're less locked down.

Gvzbgul on
    I oddly enough feel less anxious today than I did yesterday.

Just

grateful that the shoe dropped and I can exhale. safely in my own home.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Difficult being in Marlborough right now, what with the outbreak and the vaccination-hesitant population.
    I can also see how the area is hurting economically from the pandemic in a way that isn't true of the cities that aren't so tourist-dependent.
    That said, it's nice being in the Sounds without having to share with 5000 cruise ship tourists.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    It's selfish of me, but I'm glad that the red light setting doesn't prevent funerals, as I really didn't want to have to deal with another within my family where we couldn't gather to grieve. Need to get my booster when eligible, but in the meantime, a burial to plan, and my parents to console.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    We're red. I'm expecting the red rules to change into level 4 V2 sooner or later.
    The government's approach to Omicron has come under flak with microbiologist Siouxsie Wiles warning the red traffic light setting will not be enough to slow the variant down and South Auckland GP Dr Api Talemaitoga saying the government had dropped the ball on rapid antigen tests.
    Yeah I'm a bit dubious of the value of the traffic light system. I get the desire to keep it 'simple' but red is such an anemic level of control and there's nowhere to go from there. The optics of revising the system with Double Red++ or whatever are not great. Especially since we're heading into a scenario which was very predictable and should have been considered when the traffic light system was first imagined.

I am fairly firmly in the pro camp regarding the govt's handling of this pandemic so far. But balls have been dropped a few times. Absolutely piss-poor implementation of widespread vaccination until we had delta spreading through the community. And this just feels too familiar. We knew Omicron was going to be here and now that it's in, it feels very unlikely that our management system is near appropriate.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Twenty-four new cases in Perth and they're still going ahead with the fireworks display this Wednesday.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Jesus Christ

e: and all in the name of invasion day lmao. Perfect

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The state opposition, rather than seizing on what is to my knowledge McGowan's first truly terrible decision as Premier, seems to be letting this one slide.

However, over the weekend a nursing assistant at Fiona Stanley Hospital mistakenly sent a COVID-positive mother and child to the emergency waiting room, and you can bet your sweet bippy they're holding McGowan personally responsible for that.

Butler on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    It’s concerning that capital has just decided now is the time to push for opening up. They’ve evidently crunched the numbers and decided the number of deaths will be at an acceptable level

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Saw a crazy person ranting about Jews and NAZI Germany in Pak n Save today, due to not being allowed in without a mask.

Poor staff being abused :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Saw a crazy person ranting about Jews and NAZI Germany in Pak n Save today, due to not being allowed in without a mask.

And that's why a state level, ir preferably federal level requirement is important.

"Sorry, sir, this isn't our decision."

Leaving it up to minimum wage employees, often not suited to confrontation, is just going to escalate aggression.

My urge to fight people over this is getting stronger and stronger. I'm in no fit mental state to be around these people.

Good thing I'm just staying home

MorganV wrote: »

And that's why a state level, ir preferably federal level requirement is important.

"Sorry, sir, this isn't our decision."

Leaving it up to minimum wage employees, often not suited to confrontation, is just going to escalate aggression.

It is a requirement in NZ. It just sucks that it's left to low waged staff to enforce.

The government’s free RAT reimbursement plan has been revealed to pharmacies and it doesn’t even cover the current wholesale price, so the government’s commitment means pharmacies will be left out of pocket.

Well done again, Scotty.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The government’s free RAT reimbursement plan has been revealed to pharmacies and it doesn’t even cover the current wholesale price, so the government’s commitment means pharmacies will be left out of pocket.

Well done again, Scotty.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/pharmacists-dub-rat-test-mess-reckless-and-negligent/news-story/3db4d69cd61227d1aaccf7c63d4dd04c
    If the Morrison Government had ordered the tests directly from wholesalers in November and December and handed them out for free it would have cost taxpayers as little as $5 per unit or per test.
    Pharmacists say they are paying as much as $12 or more for the tests wholesale in some instances, as demand soared off the back of massive orders from state and federal governments in January.

So it seems like it's a supply problem, rather than a straight "eat shit", but it could have been mitigated if this fucking government had of had even the slightest amount of forward thinking.

While it hasn't been as bad as other countries, the Australian government has, outside of statewide lockdowns, and heavy international travel restrictions, been months behind the ball at every turn.

Could have had the vaccine rollout months earlier, if they'd only decided not to put their eggs in one basket, find out there was a massive hole in that basket (Australian vaccine), then done it again with putting all their eggs in the AstraZeneca basket. Anyone who knows shit knows you diversify, for this exact reason.

Oh I’m aware it’s a supply issue (isn’t everything at the moment?) but that doesn’t excuse the government.

As you said, a bit of forward thinking and planning could have mitigated this whole mess.

But that’s the LNPs motto.

discrider wrote: »

Can't be caught behind the curve of the hottest new strains again

This post aged well (in 7 days).

Omicron BA.2 has been detected in Australia.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I find it deeply amusing that a lot of Australian media has no sense of irony about complaining about a woman failing to smile at the Prime Minister, when she received her Australian of the Year award for being a proponent of sexual assault and rape victims. There are multiple fucked up levels to the treatment of Grace Tame, but it goes to show that a man can openly call Morrison a "Complete cunt" from a truck during the bushfires crisis and be praised for it but heaven forbid a woman doesn't smile.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    No point to QR codes but do it anyway.

Hmmm, government used a crisis to build a huge infrastructure to surveil people's whereabouts at all times and despite it now not being useful for its stated purpose, they want to keep it around anyway. Whoever could have guessed? I must say, that is completely, completely unexpected.

“QR codes are a bit like wearing a face mask, they should really be ubiquitous, you simply just get used to doing it.” - University of South Australia epidemiologist Adrian Esterman

Yep, don't actually think about it, just do it anyway.

'Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews replied they were here to stay for “as long as the experts tell us they serve a purpose.”'

Mmmm, just select the appropriate experts I suppose. But they're experts, you can't disagree with them. Maybe we can do away with the political system now, people don't need to have a say on how they're governed as long as experts are in charge.

“I don’t know why it’s fatiguing, it takes two seconds.” - Mike Toole from the Burnet Institute

Good for you Mike Toole. I don't know if you've seen someone like my dad taking on this process. It's substantially longer than two seconds. But Mike Toole thinks it's fine, so as long as he's OK with it we're probably good. All for the purpose of... oh wait, now you're admitting there is no purpose. Or at least, not the purpose that was advertised while the surveillance system was being built. Yeah, but do it anyway, we get the message.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yeah, nah, it's fine. This is a stretch. We just got a new variant too so, you know, it matters again.

Pandemic isn't over, this is not the time to complain about it.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Pandemic isn't over, ergo, do whatever someone with a nametag tells you to do. Yep no problem here obviously pandemic = not allowed to think about these things.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    Pandemic isn't over, ergo, do whatever someone with a nametag tells you to do. Yep no problem here obviously pandemic = not allowed to think about these things.

gotta watch out for the coming conspiracy staffed by epidemiologists

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Sorry but I simply do not have time for it. Let me know when tracking new variants isn't important, then I will. It will not be soon.

This is conspiratorial and catastrophic thinking, and it is not, right now, helpful at all.

I'm completely comfortable with it if epidemiologists, whose opinions right now are significantly more important than anyone else here, think its worthwhile. They know what they're talking about, its literally their job to know.

Note, it is not, no matter how you want to twist it to suit your narrative, their job to spy on you, cos they certainly aren't going to give a fuck about that.

I am one of those inconvenient people that does not judge things entirely based on ideals devoid of context.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »

I mean the article itself explains why and it isn't no reason. Omicron's R0 is high enough and it's prevalent enough that contract tracing doesn't work well. But keeping the infrastructure and the habit up is useful in the event of, say, another wave that behaves like Delta. Which is by no means out of the question yet.

Perhaps do the actual thinking and don't just read the headline?

Dhalphir wrote: »
    gotta watch out for the coming conspiracy staffed by epidemiologists

Yep, it's the epidemiologists you should be worried about.. But I guess state security forces never act inappropriately, so no worries there. Let's just have a laugh at idiots proposing lizardmen, because there couldn't possibly be any real worries here.

And there aren't. That's not the corker argument you think it is mate.

Anything can be abused. That doesnt mean you get rid of it if it serves a good cause.

It means you find and plug the loopholes that allow for abuse. This is the correct answer.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Frankly, while the QR codes are useless, I'm in faux lockdown.
    When the ACT starts listing contact sites again and I can use my QR code reader to both know where I've been if I've got it, and avoid hotspots and be notified of when I might have been exposed to it, then I might feel safe 'living with Covid'

Long story short, don't need QRs if you aren't going anywhere.

Hopefully they become useful again soon.

Otherwise I have to consider returning my kid to childcare and exposing him to it unvaxxed.
    Because working at home with him as well is unsustainable.

Not in Australia, but I still religiously use the QR codes here. And if for some reason I forget to, I add a manual entry in later.

Because I want to know where I've been. And with pandemic brain fog, it's hard to recall what day it is, let alone what day and what time I went to the store that one day a week I go out.

If the govt wants to track me, they can do it without qr code scans.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I still use mine everywhere, but see so many people walking straight past them.

I think WA is going to be in for a rude shock once the hard border does ease.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    the funniest part was after the August lockdown last year started, about a week in the QR tracer app sent a notification to me "HEY! You haven't scanned in anywhere in the last week? Is everything ok?"

And I just stared at it for a bit and then laughed at the robot.

and the robot laughed back.

and then the microphone in the ceiling laughed.

and we all laughed together.

Haha

Silly government trackers can't even remember that lockdown is happening. haha. good job keeping tabs on my whereabouts there.

Hahaha so funny. such a real laugh riot.

An acquaintance of mine said that once omicron was loose in the community they figured they'd just stop scanning in anywhere since they didn't want to be directed to isolate if they were identified as a potential contact based on location tracing. Because, you know, that would be inconvenient for him.

Which is obviously a super shitty attitude and kind of an incredible take because yes, you would be asked to isolate if you were at an increased likelihood of having been exposed to the virus because that's the whole fucking point buddy. But I would not be surprised if there's a reasonable chunk of people applying similar thinking. When scanning was first introduced here some shopkeepers would ask you to show that you'd scanned in and I wish that was a practice that had been sustained, though as with everything I understand it's a burden for staff who have enough to deal with. I just think there's a lot of vague "I'll wave my phone in that direction and walk straight in" going on at the moment.

edited January 2022
    QR codes are mildly useful, as they help with tracing. The vaxpass on the other hand is without benefit. It's useless at best and actively harmful at worst. Eg, flights. You can fly with either a vax pass or a proof of a negative test. Ironically, the unvaccinated with the negative test are safer to let on a flight than an untested person with a vax pass. Because the vaccine does not prevent infection and spreading, especially against omicron. What the vax pass does is lull people in a false sense of security. It's also annoying.

Gvzbgul on