As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And to think there were folks who did them for all the relic weapons before they eased the grind.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    And to think there were folks who did them for all the relic weapons before they eased the grind.

incidentially

Me, a GW2, ESO, and Warframe player: wow the various Ultimately Shiny Weapons (TM) in these games are an awful lot of work!
    Me, looks at FFXIV: .................................... WOW NO

*edit* of the three it's somewhat comparable to GW2's level of "this is bullshit lmao!!!!!!" but yeah
    ESO at least the EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM SHINEH is a matter of taste and I'm frankly *happy* with my Hlaalu collection weapons and don't want the ultra glowy gilded raid ... nonsense. And similarly for Warframe, I *have* the weapons, weapon / frame skins I want. FFXIV and GW2 is like... no. Those are awful shiny but I'm awful lazy.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I took one look at the book of braves and threw that shit away

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    If they weren't BiS I'm not sure I'd bother with them, tho even after they cease to be I still use their glamour occasionally.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The, HW/ShB relics aren't too bad grindwise. I really want some of the ARR and SB ones, but the time commitment is pretty brutal.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Granted, the books are the hardest part grind-wise of the ARR relics- kill ten sets of three enemies, do three FATEs, do three levequests/GC levequests, do three ARR dungeons.

If I had to rate them by difficulty, well… FATEs come first, because the ones needed are the ones that rarely spawn, or you have to clear other FATEs to activate them (like the North/South Tidegate set in Western La Noscea). You pretty much need to camp them until they pop, get comfy, and catch up on reading/streaming/etc. The FATE “Surprise” in Upper La Noscea is a real pain to do because it pops without warning and it’s a “save the NPCs” one that fails if both NPCs die from damage.

Dungeons come next- the MSQ dungeons aren’t so bad, but finding a party for the optional dungeons (Hard Modes, anything not required to progress/unlock stuff) can be a pain in off-hours.

Levequests are third- with the caveat I mentioned earlier that you need to grind coupons until you’re able to access GC leves in More Donuts. These are easy enough to grind as long as you have a big supply of leves built up. You earn six a day (three every 12 hours).

Enemy hunting is the easiest- you fly around and fuck up three of each listed enemy, do that ten times and you’re done.

I’m looking ahead and seeing what the real pain in the ass of what’s left will be, and I think I found it: grinding up 80k in GC coupons to get four Bombard Cores…

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2022
    I've done complete HW relics for WAR and PLD and I'm at the aether grind for AST. Those are, all things considered, grind-wise pretty generous since there's a lot of stuff you can do somewhat passively, even though you need like 6k poetics for one step, and having a 50+ DoL/DoH helps a lot so you can buy the sand with white scrips.

I did three books for ARR PLD and then just went "meh". They're absolutely not hard, it's just so dull.

edit: the dungeons can be done unsynced.

Echo on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The dungeons were bad enough doing them solo at 80, I can't imagine doing proper runs.

• Options
    Well, I’m Lv. 58 right now- I could solo some of the lower-end stuff right now, but that still leaves the hard mode stuff and stuff like Wanderer’s Palace…

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    @Evermourn hows the JP party finder look now?

I don't have any characters left on JP with party finder unlocked and I'm curious if the proportion of JP only groups has vastly increased

I had a quick look just now, so late Friday evening, there seem to be a lot more Japanese text in the PF than I recall seeing before. To be fair I haven't been in there much in the last month.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I did the ARR PLD Zeta weapon twice. Just because it was there.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    If any of you want some easy MGP or to make some gil, this is a decent weekend.

The Fashion Report only needs Emperor's New Gloves (from a vendor in Mor Dhona; 66g) and a Sphene Ring (double check which finger slot).

The ring mats are cheap (1 sphene and 1 silver ingot).

The rings are a bit flooded on the Sarg market board but are selling for around 1000g each.

The gloves are like 28k on the MB but I expect that price to fall.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    The rings are goddamned vendor gear. You can buy them off an NPC in Ul'dah, so if the price rises above 1700, just buy off a vendor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They're even cheaper to craft :)

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Doing the third trial in Endwalker

I'm offtank as a paladin
    We get to the you must tank lb moment, and the main tank is apparently playing tank lb chicken with me, unknown to me

so we get to 3 seconds to oblivion and I smash the LB button sweating like

is this the scene in fight club where he takes his hand off the wheel, are we watching the whole party die now?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Granted, the books are the hardest part grind-wise of the ARR relics- kill ten sets of three enemies, do three FATEs, do three levequests/GC levequests, do three ARR dungeons.

If I had to rate them by difficulty, well… FATEs come first, because the ones needed are the ones that rarely spawn, or you have to clear other FATEs to activate them (like the North/South Tidegate set in Western La Noscea). You pretty much need to camp them until they pop, get comfy, and catch up on reading/streaming/etc. The FATE “Surprise” in Upper La Noscea is a real pain to do because it pops without warning and it’s a “save the NPCs” one that fails if both NPCs die from damage.

Dungeons come next- the MSQ dungeons aren’t so bad, but finding a party for the optional dungeons (Hard Modes, anything not required to progress/unlock stuff) can be a pain in off-hours.

Levequests are third- with the caveat I mentioned earlier that you need to grind coupons until you’re able to access GC leves in More Donuts. These are easy enough to grind as long as you have a big supply of leves built up. You earn six a day (three every 12 hours).

Enemy hunting is the easiest- you fly around and fuck up three of each listed enemy, do that ten times and you’re done.

I’m looking ahead and seeing what the real pain in the ass of what’s left will be, and I think I found it: grinding up 80k in GC coupons to get four Bombard Cores…

80k is mad easy tbh. Just need/greed on everything while you're running your roulettes or dungeons and then turn in.

If you have all your crafters/gatherers at a decent level you could probably get that in two days of GC turn-ins.

• Options

I'm offtank as a paladin
    We get to the you must tank lb moment, and the main tank is apparently playing tank lb chicken with me, unknown to me

is this the scene in fight club where he takes his hand off the wheel, are we watching the whole party die now?

I got that for the first time as a tank in the trial roulette today.
    Other tank was a first-timer that never turned their threat thingie on. I was there going "shit, is this a tank LB3 fight? I can't remember!"

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I'm offtank as a paladin

Other tank was a first-timer that never turned their threat thingie on. I was there going "shit, is this a tank LB3 fight? I can't remember!"

and then
    some party member says with literally one second to go "need tank lb" and the new tank is like

https://youtu.be/CehifIS6CRc

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    heenato wrote: »
    so I was curious about something and I logged in on my first character I ever made on the service account on sargantas. I never got really far with that character so shrug but oh man was it a blast from the past. For one, they had flash on their hotbar. And the other was They were contemporary with THIS event. and then I went and looked up when this event happened and I'm crumbling into dust.

Pwc4MeW.png?2

Damnit.

Now I really want a FFXI remaster. :rotate:

Taru >>>>>>>>>> Lala

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I'm offtank as a paladin

and then
    some party member says with literally one second to go "need tank lb" and the new tank is like

https://youtu.be/CehifIS6CRc
    I actually got it on my first try on day 3 of Endwalker because I noticed the on-screen cue just in time.
    oz9KebY.jpg
    I had been already in place to cover the party with Passage of Arms, but once I saw that line I realized, "That's a limit break." and mashed the button.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Re the Fashion Report this week, a reminder that the ring needs to be on your left hand, and the glam of the gloves will work just as well as having the actual item on.

• Options
    Book 6 in the books. Keep hoping Wanderer's will show up in one of the books as a dungeon I need to run (need mobs from there to finish off my last GC hunting log), at this point I could end up with enough for a bombard core right now and just stash the damned thing for less grinding later.

I... need to start a crafter, then. I've got almost 400k in the bank (more if I can swap some over from an alt), and well... I don't mind investing some cash. I just want to make sure I'll have 400k in the future because I'll need it.

I was thinking of rolling culinarian for my first job... or is there something easier/cheaper to go into?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For efficiency purposes, I usually go with all of the crafters and all of the gatherers at once in parallel. Aside from mainhand/offhand, the DoHs all share gear and the DoLs all share gear. Yeah, they'll hit 90 slower than if you powerleveled just one of them, but they're self-sufficient this way.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also, if you're like me and don't care about them being self sufficient, but do care about minimizing gear storage requirements, because they all share gear, if you level them one at a time you'll need to keep about 7 different sets of gear on hand as each progresses through the level requirements in turn. Whereas if you level them in parallel, once all of them are, for example, level 50, you can ditch all of your sub 50 DOH/DOL gear permanently since you'll by definition never need it again.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I checked probably my biggest item off my bucket list today and completely lucked into getting a medium plot. Guess now I get to go really hard into decorating

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Also, if you're like me and don't care about them being self sufficient, but do care about minimizing gear storage requirements, because they all share gear, if you level them one at a time you'll need to keep about 7 different sets of gear on hand as each progresses through the level requirements in turn. Whereas if you level them in parallel, once all of them are, for example, level 50, you can ditch all of your sub 50 DOH/DOL gear permanently since you'll by definition never need it again.

Yeah, my main reason for leveling them in parallel is to not waste so damn much space on all those separate gear sets.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Broadly speaking I prefer the aesthetics of a lot of crafted trial weapons over relic weapons anyway

Sure, maybe that's the Eureka gun, but THIS? This is mf'ing Ravana's gun

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    for crafters honestly I usually just keep like the capstone stuff and at this point in the game's lifecycle that's usually enough to push you to the next.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Post HW patch content:
    Oh my god that fight with Titan is... really heart wrenching D: where the little kobold boy accidentally summons Titan because the shaman murdered his parents, and then Titan is just. Repeating the boy's words. Damn.

Meanwhile...
    Hey, wait a sec, is that... is that Urianger? THAT'S WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE UNDER THAT GOOFY HOOD AND GOGGLES!? SIR IT IS ILLEGAL TO BE THAT HOT, WHAT. Good grief! Moenbryda was RIGHT.

• Options
    When you see what Urianger wears for Shadowbringers you're going to scream

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Well, I suppose I can start leveling crafters, then. It'll give me a break from books.

Though I only have three left to do- one sword and both shield books- I could use a break.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, I suppose I can start leveling crafters, then. It'll give me a break from books.

Though I only have three left to do- one sword and both shield books- I could use a break.

Depending on your chosen method for leveling crafters, I recommend you start with BSM, LTW, WVR since you can then make yourself gear as you level. Those 3 cover most of the gear but not quite all.

• Options
    ...I'm done.

All nine Zodiac books are finished, and true to form the last thing I did was a run of Cutter's Cry (took an hour because nobody runs goddamned Cutter's Cry any more). So now my sword and board have a nice, wonderful glow to them, and I'm halfway done with the ARR Relic. Thank anything that's done.

So now I'm looking at taking my new relic and stuffing it full of so much materia and Alexandrite that it's going to look like a goddamned metal turducken by the time I'm done with it. Alexandrite, on the other hand, is going to be a problem, because it's going to require doing one of a few things:

1) Mysterious maps (one a day through quests or 75 tomestones each). I'm trying to dig up a list of map locations, but the last time I went map hunting with friends years ago, the site they used to decipher maps had computer-eating popups. Are there better resources for this these days?

2) Hunt trains. A and S-rank hunts give out Alexandrite, and you can grab a few pieces in exchange for seals (50 seals to one piece).

3) FATE grinding (oh joy). There's a small chance of finding Alexandrite after a successful FATE.

Finally, what stats should I be boosting? I'm thinking of something like physical damage, maybe tenacity- I don't know how far through HW the relic is going to carry me, but I'd like to squeak as much out of it as I can and I don't know what kinds of abilities Paladin gets from 50 - 60 yet- should I worry about boosting healing magic or anything? Or is Paladin still pretty physical from 50 - 60?

Just... thank anything low-level materia is goddamned cheap...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    For maps I've rarely found them too hard to figure out myself tbh. Also note that BLU is a good source of allied seals.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Relic weapons usually last until 5 levels past the previous cap, at which point the 55/65/75/85 dungeon weapon replaces it.

I would almost never recommend investing in tenacity outside of extremely specific situations. For the most part crit and determination are solid choices for every role.

Wouldn't worry too much about it really, relics are mainly good for the shiny glams.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    also, unless you're doing synced ex/savage content you dont need to worry about melding materia. at all. most content in the game is balanced fine without it.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    heenato wrote: »
    also, unless you're doing synced ex/savage content you dont need to worry about melding materia. at all. most content in the game is balanced fine without it.

But also the game throws materia at you and at least VIII is dirt cheap so why not?

That said, it’s definitely an easier sell when you have at least one crafter at cap and can meld/remove your own stuff.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    my friend who got me into this nonsense has offered to buy me EW for my birthday and I'm handwringing because I don't want to waste my free month on a) the shortest month of the year (february) when I will b) get distracted by the new GW2 xpac

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I’m pretty sure a game time month is 30 days no matter what.

• Options
    the "free month" is just 30 days of playtime, not a literal month :P

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.